What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on Cedric Benson for this year and beyond (1 Viewer)

ILoveMyLions

Footballguy
Seems to be the forgotten man of the Big 3 RBs from last year. With all the talk about Caddy and R. Brown, is Benson flying under the radar somewhat? I saw he was ranked at around #20 in the dynasty rankings done a month or so ago, but his value seems less than that in many cirlces. I'm considering targeting him in my dynasty league, but I have a few questions that I need answered and I thought others might benefit from the discussion as well.

Any thoughts as to whether he'll be splitting carries this year with Jones or will the split of carries be more 60/40...70/30?...?

Will he have the job outright after this upcoming season?

Can he hold up as he seems to always have a nagging injury?

Any input would be appreciated...

Benson is a good RB prospect to hold on to in a dynasty league. I think it will be RBBC in 2006 with Jones getting the most carries. Something like 70% Jones and 30% Benson.

I have Benson as a 10th round DV keeper and I'm uncertain whether I should drop my 10th round pick to keep him.

If T. Jones gets hurt or traded then Benson should be a top 15 RB. However, T. Jones is still around so Benson will get 50% of carries at most.

My current projection for Benson in 2006: 650 yards and 5 TD.

I'm a big Tom Jones fan and think he did a great job last year. But I believe Benson will be HUGE next year towards the mid/end of the year.

After his terrific season last year, Jones will undoubtedly open the season as the primary ballcarrier.

However, make no mistake about it. Benson wasn't drafted at #4 overall to sit on the bench long-term.

If Benson can prove himself and stay healthy, all he needs is one injury or slump by Jones to assume the job full-time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is T. Jones' contract situation. Didn't he just re-up with Da Bears last year? How many years was that for?

Seems to be the forgotten man of the Big 3 RBs from last year. With all the talk about Caddy and R. Brown, is Benson flying under the radar somewhat? I saw he was ranked at around #20 in the dynasty rankings done a month or so ago, but his value seems less than that in many cirlces. I'm considering targeting him in my dynasty league, but I have a few questions that I need answered and I thought others might benefit from the discussion as well.

Any thoughts as to whether he'll be splitting carries this year with Jones or will the split of carries be more 60/40...70/30?...?

Will he have the job outright after this upcoming season?

Can he hold up as he seems to always have a nagging injury?

Any input would be appreciated...
It's way too early to say whether Lovie Smith and Ron Turner will consider an RBBC or just make the training camp an open battle for the starting job, but when Turner talked about the Griese signing, he mentioned Thomas Jones as a "core" player, not Benson. My honest guess right now is that it will be exactly as it was last year, at least until Jones gets hurt (and he proved to be very durable last year). Nothing about Jones's performance last year indicates to me that it was a fluke, and the QB play will only get better, opening more lanes for him. I see no way that Benson completely relegates Jones to the bench, Jones is just too useful and solid of a player. Benson may just have to wait for a trade or Jones's contract to expire (2 more years) before he gets a shot - although at some point the bears are going to have to get some return on the huge investment in him - a trade is not out of the question if Jones picks up where he left off last year.I would not worry about his durability, he was a true workhorse at Texas for 4 years and held up well under an NFL type workload. I liked what I saw of Benson in the first half of the SF game before he got hurt- he runs decisively, and is a great fit for any power running attack.

Benson was playing very well when he went down with the injury last season. I believe he would have been splitting carries with Jones by the end of the season if he hadn't been hurt. Benson could easily take the starting spot during preseason considering the current Coach/GM took him with the #4 pick. Jones has been great & should be starting in the league, but Benson would seem to be the prototype back for the Chicago run offense. Chicago is 3 deep at RB, so Jones could certainly end up on another team if a decent offer is made.

when Turner talked about the Griese signing, he mentioned Thomas Jones as a "core" player, not Benson.
At the moment, Jones is a core player. I believe the Chicago staff showed how quickly things can change with their QB situation last season. Orton went 10-5 & all the talk was that he wouldn't lose his job to Grossman when he came back. One week after Grossman is healthy & put up decent numbers he was named the starter for the playoffs. Offseason they pick up Greise & now Orton is looking at 3rd string.If Benson shows up in training camp/preseason & wows the staff by looking like the #4 pick, he could push ahead of Jones & never look back.

when Turner talked about the Griese signing, he mentioned Thomas Jones as a "core" player, not Benson.
At the moment, Jones is a core player. I believe the Chicago staff showed how quickly things can change with their QB situation last season. Orton went 10-5 & all the talk was that he wouldn't lose his job to Grossman when he came back. One week after Grossman is healthy & put up decent numbers he was named the starter for the playoffs. Offseason they pick up Greise & now Orton is looking at 3rd string.If Benson shows up in training camp/preseason & wows the staff by looking like the #4 pick, he could push ahead of Jones & never look back.
One place where your comparison of situations breaks down is that Thomas Jones was actually one of the 15 or 20 best RBs in the NFL last year, while Orton was one of the worst starting QBs. Orton was also a rookie that was rushed to the field because of Grossman's injury. I agree that they'll make changes that they think will help the team win, but you're asking for Benson to CLEARLY outplay Jones in the preseason, and Im not sure thats possible if Jones is as good as he was last year.

in a new dynasty draft going on right now at antsports, Benson went in the 5th round. I'd say that's quite a bargin for that talented of a RB!

I have Benson as a 10th round DV keeper and I'm uncertain whether I should drop my 10th round pick to keep him.

If T. Jones gets hurt or traded then Benson should be a top 15 RB. However, T. Jones is still around so Benson will get 50% of carries at most.

My current projection for Benson in 2006: 650 yards and 5 TD.
Wrong forum, but... for a 10th rounder, i think it's worth keeping him. It's certainly not uncommon to see back-up RBs go in the 10th round.

One place where your comparison of situations breaks down is that Thomas Jones was actually one of the 15 or 20 best RBs in the NFL last year, while Orton was one of the worst starting QBs. Orton was also a rookie that was rushed to the field because of Grossman's injury.
Just a few more opinions. While Orton was certainly a low end QB, he did have more game time experience than Grossman by the time he was replaced. Grossman would also have to be labelled a low end QB, so the difference in talent level wasn't that large for the coaching staff to make such a quick flipflop in their public opinions of the 2 QBs. It just looked to me like they decided Grossman gave them there only chance to advance in the playoffs. They could easily decide whilee Jones was a solid gamer, Benson would be needed to get them to the next level.I thought all 3 of the Chicago RBs looked really good when they got a chance to play. When that happens I start thinking it is just as much the system & OL as it is the individual RBs. Bensons style & size would much better fit the Bears power running game than Jones. I also think if Benson looks strong in preseason that Chicago could view it as a problem situation instead of looking at it as great depth. Benson had talked about taking over the RB spot as soon as 2 weeks after his signing, I'm not sure how quitely he would sit if he was playing well.It's all speculation, & I wouldn't bet even money on it, but I think Benson has a good chance before preseason is over. If Jones gets nicked up, it could be over quickly.

I honestly think Benson expected to be handed the starting job after a couple of games.

He's always been 'the guy' in high school and in college, so why would the pros be any different.

He came in with a crappy attitude, pouted over his number of carries and how he was being used, and then 'jaked it' according to coaches (if you read between the lines with the beat reporters) late in the season, when he could have been playing.

If he comes in with a fresh attitude and a competitive spirit, I see no reason why he won't split carries 50/50 this season. If not, then he'll be splitting carries with Adrian Peterson in the the third quarter while Thomas Jones rests up for the fourth quarter.

FWIW, I have Benson #18 in terms of dynasty.

Reflecting the sentiments of most posters so far, I really don't think Benson do enough to warrant starting in standard sized leagues. I think he'll play enough to have an impact on Thomas Jones #s though. 2007-2008 is another story all together. But that's two season's away! I'm not sure I can "sink" a 5th rounder into Benson in a start-up dynasty, knowing that i'd be screwed for at least a year. That's like giving up next season before it even begins. Not the best mindset.

I honestly think Benson expected to be handed the starting job after a couple of games.

He's always been 'the guy' in high school and in college, so why would the pros be any different.

He came in with a crappy attitude, pouted over his number of carries and how he was being used, and then 'jaked it' according to coaches (if you read between the lines with the beat reporters) late in the season, when he could have been playing.

If he comes in with a fresh attitude and a competitive spirit, I see no reason why he won't split carries 50/50 this season. If not, then he'll be splitting carries with Adrian Peterson in the the third quarter while Thomas Jones rests up for the fourth quarter.
:goodposting: Teams don't spend that hig of a pick and that much cash and then have the guy play the bench. He will get a ton of carries in the preseason and he will be starting pretty early on in the reg. season. If they can get a QB that can stretch the field, Cedric and the Bears are going to put up some serious points on some people as the D forces a lot of 3 and outs and gets the ball back in the O's hands....The Bears could be monsters in 2006 on both sides of the ball, and TJones will be an afterthought by mid season....

Same with Thomas Jones and just about everybody else in the NFL.
Very true....Being the guy in HS has little or no bearing in the NFL....I'm sure Ryan LEaf was the guy in HS....As was Rashaan Salaam....

Teams don't spend that hig of a pick and that much cash and then have the guy play the bench.
Really? Phillip Rivers, among others would have something to say about that. Yes, it's very rare for a guy that is picked that high and with so much cash invested to sit for too long. But if Thomas Jones is more effective, and if the Bears can afford to pay Benson and Thomas Jones (and they can), there's no reason to believe Thomas Jones won't be taking the majority of carries.

I think fans often place too much emphasis on stuff like size of contract, where a guy was drafted, which GM drafted him, etc.

The front office doesn't make decisions about playing time. The coaches do. And the coaches just want to win games. They will play whoever is more effective.

Whether that's Jones or Benson I don't know. But that's the analysis we should be focusing on -- not how much they are being paid, etc.

for you dynasty owners.

i traded Benson for J. Jones
Wow, me too. (I also got TJ Housmanzadeh and Jason Campbell while giving up Deion Branch).Sorry reread your post. I traded J. Jones and got Cedric Benson.

Teams don't spend that hig of a pick and that much cash and then have the guy play the bench.
Really? Phillip Rivers, among others would have something to say about that. Yes, it's very rare for a guy that is picked that high and with so much cash invested to sit for too long. But if Thomas Jones is more effective, and if the Bears can afford to pay Benson and Thomas Jones (and they can), there's no reason to believe Thomas Jones won't be taking the majority of carries.
Apples and Oranges. QB's generally don't step in their rookie year and compete at a pro-bowl level. Rookie RB's do that at a much higher rate. It's often very good for a rookie QB to ride the pine a year or two and learn what it takes to be an NFL QB. For rookie RB's, once they get their blocking skills up to par they are usually dropped into the O and they are off to the races. Cedric held out like an idiot and missed all that time to work on his intangibles....That won't be the case this year. He will hit the ground running in more ways than one....

BTW, I can only think of a few situations where a running back was picked in the first round by a team that already had a runner who was performing as well as TJ.The Chiefs drafted Larry Johnson while Priest Holmes was there.

The Bills drafted Willis McGahee while Travis Henry was there.

The Bengals drafted Chris Perry while Rudi Johnson was there.

The Rams drafted Trung Canidate and Steven Jackson while Marchall Faulk was there.

The Saints drafted Deuce McAllister while Ricky Williams was there.

(Feel free to add any others you can think of.)

In each case, the veteran got the nod until he missed time with injury (which hasn't happened yet in the Bengals' case).

BTW, I can only think of a few situations where a running back was picked in the first round by a team that already had a runner who was performing as well as TJ.The Chiefs drafted Larry Johnson while Priest Holmes was there.

The Bills drafted Willis McGahee while Travis Henry was there.

The Bengals drafted Chris Perry while Rudi Johnson was there.

The Rams drafted Trung Canidate and Steven Jackson while Marchall Faulk was there.

The Saints drafted Deuce McAllister while Ricky Williams was there.

(Feel free to add any others you can think of.)

In each case, the veteran got the nod until he missed time with injury (which hasn't happened yet in the Bengals' case).
:goodposting: And the trend here is that the rook became the starter in every single case except Cinci and with Perry's playmaking ability, that could all change this year....

Slightly misleading. In those examples, either the incumbent got injured or the upstart played better than the incumbent.

So would you really stake a high-mid round pick on a guy who has to beat out the incumbent and/or pray for an injury to the incumbent?

Fact of the matter is that Benson has to play much better than Thomas Jones if he is to become the featured runner. Or hope that Jones gets injured. Benson isn't going to be handed the feature role just because he was a #4 overall pick.

After his terrific season last year, Jones will undoubtedly open the season as the primary ballcarrier.

However, make no mistake about it. Benson wasn't drafted at #4 overall to sit on the bench long-term.

If Benson can prove himself and stay healthy, all he needs is one injury or slump by Jones to assume the job full-time.

This post has been edited by zamboni: Today, 09:52 AM

VERY :goodposting:

Let's be reasonable with predictions here. No way will Benson get more then 30% of the carries without Thomas Jones getting injured. Jones did it all last year running, blocking, screens... You don't put that on the bench because your first round pick has a higher salary.

I've got Benson as a keeper too but the only way I expect him to get some fantasy points is with a Jones injury.

Fortunately Jones has gotten banged up and missed some playing time both of the last two season. So I think it's worth holding on to Benson and waiting for the injury even though I see 0% change Benson flat out beats Jones for the starting job in preseason.

In a dynasty league (in which I have Tom Jones), I paid 2006 1.04, Mike Anderson, Bobby Engram, and 2007 2nd rounder.

I might have overpaid but I wanted to lock up the Bear RBs.

Slightly misleading. In those examples, either the incumbent got injured or the upstart played better than the incumbent.

So would you really stake a high-mid round pick on a guy who has to beat out the incumbent and/or pray for an injury to the incumbent?

Fact of the matter is that Benson has to play much better than Thomas Jones if he is to become the featured runner. Or hope that Jones gets injured. Benson isn't going to be handed the feature role just because he was a #4 overall pick.
FYI, Thomas Jones hasn't started 16 games in his entire career. I don't think it's going to take prayers for him to go down.

Really surprising how high people are on Thomas Jones, and how worthless they believe Benson is. Jones was a decent player, but you'd think he was LaDanian Tomlinson the way people act like he has a death grip on the job.

Thomas Jones is a solid player, nothing more. Cedric Benson is capable of being a special player. If they both perform up to the best of their abilities, Cedric Benson walks away with this job by a mile.

While Thomas Jones did miss time last year with a rib injury, he also played through a knee injury that some said would sideline him, and returned after missing only one week after the rib injury. He may not be made of steel, but he doesnt have a slow healer or pain threshold problem.

Really surprising how high people are on Thomas Jones, and how worthless they believe Benson is. Jones was a decent player, but you'd think he was LaDanian Tomlinson the way people act like he has a death grip on the job.

Thomas Jones is a solid player, nothing more. Cedric Benson is capable of being a special player. If they both perform up to the best of their abilities, Cedric Benson walks away with this job by a mile.
Not sure I agree with that. At draft time they were both top 10 talents. Jones just got stuck in the desert for awhile.

Really surprising how high people are on Thomas Jones, and how worthless they believe Benson is.    Jones was a decent player, but you'd think he was LaDanian Tomlinson the way people act like he has a death grip on the job.   

Thomas Jones is a solid player, nothing more.  Cedric Benson is capable of being a special player.    If they both perform up to the best of their abilities, Cedric Benson walks away with this job by a mile.
Not sure I agree with that. At draft time they were both top 10 talents. Jones just got stuck in the desert for awhile.
Only one was a top 5 talent.And it isn't where they were drafted that makes Thomas Jones merely above average, it's how he runs. He doesn't have a lot of vision. He is completely incapable of moving a pile. He goes down on the 1st contact the vast majority of the time. About the only thing he does really well is run with speed. He's not a workhorse, wear out the defense type of RB by any means. I don't buy the whole "Desert" argument. He wasn't effective because he couldn't beat out Michael Pittman at first, and then when he left he was inferior to Marcel friggin Shipp. It's really no wonder why the guy took 6 years to become a 1000 yard runner, he's simply not that good.

Benson meanwhile has the upside to be something special.

Really surprising how high people are on Thomas Jones, and how worthless they believe Benson is.    Jones was a decent player, but you'd think he was LaDanian Tomlinson the way people act like he has a death grip on the job.    

Thomas Jones is a solid player, nothing more.  Cedric Benson is capable of being a special player.    If they both perform up to the best of their abilities, Cedric Benson walks away with this job by a mile.
Only one was a top 5 talent.And it isn't where they were drafted that makes Thomas Jones merely above average, it's how he runs. He doesn't have a lot of vision. He is completely incapable of moving a pile. He goes down on the 1st contact the vast majority of the time. About the only thing he does really well is run with speed. He's not a workhorse, wear out the defense type of RB by any means. I don't buy the whole "Desert" argument. He wasn't effective because he couldn't beat out Michael Pittman at first, and then when he left he was inferior to Marcel friggin Shipp. It's really no wonder why the guy took 6 years to become a 1000 yard runner, he's simply not that good.

Why? Because he was in college. Many think he was nothing but a plodder in college. Strong but average speed, folded against the top competition. Jones was special in college too, that's why he was the 7th pick in the draft. Benson was outplayed last year by Adrian Peterson. Let's not talk about how special Benson is until he actually does something besides fetching Thomas Jones' gatorade cup.

FYI, Thomas Jones hasn't started 16 games in his entire career.
Neither has Cedric Benson. :bag:
Considering Cedric Benson has played one season where he held out the entire preseason and Thomas Jones has played 6, you of course have to realize this is a silly comparison.

Considering Cedric Benson has played one season where he held out the entire preseason and Thomas Jones has played 6, you of course have to realize this is a silly comparison.
Didn't he suffer a knee injury which required surgery during the course of the season? And note, the :bag: . Obviously you can't read between the lines.

And I won't even start on your assertions that Benson is a "top 5 talent". Sounds like a lot of bull.

Why? Because he was in college. Many think he was nothing but a plodder in college. Strong but average speed, folded against the top competition. Jones was special in college too, that's why he was the 7th pick in the draft. Benson was outplayed last year by Adrian Peterson. Let's not talk about how special Benson is until he actually does something besides fetching Thomas Jones' gatorade cup.
Did you actually watch him play at all at college? I'm sure you were one of the same guys writing off LJ and his "diapers" a couple of years ago too because he hadn't gotten an opportunity to perform. Thomas Jones has had 6 years in this league, and the best he has been able to come up with is above average. 1300 yards isn't special, and this is about what Thomas Jones' upside is. Sure, it isn't 100% guaranteed that Benson will be special, but it is 100% guaranteed that Thomas Jones isn't at this point.

everyone that says benson can be "special" - can you elaborate a little?

I like Benson a lot as a chainmover. i watched almost all of his games at UT. He can definitely be a great Rb to wear the defense into submission - similar to the way cincy uses rudi, or how dillon was used in NE in 04, but im not sure about "special" - he's not a great receiver or blocker and is unlikely to be an everydown back unless he makes big strides in those areas. He was never a real "big play" type RB at UT, and he was surrounded by great talent on offense (something i hear as an argument against bush, but never hear against benson). he also has some character issues, as he had some off the field incidents at UT, quit baseball after he got his money from dodgers, and as was alluded to earlier in this thread, there are some questions about his effort last year...

Benson is still a very solid long term investment in dynasty leagues, but he certainly has not done as much to live up to his draft slot as caddy or ronnie brown.

Didn't he suffer a knee injury which required surgery during the course of the season? And note, the :bag: . Obviously you can't read between the lines.

And I won't even start on your assertions that Benson is a "top 5 talent". Sounds like a lot of bull.
No, his injury did not require surgery. And was Benson drafted in the top 5 or wasn't he? I don't know how you can start on something that is 100% fact.

Did you actually watch him play at all at college? I'm sure you were one of the same guys writing off LJ and his "diapers" a couple of years ago too because he hadn't gotten an opportunity to perform. Thomas Jones has had 6 years in this league, and the best he has been able to come up with is above average. 1300 yards isn't special, and this is about what Thomas Jones' upside is. Sure, it isn't 100% guaranteed that Benson will be special, but it is 100% guaranteed that Thomas Jones isn't at this point.
Of course I watched him in college and I thought he was the least special of the 3 backs.

No, his injury did not require surgery. And was Benson drafted in the top 5 or wasn't he? I don't know how you can start on something that is 100% fact.
benson was a top 5 pick last year, but the top of the draft was WEAK! I dont think Benson would even be top 10 this year.

Users who are viewing this thread