What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (2 Viewers)

I get and appreciate the fishing, you have a few on the hook.  :thumbup:

But this should be set straight.. Jack, Palmer and Hogan were all time great golfers.  Tiger is on another level.  Tiger was (still is but to a lesser extent) bigger than golf.  

It is a farce to compare mere good golfers (mortals) to Tigers greatness as a force in the lives we have lived (forget golf).  Really only one athlete in history to put in the same sentence with him.
So dumb.... 

Fanbois gonna boi I guess. 

Meh...Jack had far worse equipment. And worse golf balls.

Oh, and he didn't have steroids either
It isn't even a conversation about who was the best golfer.

Tiger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> golf.

These other great golfers were merely that.. golfers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Jordan had a bigger impact on our lives.

But not in respect to their transcendence of the sport they played.

I mean Tiger made golf huge.  Golf.

eta - golf isn't even a sport and Tiger made it huge.

Cancels nothing, you said Jack wasn't on the same level, then teased us with an empty follow up on who you did think was in Tiger's level.  Weak schtick.....
Jack doesn't belong in the same sentence, sorry.

I can relate to how annoying it is when someone cuts through your bullcrap.. been there.

Looks like all the discussion is in the Tiger thread and not The Open thread. I think that means something.
Exactly.

Golf is worthless without this guy.

Gone for 5 years and we were fed what, a dozen guys that were gonna take his place?  He shows up and the tiny tournaments are getting better ratings than any major in the last 5 years.

He has transcended the game of golf.  He has transcended the industry of golf.

Exactly.

Golf is worthless without this guy.

Gone for 5 years and we were fed what, a dozen guys that were gonna take his place?  He shows up and the tiny tournaments are getting better ratings than any major in the last 5 years.

He has transcended the game of golf.  He has transcended the industry of golf.
This is the sort of small mindedness that voted for Trump.

Oh, I see....golf channel must have been on hiatus when Tiger was in rehab.  DFS must have just paused until he played again?  Golf Magazine stopped subscribing when he was in sex rehab?
Trivia - Golf Channels biggest audience in the previous years?  The LEAD IN show for the Honda Classic.  Not the tournament.  The lead in show.  Want to guess the topic?

Yep, Tiger.

Like you too, GB.  Just not enamored with Tiger.  So many good golfers out there right now.  Wish the world would see that, but I never did fall for popular.  

Friendly wager on Tiger in the PGA?
To reiterate.  I'm not here for a debate on Tiger's golf prowess.

Tiger is beyond that now.  Like Jordan and basketball.  Who cares about who the best was or is?  These guys made the sport/industry.  These guys are why you are able to watch these other guys try to be them on TV.

Jack had a small piece of what Tiger has.  Just the world and technology and industry was not ready for him.  Perhaps I would backtrack and allow him in the same sentence/breath as Tiger.

To reiterate.  I'm not here for a debate on Tiger's golf prowess.

Tiger is beyond that now.  Like Jordan and basketball.  Who cares about who the best was or is?  These guys made the sport/industry.  These guys are why you are able to watch these other guys try to be them on TV.
I dunno man...I think you are reaching. Jordan was great.  So was Magic and Kareem and Wilt and Dr. J, Etc.  The sport was fine before and after Jordan.  

I know Tiger had a huge impact, but I don't think golf was hurting without him.  I worked at the Dallas Country Club for 6 years in the 80s/90s....I don't remember too many vacant tee times.  Arnold Palmer has a golf tournament and a drink named after him.  I have Ben Hogan irons in my bag. I skipped school to watch the Byron Nelson.  The sport of golf was big before Tiger and will be fine when he's gone.  

I don't think Tiger will win another major.  The field is too good now.  I'm willing to wager on it.  :thumbup:

I dunno man...I think you are reaching. Jordan was great.  So was Magic and Kareem and Wilt and Dr. J, Etc.  The sport was fine before and after Jordan.  

I know Tiger had a huge impact, but I don't think golf was hurting without him.  I worked at the Dallas Country Club for 6 years in the 80s/90s....I don't remember too many vacant tee times.  Arnold Palmer has a golf tournament and a drink named after him.  I have Ben Hogan irons in my bag. I skipped school to watch the Byron Nelson.  The sport of golf was big before Tiger and will be fine when he's gone.  

I don't think Tiger will win another major.  The field is too good now.  I'm willing to wager on it.  :thumbup:
ESPN had an article a while back after Tiger had been sucking and golf popularity,  playing, viewership, etc was way down. Pretty sure they attributed it largely to Tiger.

I get he was awesome but I don’t get people not being entertained with today’s batch of golfers.

I’d bet he’s not winning another major as well but it’s amazing how he’s come back. I thought he was down for sure.

Him catching Jack though is crazy long shot though. Like Browns winning Super Bowl in next 3 years type odds.

I’m a huge golf fan and not a Tiger fan but loved having him in the mix yesterday. I’m not sure how you can deny the narrative that Tiger having the lead at one point yesterday wasn’t great for the game and didn’t add juice to yesterday. You had the two most accomplished players of this new generation (Rory and Jordan) in the mix along with a generational player who hasn’t been in the mix for a major for a long time. Great theater yesterday, I screamed when Rory nailed that eagle. 

I’m still going to win my bet with Binky easily as there are so many solid golfers with serious game right now that I don’t see Tiger winning another major let alone 5 but it would be great to see him in the mix again.

Users who are viewing this thread