What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiktok (1 Viewer)

I find it crazy when a 4th grader has the latest iPhone A simple flip phone at that age is good enough. Call for ride home or hey going to friends house is all that is needed at that age.I got my first phone at 8th grade but wasn't allowed to have it at school 
Thats like giving your kid a commodore 64 in 1992 when all the kids in the hood have Nintendo. 

[AbeSimpson]"What's the difference sonny, it's a game, it has a controller...in my day we had to walk...."[/AbeSimpson]

Also, funniest part is that the mostly likely people the kids are texting with are their parents. Parents will text with their kids all day long. Sometimes, a kid gets scolded in class about something and 2 minutes later, the parent is calling the class or sending an email asking the teacher yelled at their kid. 
I usually text them to ask if they saw the TikTok I posted and why they haven’t liked it yet.  It’s not like it’s something completely unimportant.

Last edited by a moderator:
the kids will only be upset for a few days/weeks/ however long it takes for the next "MOST POPULAR APP"  to show up.

Trump is gonna ban tiktok today?
I’m not sure under what authority he would have to do so. I could see banning it for any federal employees due to the security risk, but I don’t even know how banning it entirely in the US would be technologically feasible other than I guess forcing Apple and Google to delist it from their app stores.

Even if its the right thing to do (I dont believe for a second that any Chinese firm would stand up to the government and deny them data access. No doubt in my mind they're sharing with them) anything like this coming from Trump just seems like some silly vendetta at this point.

The fact that its got a silly name like TikTok and that he announced it with the helicopter noise blaring in the background doesn't help matters.  It just makes him sound like a buffoon.

I’m not sure under what authority he would have to do so. I could see banning it for any federal employees due to the security risk, but I don’t even know how banning it entirely in the US would be technologically feasible other than I guess forcing Apple and Google to delist it from their app stores.
He was able get Huawei banned

I was wondering that also.  I assume they can probably dig up some past legislation that gives the president authority under a "national security" umbrella.  I have mixed feelings about this - I definitely think TikTok is a net negative for society and will not be sorry if it disappears, but that's different than saying it should be banned.  Ideally, instead of banning a specific app through EO, Congress should pass a law specifying data collection/privacy standards that apps need to meet.  That way you're addressing the root concern and if TokTik, TikiTocky, etc. get released to get around the ban, you're still covered.

National Security last I heard. Assuming they didn't change the reason 5 times since then.
uuuummmmm. what's that now?  :confused:  

Of course, knowing this admin and their inability to focus on detail, the app will be back here, legally, with a simple name change :lol:  

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I am curious how much people actually use TikTok and at what point does that usage become a problem.

Case in point. I consider my wife addicted to it. Yesterday was EXHIBIT A. She woke up at 9 AM, basically started in on watching videos once she woke up, never left the house, and didn't stop until after 2 AM. Didn't even put her phone down during meals.

To say it is annoying is an understatement. She texts me TikTok videos that she thinks are funny, poignant, political, hit close to home, or whatever multiple times a day. I rarely think they are humorous or informative and to me are mostly just a waste of time.

She asked me to come watch TV with her . . . and she kept watching videos that were so loud I could barely hear the TV. About 11:00 PM I said I was going to sleep, shut off the TV, and rolled over to try to fall asleep. That didn't stop her. She kept right on viewing more and more videos, the sound blaring right next to my head. I couldn't take it anymore and gave up and went to sleep on the couch.

Whenever I mention that maybe she should give it a break, she only gets peeved and watches more. I am at a loss on how to curb her TikTok habit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I am curious how much people actually use TikTok and at what point does that usage become a problem.

Case in point. I consider my wife addicted to it. Yesterday was EXHIBIT A. She woke up at 9 AM, basically started in on watching videos once she woke up, never left the house, and didn't stop until after 2 AM. Didn't even put her phone down during meals.

To say it is annoying is an understatement. She texts me TikTok videos that she thinks are funny, poignant, political, hit close to home, or whatever multiple times a day. I rarely think they are humorous or informative and to me are mostly just a waste of time.

She asked me to come watch TV with her . . . and she kept watching videos that were so loud I could barely hear the TV. About 11:00 PM I said I was going to sleep, shut off the TV, and rolled over to try to fall asleep. That didn't stop her. She kept right on viewing more and more videos, the sound blaring right next to me head. I couldn't take it anymore and gave up and went to sleep on the couch.

Whenever I mention that maybe she should give it a break, she only gets peeved and watches more. I am at a loss on how to curb her TikTok habit.
Yeah that all sounds like a problem, worse than even just watching TV all day because at least while watching TV you can do other things like clean, cook, fold laundry, etc. Even video games might be better, there’s at least accomplishments, hand eye coordination, problem solving, perseverance skills practiced there. 

If I've learned 1 thing from TT, it is that this generation's answer to all of life's problems is to dance to some random music and it will all be better. 🤦‍♂️

She asked me to come watch TV with her . . . and she kept watching videos that were so loud I could barely hear the TV. About 11:00 PM I said I was going to sleep, shut off the TV, and rolled over to try to fall asleep. That didn't stop her. She kept right on viewing more and more videos, the sound blaring right next to me head. I couldn't take it anymore and gave up and went to sleep on the couch.

yea that seems like a problem. I'll admit I've gotten lost in a few TT rabbit holes, but thats a full day+ of use. I couldnt imagine binging that much. 

is she only watching or is she creating too? I find it so crazy how much time some people put into their posts. 

yea that seems like a problem. I'll admit I've gotten lost in a few TT rabbit holes, but thats a full day+ of use. I couldnt imagine binging that much. 

is she only watching or is she creating too? I find it so crazy how much time some people put into their posts. 
99.9% of the time just viewing. I think she posted a few times when our pets or kids did something silly.

I kinda get that yesterday was a relaxation day. We just got back from vacation, there was a time difference coming home, she was tired and wasn't feeling well, and she was dreading having to go back to work.

We squabbled a couple of times about the TT thing, and I said I really didn't get wanting to watch so many videos in general. She took umbrage when I sad I wasn't into all the videos she sent me and I didn't find them all that funny or entertaining. She said all her friends and family are into them and if I better related and understood her then I would realize how they are just like she is.

I said I wasn't into the whole online TT, FB, IG thing and if they made her laugh and not me, so be it. I have seen some of the vids out kids put together and some of them were pretty funny . . . not because they were funny, but the ones when they tried to do something funny and went horribly wrong. For example, one time one of them tried to do something and got clocked in the head by a ceiling fan. Or trying to do something on a skateboard and wiping out. So the act of them trying to do something stupid and then messing it up was funny (no injuries involved).

Anyway, yesterday was a heavy usage day for her and she normally doesn't come anywhere near staying on TT for that long, but it does concern me that she zoned out for that extended stretch. That left me to do yard work, house work, food shopping, and cooking to fill up my day.

Ive grown accustomed to smoking some weed at night and scrolling through tiktok for around 1/2 hour. Theres a lot of "suggestive" videos and dances of women on my FYP lol

99.9% of the time just viewing. I think she posted a few times when our pets or kids did something silly.

I kinda get that yesterday was a relaxation day. We just got back from vacation, there was a time difference coming home, she was tired and wasn't feeling well, and she was dreading having to go back to work.

We squabbled a couple of times about the TT thing, and I said I really didn't get wanting to watch so many videos in general. She took umbrage when I sad I wasn't into all the videos she sent me and I didn't find them all that funny or entertaining. She said all her friends and family are into them and if I better related and understood her then I would realize how they are just like she is.

I said I wasn't into the whole online TT, FB, IG thing and if they made her laugh and not me, so be it. I have seen some of the vids out kids put together and some of them were pretty funny . . . not because they were funny, but the ones when they tried to do something funny and went horribly wrong. For example, one time one of them tried to do something and got clocked in the head by a ceiling fan. Or trying to do something on a skateboard and wiping out. So the act of them trying to do something stupid and then messing it up was funny (no injuries involved).

Anyway, yesterday was a heavy usage day for her and she normally doesn't come anywhere near staying on TT for that long, but it does concern me that she zoned out for that extended stretch. That left me to do yard work, house work, food shopping, and cooking to fill up my day.
One of the biggest red flags you posted earlier was about her total disregard for you in this situation....while you're trying to sleep?!?   Get some bluetooth headphones for her at least.

She watched 17 straight hours of TikTok?  Good god.

She watched 17 straight hours of TikTok?  Good god.
She’s toned it done all these months later. Still has her moments watching at bad times,  but nowhere near the peak she was at back then. Mostly spurts of 30 minutes once a day, sometimes at bedtime. 

I'm pretty unthrilled with the other ones, I don't think adding a bunch of content from more people I don't know is the cure.

Tiktok is ****ing addictive. I can sit on it for hours and watch my algorithm sort through half naked chicks, sports, betting, standup comedy, and generally funny videos and never see the same one twice.

Tiktok is ****ing addictive. I can sit on it for hours and watch my algorithm sort through half naked chicks, sports, betting, standup comedy, and generally funny videos and never see the same one twice.
yeah i have got sucked into it as well.
used to be a couple of minutes before i go to bed now 30-60 minutes

DOJ: "Hello TikTok, Hello ByteDance"
According to a source in position to know, the DOJ Criminal Division, Fraud Section, working alongside the Office of the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, has subpoenaed information from ByteDance regarding efforts by its employees to access U.S. journalists’ location information or other private user data using the TikTok app. According to two sources, the FBI has been conducting interviews related to the surveillance. ByteDance’s use of the app to surveil U.S. citizens was first reported by Forbes in October, and confirmed by an internal company investigation in December.
The divestiture demand marks a dramatic defeat for TikTok, which promised to spend $1.5 billion on a set of data sequestration plans, known as Project Texas, which it hoped would allow ByteDance to continue to own TikTok. Under Project Texas, TikTok would house U.S. user data in domestic servers managed by a U.S.-based team subject to government oversight. However, ByteDance’s confirmation that it surveilled journalists appeared to contradict the promises it had made to the U.S. government as part of the proposal.

According to a source in position to know, the DOJ Criminal Division, Fraud Section, working alongside the Office of the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, has subpoenaed information from ByteDance regarding efforts by its employees to access U.S. journalists’ location information or other private user data using the TikTok app. According to two sources, the FBI has been conducting interviews related to the surveillance. ByteDance’s use of the app to surveil U.S. citizens was first reported by Forbes in October, and confirmed by an internal company investigation in December.
The divestiture demand marks a dramatic defeat for TikTok, which promised to spend $1.5 billion on a set of data sequestration plans, known as Project Texas, which it hoped would allow ByteDance to continue to own TikTok. Under Project Texas, TikTok would house U.S. user data in domestic servers managed by a U.S.-based team subject to government oversight. However, ByteDance’s confirmation that it surveilled journalists appeared to contradict the promises it had made to the U.S. government as part of the proposal.
If anyone is shocked by this, they aren't paying attention :shrug:

And yet people in this thread seemed to think this issue was overblown as recently as 2020. I wonder what changed.

And yet people in this thread seemed to think this issue was overblown as recently as 2020. I wonder what changed.
I doubt TikTok is gathering any information that dozens if not hundreds of other apps already gather. Now what they do with that data may be shady, but I don' trust the DOJ, the US Attorney or any other government agency any more than I do TikTok.

I doubt TikTok is gathering any information that dozens if not hundreds of other apps already gather. Now what they do with that data may be shady, but I don' trust the DOJ, the US Attorney or any other government agency any more than I do TikTok.
GL with that.

I don’t trust them either, but the issue isn’t trusting TikTok, it’s trusting the Chinese government since they almost certainly have access to all of that data. I definitely trust the Chinese government less than just about anyone else. Not just on a personal level, but all the info they can glean about our utilities, infrastructure, etc seems not good.

To be clear, I am "meh" as to what they are "doing" with the data because just like you say, our info is out there already. This isn't a point of concern to me in my daily life. It's exactly a warning that maybe people should think about what they are putting on their phones. Most are completely mindless in this regard. I'll never have an app like this on my phone ever. Of course, I have probably 30 apps total on my phone (that I installed), so I'm not your average user. I use, almost exclusively, mobile browsers IF I do anything important on my phone, which I also try to avoid.

Yeah, I'm 95% confident that this app is just the Chinese trying to systematically make the youth of America stupid and lower their attention spans.

China clearly playing the long game.

Time passed and we know more now.

Speak for yourself. Many of us were a few years ahead of you for a reason.

What's known now isnt all that different now than it was when the app came out. We're just transitioning to there being tangible evidence.

Might as well continue with the obvious and remind everyone Huawei is suspect as **** too. Deserves no place on or infrastructure anywhere. True since the 2010s if not before.

Users who are viewing this thread