What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

Jets, Jaguars interested in trading for Tebow

By NFL.com Staff

The Jaguars and Jets, along with several other teams, have serious interest in trading for Broncos QB Tim Tebow, a league source told NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi on Tuesday.

Lombardi reported earlier in the day that five teams had contacted the Broncos about a possible Tebow trade.

Moments after the news broke Monday that Peyton Manning would be joining the Broncos, a source told NFL Network’s Albert Breer that the team had begun to explore Tebow deals and was looking for a trading partner.

The Broncos are expected to be agreeable toward what teams are willing to give in any potential Tebow trade, according to Lombardi. Denver used a first-round pick (25th overall) to take Tebow in the 2010 NFL Draft.

'Spanky24 said:
'CravenM said:
I think several good and bad things are going to happen this year:1) Peyton is going to soon realize DThomas,EDecker and Fells wouldn't even make the team behind Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark2) Denver is going to need a backup QB because Peyton's gonna get busted up. He's not going to make it through the entire season with that terrible offensive line, weak RBs and weak receivers.3) People are going to soon realize that John Elway was a great QB but never proven anything beyond that. He may be beloved in Denver for leading the Super Bowl winning teams but his success is over.Meanwhile, who knows what happens to Tebow.1) Backup Cam Newton? Sheesh, Cam couldn't beat out Tebow in college and can't in the pros.2) Play for Miami or Jax? Talk about a the next 2 worst receiving corps behind Denver. They'd need to revamp their offense like Denver did until they got real receivers.3) Backup Mike Vick? Look for him to play sooner rather than later. Vick can't stay healthy. It's a pretty good fit actually.4) Backup Tom Brady? I like it, Belechick likes him as obviously does McDaniels.5) Stay in Denver to backup/learn from Peyton Manning? Not the worst move Elway could make but he's probably not smart enough.And so the soap opera continues...
People keep picking parts of this entire post apart? I'll go out on a limb and say the entire thing is just stupid.
I will say the opposite and I'll actually go out on the limb with some arguments in support! A life line if you will...Point #1 is dead one. Does anyone really think Denver's receivers/TE compare to those that Manning enjoyed in the past? 2) Possible. Denver did Tebow no favor by waiting until most teams had already found their FA QB. They pretty much threw him under the bus. The least they could have done was cut him sooner so he could compete for a team that needed a starting QB instead of waiting until most open slots were filled. 3) Makes a lot of sense. He is a running QB with a strong arm so why couldn't he back up Vick? It IS true that Vick hasn't stayed healthy and is no spring chicken.4) I don't see this. The NE offense requires precise timing routes and accuracy; it wouldn't be a good fit for Tebow's skill set. The only way this happens is if Bellicheat has some other plans for Tebow as a swing FB or something.5) This is actually true. As successful as Tebow was last season, he would benefit from watching Manning, just as Rogers benefited from watching Favre. The odds of Manning making it through the season at 36 with a bionic neck seem low to me. Elway said he doesn't need a Plan B; I predict that by the end of the season he will be regretting those words.All in all, a good posting.

The irony of the situation is that Tebow's immense popularity is one of the primary reasons he is seen as so undesirable to so many organizations. The Broncos want to be rid of him because they know he can't co-exist on the same team as Peyton Manning, arguably the best QB of all time; they know that the Tebow-maniacs will constantly be calling for Tebow to start. Wherever Tebow lands, his fans will not be happy unless he is the starting QB, and of course the media circus will follow. IMO if Tebow is going to be long for this league, he's going to have to think long and hard about making a position change.

I think it is interesting that a player who clearly works hard is mocked so openly as having no future. Jp losnan and Patrick Ramsey and Ryan leaf has tons of physical talent but no mental ability to play in the nfl. For all his faults (and there are plenty) tebow has been productive in the nfl and clearly has the desire to get better. Two years in and he has shown more progress than Aaron brooks or vince young showed in their entire careers. Can being a good passer be learned at this stage? Probably not. Can being an average passer be learned? Certainly. Interesting that so many of you are betting against it. If he'd been the texans fifth round pick and stepped in with similar results when schaub got hurt I suspect the general polarity of opinions would be a lot different. Just saying.
I don't think accuracy, anticipation, vision, and poise (the most important qualities in a QB) are things that everyone can perfect with practice.It's pretty clear that every player has a natural ceiling in these areas. I'm sure players like Derek Anderson, Kellen Clemens, and Tarvaris Jackson have worked hard to learn QB skills, but they're not great quarterbacks. It has nothing to do with physical ability and everything to do with a lack of mental talent. Tebow had a pretty rocky first year and didn't show much potential as a passer. Hence the skepticism.I think it's particularly negative for a few reasons:1. Tebow has received tons of media hype. People are just sick of it.2. Tebow has received far more attention than his play has warranted. Again, tired of hearing about him.3. Tebow has received more credit for Denver's success than has contributions warranted. The last one is debatable. There are still a lot of people who think Tebow played well last year. For me, he played horribly and benefited from a number of very fortunate circumstances (soft schedule, soft division, low-scoring opponents). I don't think Tebow "has been productive in the NFL." I think he's a 50% passer whose own coaching staff doesn't even rate him. If he was a fifth round pick I would be saying the same things.

Would you want Tim Tebow on your roster?

Thanks but no thanks

As positive a presence as Tim Tebow is, our experts would take a pass rather than trade to get him.

NFL.com

Steve Wyche NFL.com

I'd love to have Tebow ... just not as a quarterback

I definitely would want Tebow on my roster because the guy is a football player who loves the game and possesses a contagious charisma. Thing is, I don't know if I'd want him as my starting quarterback. He has such a long way to go to fit into today's game, in terms of being a passer and the overall way he plays the position. I'm not sure I could ask the other players on the team to change so much solely for one guy -- unless I have a young team that's in the process of rebuilding and playing Tebow's style is exactly the approach I want to take.

If I had him, I'd use him in an H-back-type role, where he would make defenses take note of his presence on the field as a run/pass threat. I'd also use him as the personal punt protector to make opposing return teams view him as a run/pass threat. And I'd have him as a FG/PAT holder as well for that same reason. He'd be on all my special teams, for that matter, and I might go a little Belichick and throw him in as a hybrid OLB pass rusher, as well. Tebow is a baller, and I love his approach to the game. I think he'd do anything asked of him because he's such a competitor.

There is a place for him in the NFL. I'm just not sure it's behind center as a No. 1 QB.
Elliot Harrison NFL.com

For the right price, Tebow Time offers a variety of benefits

If you're the general manager of a club that doesn't have a surefire No. 1, a little competition is never bad. Secondly, if your offensive coordinator thinks he can make the most of Tebow's athletic abilities in situational offense for the next couple of seasons (while Tebow is young), then it's also a nice move.

The price for Tebow probably isn't going to be that high. He could conceivably come in and win a game off the bench with little reps in practice, if only because a defense would have even less reps facing a quarterback with his specific skill set. From a different angle ... What if Tebow joined a team and went 3-1 in relief due to that factor, or an easy schedule? The possibility of trading him and ultimately getting a slightly higher draft pick than you acquired him for is just good business.

Tebow brings toughness and a good attitude to the table. He's also still a very young player at 24. And for those franchises that need the help, don't forget his ability to put butts in seats. Pro football is just that ... professional. Money is involved. For the right price (fifth- or sixth-round pick), why not Tebow?
Charley Casserly NFL.com

Tebow's unique skill set gives defensive coordinators one more thing to worry about

Tebow can provide some diversification in your offense to possibly help you in goal-line or short-yardage situations. He can give you a power inside running game, as well as the option game outside. There is enough of a pass threat so defenses can't play you totally as a one-dimensional team, like they eventually did with Miami in its Wildcat.

Bottom line: It would give defensive coordinators one more thing to spend time on in preparation for your team.
Dave Dameshek NFL.com

Tebowmania is an all-consuming distraction

As I've said all along, Tim Tebow is not worthy of being starting QB in the NFL. He's a quirky change-of-pace guy to put in short-yardage situations. Period.

So why would a rebuilding team want Tebow? Obviously, he excites the fan base, which I'm sure sounds especially good to the twin Sunshine State punch-line franchises in Jacksonville and Miami. In other words, if the bottom line is the bottom line, Tebow is your guy.

Otherwise, buyer beware. Aside from shedding his contract, there's a practical reason Denver is shopping him: He's an all-consuming distraction. You think Peyton Manning and his ego -- which throughout his career has required that he take every snap, even in practice -- are interested in answering questions about the Tebow sideshow? (That question was rhetorical -- he isn't ... and not just cause Timmy played for the Gators.)
Charles Davis NFL Network

Isn't Tebow exactly the type of player coaches claim they are seeking?

I would want Tim Tebow on my team because he is exactly what all coaches claim they are seeking. He's talented, charismatic, a leader of the highest order and a team player of the same magnitude.

If you need him to come off the bench and play QB until your starter gets well, he can do that. (And you can still expect to win each week.) If you decide to make him your starter and fully buy in to who he is and what he can do on the field? Well, last year's Denver Broncos season stands as a case study (and Tebow's résumé). Winning QB record, division title, playoff win -- all achieved with a completion rate under 50 percent. Given time, I'd expect him to improve in that area.

At the end of the day, Tim Tebow wins ... and isn't that the goal of every team, every week?
Jason Smith NFL.com

Tebow could make a small-market team relevant

There are two reasons you want Tim Tebow on your team. One is if you're fighting the battle for NFL relevancy. Teams like Jacksonville or Cleveland are so far removed from the NFL map, they need a high-profile player for the fan base to adopt and to create buzz. Without buzz, it's hard to attract free agents or convince your potential free agents to stay, because they feel like the franchise is stagnant and there are better opportunities elsewhere.

The second reason is this: Tebow showed enough last year to warrant someone taking a chance on him as a starting QB. Not a team with an established starter or one with a future QB in place, but one that's still searching for that player. It's possible it could be Tebow, so I'd obtain him and let him play at least this year before I venture out again in search of my franchise QB. There's no one you can get at this point who would be an upgrade to Tebow. And the best part is you know the Broncos' price will be small. They have to part ways with him. Saying they'd be "agreeable" to a trade means: We'll take anything you offer. Please, just take him off our hands!
Adam Rank NFL.com

Today's NFL thrives on specialization, so it's time for the first short-yardage QB!

Did somebody already coin the "All he does is win" tagline? Beyond all of that, Tebow does serve a rather useful purpose for NFL teams. The league has become so specialized when it comes to running backs, pass rushers, tight ends who can either only catch or block, etc. The time has come for the short-yardage quarterback!

Tebow does create matchup problems with his ability to tuck the ball and run. (Something you can ask the Jets about.) And if teams get too cute and dare him to throw the ball, well, Tebow can do that, too. (As the Steelers can attest.) About the only thing I can't see Tebow doing long term is being an every-down quarterback.

So I'd look for a team with an innovative coach and a rather immobile quarterback who could use a reliever to come in and pick up those tricky 3rd-and-1s. Some teams could also utilize him at the goal line. But not the Broncos, because they have one of the most nibble quarterbacks in the league getting ready to start for them this season.

Ebf - those are all valid points, and fair.

But his mediocre passing is on par with a number of other passers that ended up being okay over the long haul. Kyle orton comes to mind as a guy who was a woeful passer early and turned in to a serviceable qb. If tebow becomes even a 55% passer at 6.5 ypa to go with his rushing ability then he can start for someone out there. For goodness sake, travaros Jackson and Luke Mccown were week 1 starters last year.

The irony of the situation is that Tebow's immense popularity is one of the primary reasons he is seen as so undesirable to so many organizations. The Broncos want to be rid of him because they know he can't co-exist on the same team as Peyton Manning, arguably the best QB of all time; they know that the Tebow-maniacs will constantly be calling for Tebow to start. Wherever Tebow lands, his fans will not be happy unless he is the starting QB, and of course the media circus will follow. IMO if Tebow is going to be long for this league, he's going to have to think long and hard about making a position change.
that's the pickle. There are two ways out:1. commit to Tebow beginning now - give him OTA's and a full pre-season. Let Tebow sink or swim, but give him every bit of support that he needs. Let the Tebow experiment run it's course.2. Sit Tebow behind an unquestioned stud QB, let him ferment and hone his skills, and turn him loose when his skills progress to acceptable. No way anyone in NE would clamor for him to start ahead of Brady, no one in NO would want him ahead of Brees. I like to think that Denver w/ Manning could pull this off, but I have my doubts. And, really, all you are doing is post-poning #1 for a couple of years.

I think it is interesting that a player who clearly works hard is mocked so openly as having no future. Jp losnan and Patrick Ramsey and Ryan leaf has tons of physical talent but no mental ability to play in the nfl. For all his faults (and there are plenty) tebow has been productive in the nfl and clearly has the desire to get better. Two years in and he has shown more progress than Aaron brooks or vince young showed in their entire careers. Can being a good passer be learned at this stage? Probably not. Can being an average passer be learned? Certainly. Interesting that so many of you are betting against it. If he'd been the texans fifth round pick and stepped in with similar results when schaub got hurt I suspect the general polarity of opinions would be a lot different. Just saying.
I don't think accuracy, anticipation, vision, and poise (the most important qualities in a QB) are things that everyone can perfect with practice.It's pretty clear that every player has a natural ceiling in these areas. I'm sure players like Derek Anderson, Kellen Clemens, and Tarvaris Jackson have worked hard to learn QB skills, but they're not great quarterbacks. It has nothing to do with physical ability and everything to do with a lack of mental talent. Tebow had a pretty rocky first year and didn't show much potential as a passer. Hence the skepticism.I think it's particularly negative for a few reasons:1. Tebow has received tons of media hype. People are just sick of it.2. Tebow has received far more attention than his play has warranted. Again, tired of hearing about him.3. Tebow has received more credit for Denver's success than has contributions warranted. The last one is debatable. There are still a lot of people who think Tebow played well last year. For me, he played horribly and benefited from a number of very fortunate circumstances (soft schedule, soft division, low-scoring opponents). I don't think Tebow "has been productive in the NFL." I think he's a 50% passer whose own coaching staff doesn't even rate him. If he was a fifth round pick I would be saying the same things.
Poise? Really? You realize that pretty much under cuts the credibility of everything else you say, don't you?

that's the pickle. There are two ways out:1. commit to Tebow beginning now - give him OTA's and a full pre-season. Let Tebow sink or swim, but give him every bit of support that he needs. Let the Tebow experiment run it's course.2. Sit Tebow behind an unquestioned stud QB, let him ferment and hone his skills, and turn him loose when his skills progress to acceptable. No way anyone in NE would clamor for him to start ahead of Brady, no one in NO would want him ahead of Brees. I like to think that Denver w/ Manning could pull this off, but I have my doubts. And, really, all you are doing is post-poning #1 for a couple of years.
Good points. You are right--I can't imagine fans of teams with well established elite QB's (NE, NO, GB, NYG, etc.) clamoring for Tebow. But then, I'm not sure Tebow would want to go to a team where he has to sit behind a stud for an unforeseen number of years and/or be used out of his preferred position of QB in gimmicky formations on gimmick plays 5 or 6 times per game. He doesn't want to be a gadget, he wants to be a starting QB, and sooner rather than later. As for whether he could co-exist here in Denver behind Peyton, I just don't think it would be possible. Too many Denver fans are already convinced Timmy's the second coming after last season--and even now, after our team just acquired arguable the greatest QB of all time, our fan base is still divided. I've spoken to, and heard on sports talk radio, plenty of people who are literally pissed that their favorite team just signed Peyton Manning. It boggles the mind, but that's the reality of Tebowmania. It has it's own inertia and in Denver it's reached the point of no return. I honestly believe that once Tebow is gone, there will be some (perhaps many) Denver fans hoping for the "Manning Experiment" to fail just so they can say I told you so. It sucks, but it's the way it is.

Tebow needs to go to Dallas.

Romo plays quarters 1-3, Tebow plays quarter 4.

Cowboys would be unstoppable.

Poise? Really? You realize that pretty much under cuts the credibility of everything else you say, don't you?
You (and others) might question much about Tebow, but poise is something he most definately has and takes onto the field and into the huddle. It's what many of his teammates have commented on.

I think the OPs point is simply that questioning Tebow's poise is akin to saying Michael Jordan would have been a better basketball player if were just a little more competitive.

Racking my brain to think of another player that has ever had this much hype surrounding himself with such mediocre skills at his position.

Of course most of this is the media cramming this down our throats but based on the front page here I counted over 10 topics and each one was thriving so it's pretty clear this will remain a hot topic for quite a while.Amazing :lmao:

I agree. People can question his accuracy; he clearly is not that accurate although he did improve. People can question his throwing mechanics--although many good QBs have succeeded without great mechanics. Reading defenses? That's arguable, but I wasn't astounded by that claim. Poise, however, is the definition of Tebow. He never gets rattled. He stays calm and confident no matter what. He doesn't pout, throw tantrums, blame his coaches or teammates, etc. And he engineered far too many comebacks to claim he lacks poise.

I am not a Tebow fan at all, but :goodposting: I kind of give him credit for trying what he could to keep a 4th and 17 play alive. It didn't work, but there are not many 4th and 17 conversions.

Not saying that I think he is full of poise, but I don't think that play demonstrates a lack of poise.

uggh...I can't think of a worse spot for Tebow. I'll be rooting for him for sure, but I don't see any way this can end well.

There is virtually no way for Tebow to develop...I believe that Tebow needs a year on the bench to refine his game before being fed into the fire. No way that happens now.

HC: Rex Ryan - former DC

OC: Tony Sporano - former HC of the *ahem* high-powered passing attack of the Dolphins

QBC: Matt Cavanaugh - biggest claim to fame is Mark Sanchez

Who will be able to mentor Tebow? Who will be able to get his game to where it needs to be? IMO he sill stagnate, and what we saw in 2011 will be as good as Tebow will ever be...and if that's all there is, then we might as well close the book.

4-14 passing, one big pick. Top of his game. Bumping this closer to the top so I can shut it down permanently later this year.

'FavreCo said:
4-14 passing, one big pick. Top of his game. Bumping this closer to the top so I can shut it down permanently later this year.
Bumps a 5 month old thread so he can shut down his own bump. :rolleyes:

To be fair - I read every post in this thread when it was active and Farve did stick to his guns about coming back at a later time and "shutting it down". Now, he's simply returned to get his guns he left here.

To be fair - I read every post in this thread when it was active and Farve did stick to his guns about coming back at a later time and "shutting it down". Now, he's simply returned to get his guns he left here.
Points for consistency.But why bump a thread that was effectively shut down to boast how you will shut it down?

:lmao: Weren't you one of the tebowners in this thread? Shall I confrim or will you just admit that you had absolutely no clue and that this guy sucks as an NFL QB?
:rolleyes:Haters gonna hate. Your shtick is as old as your Wrangler jeans.

:lmao: Weren't you one of the tebowners in this thread? Shall I confrim or will you just admit that you had absolutely no clue and that this guy sucks as an NFL QB?
I never attempted to quantify his long term ability - I believe I stated he would excel in spot starts - and was 100% accurate.

A bit off topic here, but what would it actually take for Tebow to be officially listed as a TE? On the first play from scrimmage yesterday he was actually lined up as a TE. Further, as long as Sanchez continues to do well, they will have to find ways to keep Tebow involved.

To clarify: I really don't care how they USE Tebow, I'm just concerned with how they (ESPN, Yahoo, MFL) LIST Tebow.

A bit off topic here, but what would it actually take for Tebow to be officially listed as a TE? On the first play from scrimmage yesterday he was actually lined up as a TE. Further, as long as Sanchez continues to do well, they will have to find ways to keep Tebow involved. To clarify: I really don't care how they USE Tebow, I'm just concerned with how they (ESPN, Yahoo, MFL) LIST Tebow.
Probably depends on the site. I believe MFL keeps a player's position the same as whatever his NFL team lists him as. So it would take the Jets changing him on their web site.Not sure if all the other sites do that or not. I seem to recall hearing Yahoo did it differently back when Colston was a TE turned WR.

I'm close to stuffing this clown in his coffin and burying The Tebow and this thread for good. The only problem is that I don't trust Sanchez to continue the stellar play. But we are close people.

'Greg%20Russell said:
%26%2339%3Bmatttyl%26%2339%3B said:
A bit off topic here, but what would it actually take for Tebow to be officially listed as a TE? On the first play from scrimmage yesterday he was actually lined up as a TE. Further, as long as Sanchez continues to do well, they will have to find ways to keep Tebow involved.

To clarify: I really don't care how they USE Tebow, I'm just concerned with how they (ESPN, Yahoo, MFL) LIST Tebow.
Probably depends on the site. I believe MFL keeps a player's position the same as whatever his NFL team lists him as. So it would take the Jets changing him on their web site.Not sure if all the other sites do that or not. I seem to recall hearing Yahoo did it differently back when Colston was a TE turned WR.
The Colston situation was very poorly handled by Yahoo. Colston was BRIEFLY listed as a TE around the time of the 2006 NFL draft, but he never played anything but WR for the Saints (even during minicamp). Yahoo never researched this. Once the season started, Yahoo agreed to change Colston's status to "WR,TE", but refused to stop listing him as a TE, citing their policy of not revoking eligibility once the season started.So, if the Jets OFFICIALLY list Tebow as a TE, then Yahoo will change his status to "TE,QB", even if he never plays QB again.

Users who are viewing this thread