What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans without Henry (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Here's a long explanation-

A Jones fracture was a Jones stress fracture when I played hoops. I saw people miss a month maybe six weeks. They always reinjured it and had surgery again after the season. This is not uncommon with stress fractures, broken fingers, and other injuries in sports- ya get it good enough then play thru it. This type was a topic in Favre's NFL opioid ordeal years ago too.

Henry doesn't have to play. The Titans are more than 90 percent likely to win the division per NYTimes calculator. Do you see the Jags and Texans winning the division? They already swept the Colts. Most everyone wants an urgency that isn't there because of the schedule maker. I expect Henry week one of the playoffs and if the biggest baddest RB isn't then I'll be shocked.

The Titans line is a bunch of dogs that love to hit people. They are not some fancy toe tapping pass blocking group. Time and again, they allow a lot of sacks if they pass too often and also dominate if they run often. 

The plan was 3 WR set with Marcus, AJ, and Julio. The tackles missed the 2 and 3 TE help they had the prior decade and they allowed a lot of sacks. OC Downing switched up and has employed some two TE and some FB sets.

Surely Downing will try to roll 3WR but the line is still the prob.

I adore ADP but he wasn't much last time we saw him so I'm concerned he won't hack it and I'll watch a great player stink in his old age. He is certainly a "die trying" awesome effort man so that helps my concern.

McNichols is a third down back and always has been. Evans is an oft injured fancy back that hasn't done much and didn't look spry when we last saw him.

Mekhi Sargent reminds me of Joe Morris. He is a tough little bugger you doubt and he just gets it done. He ran with the first string in preseason and stayed in the game. He's a little hoss. 

(Titans sat stars in preseason)

The Titans still have the prob of getting Julio healthy and making sure he's available for the stretch run. Again, there's no rush or pressure with the division all but sewn up.

Marcus Johnson was to be this supposed stud. He returned and led the Titans in receiving during a Henry dominant game and ....he's not getting open since. It's upsetting to say the least.

NWI is a great blocker utility guy. He's burned y'all because he's not what you thought. 

Chester Rogers has reached his potential we all thought he had with the Colts. If he plays regularly he'll get a few key catches for 50 yards and move the chains. He's not great but sleep on him and he moves the chains.

Firkser can't block well inline, never has. He has often lined up in the slot. He is exceptional against zone and weak against man to man and teams are not playing zone against the Titans. I've seen it listed but yet AJ has a man on him all game so I bark at the zone D listed.

Mycole Pruitt was a receiving TE in college, blocking TE for the Titans, left, came back and he's come into his own. He probably only has ten catches but they're all tough catches. I'd predict and uptick with him for sure.

FB- Blasingame is injured. He was a college RB that has no vision but he is a big boy that hits thru the line hard. When he returns, hell probably get a few carries.

Carter is a top ranked FB in HS and College that can also play TE. He's a classic grunt that loves to hit people. Downing seems to like that he can shift to TE or Hback from time to time.

I think the Titans will be scared of Tannehill getting hurt and be quick to put Woodside in.

Trades-.

Mike Davis is the only reasonable one for me. He knows Arthur Smith's system and can probably pickup the Titans variation. He's a backup on a team going nowhere.

Melvin Gordon would be fine but just fine. Will the Broncos only expect a mild return in trade? I could see them shifting to Javonte but I bet they ask for too much.

With JRob and Vrabel there's always a rumor of a Pats trade but it never happens so once that pot is stirred I won't expect it.

The Titans have 3?4? ILBs that are free agents in 2022 and they can afford to lose one in trade. Evans is a special athlete that has underperformed in Vrabel's zone. He'd be attractive to the right team.

I hope this helps, I know we're amidst many threads and just felt this was easier than messages and quotes and tags n all. Thanks for the appreciation guys.

Also, little anecdote. The Titans traded down with the Panthers. With that pick the Panthers drafted Chuba

Titans sans Henry will pass a whole lot more, leaving Tannehill as a potential league winning player. He's going to kill it!

Titans sans Henry will pass a whole lot more, leaving Tannehill as a potential league winning player. He's going to kill it!
How do you feel about Quissenberry blocking Von Miller or even Aaron Donald as the only thing stopping Tannehill from getting sacked? That's why I doubt this scenario

Tannehill is now a QB1
This isn’t automatic for me by any means.  Teams put 8 in the box against Henry. He was the king of bringing safeties up. Play action almost always resulted in WR’s wide open 2nd level over the linebackers. Now teams won’t do that. And Tannehill feasted on runs after fake handoffs to Henry. That’s gone too. I dunno. I don’t think losing a top RB is ever good for a QB

How do you feel about Quissenberry blocking Von Miller or even Aaron Donald as the only thing stopping Tannehill from getting sacked? That's why I doubt this scenario
At the risk of speaking for someone else. I'm assuming he meant for the rest of the season. Other than the Steelers, there isn't another team with the pass rush the Rams have on the Titans schedule. 

@Bri Thanks for the insight. 

-I believe like you that the Titans record with 6 wins and a sweep over the Colts who only have 3 wins is important here. 

TN 6-2...Indy 3-5 and the other 2 teams are a combined 2-13 on the season, give me a break. But there are 9 weeks left and I do think the Colts are going to win some games along the way. What the Titans really need is Tannehill to put on the Superman cape and will them to about 24-30 a week and that should get them to at least 10-7, right?

Wk 9 @LAR, loss you gotta believe this week and that will put immediate pressure on the situation in the National Media arc at least

Wk 10 SAINTS, again that could be a loss, we don't know what Hill will do with the offense yet. This is a coin flip IMHO. 

Wk 11 TEXANS, EZ WIN

Wk 12 @New Eng, not sure this is an auto win, in fact Tannehill plays poorly up in Foxsboro...

What if they go 1-3 over this stretch and fall to 7-5 going into the bye week? 

Wk 14-JAGS, Win you would hope

Wk 15-@Pitt, I would not assume a win at that point in the season if Pittsburgh is even close to a Wildcard spot. 

Wk-16 49ERS, home game but without Henry this game changes a lot. 

Wk 17-MIAMI,  Win

Wk 18-@Hou, Win 

I come up with about 10-7, the Colts would have to almost run the table the 2nd half of the season to win the Division. That would be an auto home game for Tennessee in the 1st round of the Playoffs. 

I didn't bring up ADP because like you I see very little he will bring to the table for them. I think Tennessee would be wise to go after someone like a Ronald Jones to hold them over until Henry returns around the Playoffs. 

@Bri any chance McNichols gets more 1st & 2nd down looks? GL? Or is he straight receiving back, hard stop?

I ask because he's small but looks solidly built.

Good stuff @Bri

i sure hope you’re right about Henry back in time for the Playoffs. I’ll never call an injury good but if he is back and rested, that’s gonna be fun. 

He did?

2021 Touches Inside the 20 by McNichols:  2 Receptions / 0 Carries 
I didn't say inside the 20 did I?  He spells henry occasionally with regular carries.  

You just follow people around to argue with them?

Sargent cut.

Foreman brought back

Thanks for the insight.   Just curious how you would rank this cast of characters for likelihood to return low-end RB2 or upper-end RB3 numbers given the Foreman/Sargent swap?

• Peterson
  • McNichols
  • Foreman
As an outsider, I feel like I could shake these names up and have them land in any order for ROS production.   It seems like we pretty much know McNichols will take the 3rd down role, but we probably shouldn't sleep on the possibility of him doing more than that.   Otherwise, if there's to be a top 24-RB or even top 30, it will probably take Peterson or Foreman beating out the other for a clear advantage in carries and goal-line carries.   If they play to a draw, we're probably talking about a 3-man committee where the best asset tops out as an RB4. 

Is Peterson your pick for the guy most likely to matter, or are you fully anticipating a committee of 3 with Blassingame even throwing a wrench at that from time to time?

Thanks for the insight.   Just curious how you would rank this cast of characters for likelihood to return low-end RB2 or upper-end RB3 numbers given the Foreman/Sargent swap?

• Peterson
  • McNichols
  • Foreman
As an outsider, I feel like I could shake these names up and have them land in any order for ROS production.   It seems like we pretty much know McNichols will take the 3rd down role, but we probably shouldn't sleep on the possibility of him doing more than that.   Otherwise, if there's to be a top 24-RB or even top 30, it will probably take Peterson or Foreman beating out the other for a clear advantage in carries and goal-line carries.   If they play to a draw, we're probably talking about a 3-man committee where the best asset tops out as an RB4. 

Is Peterson your pick for the guy most likely to matter, or are you fully anticipating a committee of 3 with Blassingame even throwing a wrench at that from time to time?

I think you summed it up perfectly...this is a mess and at this point you can probably shake foreman/peterson together and that would be just as good as predicting

What you can know though is mcnichols stock is up.  He's got the 3rd down work, some carries here and there and they will probably do more short passes.  

Henry is everything on that Offense. They make a living on PA, and now teams don't have to sell out vs the run. I think that entire unit gets downgraded, including AJ, who will surely attract a safety over the top going forward.

I think you summed it up perfectly...this is a mess and at this point you can probably shake foreman/peterson together and that would be just as good as predicting

What you can know though is mcnichols stock is up.  He's got the 3rd down work, some carries here and there and they will probably do more short passes.  

Thanks, I think unpredictable mess is probably where I'm landing.   I think you identified the "safe" guy in McNichols who is sure to have some value and provide a weekly floor.   If someone like Bri went to bat for him as a guy that could take more than just a 3rd down role, I could be tempted to spend some FAAB tonight, but the original analysis is pretty clear.

I have roster spots that I'm willing to clear out for a lotto ticket, but I'm thinking modest price enforcement bids are probably the call tonight.    I have the most FAAB among active bidders in one league, so going all in is tantamount to burning the top waiver wire priority.   With six weeks of waivers left, I think I might press my luck and hope that something more exciting comes along... unless I manage to snag one of these guys as a surprise bargain.

Thanks, I think unpredictable mess is probably where I'm landing.   I think you identified the "safe" guy in McNichols who is sure to have some value and provide a weekly floor.   If someone like Bri went to bat for him as a guy that could take more than just a 3rd down role, I could be tempted to spend some FAAB tonight, but the original analysis is pretty clear.

I have roster spots that I'm willing to clear out for a lotto ticket, but I'm thinking modest price enforcement bids are probably the call tonight.    I have the most FAAB among active bidders in one league, so going all in is tantamount to burning the top waiver wire priority.   With six weeks of waivers left, I think I might press my luck and hope that something more exciting comes along... unless I manage to snag one of these guys as a surprise bargain.

That's exactly my thinking.  

I play in two expert leagues (one of them 10 team, 18 man rosters and the other 12 team 15 man rosters).  The second one we operate with open waivers and nobody has picked up Peterson although McNichols has been scooped

I suspect there will be a bid for peterson tonight but i suspect it will be modest.  There is no good ceiling here.  You are probably just as lucky to pick up a ww wr and have similar results.

Thanks as always for the home grown insights Bri. 

Henry got my team to 6-2 this year, now Cooper Kupp is going to have to carry it on his own. 

Foreman looked solid like his old self for a handful of carries and nothing special for the rest- last year.

He's a big bruising back when he was good before injury. Arthur Smith surely would have kept him and started him etc if he was doing anything noteworthy. It's not insignificant that after last year neither the Titans nor their OC wanted him....til now.

I don't think ADP takes long to learn the offense. Mariota had his OCs changed over n over and one of the things (Arthur Smith wisely) they did was discuss common terminology to minimize the learning curve. Surely Downing continued because there has been zero hiccups of new players learning the O, time to get acclimated etc. Add to all this ADPs vast experience and that anyone in the huddle can tell him and...I really don't foresee too too much of a prob for ADP. Maybe this week, that's probably expected but they were never gonna run well against the Rams.

Foreman has one week to show something. Hilliard too for that matter. Evans did get the lions share in college, maybe he wants to prove he's not just a scat back. One week at most, then ADP takes over.

ADPs respect should be enough to get play action working. Tannehill has to have that play action as he struggles without.

We are talking about desperation backs and I think ADPs respect, if no longer ability, should be enough to get by.

McNichols couldn't hack it as a lead back in preseason the last few years. He has been cut and added back because of this. They pulled him and put Sargent in this year.

He could get some but I wouldn't think much of it. He can't play every third down and never get a carry. Even Meggett and Faulk got carries- they must be a dual threat- it just won't be much. McNichols might be a decent DFS play this week with like 30 yards rushing and six catches for 20 yards as a cheapie. 

Blasingame is missing his opportunity to lose the FB label and show he's an NFL RB too here. We'll see if he miraculously heals up by game time.

We can't pickup 4-5 players and wait n see. I'm pretty confident in ADP as the pickup here. I'd be happy if gets 60 yards and a TD( most) each week.

Watch Julio's health- his presence will dramatically impact how much they run

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bri any thoughts about Cunningham? 
personally I love the pickup. Understandably there are concerns about his breaking the rules. Unless I missed it there weren’t issues before this year and the Texans are broken right now. 
does he start or just depth? I assume by the playoffs he’ll have a nice role. 

@Bri any thoughts about Cunningham? 
personally I love the pickup. Understandably there are concerns about his breaking the rules. Unless I missed it there weren’t issues before this year and the Texans are broken right now. 
does he start or just depth? I assume by the playoffs he’ll have a nice role. 
I don't think anyone cares if he misses a meeting. The veteran Texans have had attendance issues lately and I don't blame them having trouble getting going in the morning so they can get to meetings and covid tests. They watched their team get ripped apart and their QB stand on the sideline. It's been several veterans not just him. 

He's everything; a Christmas present, I'm so excited. The Titans have had massive turnover at LB since Vrabel came (140+ transactions) and been linked to any former Texan. This is the one they coveted and what a gift to get him without trade.

He's a big boy that can cover elite TEs and Vrabel praised his ability to adapt in the run game. Vrabel told a story on the radio of him covering a WR in rookie camp (he's 6-3) and getting burned a few times before stopping the pass the next 4-5 plays in a row. 

Vrabel has a rule about only talking of active players during pressers so he stormed out of a presser today after reminding them they'd chat next week. He feels (bottom of his heart) it's rude to NOT talk about the guys playing n putting the work in and...the press should have known that and I disagree that they 'had to' keep asking.

PFF has Cunningham playing poorly this year. Another site has him with too much responsibility and greatly insulting the DC. 

He's home. He's psyched to be there, the team is thrilled to have him, he loves the coaches...I couldn't have less concern of his dejected demeanor the last month.

He'll start next week. They should get Long back then.

Evans and Jayon will play spots and be moved around; each have played OLB in the NFL a smidge. Evans and Zach for run plays I'm sure. 

Landry should get moved around a lot again. The DE playing oddly wide was a great set for them that they stopped once he hurt his hammy. Bowen seemed comfy and like he's finally calling his style D when everyone was moving around. Byard was like a beast awakened and back to his ol opportunistic self. It's been downhill since they've been playing straight up. They gotta get back to weird alignments and forcing QBs to wonder.

They have a red carpet to the playoffs. It's also possible they don't show some Zach usage or Evans at OLB or something to keep it a surprise for the playoffs

I don't think anyone cares if he misses a meeting. The veteran Texans have had attendance issues lately and I don't blame them having trouble getting going in the morning so they can get to meetings and covid tests. They watched their team get ripped apart and their QB stand on the sideline. It's been several veterans not just him. 

He's everything; a Christmas present, I'm so excited. The Titans have had massive turnover at LB since Vrabel came (140+ transactions) and been linked to any former Texan. This is the one they coveted and what a gift to get him without trade.

He's a big boy that can cover elite TEs and Vrabel praised his ability to adapt in the run game. Vrabel told a story on the radio of him covering a WR in rookie camp (he's 6-3) and getting burned a few times before stopping the pass the next 4-5 plays in a row. 

Vrabel has a rule about only talking of active players during pressers so he stormed out of a presser today after reminding them they'd chat next week. He feels (bottom of his heart) it's rude to NOT talk about the guys playing n putting the work in and...the press should have known that and I disagree that they 'had to' keep asking.

PFF has Cunningham playing poorly this year. Another site has him with too much responsibility and greatly insulting the DC. 

He's home. He's psyched to be there, the team is thrilled to have him, he loves the coaches...I couldn't have less concern of his dejected demeanor the last month.

He'll start next week. They should get Long back then.

Evans and Jayon will play spots and be moved around; each have played OLB in the NFL a smidge. Evans and Zach for run plays I'm sure. 

Landry should get moved around a lot again. The DE playing oddly wide was a great set for them that they stopped once he hurt his hammy. Bowen seemed comfy and like he's finally calling his style D when everyone was moving around. Byard was like a beast awakened and back to his ol opportunistic self. It's been downhill since they've been playing straight up. They gotta get back to weird alignments and forcing QBs to wonder.

They have a red carpet to the playoffs. It's also possible they don't show some Zach usage or Evans at OLB or something to keep it a surprise for the playoffs
Thanks. I wasn’t even thinking about vrabel in Houston :bag:

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
It will be interesting to see how TEN uses  Henry once he comes back. I have no idea how big a workload would be recommended coming off of a broken foot. But I am guessing 35-40 touches would probably be unwise. 

It will be interesting to see how TEN uses  Henry once he comes back. I have no idea how big a workload would be recommended coming off of a broken foot. But I am guessing 35-40 touches would probably be unwise. 
They have their division all but sewn up. Unless they are gung-ho about home-field advantage, their would be zero point to rushing Henry back and should save him for the playoffs. Any Given Sunday and all that but barring multiple bad days like that bad weather game against the Texans happening multiple times, with their remaining schedule they shouldn’t have much issue locking up a Bye.

They have their division all but sewn up. Unless they are gung-ho about home-field advantage, their would be zero point to rushing Henry back and should save him for the playoffs. Any Given Sunday and all that but barring multiple bad days like that bad weather game against the Texans happening multiple times, with their remaining schedule they shouldn’t have much issue locking up a Bye.
there’s little reason to think either the chiefs or pats lose another game. The Titans might get lucky with a pats loss to Buffalo, but “shouldn’t have much issue” is far too optimistic imo. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t imagine him getting that type of load until the Playoffs. If the current seeds hold, they play the colts first which will be an awesome game of Henry Vs Taylor. 

I was referring to his workload in the playoffs. Going from hurt to 40 touches seems like a bad idea. 

As far as them getting a bye, there is only one bye now. IMO, one more TEN loss and they will be out of the running. They lose the tiebreaker with NE. Titans could lose one of these: at PIT, SF, and MIA. Chiefs might not lose another game. So TEN locking up a bye seems way more difficult than being portrayed. 

there’s little reason to think either the chiefs or pats lose another game. The Titans might get lucky with a pats loss to Buffalo, but “shouldn’t have much issue” is far too optimistic imo. 
Maybe so but they have an extremely easy schedule remaining, I’d argue easier than NE who also has to play the Colts also, and definitely KC who has to play 3 teams with winning records.

I was referring to his workload in the playoffs. Going from hurt to 40 touches seems like a bad idea. 

As far as them getting a bye, there is only one bye now. IMO, one more TEN loss and they will be out of the running. They lose the tiebreaker with NE. Titans could lose one of these: at PIT, SF, and MIA. Chiefs might not lose another game. So TEN locking up a bye seems way more difficult than being portrayed. 
Ugh thanks, totally forgot there was only one Bye now. That seems much more difficult then.

Reports today return for playoffs or sooner

Buckna said:
Week 18 "if needed" and I think most of my leagues are wrapped up by that time...

-Looks like Foreman has the job locked up for the remainder of the FF season, even if he can produce 10-15+ points, fills a hole on many rosters right here at the end of the season. 

Week 18 "if needed" and I think most of my leagues are wrapped up by that time...

-Looks like Foreman has the job locked up for the remainder of the FF season, even if he can produce 10-15+ points, fills a hole on many rosters right here at the end of the season. 
Most Titans fans thought Hilliard did til last week. 

It was really frustrating. The Titans almost have a rule that backups can not get a head of steam and gain confidence. It's not different with NWI or Marcus Johnson. They'll put in a good game or two and then be ghosted from the gameplan

Most Titans fans thought Hilliard did til last week. 
Why? Hilliard caught a bunch of passes against Houston with McNichols out and the Titans still were kicking the tires on Peterson clouding the backfield. Against the Patriots, with Peterson gone, he had a nice game on paper but he was clearly the secondary back to Foreman (who also had a good game and played late in a big loss meaning he is part of the catch up offense) and the Titans never stopped using Hilliard as a returner. It seems that he is too valuable on special teams and was never slated for anything more that a complementary role.

Why? Hilliard caught a bunch of passes against Houston with McNichols out and the Titans still were kicking the tires on Peterson clouding the backfield. Against the Patriots, with Peterson gone, he had a nice game on paper but he was clearly the secondary back to Foreman (who also had a good game and played late in a big loss meaning he is part of the catch up offense) and the Titans never stopped using Hilliard as a returner. It seems that he is too valuable on special teams and was never slated for anything more that a complementary role.
I like your reasoning.

I think you'll find Foreman frustrates you soon and you'll "join the club."

The Titans regularly had at least two top ST players and employing two ST coaches with like 20-30 years experience was such a simple excellent move. 

I don't know that Vrabel pushed an older guy out but they've only had one for a while and their ST hasn't been all that good since.

Hilliard might work out as a returner but I'm doubtful. The blocking isn't there. Adoree would have been awesome. Evans and some others have had wiggle n speed. They all get hit so quick or have nowhere to go. Kern is getting old and some days still looks like the team's MVP but the Titans never smash some returner. Stats wise they're fine but I was spoiled by always having top ST units and at least two on the Pro Bowl.

The Titans (and the NFL) should go back to having two old long time coaches. It's supposedly technique and hustle any experienced coach can teach and relatively simple in theory so...get that done rather than this talk of removing the KO by the competition committee

This week, it came out that Henry (and probably his agent and team trainers and doctors and coaches and...) decided to make this a bigger deal surgery than normal.

Usually it's a quick no big deal surgery but he had a plate and pins "installed."

I'm a bit more hesitant now that he'll return.

Radio stations in Nashville have had a couple docs on (should be able to hear on Twitter) that indicate this goes from a 6-8 week to ten week recovery time.

Henry is abnormal. I don't know that he's Rice or ADP looking like they never tore their ACL because he's had very few injuries during his career to go on. I mean his bod is in better shape than even most NFL players and lots of hits and cuts that affect most never bother him.

Vrabel has confirmed he is doing drills with the training staff using his bad foot. 

So they didn't wait the ten weeks and most writers haven't changed their prognosis because he's working out early. I don't disagree.

This is just something to chew on.

Also the plate about guarantees he'll never have this injury again once he's recovered so it's a wise decision

There is no chance in H that he plays in snow and rain for your ff championship game...just to be clear

There is no chance in H that he plays in snow and rain for your ff championship game...just to be clear
Do you think they play him next week now? 
It looks like they need to win to lock the 1 seed, or KC lose. 

Users who are viewing this thread