What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady, Known Cheater (1 Viewer)

Punishment Should've Been?

• Fired

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Reprimanded

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Nothing

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Promotion

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters
I said "Nothing". If we cant laugh about something like that, we're taking things (or ourselves) too seriously.
There are laws in this country about slander / libel ... news companies would probably be at the forefront when it comes to entities that would like to avoid being accused of it. 

“The graphic that appeared Monday violated our news standards. The individual who created the graphic no longer works for KDKA-TV.”
Factual reporting?  That violates your news standards??? 

I got a chuckle out of it.  

There are laws in this country about slander / libel ... news companies would probably be at the forefront when it comes to entities that would like to avoid being accused of it. 
I get that. But it’s sports. It’s the toy department. It was clearly a joke.  :shrug:

As others have pointed out, facts are the ultimate defense against slander or libel. 

Both the Patriots and Brady are known cheaters, and those aren't salty tears or allegations, it's the truth that the league found under their own CBA.

He also clearly meets the newsworthy standard of reporting. 

I'd still discipline the graphics guy, though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fire him.   

As others have pointed out, facts are the ultimate defense against slander or libel. 

Both the Patriots and Brady are known cheaters, and those aren't salty tears or allegations, it's the truth that the league found under their own CBA.

He also clearly meets the newsworthy standard of reporting. 

I'd still discipline the graphics guy, though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fire him.   
Regardless of that, I don't want some AV schlub thinking he knows what's right and what's wrong. He's told that by someone who does know. 

Obviously Patriots fans aren’t going to be happy, but it’s accurate and seems suitable for the local market.

You know what? Like AhrnCityPahnder many moons ago pointed out to me, I'm still surprised that a Pittsburgh station has the call letter "K" in front of it. 

Seems like it's east of the Mississippi. 

Boy, that FCC!  What a bunch a ruffians!  

actually, they are a bunch of ruffians.  

I think people don't understand how this works and just want to look at it as a joke.

I'm guessing a mid level manager saw this and fired the kid.  And I'm guessing he did it because he was worried his boss would call down and ask how this kind of stuff gets by on his watch.  And now he can say, "Don't worry.  I took care of it."  

I don't blame the manager.  I wouldn't let my career be ruined because someone decided to be funny.  As someone who tends to be a wisecracker and spout off jokes at work, I sure as hell know when and when not to do so.  Time and place.  Simple as that.

I think people don't understand how this works and just want to look at it as a joke.

I'm guessing a mid level manager saw this and fired the kid.  And I'm guessing he did it because he was worried his boss would call down and ask how this kind of stuff gets by on his watch.  And now he can say, "Don't worry.  I took care of it."  

I don't blame the manager.  I wouldn't let my career be ruined because someone decided to be funny.  As someone who tends to be a wisecracker and spout off jokes at work, I sure as hell know when and when not to do so.  Time and place.  Simple as that.
I think people get why he was fired or disciplined, I just think they also hate Brady and the Cheatriots. It's a light-hearted romp of a thread.    

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Just trying to test the waters if it was done to someone else if people would have the same reaction . . .

Ben Roethlisberger - Known Rapist
Barry Bonds - Known Juicer
Michael Jackson - Known Pedophile
Donald Trump - Known Liar
Bill Cosby - Known Abuser of Women
You nailed 4 out of 5, imo

i think it would be awesome if the next guy did it too and it just became a thing at the station where everyone in the role would put up some insult about tom brady and get fired and then when they advertise hr puts it out that they want someone to run insulting graphics about tom brady and the whole thing is actually a sitcom about the mid level manager who fires the same position over and over for the same transgrashun and each week it is a character study about the new graphics guy who will be fired at he end of the episode and as we learn a little about that guy we also learn a little bit about ourselves all to a laugh track that to the bank brohans 

i think it would be awesome if the next guy did it too and it just became a thing at the station where everyone in the role would put up some insult about tom brady and get fired and then when they advertise hr puts it out that they want someone to run insulting graphics about tom brady and the whole thing is actually a sitcom about the mid level manager who fires the same position over and over for the same transgrashun and each week it is a character study about the new graphics guy who will be fired at he end of the episode and as we learn a little about that guy we also learn a little bit about ourselves all to a laugh track that to the bank brohans 
Yeah, this got me. Your shtick on this one is strong. Don't let em get you down brohan you just keep slinging.  

Just trying to test the waters if it was done to someone else if people would have the same reaction . . .

Ben Roethlisberger - Known Rapist
Barry Bonds - Known Juicer
Bill Cosby - Known Abuser of Women
The Cosby one would certainly fly since he’s been convicted.

None of this bothers me at all, but if a station is trying to provide high quality, unbiased news and journalism than this obviously wouldn't fit. Brady would probably laugh and respond that he's still there . . . where are the Steelers? Robert Kraft would care a lot more, and if anyone on the NE side would look to go after anyone, he would be the one. Not saying he would, but he cares about the team's brand, image, and reputation (and realistically his pocket book and what it would mean to the value of the franchise).

To the letter of the law, what makes a cheater in football? A case could be made for just about anything. Someone that was misreported on the injury report? Someone that got suspended for PED's? Someone that committed a penalty? Someone that got fined for a late hit? How about the NOS defender that DIDN'T get called for DPI but admitted he intended to break the rules rather than give up a TD? Does a coach interfering with a kick returner count? How about a team that circumvented the salary cap? How about excessively celebrating or taunting in the end zone? Technically those are all against the rules and things that receiving some sort of discipline, fine, suspension, penalty, etc.

Ben Roethlisberger - Suspected Rapist
Barry Bonds - Known Steroid User
Bill Cosby - Known Rapist
Big Ben wasn't convicted, that would technically be slander. 

The rest would be factually accurate. 

Made some small adjustments, depending on the context of the story, I would be okay with any of the above :shrug:

Big Ben wasn't convicted, that would technically be slander. 

The rest would be factually accurate. 

Made some small adjustments, depending on the context of the story, I would be okay with any of the above :shrug:
I mentioned Big Ben because it was a Pittsburgh station. As far as he goes, he was suspended for what he did. So would calling him a known rapist be inaccurate? Sure, he wasn't convicted of a crime . . . but the NFL didn't care.

Compare that to Brady, whatever he may or may not have done, none of that violated any laws. It may have been something deemed to have violated the integrity of the game. But technically Brady was not convicted of a crime either (and one of the judges in the court case specifically said the NFL did not prove Brady actually did anything . . . but the court case was focused on whether the commissioner had the right to invoke his all knowing right to punish Brady).

All semantics and perspective, I guess. Again, not trying to make Brady out like he was sweet 16 and never been kissed.

I mentioned Big Ben because it was a Pittsburgh station. As far as he goes, he was suspended for what he did. So would calling him a known rapist be inaccurate? Sure, he wasn't convicted of a crime . . . but the NFL didn't care.

Compare that to Brady, whatever he may or may not have done, none of that violated any laws. It may have been something deemed to have violated the integrity of the game. But technically Brady was not convicted of a crime either (and one of the judges in the court case specifically said the NFL did not prove Brady actually did anything . . . but the court case was focused on whether the commissioner had the right to invoke his all knowing right to punish Brady).

All semantics and perspective, I guess. Again, not trying to make Brady out like he was sweet 16 and never been kissed.
He knowingly broke the rules to give himself an advantage - here is the definition of the word:

act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.
The statement was factually correct. 

To the letter of the law, what makes a cheater in football? A case could be made for just about anything. Someone that was misreported on the injury report? Someone that got suspended for PED's? Someone that committed a penalty? Someone that got fined for a late hit? How about the NOS defender that DIDN'T get called for DPI but admitted he intended to break the rules rather than give up a TD? Does a coach interfering with a kick returner count? How about a team that circumvented the salary cap? How about excessively celebrating or taunting in the end zone? Technically those are all against the rules and things that receiving some sort of discipline, fine, suspension, penalty, etc.
Any premeditated or non-transparent action outside the rules of the game in order to gain a competitive advantage is cheating.   Excessive celebrating may be a rules violation, but I would not consider it cheating.  Penalties, late hits, intentional interference, etc...are done in full open view and subject to be called with consequences administered immediately.  Sure they get away with things from time to time, but for the most part, these aren't premeditated attempts to gain an edge.  They are in the heat of battle reactionary type transgressions that are part of the game flow.   Secretly deflating footballs to make them easier to throw/catch is a premeditated action designed to gain an advantage and is an attempt to cheat in my book.

Any premeditated or non-transparent action outside the rules of the game in order to gain a competitive advantage is cheating.   Excessive celebrating may be a rules violation, but I would not consider it cheating.  Penalties, late hits, intentional interference, etc...are done in full open view and subject to be called with consequences administered immediately.  Sure they get away with things from time to time, but for the most part, these aren't premeditated attempts to gain an edge.  They are in the heat of battle reactionary type transgressions that are part of the game flow.   Secretly deflating footballs to make them easier to throw/catch is a premeditated action designed to gain an advantage and is an attempt to cheat in my book.
So the player from the Rams who openly admitted he intentionally hit the Saints receiver to avoid giving up a TD would be considered a cheater? Just trying to get a lay of the landscape. In his case, it was not a clandestine attempt to circumvent the rules. It got his team a victory and a trip to the Super Bowl. A case could be made that what he did had more impact than what Brady did (in altering the outcome of a game and who determining who advanced to the Super Bowl).

In the Deflategate game, NE won by 5 TD and he actually played better after the refs re-inflated the footballs. I don't think many people would say that what Brady did impacted the outcome of that individual game. I will concede that to the letter of the rules, what he did at some point (maybe not in that game) could be considered a rules infraction and warranted some sort of discipline.

This thread has apparently reached maximum stupidity.
It is pretty pointless arguing with a Patriots honk about the deflategate. 

He broke the rules, knowingly, to gain an advantage. Not even sure what this guy is arguing. 

Let's just get back to the discipline this guy received, which I found to be excessive, assuming he was otherwise a good employee. 

Users who are viewing this thread