What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Hargrove (1 Viewer)

Rozelle

Rams | Little could get more work at right defensive end Thursday

Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:04:26 -0700

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams DL Leonard Little could get more work at right defensive end Thursday, Aug. 31, during the preseason finale.

Whatsup with this? Hargrove headed to the bench?

Here's the full excerpt. Just looks like they'll be moving them around the line some. Although Adenayju has certainly looked good against the twos, so it's worth keeping an eye on.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett had been itching for a look at end Leonard Little on the right side, and he got it in Kansas City. Little could get more work there tonight.

"I've been practicing for a long time on that side, so, really, I feel uncomfortable on the left side now," Little said, laughing. "But that's what we're going to be this year. Me and Tony (Hargrove) are going to be all over the place."

Little has been the Rams' starter at left end for the past four years. Hargrove is the other first-team end.

Here's the full excerpt. Just looks like they'll be moving them around the line some. Although Adenayju has certainly looked good against the twos, so it's worth keeping an eye on.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett had been itching for a look at end Leonard Little on the right side, and he got it in Kansas City. Little could get more work there tonight.

"I've been practicing for a long time on that side, so, really, I feel uncomfortable on the left side now," Little said, laughing. "But that's what we're going to be this year. Me and Tony (Hargrove) are going to be all over the place."

Little has been the Rams' starter at left end for the past four years. Hargrove is the other first-team end.
How does a move like that project for their Fantasy output? Does it put Hargrove in a better or worse situation for tackles and sacks than say a guy like Hali in KC?

brakeyawself said:
Jene Bramel said:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

How does a move like that project for their Fantasy output? Does it put Hargrove in a better or worse situation for tackles and sacks than say a guy like Hali in KC?
Rudnicki has been looking into this -- but I don't think there's a clear answer.The thinking is that the RDE may be more likely to be the primary sacker on the line because he faces the LT on the weak side of the offensive formation (no TE to chip block, etc). How much of this is mitigated by the fact that the LT tends to be the best pass protector on the offensive line is hard to say. It probably is important for the week-to-week managment of your teams if you have three good ends or are playing matchups for injury/bye week purposes.

That is, if you're deciding which of two ends to start, understanding the scheme/responsibility and opposing offensive line personnel helps tremendously. You may actually go against the grain of the RDE thinking if the opposing team sends its TE out in pass routes frequently or if the RT/TE are particularly weak pass protectors.

brakeyawself said:
Jene Bramel said:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Rudnicki has been looking into this -- but I don't think there's a clear answer.The thinking is that the RDE may be more likely to be the primary sacker on the line because he faces the LT on the weak side of the offensive formation (no TE to chip block, etc). How much of this is mitigated by the fact that the LT tends to be the best pass protector on the offensive line is hard to say. It probably is important for the week-to-week managment of your teams if you have three good ends or are playing matchups for injury/bye week purposes.

That is, if you're deciding which of two ends to start, understanding the scheme/responsibility and opposing offensive line personnel helps tremendously. You may actually go against the grain of the RDE thinking if the opposing team sends its TE out in pass routes frequently or if the RT/TE are particularly weak pass protectors.
That sounds confusing. Sounds to me though if they are moving them around they would be moving Little to where they want their sacker to be then right? Which would mean Hargrove probably gets less pass rushing chances? I could be way off.But if you only had 1 spot for 1 defensive end then, the better choice now would be Hali eh? Or steadier choice?

brakeyawself said:

That sounds confusing. Sounds to me though if they are moving them around they would be moving Little to where they want their sacker to be then right? Which would mean Hargrove probably gets less pass rushing chances? I could be way off.But if you only had 1 spot for 1 defensive end then, the better choice now would be Hali eh? Or steadier choice?
Heh, sorry, don't mean for it to be confusing. They'll both get equal pass rushing chances. The question is, which side of the argument you fall on as your default -- is it easier to pass rush from the strongside LDE against more double teams but weaker pass protectors or from the weakside RDE against fewer double teams but the stud LT?

But there are no absolutes. Stud LDEs (Michael Strahan, Julius Peppers) exist. If you can rush the passer from anywhere, your left DE will get more opportunities to make plays in run support and run their tackle numbers up. So, as always, you've got to take everything into consideration.

Me? I'm big on Hargrove this season -- he showed improvement last year and while inconsistent still approached 45 tackles with only 6.5 sacks. Hali has the tools and looked good in camp but the list of rookies who didn't put it all together when the lights went on is long. So's the list of guys who looked good for a few games in a given season but were never heard from again. For now, I've got Hargrove ahead of Hali, but not by much.

Last edited by a moderator:
brakeyawself said:
Jene Bramel said:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Thanks, Jean

Users who are viewing this thread