What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 100 Heavy Metal and glam rock acts from the MTV era - it's still real to me (1 Viewer)

I figured Ozzy would be number one since he's the Prince of Darkness and Godfather of metal.

Saw him on 3 of his tours in the 80's and went to every Ozzfest except for 2. He's my sister's fav all time artist but her boyfriend is kinda meh on him. He would buy me a ticket to go with her on the Ozzfest so he wouldn't have to.

2. Ozzy Osbourne
I can understand the ranking. Musically, no, but as the face of metal in the ‘80s? Yeah, top 5.

I got into his early stuff after Randy died, Ultimate Sin was my first cassette (then Tribute). He did introduce us to some amazing guitar gods!

Saw Ozzy on the “Theatre of Madness” tour at the Tower Theater in Philly in ‘92- this was the warmup to the “No more tours” arena shows later that year. 10 years later I toured w/ a band playing Ozzfest. 20 years after that and the ******* is still sucking money out of people for rescheduled shows. Unbelievable! Sharon may prop his dead body up on stage in 20 years if she thinks she can sell a few hundred tickets.

Man, with Ozzy at #2, this can only mean one thing. The ancient writings have been unearthed and translated for us all to see the true crown bearer of ‘80s metal…

Listen Here Wolfchild
I Speak To You Of The Science Of Mythology
I Speak Of Maverick Deviation
The Psychotronic Love Commandos
We Shall Be Drunken Stars
We Shall Fear Nothing
Demand The Impossible
Dream Your Destiny
Defy The Logic Of Alphabets
I Slayed The King Of The Wolves
Nothing Is Impossible

Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction

:headbang:

Man, with Ozzy at #2, this can only mean one thing. The ancient writings have been unearthed and translated for us all to see the true crown bearer of ‘80s metal…

Listen Here Wolfchild
We Shall Fear Nothing
Demand The Impossible
Dream Your Destiny
Nothing Is Impossible

💘

I thought this would show up on the list somewhere!

Listen Here Wolfchild
We Shall Fear Nothing
Demand The Impossible
Dream Your Destiny
Nothing Is Impossible

wow

My guess is Venom here at the #1 spot

Buried Alive

Early one Saturday morning, my Mom wakes me up saying "wake up! I just heard on the news that Ozzy Osbourne died!" As a huge Sabbath fan, she was very familiar with one of my favorite musicians. I jumped out of bed and frantically scrolled the radio dial trying to find a news story on it. Even heard a teaser at the top of the hour which made it sound like it was true. Finally, when they got to the story, I was relieved it wasn't Ozzy but still really bummed that it was Randy Rhodes. What an amazing guitarist and what an incredible and unexpected comeback Blizzard of Ozz was for Ozzy. No one expected that. 

If you did a metal Mount Rushmore no doubt Ozzy is on it
Fo' sho. 

I can understand the ranking. Musically, no, but as the face of metal in the ‘80s? Yeah, top 5.
After Metallica landed at #3, I was expecting everyone's favorite burned out British uncle was going to land at #1.  I wouldn't have been too upset either, as far as that goes.   As you say, he pretty much was "the face of metal" for the better part of, what, 30 years?  That's a pretty big schlong to wag at someone makin' a list like this.

Spotify playlist

2. Ozzy Osbourne
3. Metallica
4. Iron Maiden
5. Ronnie James Dio
6. Guns N' Roses
7. Bon Jovi 
8. Def Leppard
9. Megadeth
10. Judas Priest  
11. Slayer
12. Van Halen / DLR 
13. Ratt
14. Scorpions
15. Queensryche
16. Tesla
17. L.A. Guns
18. Dokken 
19. Skid Row
20. Whitesnake 
21. Alice Cooper 
22. Poison
23. Quiet Riot 
24. Cinderella
25. White Lion

26. AC/DC
27. Anthrax / S.O.D.
28. Motorhead
29. Lita Ford
30. Aerosmith
31. Living Colour
32. The Cult
33. Metal Church
34. Pantera
35. VVI / Slaughter
36. KISS
37. Faster #####cat
38. Europe
39. Great White
40. Y&T
41. Warrant
42. Extreme
43. Stryper
44. Winger
45. Kix
46. Bulletboys
47. Junkyard
48. Dangerous Toys
49. Enuff Z'Nuff
50. Twisted Sister

51. Hanoi Rocks
52. Danzig
53. Candlebox
54. Yngwie Malmsteen 
55. Journey / HSAS / Bad English
56. Testament 
57. Savatage
58. W.A.S.P. 
59. Tora Tora
60. D.A.D.
61. Mr. Big / Racer X
62. Blue Murder
63. Manowar
64. Accept
65. Britny Fox
66. Bang Tango
67. Vain
68. Diamond Head / Tygers of Pan Tang / Riot
69. Dirty Looks
70. Kingdom Come
71. Badlands
72. Hurricane
73. Doro / Warlock
74. Joe Satriani
75. King's X

76. Last Crack
77. Loudness
78. Krokus
79. Thunder
80. Ugly Kid Joe
81. Autograph
82. Cheap Trick
83. Grim Reaper
84. Anvil
85. Smashed Gladys
88. Salty Dog
87. Sons of Angels
88. The Front
89. Nitro
90. Saigon Kick
91. Helloween
92. Giuffria / House of Lords
93. Bonham
94. Gorky Park
95. Black n' Blue
96. Vixen
97. Love/Hate
98. Merciful Fate / King Diamond
99. Nelson
100. Sea Hags

Judas Priest is/was and will always be heavy metal band #1 on MTV from the 80s. ALWAYS 

1 Priest. Please see this video from the 70s. Halford borrowed his sisters shirt for the TV show LOL. KK Downing dressed like he's in .38 special or Skynard.l..but listen to Halford's voice..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvlq1F-X6Ko and he looks like he's going to thrash the crap out of you. 

and this is the single greatest entrance to a live show stage ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMVV_HsHcX0 , Halford just strolls in like he owns the place. LOL

2. Ozzie.Randy Rhodes was and still is a guitar god. Jake E Lee replacing Randy Rhodes mere weeks after his passing , US Fest debut. 19 yrs old.this Kid KILLED it 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ8FL2QFhiY

3. Maiden. with respect to Bruce Dickinson, Paul Di'Anno is just better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-i-9dgSD78 . Clive Burr on drums! 

4.  metallica

5. motorhead

6.slayer

7.Quiet Riot - half the band was Ozzie's band at one point. The amount of stars that went through Quiet Riot is impressive.

8. Deep Purple. please go play Perfect Strangers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_kez7WVUU they kill it on this album, one of the best during the 80s. the whole album kicks ###. turn it up, waaaay up. whole album here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFCRm68OF7I&list=PLgLk-j8sdm7bzPad_K7xDkqVuoA52Yuqq this band was HUGE in the 80s MTV era.

can we count punk bands in with the heavy metal ones? Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, Talking Heads? Where's Motley Crew? Megadeth. 

9. Scorpions. one of the biggest bands of the 80s. awesome sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
can we count punk bands in with the heavy metal ones? Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, Talking Heads? Where's Motley Crew? Megadeth.
This is not snark when I reply. Considering that the title contains the words Heavy Metal bands, I think our faithful guide here has stayed true to the spirit of things. Not to mention that those bands, other than Talking Heads, did not take advantage of MTV very much in their rise to popularity, nor did they use it for their staying power with fans. And they didn't start in nor really use the MTV era, except for the Heads. 

And I'd hold off a bit on wondering where Mötley Crüe is. You may get rewarded yet. 

After Metallica landed at #3, I was expecting everyone's favorite burned out British uncle was going to land at #1.  I wouldn't have been too upset either, as far as that goes.   As you say, he pretty much was "the face of metal" for the better part of, what, 30 years?  That's a pretty big schlong to wag at someone makin' a list like this.
Which Ozzy used with great aplomb at the Alamo.

5-ish Finkle said:
Mike walking down the hall to take a dump/taking the dump, though.  That counts for at least a couple of points, I guess?  "Metal"?!
Metal?! Yes, let me check my metal meter...yeah, that's metal. But borderline hippie. Humanure and all that jazz. 

Ozzy. What to say. I remember sitting transfixed at a hugely attended baseball camp one day while a teenager -- one of the very few black kids attending the baseball camp -- came into the center quad at Loomis Chaffee riding a Big Wheel™, commanding the attention of everybody seven and up by making a grand entrance to his name being chanted by the older kids (camp ran from about seven to eighteen years of age). "Jo-be Jo-be JO-BE." After his grand entrance on the makeshift plastic vehicle, he stopped, paused, looked at the crowd, got up off of the bike and proceeded with his sermon on the mount. It consisted of him singing the "Ay-ay-ay" of Crazy Train over and over, repeatedly. Everybody whooped, hollered and cheered. Brought the house down. 

Anyway, Ozzy had a knack for a hook. 

Bogart said:
Which band battle is more heated?

Van Halen vs. Van Hagar

or

Metallica pre Black Album vs. Metallica post Black Album
Post black Metallica is a lot different if you listened to them for a few years and didn't know about anything pre black until reload.

Not gonna argue any rankings in this thread [yet]. 

That said, Rik Emmett is WILDLY underrated as a singer and guitarist. 

But Canada, amirite? 
I'd definitely vote to include Triumph. Lay It On The Line got alot of play on MTV along with Magic Power etc.  Definitely more talented than some of the bands here - Rik Emmett is an acclaimed jazz guitarist.

Never Surrender tour was my 1st concert with Foghat opening. I was 15 & went with 2 female cousins & their friends 2 years older than me. No fun stories like @DJackson10, just remember being stunned to find out my cousins smoked cigarettes. Also remember seeing someone couple rows behind doing coke out of their hand. Innocent times.

It all depends on what song he’s performing.

Saw Black Sabbath with Ozzy play at Jones Beach in 2016.

Old and decrepit as he limped onto the stage. Didn't look  promising but the mofo belted out songs like he was 25 again. I was shocked he sounded as good as he did.

Saw Black Sabbath with Ozzy play at Jones Beach in 2016.

Old and decrepit as he limped onto the stage. Didn't look  promising but the mofo belted out songs like he was 25 again. I was shocked he sounded as good as he did.
I saw him twice in the mid-80s.  He was pretty messed up, forgot the words to a lot of the songs.  

As for Ozzy...I wore out TWO cassettes of the Tribute album (which, of course, is basically a live version of Blizzard) and still listen to songs off it regularly. For a time, Crazy Train was my #1 all time favorite song - although today I can only listen to the Tribute version. Randy Rhodes...what can you say other than "awesome"?

I still really like Ultimate Sin and Shot in the Dark.

No Rest For the Wicked was a gigantic disappointment. I think I liked Fire In The Sky but the rest was just terrible to me.

He did indeed bounce back in '91 with No More Tears. My favorite off that album is Time After Time.

Two notable omissions off the top of my head - Saxon and Pretty Maids.  Don’t remember seeing Sammy Hagar either, unless he was lumped in with VH.  His solo career  was every bit as big as with VH.

Two notable omissions off the top of my head - Saxon and Pretty Maids.  Don’t remember seeing Sammy Hagar either, unless he was lumped in with VH.  His solo career  was every bit as big as with VH.
Was thinking the same thing. 

Also, I'm hoping that Billy Idol just didn't fit the criteria. Otherwise....

Sincerest apologies to Metallica, for phoning it in on their entry.  This one will have to involve a little more thought and explanation.

An a__hole, a coke head, and the world's sloppiest fn drunk, why it's RAWK AND RAWLLL'S ONE AND ONLY PRINCE OF FAHKING DAHKNESS HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA

2. Ozzy Osbourne

Ousted frontman of the once greatest metal band, he wrote Goodbye to Romance about the uncertainty he was facing about his future.  And lets be sure, this wastoid toolbag had no right having such an incredible second act.

But with help from a series of hand picked hungry (and patient) young musicians, and a hyper-focused manager/wife, they kept the crazy train on the tracks all through the decade, and even had things on a high point in 1991 when most of these other noobs were starting to slip.

(Sharon took over management of Ozzy after her father, manager of Sabbath, fired him from Sabbath.  Married a few years later)

It was supposed to be Ozzy Osbourne and the Blizzard of Ozz (the name of the band) but the Osbourne camp started right away with the personnel shenanigans, and took full control.  By most accounts Randy Rhoads was never happy with things, not properly acknowledged or compensated, and the rest of the "band" was more or less a revolving door.  Ozzy was generally a drunken loon at most times.

Blizzard of Ozz
 Mr Crowley live 81
 Flying High Again
 Diary of a Madman

Randy dies on private plane, alongside a makeup artist and screwup bus driver/pilot.  Full account here and more.  Sounds like a clown show tour Shaaaaron

Jake E. Lee is brought in for the next two albums.  He would ultimately be dumped, probably after asking for a fairer shake.  Easy to surmise from all I've been reading that most Ozzy solo material was written by his band members in rehearsals.

Bark at the Moon

Shot in the Dark

Young Zakk Wylde auditions and takes Lee's job.  To be fair, up to today 2022, Zakk Wylde doesn't seem to have any complaints and has come and gone from Ozzy's lineup freely, as he's pursued his own pretty moderately excellent career.

Ozzy's Moscow set 1989

1991:
 No More Tears
 Mama I'm Coming Home

OK OK enough about the music, how's it even that great.. it really isn't..

But Ozzy, man, he was the head of the ####### spear..

He truly was public enemy #1 , and particularly from church groups here in the states, he was the guy the moral majority usually wanted nailed to their highest cross.  Also hauled into court multiple times when fans did murdery/suicidy things.

HE ATE A ####### DOVE.  FOR DESSERT, A ####### BAT. SUCK IT COVID GUY

Peed on or near the Alamo.  Snorted a line of ants.  

Personal rock and roll hero to many of the dumbest rock and roll heroes, look no further than #1

I haven't often been giving much weight to post-MTV-era activities, unless truly remarkable, but a few things to consider with Ozzy..

Somehow still alive

INVENTED GARBAGE #### AROUND-RICH-A-HOLES-HOUSE REALITY TV .. THANK YOU WE LOVE IT

Ozzfest... killer!

I was never at any time a big Ozzy fan.  I thought Shot In The Dark was pretty good and I slowly found the stuff in his catalog that I liked.  Dead before I ever knew his name, I respect Randy Rhoads of course and even miss him, even more after catching up on his early years.  I liked Jake E. Lee's Badlands album better than any Ozzy albums.  (But I also love Zep first and foremost.)

I don't expect many people to come in here loving on Ozzy, or being into this pick. What I've tried to do all along was put myself back in time as best I can for a lot of this, and it always felt like he was - like I said, the head of the all-things-metal spear, in a way, and even as Iommi's Sabbath train ran off the tracks, team Ozzy never blinked and never stumbled (for long)

Early youtube goodness - 1974 California Jam, same festival as the Purple show in the Whitesnake entry
Never a fan other than Crazy Train and that because of Randy Rhodes, not Ozzy. Saw him once in concert only because my niece loved him and her mom wouldn't let her go on her own so she bought me a ticket to take her. He's never done anything for me musically, don't see the draw myself but rock on.

I guess I do have another Ozzy song in the rotation now that I think about it, Zombie Stomp.

Saxon often gets cited by a lot of '80s metal guys as being a huge influence on them. Essentially a pioneer in the "new wave of British heavy metal".

Bass player Steve Dawson has often been cited as the inspiration behind Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap, with mannerisms like pointing to the audience.

Saxon often gets cited by a lot of '80s metal guys as being a huge influence on them. Essentially a pioneer in the "new wave of British heavy metal".

Bass player Steve Dawson has often been cited as the inspiration behind Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap, with mannerisms like pointing to the audience.
They still tour.  Wheels of Steel is an essential 80’s metal song.

They still tour.  Wheels of Steel is an essential 80’s metal song.
Classic album. I have that, Denim and Leather, and Strong Arm of the Law in my Apple library.

Classic album. I have that, Denim and Leather, and Strong Arm of the Law in my Apple library.
Was in my local supermarket food shipping the other day and Denim and Leather was playing on the loudspeaker, and it was fairly loud. Was pretty freaking awesome. 

I’ve mentioned being an avid reader of the “metal” magazines of the time. Hit Parader did a special issue around 1988 listing the top 100 heavy metal songs of all time. I don’t remember much about what songs were on that list, but solo Ozzy and Black Sabbath were represented. I voraciously read that issue and began to work my way through the list. Having grown up in a pretty rural area, I didn’t have access to a radio station that would have played many of the songs listed, so I was distinctly aware of classic songs like Purple Haze (yeah, I know, Purple Haze was a metal song? According to Hit Parader it was!), Smoke on the Water, Ace of Spades, You’ve Got Another Thing Coming, Rock You Like A Hurricane, etc. before I ever heard a single note of any of them.

After my avid reading and cross-referencing (Circus magazine, Rolling Stone) confirmed that Crazy Train was indeed an absolute juggernaut of the genre, I made it my mission to hear that song. I was already dipping my toes into Ozzy-era Sabbath and loved it, so I got my hands on a used Tribute cassette, not even realizing it was a live album, and eagerly took it home to hear this epic song. I patiently waited through I Don’t Know, which is killer, and then Crazy Train came on…

Since my musical conversion to digital, I’ve discovered that my interest in even an epically great song wanes after roughly 50 listens. There are so many songs and albums I wish I could go back and hear with fresh, young, un-jaded ears to recapture the intensity of discovering them. With Crazy Train, I don’t have to. It’s one of those few times in my life that I was so transfixed that I remember it vividly. Simply put, it’s one of the greatest ####ing rock tunes ever. A supremely talented guitarist ripping through not one, but two ridiculously great guitar riffs, starting with a chug and then soaring into a bright melody, with lyrics that are dark yet uplifting. Overplayed beyond comprehension? Hell yes. But unquestionably great.

And the true litmus test for enduring greatness? My 10-year old son loves the #### out of it too. 

Yeah he crossed my mind, plenty of great tunes, some of them great rockers. Maybe a tweener in terms of genre? 
Billy Idol is great, but definitely not metal, even by Hit Parader's relaxed standards. More punk-tinged straight-ahead rock n roll. An argument could be made to classify his earlier solo stuff as new wave, but semantics are boring.

This is correct. Ozzy is, f’ing Ozzy. 
I remember just getting into Ozzy and heavy metal and then Randy dying a couple of years later.  As a 13 year old kid, this was a big deal for me and my friends that found the music that we loved.  Ozzy was huge.  Every metal head that I knew had Ozzy at the top of their list. The big tidal wave of hair bands hadn’t hit yet.   There were probably only 10 heavy metal bands that mattered to me and my friends.  I remember where I was when I heard Randy was killed.   I was devastated.   It still bothered me.  He was so young.   He had so much more of his gift to share with the world.

i still listen to Diary a ton.   I love Randy’s solos and tone on that album.  

I know Ozzy hated the Speak of the Devil album but I loved it when it came out.   It’s really a Black Sabbath album but the crowd chanting “Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy” leading into Symptom is awesome.   

Ozzy easily deserves this spot in the ranking.  He not only led the way for many of the bands that followed and put out great music over a period of many years, he also found fantastic guitar players to share with the world.  

Yeah he crossed my mind, plenty of great tunes, some of them great rockers. Maybe a tweener in terms of genre? 

Billy Idol is great, but definitely not metal, even by Hit Parader's relaxed standards. More punk-tinged straight-ahead rock n roll. An argument could be made to classify his earlier solo stuff as new wave, but semantics are boring.
I would say definitely a tweener, yet he is played on Hair Nation. And he was dominant in MTV days.

My best friend is more of a punk/new wave fan, especially back in HS, but we were both big Idol fans. Really liked Steve Stevens & he provided more of the rock/metal edge to the music.

Idol has a pretty decent holiday album as well - "Happy Holidays"

I liked Billy Idol and considered him but, never really in the scene and he wasn't making bangers for long. He's been name dropped a time or two

OK here we go, get ready to lodge those complaints

(Zodiac Mindwarp -- sorry -- shout out!)

1. Mötley Crüe

What to say that hasn't already been said?  For a few years around the mid-80's, these fools were the kings of metal mountain and anyone at least halfway prone to hairspray wanted to be them, until GNR came along in 1988 and knocked them off, putting out a record better than the Crue could come up with in a million years.  They didn't hang their heads, though, releasing their biggest and at least, most fleshed out LP in '89.

Make no mistake, this is a relatively crummy band and you can't even look at one or two guys and say that's what drove the sound.  Nikki Sixx could write a hook, Mick Mars played dirty, Tommy Lee could push a heavy, exciting beat, and last but not least, Vince Neil had the perfect pipes, distinctive and never forced.  A true balancing act.

I remember reading back then that Vince had been a big time high school baseball player, but I'm not finding much on it.  Vince knew Tommy in high school.  Nikki and Tommy got together on the Strip after Sixx's band London dissolved, a band that seemed to have its share of turmoil in its short lifespan.

Crue's sound, and presumably shtick to some extent, blew the doors off the scene, as we heard from a former Ratt member, at a time when skinny ties and new wave had been the thing.

Too Fast For Love
 Live Wire that pentagram.. that was their thing .. half a million Trapper Keepers would later burn in hell
 Piece of Your Action

Shout At The Devil  
the whole thing rules
 Looks That Kill rules
 Too Young rules
Helter Skelter! @Leroy?

Vince kills Razzle.  Their misadventures with hard drugs and drinking would continue to be widely publicized.

Theatre of Pain - outside of a monster ballad, this is a fart in the wind.  There's just no muscle.
Smokin
Home Sweet Home
Use It or Lose It

Girls Girls Girls
I liked this back then.  Dumb but good.
Wild Side
Dancing On Glass

Dr. Feelgood
I don't love it but it feels like a band who's comfortable.. I guess they weren't comfortable, or happy, but Bob Rock did yeoman's work here and it got him the Metallica job.
Dr. Feelgood
Kickstart My Heart

I liked this Tommy Bolin cover off the Stairway to Heaven comp

Vince Neil did a song in that Andrew Dice Clay movie too

And I didn't mind Primal Scream

But that was just about it.  Vince got fired, did a lame solo album.  Did his car racing thing.  Tragedy would circle back to Vince with the unthinkable, death of a child, and he slowly made his way back to the Crue.  The one song I like from the later years is Saints of Los Angeles. (probably because of Rock Band)

I don't have anything to offer from the John Corabi album but I knew people who liked it.

Why is Crue above Ozzy -- Ozzy was #1 for a while but, Ozzy and Sharon gained younger musicians' trust, exploited them and screwed them over.  Crue was just a sloppy ### drug fueled rock and roll steam engine.

Face of the era, I give you Mötley Crüe

My formative years were in LA, graduating high school in 85, listening to most/almost all of this music. I got to go out and see a lot of these bands play on the sunset strip. I got to meet and party with some of them. The first time I saw a schedule 2 drug was with non other than Billy idol, in a dj booth, at a club on Wilshire. I was friends with the dj, who was a big deal and he was friends with idol. 

thanks for doing this @plinko  Brings back a lot of fun memories. I’m fairly certain of the #1 band.  the lead singer pursued my sister.  Even sending flowers to our house. :lmao:   

While I might not agree with the ranking, there are few albums that I can remember that were as fresh, new and exciting as Too Fast for Love. It was like nothing else out there, similar to the first Van Halen album when it came out. I couldn't stop listening to it. I bought and enjoyed Shout at the Devil but that was it for me with Crue, but there's no denying the impact they made to music.

I remember just getting into Ozzy and heavy metal and then Randy dying a couple of years later.  As a 13 year old kid, this was a big deal for me and my friends that found the music that we loved.  Ozzy was huge.  Every metal head that I knew had Ozzy at the top of their list. The big tidal wave of hair bands hadn’t hit yet.  

Yea, almost one of those "you had to be there". I was 15 in 1981 when Blizzard was released, and Ozzy was massive. He dominated the early 80's for hard rock/metal. Then the Crue came along and really kicked off hair metal, Ozzy got fat, and while he never really faded, others passed him by. But he was so, so huge early, and his staple songs stayed in rotation.  Very worthy #2. 

I still ask my mom, with wonder in my voice, why didn’t you come tell me to turn that #### down?  Specifically in refetence to shout at the devil.  I wore that album out, volume at 11

While I might not agree with the ranking, there are few albums that I can remember that were as fresh, new and exciting as Too Fast for Love. It was like nothing else out there, similar to the first Van Halen album when it came out. I couldn't stop listening to it. I bought and enjoyed Shout at the Devil but that was it for me with Crue, but there's no denying the impact they made to music.

Living in upstate NY, I don't remember Too Fast for Love until after we all were blown away by Shout in 83. Then of course, we went back and discovered it (and I loved it - so raw). Crue is easily #1 for me. The rock/metal soundtrack of the 80's.

Can't argue with the Crue at #1, they are still beloved by metal heads the world over, and were really influential in the early-mid 80s when the scene was exploding. Not one of my favorite bands, but when Dr. Feelgood came out in the summer of 89 I remember it being a huge deal. And I'll always love Live Wire. 

Thanks for the thread Plinko! Had a blast!

Thanks for putting all this together plinko - I joined somewhat late but it's been a fun ride down memory lane. With that said . . .

Where the hell is Black Sabbath ranked? Did you leave them off the list completely? Ozzy and Dio had their own solo things going on but to omit Black Sabbath is a metal crime.

Motley Crue was a great band but there is no way in my book I can put them ahead of Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy or Dio - but hey that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread