What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 100 Heavy Metal and glam rock acts from the MTV era - it's still real to me (1 Viewer)

Crue has probably 4-5 songs that are "must listens" for me if I come across them, and arguably one of the best (if not the best) power ballads maybe ever....but there is so much dreck in that catalog otherwise, and it'd drive them down the list a bit for me.  Tommy Lee chucking that bag of rice in the "Too Young" video would keep 'em in the top five though. :)

Can't really argue putting them #1 toooo hard, given what the list is about, but if we flipped the top 5 upside down I think it'd be almost perfect for me:

1. Dio
2. Maiden
3. Metallica
4. Ozzy
5. Crue

I'd still probably bump Ozzy above Metallica, and would certainly be arguing with myself about Maiden and Dio for the #1 spot.  Neither would be the wrong answer, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crue has probably 4-5 songs that are "must listens" for me if I come across them, and arguably one of the best (if not the best) power ballads maybe ever....but there is so much dreck in that catalog otherwise, and it'd drive them down the list a bit for me.  Tommy Lee chucking that bag of rice in the "Too Young" video would keep 'em in the top five though. :)

Can't really argue putting them #1 toooo hard though, given what the list is about, but if we flipped the top 5 upside down I think it'd be almost perfect for me:

1. Dio
2. Maiden
3. Metallica
4. Ozzy
5. Crue

I'd still probably bump Ozzy above Metallica, and would certainly be arguing with myself about Maiden and Dio for the #1 spot.  Neither would be the wrong answer, IMO.
:goodposting:

Thanks for this @plinko I only checked in when I saw Slayer listed, thinking it was a hair band list until then. Still, you saved the best for last and it was fun looking back, even though it brought up some real rock bottom times for me that I've tried to forget. It's always good to remember where you came from though. :headbang:  

Thanks for this @plinko I only checked in when I saw Slayer listed, thinking it was a hair band list until then. Still, you saved the best for last and it was fun looking back, even though it brought up some real rock bottom times for me that I've tried to forget. It's always good to remember where you came from though. :headbang:  

I tried to bring it all together, like it used to be...

I like a lot of Crue's stuff...but only when it's shuffled in with other music. They're not a band that I can sit and listen to a whole album's worth (or even more than about three songs consecutively) of music in a single sitting.

But hey, these songs rock - Live Wire, Looks That Kill, *******, Red Hot, Knock 'Em Dead Kid, Home Sweet Home, Tonight (We Need A Lover), Girls Girls Girls, Dancing On Glass, All In The Name Of (even with the pedophilia lyrics), Kickstart My Heart, Same Ol' Situation, Don't Go Away Mad

I have to admit, I listened to nothing after Dr Feelgood. 

One of my favorite threads, really enjoyed the bands, the stories, the walk down memory lane. Wish I could be 19 again...

Motley Crue is a good choice for #1. Not my favorite but they embody the era as well as anyone. They did put on fun shows when I saw them. 

Too bad Eddie Vedder is not a fan lol. 

Was never a huge Crue fan outside of Too Fast For Love and Shout At The Devil. Similar to Bon Jovi's "Runaway", I see "Live Wire" being both their first and best song.

In any event, I don't have an issue with them being #1 - they are titans of the genre. And how can one be anything but envious of their '80s lifestyle?

Thanks for the ride, plinko. Was really fun. 

Hey Plinko and everyone that posted in here,

Thanks for the list and memories. I often wondered what it would have been like growing up in an area that had a thriving rock scene. In Colorado back in the 79 to 83 the radio was crap, and we did not have an outlet for finding new rock music. We had three rock stations, one was oldies and the other two seemed to play the same 7-10 bands (Eagles, Led Zep, Rolling Stones, The Who, Heart, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Doobies, Skynyrd) and then switch out five or so for other bands (Queen, Aerosmith, Tull, ELO, Pink Floyd), sometimes you would get lucky and hear Purple, VanHalen, Rush or something new once every 3 or 4 hours. But you would always get the same bands every hour for two hours straight. I even remember a coupe of times hearing the same Eagles song on each of the three stations.  This led me to go find record stores and talk to the people that worked there. Started to gravitate toward heavier music and then start to find Magazines like Hit Parader and Circus. Also, things like going into school with a copy of Motley’s demo and later Live Wire telling friends that “THIS BAND WAS GOING TO BE HUGE.” Possibly the next VH. New record release day was on Tuesdays, and I would make sure I had collected money from my paper route over the weekend so I could stop on my way home from school to look through the releases. Then found a copy of this magazine in ‘83;  Metal Forces and found not only bands but tape trading with people in other countries.

Some of the best concert memories are from this place.

https://history.denverlibrary.org/news/rainbow-music-hall-remembering-legendary-denver-concert-venue

Saw bands fresh out of the bar scene in LA like Motley Crue, Ratt, Loudness ok not LA but a little know band name Poison warmed up for them. Stryper, Metallica, Motorhead, Kix etc. and Red Rocks was also a great place. Like the top 50 part of your list bottom half has bands that would not be in mine but that is why I read these things to see other viewpoints.

100 % this. @rockaction when you gonna do a punk band/album/song thread? I'm actually thinking about doing one of my own, but I fear I would get too busy and it would peter out...
I was going to do a punk 100 song list/countdown by the end of the year. But I feel like I need a better gimmick than 100 songs by 100 bands. I did it that way to avoid clustering at the top and other things like that. Better to have more bands represented, I thought, than to have the concentration be on the order. I've got a spreadsheet already done, it's the write-ups that sort of loom. Once the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and U2 are all done I was thinking about firing it up. It's a tall order, which plinko did so well. If you want to start one, go ahead and feel free. 

I've 170 songs listed by 170 different bands so far in a Word document. How to order it and write it up are yet to come. 

Black Crowes an interesting exclusion...a lot of sytlistic overlap with some of the bands ranked here.  Perhaps not considered glam or MTV era.   
I've always thought of them as more blues rock. Their live album with Jimmy Page is a pretty good example.

Black Crowes an interesting exclusion...a lot of sytlistic overlap with some of the bands ranked here.  Perhaps not considered glam or MTV era.   

Thought about them and I brought them up a couple of times, as I thought when they came out they were pretty similar to some of the rootsier hard rock bands (Tesla/Tora Tora..).  Toured with Junkyard too.  But, like Faith No More.. if they had fallen off the planet after one record, sure that might have put them here.. but they were really something else..

Sad to see it end. I would love to see a separate Hair Band and Metal ranking.

I couldn't see myself figuring out where to draw the line

I've thought about doing this deep dive for a long time but ranking songs like so many people do so well.. and I just hated the idea of having to pick tracks.. picking artists and going as deep as you want to per case, was the way to go, highly recommend!

Two notable omissions off the top of my head - Saxon and Pretty Maids.  Don’t remember seeing Sammy Hagar either, unless he was lumped in with VH.  His solo career  was every bit as big as with VH.

Still catching up on replies

I mentioned in the Neil Schon post that Sammy Hagar would share billing with two acts, but not get his own, though admittedly he'd deserve it.

Decided to use Whiter Shade of Pale for my Sammy track, and leave it at that

Saxon got left behind, just barely, I never remember hearing that much about them (TMS much later maybe), and I never got into what I heard but call me miseducated on that.. 

1. thank you @plinko for putting this together: great list and great trip down memory lane for bands i don't normally have in the rotation! 

2. not gonna dump on the final five rankings: i'd have it a bit different, but all deserve a place in the Top 5. 

3. kinda hoped there would have been a mention of bands like Shark Island, Roxx Gang, and Spread Eagle: i know they relatively late to the game and on the fringes in terms of strong albums and airplay on MTV/AOR. 

4. one glaring omission: Jane's Addiction. maybe they belong in an "alt rock" category, and for sure didn't get much attention on MTV/AOR until much later than a lot of bands ranked. that said, "Nothing's Shocking" rocks as at least as hard as anything Candlebox has thrown down and individually Dave Navarro and Steven Perkins are as well respected as anyone within their respective guitar and drum genres. 

again - thanks! 

Thanks @plinko , what a fun thread. Didn’t know we had so many metal/rock fans floating around this place. 

I know ranking individual songs is a crazy dream, but album rankings? Best Album side? Count me in to the discussion!

as for some names that didnt make your list-

Lizzy Borden- Some great metal songs hidden behind the theatrics. Me Against the World , Give Em The Axe , and their newest release is strong as well- My Midnight Things

Firehouse- Ok, very tail end of the 80s, but came on strong and still get a lot of play. 

EZO- I always thought of these guys like sleaze rock version of Japanese metal, and preferred them over Loudness. Nightcrawler , House of a 1,000 Pleasures

Overkill - While the Big 4 get the headlines, Overkill was right there with Testament and Exodus behind them. Elimination , Hello from the Gutter

And of course, the previously mentioned Zodiac Mindwarp.

great list, great discussion!

Zodiac Mindwarp.
I wonder if Zodiac would see fit to star in my grade-school educational idea set to "Prime Mover" called "Prime Number" 

Think that would go over well, huh? 

Never thought I'd see the band Junkyard ever namechecked in print again, but then this list happened, and here we are. 

The lyrical breakdown in "Blooze" is actually quite something. Guy has lived it. 

Someone should do a 90s rock/grunge ranking.

Hot take, The Breeders are already underrated!
1. Nickelback

ETA:  I guess I got ahead of myself, as they were 2000's.  But they were so damn good, I think they deserve to be ranked in every decade, past or future.

Motley probably deserves to number 1 on the list for breaking through pretty early on.   Shout was huge and had some decent songs.    Too Fast For Love was their best work and it’s not close in my opinion.  

As mentioned earlier, Crue was fun to see live in the 80s but Vince’s voice was shot before 2000.   Being able to bring it live is something the metal bands are normally known for and why Crue would be dropped down on my list.   

Thank you @plinkofor making my favorite thread in years.   This has been a blast. Like many of you, I am participating in the LZ thread some and will be participating in the Beatles thread shortly but I will always be a metal head.   The Beatles will always be the greatest band ever but I need to hear a Kramer axe through a Marshall stack most of the time.   

Night Ranger, another one I left on the other side of the “AOR” line. Could have been a combined entry with Damn Yankees. 

I think there’s too much lumping in of all albums after the Black album. Death Magnetic and Hardwired are both excellent.

My impression of Metallica was that the stoners always wore their shirts and they were too thrashy… then my brother literally sat on me and made me listen to the first 4 songs on Lightning and I was hooked for life.  Yes, they had that Reload - St. Anger stretch that stunk, but their last two albums are back to being Metallica again. 

Something cool to watch are Master of Puppets reaction videos where people hear it for the first time. Lost in Vegas is a cool Youtube pair of hip hop guys who review metal, and their video on MoP was great.

Metallica is #1 with a large gap for me.

Wait, did Danzig miss the cut here?

Users who are viewing this thread