What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 12 selections in startup dynasty league (1 Viewer)

I love how everyone tries to justify their draft, both short term and long term.  I really get a kick out of it. I also don't need approval of my drafted team.  It is what it is, and I don't really think anyone gives a s-.-i-t about my team, just as I don't really care about yours either.  However, it is funny watching others justify their picks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you expect us to say"I dont know why I picked this team, it sucks"

We all have our reasons. I like hearing others even though most of the time I disagree with them. However, those few times when someone does convince me, its worth the 99 times I made fun of someone elses draft.

I love how everyone tries to justify their draft, both short term and long term.  I really get a kick out of it. I also don't need approval of my drafted team.  It is what it is, and I don't really think anyone gives a s-.-i-t about my team, just as I don't really care about yours either.  However, it is funny watching others justify their picks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you expect us to say"I dont know why I picked this team, it sucks"

We all have our reasons. I like hearing others even though most of the time I disagree with them. However, those few times when someone does convince me, its worth the 99 times I made fun of someone elses draft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess that's true. Like one poster said, I did justify my Bush pick, because I also had 1.12 and 2.01. I guess what I should have said, was that I'm not asking for an evaluation of my team, but more the value of the picks where they are taken. Anyway, good drafting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:confused: I recall you "justifying" your reggie bush selection?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is funny.......My team so far -

1.05 Reggie Bush, NO RB

1.12 Johnson, Chad CIN WR

2.04 Holt, Torry STL WR

3.06 Benson, Cedric CHI RB

6.01 Heap, Todd BAL TE

7.10 Bulger, Marc STL QB

8.10 Dayne, Ron DEN RB

9.12 Plummer, Jake DEN QB

10.1 Moats, Ryan PHI RB

Isn't that YOUR team Johnny U???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why Jeff, I believe it is.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So how are you any different than the people your trying to make fun of then??

Nevermind, you just answered my question above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roster update--

QB  Eli Manning  5.02

Phillip Rivers 10.11

Matt Schaub  13.02

Steve McNair  16.11

RB    LT  1.02

DDavis  2.11

D Williams  3.02

Turner  7.02

Jerious Norwood 12.11

Ced Houston 14.11

Betts  17.02

WR  Plaxico Burress  4.11

Reggie Brown  6.11

Koren Robinson  9.02

Joey Galloway  11.02

TE    Heath Miller  8.11

Dominique Byrd  15.02

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Solid squad with lots of upsideI like your young WRs, love KRob. You are deep at RB. I dont like the Betts pick, more on that another time :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Jason! I like my team so far. As far as the Betts pick, there wasn't another RB that I liked anymore than him at that point. Do you have some inside info?

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - 5.03

QB - Alex Smith - 14.06

RB - Reggie Bush - 1.03

RB - LenDale White - 6.01

WR - Larry Fitzgerald - 1.09

WR - Laveranues Coles - 7.03

WR - Antonio Bryant - 7.09

WR - Matt Jones - 8.10

WR - Chad Jackson - 9.03

WR - Eddie Kennison - 11.03

WR - Santonio Holmes - 11.09

TE - Jeremy Shockey - 5.12

TE - Ben Troupe - 10.10

TE - Marcedes Lewis - 12.10

Where do I start? Big Ben in the 5th is not a good pick, he isnt a great FF QB, he is on a run first offense, if he was your backup thats OK, but as your #1 QB and in the 5th round, are you kidding me?

Bush and White as your only RBs, your screwed, and Bush at 1.5 is another bad pick IMO, just hasnt proven anything to warrant being picked over Alexander and Portis among others.

All you have at WR is Fitz, he is a stud and will be for years, but no way I want to have to rely on Coles or Kennison or Bryant on a consitent basis.

Your TEs are solid though.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As someone that took Big Ben at 6.09 I figure I'll defend the pick, even if it was a little early for both of us. Yes, Ben is in a run first offense, but it's only been his 1st two years in the league and the Steelers pass attempts have been dead last in the league. I suppose that could continue the rest of his career, but I think it's more likely that as Ben matures as a QB that the Steelers will pass a little more. They'll never be the Rams but I think Ben's numbers his first two years are the worst he'll have and he has been the #21 and #19. Add in the fact that he's so young and already extremely proven, I think he's one of the safest QB picks you can make in a dynasty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See, I disagree. Pittsburgh has always been a run first offense, and no matter how good Ben gets, Cowher likes to run it. Ben is a great backup, but the Pittsburgh offnse will hold him down, he will never be more than a top 15 FF QB.

I actually enjoy talking about the teams; I find it more enjoyable than taking time to badger others to hurry up and make a pick.

I actually enjoy talking about the teams; I find it more enjoyable than taking time to badger others to hurry up and make a pick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't say a word, and the last guy even let the timer expire. Of course I did post to the other conference, who are complaining their draft has slowed down, that at least they are in the 20th rd and not the 10th ;)

Still early, but I like how my trades have put me in good positions.

QB:

5.05  McNabb, Donovan PHI QB

9.05    Brees, Drew NO QB

RB:

1.08  Jordan, Lamont OAK RB

3.08  Droughns, Reuben CLE RB

3.10  Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

9.02    Taylor, Fred JAX RB

WR:

3.09  Wayne, Reggie IND WR

6.07  Brown, Reggie PHI WR

7.06  Mason, Derrick BAL WR

7.08  Stallworth, Donte' NOS WR

TE:

3.01  Gates, Antonio SDC TE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do like this team. Certainly assembled to contend in year 1. Although not as youthful as I wold prefer, I don't see many players' values dropping in the next two years; with the exception of the backups like Fred Taylor and Derrick Mason.

Roster update--

QB   Eli Manning   5.02

Phillip Rivers 10.11

Matt Schaub  13.02

Steve McNair  16.11

RB    LT   1.02

DDavis  2.11

D Williams  3.02

Turner   7.02

Jerious Norwood 12.11

Ced Houston 14.11

Betts  17.02

WR   Plaxico Burress  4.11

Reggie Brown   6.11

Koren Robinson  9.02

Joey Galloway  11.02

TE    Heath Miller   8.11

Dominique Byrd   15.02

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Solid squad with lots of upsideI like your young WRs, love KRob. You are deep at RB. I dont like the Betts pick, more on that another time :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Jason! I like my team so far. As far as the Betts pick, there wasn't another RB that I liked anymore than him at that point. Do you have some inside info?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No inside info, simply my strategy for picks like that one where "there wasnt another RB that I liked anymore than him". If thats true, why take him?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree.I always found offseason Shark Pool threads with dynasty drafts and commentaries midly entertaining and highly educational. Just seeing the picks and having them available for ADP numbers is decent but I enjoy reading the thought process behind specific picks or strategies. I have always felt having that information made available to me here was a significant competitive edge when it came time to play in my local, high stakes league.

Considering those two points, I have been of the opinion that people who post their teams in the Shark Pool during a life draft are not seeking validation but opening themselves up to be critiqued; share information and potentially help others learn from their mistakes or vice versa. For example, look at EBF and his draft. Agree or disagree he has walked people through his decision making process and the reasons why he has charted that particular course of action. That's not justification for support. It is a valuable learning tool for the casual reader.

Let's face it. This is a TOUGH crowd between January and July so I can appreciate people willing to put themselves front and center for criticism. It is easy to spot when someone is glad handing for a compliment and I just do not think this is the case with this thread, the authors or the ongoing dialogue.

Considering those two points, I have been of the opinion that people who post their teams in the Shark Pool during a life draft are not seeking validation but opening themselves up to be critiqued; share information and potentially help others learn from their mistakes or vice versa.  For example, look at EBF and his draft.  Agree or disagree he has walked people through his decision making process and the reasons why he has charted that particular course of action.  That's not justification for support.  It is a valuable learning tool for the casual reader.   

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is well articulated. For others (and myself), these threads are the foundation of an August cheatsheet. I don't mind putting myself out there and opening myself up to critism. However, I could put a little more meat behind my posts.

Roster update--

QB  Eli Manning  5.02

Phillip Rivers 10.11

Matt Schaub  13.02

Steve McNair  16.11

RB    LT  1.02

DDavis  2.11

D Williams  3.02

Turner  7.02

Jerious Norwood 12.11

Ced Houston 14.11

Betts  17.02

WR  Plaxico Burress  4.11

Reggie Brown  6.11

Koren Robinson  9.02

Joey Galloway  11.02

TE    Heath Miller  8.11

Dominique Byrd  15.02

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No inside info, simply my strategy for picks like that one where "there wasnt another RB that I liked anymore than him". If thats true, why take him?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see your point, but I was not taking a RB just to take one. I already had 4 QB's at that point and I did not like any of the WRs enough to justify taking them at that pick.

UPDATED ROSTER:

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - 5.03

QB - Alex Smith - 14.06

QB - Aaron Rodgers - 17.03

RB - Reggie Bush - 1.03

RB - LenDale White - 6.01

RB - Cedric Cobbs - 18.10

RB - Justin Fargas - 19.03

WR - Larry Fitzgerald - 1.09

WR - Laveranues Coles - 7.03

WR - Antonio Bryant - 7.09

WR - Matt Jones - 8.10

WR - Chad Jackson - 9.03

WR - Eddie Kennison - 11.03

WR - Santonio Holmes - 11.09

WR - Reggie Williams - 16.06

WR - Derek Hagan - 16.10

WR - Brad Smith - 20.10

TE - Jeremy Shockey - 5.12

TE - Ben Troupe - 10.10

TE - Marcedes Lewis - 12.10

I'm hoping to strike gold with some of my later picks. I felt like Aaron Rodgers offered good value as a first round pick available in the 17th round. He should get a shot once Favre retires.

I liked Reggie Williams a lot coming out of college. He's had a disappointing career so far, but he just turned 23 years old and he has plenty of time to live up to his billing. Considering the low cost, I like the value. I also like having him paired with Matt Jones. It gives me a good shot at Jacksonville's WR1 of the future.

I have Derek Hagan rated as the #3 rookie WR in this class. I think he can be another Muhsin Muhammad. He's not a sure thing, but a good talent for the price.

I've always liked Justin Fargas. He and William Green were my top two RB sleepers going into this draft. I missed out on Green, but I'm glad to land Fargas so late. I think he could earn some PT somewhere down the road. \

Cobbs was a total gamble. He probably won't ever do anything, but offers home run potential if he can work his way into the Denver rotation.

Brad Smith was a shot in the dark. He has good measurables and was an impact player as a college QB. Maybe he can be another Randle El or Ward.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my squad. I've been getting a lot of expected flak for going so young, but I really feel like I've got a nice collection of talent. My main regret is failing to address the backup QB situation. I had initially hoped to land the Leinart/Warner combo, but both of those guys went earlier than where I was prepared to take them.

Small update...

QB

A. Brooks 10.11

V. Young 10.06

RB

R. Johnson 2.08

J. Lewis 3.07

Maroney 2.12

WR

Moss 3.03

L. Coles 7.09

Mark Clayton 5.10

Matt Jones 7.07

TE

Witten 7.05

I have two more picks coming in 6 and 10 slots, respectively.

Team is pretty random and I am still frustrated by not being able to get a couple of my 7th rounders up into the 6th, as it caused me to miss on Hasselbeck, R. Brown and Crumpler. (Good picks to those owners)

I initially owned the 1.05 for those following along. Given the Bush fever, I opted to trade out and down. My target pick for 1.05 was C. Williams but the offer was too much to pass up. Bush Fever...Catch It! Bush Fever can be beneficial in your FF drafts this year, if you leverage it correctly, but be sure it is Bush Fever of a FF variety that you are catching versus something communicable that can be picked up in the Philippines that penicillin can't help you shake, if you know what I mean. That trade might be more risk than some would want to assume, which was dropping out of the first and into the second but I think it worked out well for each owner.

The extra picks over the 3rd, 5th and additional 2007 first rounder allowed me to build a team with a little more depth and gave me some early flexibility to take some younger players (Maroney; Clayton; Jones) and still build a relatively competitive team, opinion. R. Johnson, Lewis, Moss and Brooks are still very, very young players. I might not finish first but I should be solid for this year and the next 2-3 years. More importantly, the constant pairing of two picks closely together over odd numbered rounds has made my draft agile enough that I have been able to trade up when necessary, which excludes the 6th round (you guys really should have taken those trades... :hot: ...just kidding), or sit and wait, which is what I did for Young and Brooks.

That QB pairing is not for the weak at heart and it is an extremely massive risk-reward scenario. Despite my ties to OU I drafted Young at the request and on the advice of my son, 6. He said it was the right call. For those picking the gnat #### out of the pepper that is Young's career and mechanics be prepared for a solid stint in the NFL. He might not end up being the best FF QB but he will win the Titans many, many, many games. This is coming from a die hard Sooner. He was not the player I wanted to draft but I had to honor the request.

Remeber all the predictions surrounding Collins in the Raiders offense last year? Where he failed Brooks will succeed. Moss and Brooks, opinion, came cheap and present great value propositions this season. The football will be thrown early and often from #2 to #18 in Oakland. If the NFL had one player that needed a change of scenery, it was Brooks. Brooks is closer to the mold of the broken down QB the Raiders have a history of fixing up. This debate of Brooks and Moss' value will be hotly debated all summer but I believe.

If news of the Ravens getting McNair is true, my team is in much better shape. For those reading along GO TRADE FOR OR DRAFT M. CLAYTON. He not Mason is the WR you are going to want especially in dynasty formats. The guy is the best WR from last year's class. Trust me on this one. Over 5 years that might be the first Shark Pool pimping and prediction I have ever made of a player but that kid can flat out play. Pick up J. Lewis on the cheap too.

Speaking of J. Lewis, I had a hard time passing on K. Jones (Lions apologist) and J. Jones but I think Lewis is a decent play this season. I wanted no part of burning an early pick on MBIII nor did I want to make the homer move with Jones. Calhoun being drafted in the 3rd round was not just a case of BPA, opinion, considering other glaring team needs the Lions had. Ultimately, though, I think the Ravens are going to have a solid offense this year and Lewis puts up decent numbers.

None of my RB catch passes, which is a problem in this format, but they play on teams that will grind the football; are located in areas with many cold weather games and should be on what I feel are productive offenses over the next couple of seasons. Johnson is not flashy but solid and the potential absence of Palmer leads me to believe he might get leaned on a little more early in the season. I never intended to draft Perry. The long-term commitment to Johnson and development of Lewis' defensive identify paired with Perry's injury problems have me thinking Johnson is very safe on that football team for a couple more seasons.

As far as Maroney is concerned, I think he is playing sooner than later. Dillon started to break down last year. Yes, I read the Boston Globe's heart warming, day after draft story of Dillon being in great shape. Experience tells me that story was probably started by Dillon's agent. Dillon's last season in Cincy leads me to believe he might not respond so well to Maroney's presence.

Remember when Dillon got hurt that year against the Raiders (probably game 2-3)? Remember how R. Johnson came from the bench and captured the job? Remember Dillon pitching a fit and eventually getting benched? Despite the greatness of the Pats coaching staff even they cannot make an old dog learn new tricks. First sign of a twisted ankle or hang nail coupled with a decent showing by Maroney expect Dillon to be, well, Dillon. Conversely, Maroney better damn well learn how to pass protect and read blitzes or he will not be on the field. He's a smart kid and was a gift to the Patriots. Personally, I think he sees work immediately and probably owns the job by week 10.

Ok, that was a bunch. Had some time, as rain is pounding south Texas and all little league activites were canceled.

I just added Wali Lundy at 21.03. He's probably my favorite sleeper among this year's rookie RBs. Gary Kubiak handpicked him and has said that he's a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme. I've never believed in Domanick Davis and he's never been durable, so I could have a nice player on my hands if I catch a few breaks.

New Jersey Camaros - Draft Overview.

Ojbective...Being this was my first dynasty league, I wanted to concentrate on acquiring players who could help me win in the first year and should be at their peak or on the verge of hitting their peak. I was not going to take any one-year filler guys in the first 10 rounds (Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis, etc...)

Pick 1 I drew pick 1.03 which was a little high for me, as I prefer to pick later in the first round and earlier in the 2nd round. The running back I wanted was Cadillac Williams, but I would be willing to settle for Ronnie Brown or Stephen Jackson in the first, so I looked to trade down.

Trade 1 - I gave up picks 1.03, 2.10 and 5.03 for picks 1.06, 2.05 and 4.05 (with wannabee). This allowed me to move down in the first and get my back and move up in the 2nd and get one of the wide receivers I would hope would fall. Moving up pick 5.03 to 4.05 was just a bonus.

When it came down to pick at 1.06, Cadillac was still there but Ricky Williams had been suspended for the year (plus for Ronnie). However, I have a lot of faith in the Gruden offense, Gruden's love for Cadillac and the emphasis on offensive linemen in the draft (By the Bucs). So Cadillac was the pick at 1.06.

Pick 2 I had moved up from 2.10 to 2.05 in hopes of grabbing Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or even Torry Holt (worse case scenario). However, all three of these wide receivers were gone (as well as Steve Smith); Torry Holt going 1 pick ahead of me to JohnnyU.

Peyton Manning was still there and I felt he should have gone at the corner. He was a little older than I wanted and the 2nd round was much earlier than my early projections for a quarterback. However, I felt Peyton brought to much value for me to pass on, Peyton Manning went at 2.05.

Pick 3 3.03 was still my orginal pick and the two guys I wanted were Marvin Harrison and LenDale White. I felt this was a little early and actually wanted to try and make sure I got both of them.

Trade 2 - I made my second trade (another trade down). I gave up picks 3.03, 4.05, 6.10 and 8.10 to acquired 3.05, 4.01, 6.08 and 8.08 from Student Bodies (WhoDat). I basically dropped down two spots and moved up 5 spots from my 4.05 pick, which was originally my 5.03 pick I upgraded in trade 1. I also pushed to move up two spots at 6.10 and 8.10 so I could move ahead of division rival Steel Insane in those respective rounds.

So at 3.05 I took Marvin Harrison. I know Marvin is slightly older than Moss, but Harrison takes such good care of his body and a real student of the game. I expect him to have an extended career much like Rice and with him and Peyton tied to long term deals, I think Harrison should be a solid contributor for at least 5 years.

Pick 4 Pick 4.01 was technically my 5.03 pick I kept moving up with and was starting to worry LenDale might be scooped up. He was not and I selected LenDale White at 4.01. I think LenDale has a great shot to open the season as a starter, if not he will be starting by week 6 and very likely to be a blue-chip back for the next 6 to 8 years.

Pick 5 Pick 4.10 was one of my orginal picks and was really hoping Javon Walker would drop. Not to be as Peens scooped him at 4.08. I still felt pretty good about the available wide receivers and since I took Harrison in round 3, I felt I needed a wide receiver who was significantly younger. Even though Walker was gone, I felt good about Plaxico Buress being around at 4.10 and made him my selection.

Pick 6 was at 6.08 I had two young running backs and wanted to add a third. I wanted a guy who had a lot of potential and was still young. However, Reggie Brown was on the board yet and I really wanted him as well. Jeff Pasquino made my decision easy with selecting Reggie Brown at 6.07. So my auto-selection was Tatum Bell at 6.08.

cI was kicking around the likes of Marion Barber III and Ahman Green to get some more running backs. But the more I thought about Ahman Green, I didn't like his long term future. At best, I think he returns to a RBBC with his injury as Green Bay attempts to keep him healthy. I also liked Marion Barber III but thought he might be a reach at this point and I still wanted guys who had about 4 years experience in the league and still had a lot of potential.

Koren Robinson was the pick at 7.03. Koren missed mini-camp and training camp last year and had to learn the Vikings' offense on the fly after the regular season started. Being the defacto #1 guy in Minnesota, in an offense he is familar with and a very talented former first round pick I think the sky is the limit for Koren for some time in the league.

Pick 8 - This was my second skip-over-Steel pick from my 2nd trade and I was really glad a did so. I wasn't sure where Steel stood in regards to the TJ Ducket-Pittsburgh speculation but I believed Steel was eye-balling Duckett. I had fears that somebody would jump all over TJ.

I took TJ Duckett at 8.08. People might be down on him but this pick was for the 2007 season. It seems a lot of teams want to trade for this kid (another former first round pick) and his contract is up in 8 months. I suspect TJ will be the hottest free agent (fantasy football wise) next year and I look forward to seeing where he signs. I suspect he will sign with the club that gives him the best shot to be the #1 guy and get 300 carries in 2007.

Pick 9 My initial reaction was to draft Dallas Clark. Another young tightend who is proving he can get the job done in the NFL and it helps that he has Peyton throwing the ball to him. However, I started to wonder if Dallas could slip to the 10th or 11th round where I could also take him. In the end, I felt Dallas Clark would fall.

So at pick 9.03 I took Jay Cutler. Cutler has all the physical tools to be a stud and being in Shanahan's offense is going to be a huge plus. Denver historically runs the ball well which has allowed the likes of Jake Plummer and Brian Griese to put up quality fantasy football numbers. Plus I have Peyton holding down the job for the next 8 years so I can afford to wait on Cutler.

Pick 10 at 10.08 was Dallas Clark dropped so I scooped him up. Felt really good about Dallas falling, allowing me to add Cutler a round earlier.

Pick 11...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Roster -

QBs

Peyton Manning (age 29)

Jay Cutler (rookie)

RBs

Cadillac (age 24)

LenDale White (rookie)

Tatum Bell (age 25)

TJ Duckett (age 25)

WRs

Marvin Harrison (age 33)

Plaxico Buress (age 28)

Koren Robinson (age 26)

TEs

Dallas Clark (age 27)

Edited to add ages...I might not be as young as I thought outside of the running back positions.

Blue Onion-nice write up on your team. It's always nice to know what you were thinking when you made the decision to draft these guys. :thumbup:

Still early, but I like how my trades have put me in good positions.

QB:

5.05  McNabb, Donovan PHI QB

9.05  Brees, Drew NO QB

RB:

1.08  Jordan, Lamont OAK RB

3.08  Droughns, Reuben CLE RB

3.10  Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

9.02  Taylor, Fred JAX RB

10.12  Drew, Maurice JAX RB

WR:

3.09  Wayne, Reggie IND WR

6.07  Brown, Reggie PHI WR

7.06  Mason, Derrick BAL WR

7.08  Stallworth, Donte' NOS WR

TE:

3.01  Gates, Antonio SDC TE

11.08  Hilton, Zach NOS TE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do like this team. Certainly assembled to contend in year 1. Although not as youthful as I wold prefer, I don't see many players' values dropping in the next two years; with the exception of the backups like Fred Taylor and Derrick Mason.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks.Just added some youth - coupled Maurice Drew to back up Fred Taylor and provide another youth movement.

Also just added a possible SOD - Zach Hilton - at TE2.

Note - I believe every player is on the right side of 32, and only McNabb and Taylor turn 30 this year. Mason is 31.

New Jersey Camaros - Draft Overview.

Pick 6 was at 6.08 I had two young running backs and wanted to add a third.  I wanted a guy who had a lot of potential and was still young.  However, Reggie Brown was on the board yet and I really wanted him as well.  Jeff Pasquino made my decision easy with selecting Reggie Brown at 6.07.  So my auto-selection was Tatum Bell at 6.08.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow - that was close.

QB:

5.04 Tom Brady

13.04 Mark Brunell

16.07 Alex Smith

16.09 Aaron Rodgers

26.09 Omar Jacobs

RB:

1.02 Larry Johnson

2.11 Tiki Barber

3.04 Fast Willie Parker

10.09 Greg Jones

14.09 Eric Shelton

19.08 Cedric Humes

20.09 De'Arrius Howard

WR:

4.02 Roy Williams

5.02 Santana Moss

9.04 David Givens

11.04 Rod Smith

13.04 Eric Moulds

17.04 Travis Taylor

18.09 Amani Toomer

25.04 Patrick Crayton

TE:

8.09 LJ Smith

10.02 Heath Miller

DEF:

15.04 Pittsburgh Steelers :towelwave:

21.08 Atlanta Falcons

PK

23.04 Shayne Graham

24.09 Jason Elam

Edited for updates.

After 20 rounds

1.05 Reggie Bush, NO RB

2.04 Holt, Torry STL WR

6.01 Heap, Todd BAL TE

7.10 Bulger, Marc STL QB

8.10 Dayne, Ron DEN RB

10.01 Moats, Ryan PHI RB

11.12 Glenn, Terry DAL WR

12.01 Bears, Chicago CHI Def

13.12 Vinatieri, Adam IND PK

14.01 Lloyd, Brandon WAS WR

15.12 Davenport, Najeh GBP RB

16.01 Rackers, Neil ARI PK

17.12 Leonard Pope ARI TE

18.01 McNair, Steve TEN QB

19.12 Peterson, Adrian CHI RB

20.01 Demetrius Williams, WR, Bal

After 12 rounds

1.05 Reggie Bush, NO RB

2.04 Holt, Torry STL WR

6.01 Heap, Todd BAL TE

7.10 Bulger, Marc STL QB

8.10 Dayne, Ron DEN RB

10.01 Moats, Ryan PHI RB

11.11 Glenn, Terry DAL WR

12.01 Bears, Chicago CHI Def

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice to see you still have no clue how to draft. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Justing kidding. Nice team. :thumbup:

QB

A. Brooks 10.11

V. Young 10.06

C. Simms 13.05

RB

R. Johnson 2.08

Dillon via trade

Dunn via trade

Maroney 2.12

Norwood 11.09

WR

Moss 3.03

L. Coles 7.09

Mark Clayton 5.10

Matt Jones 7.07

TE

Witten 7.05

Troupe 11.05

Interesting trade presented itself that saw me ship J. Lewis and a 13th round pick away for Dillon and Dunn. The trade makes an immediate short-term and potential long-term impact on the team. Most of that rests with your opinions of Lewis and mine were fairly high but knotting up the running games for the Falcons and Patriots was too much to pass up.

Of course, I might have buyer's remorse come September but I like it right now. For some reason I ended up with not one but two Longhorns at QB. It must be an act of karma or bad mojo. Simms is a nice insurance policy that I needed at the QB position.

Updated through round 15:

QB4.11 - Carson Palmer6.09 - Ben Roethlisberger9.05 - Philip RiversRB1.09 - Steven Jackson4.07 - Thomas Jones4.09 - Deuce McAllister9.01 - Chris Brown12.08 - Cedric Houston13.01 - Mewelde Moore19.01 - Travis Henry21.01 - William GreenWR5.01 - Lee Evans8.11 - Antonio Bryant8.12 - Troy Williamson14.11 - Isaac Bruce14.12 - Vincent Jackson16.12 - Brandon Marshall ®17.01 - Ashley Lelie18.12 - Reggie Williams20.12 - Brandon Stokely22.12 - Mike Hass ®TE4.12 - Jeremy ShockeyD15.01 - Carolina Panthers23.01 - Minnesota Vikings+5 extra 2007 1st round picks.

Updated through round 15:

QB

4.11 - Carson Palmer

6.09 - Ben Roethlisberger

9.05 - Philip Rivers

RB

1.09 - Steven Jackson

4.07 - Thomas Jones

4.09 - Deuce McAllister

9.01 - Chris Brown

12.08 - Cedric Houston

13.01 - Mewelde Moore

WR

5.01 - Lee Evans

8.11 - Antonio Bryant

8.12 - Troy Williamson

14.11 - Isaac Bruce

14.12 - Vincent Jackson

TE

4.12 - Jeremy Shockey

D

15.01 - Carolina Panthers

+5 extra 2007 1st round picks.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW!!

Bledsoe, Drew DAL QB

Carr, David HOU QB

Frye, Charlie CLE QB

James, Edgerrin ARI RB

Jones, Kevin DET RB

Addai, Joseph Indy RB

Gore, Frank SFO RB

Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB

Owens, Terrell DAL WR

Galloway, Joey TBB WR

Clayton, Michael TBB WR

Kennison, Eddie KCC WR

Crumpler, Alge ATL TE

Winslow, Kellen CLE TE

Feely, Jay NYG PK

Giants, New York NYG Def

Analysis on my draft so far which will be by position:

[SIZE=16pt]QB[/SIZE]

I feel like I have 3 very different QB's. The first QB I drafted was Frye as my QB of the future. Doing this the day before Dilfer was traded makes me feel much better about it. Bledsoe is the aging vet but with TO, Glenn, and Witten to throw to I feel he has another top 5 finish in him this year and possibly next should TO stay on the field. He's the guy to help me win now. Carr is just consistent. And I think he will be even more so this year with the additions of some O-Line help, Moulds, and Putzier.

[SIZE=16pt]RB[/SIZE]

Picking 10th and seeing hometown boy Stephen Jackson go at 1.9 nearly broke my heart. Grabbed Edge. Sure he's on the Cards now but Warner knows how to use a pass catching RB. And he's only 27. I like the potential of Kevin Jones in the Martz offense. Not saying he's going to be the Faulk of 4 years ago, but I like his potential. And Addai looks like a shoe in at RB in Indy once he gets his blocking down. Frank Gore was picked simply because Norv Turner being the OC in SF now. He will pound the ball. Brandon Jacobs is a young guy playing behind an aging vet. As long as Tiki stays healthy Jacobs is just the goal line guy. But with the Giants not taking a RB in the draft I think that Jacobs might be given a shot to play half back should Tiki go down.

[SIZE=16pt]WR[/SIZE]

TO in the 2nd is a potential nightmare. If he pulls the same crap in 2006 that he did in 2005 I'm done. I think he has a monster year this year. After that who knows. I've always been a Michael Clayton fan and was highly disappointed when he did jack squat last year but in his place Galloway tore it up. I could very easily be starting both of these guys every week because they put up good numbers at the WR position in TB. Kennison is just solid. Never specactular but a great fill in guy for bye weeks.

[SIZE=16pt]TE[/SIZE]

Was giddy to get Crumpler at 6.10. With a solid guy like Crumpler on the squad I could take a flyer on Winslow. He's an idiot but he's hella talented.

[SIZE=16pt]FK[/SIZE]

Who cares? It's a friggin kicker.

[SIZE=16pt]D/ST[/SIZE]

The Giants were pretty strong last year and should only get stronger as the offense improves and the addition of Arrington really helps.

I guess I did a mix of youth (Addai, Winslow, Clayton, KJones, Jacobs, Frye, Carr) and high performing vets (Bledsoe, TO, Crumpler, Galloway) so I can compete this year as well as build a foundation for the future....

I have a couple more guys I want, after that I'm just going with whatever looks interesting to me.....

With one pick left to go:

QB

4.11 - Carson Palmer

6.09 - Ben Roethlisberger

9.05 - Philip Rivers

RB

1.09 - Steven Jackson

4.07 - Thomas Jones

4.09 - Deuce McAllister

9.01 - Chris Brown

12.08 - Cedric Houston

13.01 - Mewelde Moore

19.01 - Travis Henry

21.01 - William Green

WR

5.01 - Lee Evans

8.11 - Antonio Bryant

8.12 - Troy Williamson

14.11 - Isaac Bruce

14.12 - Vincent Jackson

16.12 - Brandon Marshall ®

17.01 - Ashley Lelie

18.12 - Reggie Williams

20.12 - Brandon Stokely

22.12 - Mike Hass ®

TE

4.12 - Jeremy Shockey

D

15.01 - Carolina Panthers

23.01 - Minnesota Vikings

+5 extra 2007 1st round picks.

QB

A. Brooks 10.11

V. Young 10.06

C. Simms 13.05

RB

R. Johnson 2.08

Dillon via trade

Dunn via trade

Maroney 2.12

Norwood 11.09

Blaylock 18.08

PJ Daniels 19.05

WR

Moss 3.03

L. Coles 7.09

Mark Clayton 5.10

Matt Jones 7.07

M. Bradley 15.05

E. Parker 16.08

B. Jones 20.08

C. Roby 21.05

Gaffney 22.08

TE

Witten 7.05

Troupe 11.05

D

Cowboys 14.08

Dolphins 17.05

K

Brown 23.05

Kasay 24.08

My Breakdown -

QB:

5.04 Tom Brady

13.04 Mark Brunell

16.07 Alex Smith

16.09 Aaron Rodgers

26.09 Omar Jacobs

Brady was my #1. Getting him in the 5th was a great deal. Although Brunell was not my 1st choice for a backup, servicable. I would like to see Alex Smith step his game enough this year to be a back-up to Brady.

I like Rodgers - skilled, lot of heart, and Favre will retire (when?). Jacobs has great skills, but needs polish. He's in the right place for that.

RB:

1.02 Larry Johnson

2.11 Tiki Barber

3.04 Fast Willie Parker

10.09 Greg Jones

14.09 Eric Shelton

19.08 Cedric Humes

20.09 De'Arrius Howard

This league starts 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE and 3 flex (RB, WR, or TE). While others may disagree, I think if you can field 3 or 4 RBS every week, your team is a force to reckon with.

LJ, Tiki, & FWP should be point makers every week. Fragile Freddy sounds great in May, but I think by October it will be the Greg Jones show.

I gave up on Shelton too soon last year. a boom or bust pick? Yes, but Carolina really likes the bruiser back. He might still step up & replace Stephen Davis.

Humes & Howard are good prospects in great situations.

WR:

4.02 Roy Williams

5.02 Santana Moss

9.04 David Givens

11.04 Rod Smith

13.04 Eric Moulds

17.04 Travis Taylor

18.09 Amani Toomer

25.04 Patrick Crayton

Even though I think starting 3 RBs is the way to go, I wanted the flexibility to use 3-4 WRs.

Roy & Santana should be every week point producers. Givens is going to challenge for WR1 in TEN.

Rod just keeps on producing. Moulds? Good situation. Taylor & Toomer should be solid WR3. Crayton has the talent & Glenn isn't getting any younger (neither is TO).

TE:

8.09 LJ Smith

10.02 Heath Miller

LJ is the consistent hands for Philly this year. Miller is improving and seems to be the red zone go-to guy.

DEF:

21.08 Atlanta Falcons

C'mon, has to take the Steeler D! Falcons spent big bucks on defense. Great backup.

PK

23.04 Shayne Graham

24.09 Jason Elam

Good dependable kickers. nuff said.

Overall, a very good draft for me. QB might be a little on the light side, but other than that, a very good draft indeed.

:thumbup: JUST WIN BABY!

good write up, steel. I thought that, as the draft unfolded, you had some very nice breks. Getting Tiki at 2.11 to pair with LJ was nice. Also, I could not believe Santana fell that far to you in a ppr league. I think the league will be very competitive.

My Breakdown -

QB:

5.04 Tom Brady

13.04 Mark Brunell

16.07 Alex Smith

16.09 Aaron Rodgers

26.09 Omar Jacobs

Brady was my #1. Getting him in the 5th was a great deal. Although Brunell was not my 1st choice for a backup, servicable. I would like to see Alex Smith step his game enough this year to be a back-up to Brady.

I like Rodgers - skilled, lot of heart, and Favre will retire (when?). Jacobs has great skills, but needs polish. He's in the right place for that.

RB:

1.02 Larry Johnson

2.11 Tiki Barber

3.04 Fast Willie Parker

10.09 Greg Jones

14.09 Eric Shelton

19.08 Cedric Humes

20.09 De'Arrius Howard

This league starts 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE and 3 flex (RB, WR, or TE). While others may disagree, I think if you can field 3 or 4 RBS every week, your team is a force to reckon with.

LJ, Tiki, & FWP should be point makers every week. Fragile Freddy sounds great in May, but I think by October it will be the Greg Jones show.

I gave up on Shelton too soon last year. a boom or bust pick? Yes, but Carolina really likes the bruiser back. He might still step up & replace Stephen Davis.

Humes & Howard are good prospects in great situations.

WR:

4.02 Roy Williams

5.02 Santana Moss

9.04 David Givens

11.04 Rod Smith

13.04 Eric Moulds

17.04 Travis Taylor

18.09 Amani Toomer

25.04 Patrick Crayton

Even though I think starting 3 RBs is the way to go, I wanted the flexibility to use 3-4 WRs.

Roy & Santana should be every week point producers. Givens is going to challenge for WR1 in TEN.

Rod just keeps on producing. Moulds? Good situation. Taylor & Toomer should be solid WR3. Crayton has the talent & Glenn isn't getting any younger (neither is TO).

TE:

8.09 LJ Smith

10.02 Heath Miller

LJ is the consistent hands for Philly this year. Miller is improving and seems to be the red zone go-to guy.

DEF:

21.08 Atlanta Falcons

C'mon, has to take the Steeler D! Falcons spent big bucks on defense. Great backup.

PK

23.04 Shayne Graham

24.09 Jason Elam

Good dependable kickers. nuff said.

Overall, a very good draft for me. QB might be a little on the light side, but other than that, a very good draft indeed.

:thumbup: JUST WIN BABY!
You've got a team built to win now and not bad for the future if FWP continues to be the starter.

Bucketheads

QB's – Grade B-

Manning and Rivers are two very solid QB prospects. It probably isnt fair to call them prospects (especially Eli), but since they simply dont have a lot of years in the NFL to judge their performance, I will. Both players are in excellent situations to pass for good yards. I dont know if either will ever be elite passers, but both should easily be in the top third if not top quarter. Adding McNair as a 1-2 year filler is nice and was gotten in the late 16th round. Schaub is an interesting long term prospect, but he did have his chance w Vick out 1 season and I dont think any of us were overly impressed. I think early 13 is a little high for him considering the players passed on: Colbert, Lloyd, Campbell and Houston. I would have liked any of them over Matt by a lot (Houston was drafted by Bucketheads 19 picks later).

RB's – Grade C-

LT2 and DD are studs in this league, I would love to have either given the opportunity. Though considering the possible starting requirements of 4 RBs, I dont like whats next. 99% of the time I hate rookie RBs. Im not here to argue it, simply my opinion. While I can see picking Williams this high, passing on players like KJ, JJ, FWP, Reuben, even Jamal, Deuce and Thomas should not be passed on to do it. Dillon most likely has 2 years left, where does that leave DW? Also, next pick is in 21 picks, lots of good players off the board during that time.

As I see it, after the RB2 DD, it all drops off. While I do like Turner over the next 3 seasons, it’s a while away. Getting the LT2 handcuff is critical as Turner is simply good enough to perform as a RB1. There are some good prospects in there, but I don’t like the Fason, Betts and Arrington picks. I don’t see these players ever amounting to anything. I think drafting complete upside players is a better long term strategy than taking players that don’t have the talent to be #1’s and chances wont have the opportunity to be #1’s.

WR’s – Grade C+

I love Plaxico. However, I don’t like the idea of depending on him as a WR1. I think Plax’s value is as a WR2. Upside to be #1, but we aren’t completely sold on it yet. Reggie Brown at 71 is a solid pick but like Plax as a #1, his value is as a WR3/4. Brown could put up WR2 numbers, but at this point it is more of a reach than true value. I love the KRob pick. I wanted KRob bad and getting him in the 9th in a dynasty draft is perfect. KRob as a WR3 is perfect as his upside is WR2 and possibly WR1. Im not a Galloway fan, but getting him in at 122 is perfect for this league. He is excellent filler with upside at this point.

I don’t like the WR prospects, but if bucketheads does, getting them in the 200’s is nice. To be honest, I don’t know much of anything about either WR and don’t like their situations. Time will tell, but good to have the ones you want.

Overall the WRs are above average and should put up decent numbers. I don’t see any true #1’s, only potential #1’s. Not how I want to leave a dynasty draft after 26 rounds.

TE’s – Grade D-

No stud TE’s. No stud TE prospects. I don’t like the situations of any of the TE’s. Miller is good, but Pit wont ever pass the ball enough to develop it overtime. STL and TEN simply aren’t TE passing schemes. Tony S was only brought on because of the FA loss to Putzier.

PK – Grade C-

Nothing special. Very average. Good prospect, with an excellent college career. No depth, no sure fire’s.

DST – Grade C+

I like NE DST. Above average and should always be that way. No depth, no upside however.

Overall - Grade C-

I considered giving a solid C, but after completely reviewing the team, I simply don’t see the future. Who is the future of this team? Other than LT2, who is going to carry this team? DW? Turner? Norwood? Plax and KRob? If Eli and Rivers become studs, I could see this grade moving to C+, not more though. QBs cant carry teams. I want depth and future. I don’t think Bucketheads team has it.

Code:
Bucketheads-Hyper Player YTD Pts Bye Manning, Eli NYG QB - 4 McNair, Steve TEN QB - 7 Rivers, Philip SDC QB - 3 Schaub, Matt ATL QB - 5 Arrington, J.J. ARI RB - 9 Betts, Ladell WAS RB - 8 Davis, Domanick HOU RB - 5 Fason, Ciatrick MIN RB - 6 Houston, Cedric NYJ RB - 9 Norwood, Jerious ATL RB - 5 Ritchie, Jon FA RB - - Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB - 3 Turner, Michael SDC RB - 3 Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB - 9 Brown, Reggie PHI WR - 9 Burress, Plaxico NYG WR - 4 Galloway, Joey TBB WR - 4 Marshall, Brandon DEN WR - 4 Robinson, Koren MIN WR - 6 Wilson, Travis CLE WR - 6 Byrd, Dominique STL TE - 7 Kinney, Erron TEN TE - 7 Miller, Heath PIT TE - 4 Scheffler, Tony DEN TE - 4 Nugent, Mike NYJ PK - 9 Patriots, New England NEP Def - 6 26 Total Players
Code:
Pick Ovr Franchise Selection Date/Time Comments 1.02 2 Bucketheads  Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB Tue Apr 25 4:16:21 p.m. ET 2006 2.11 23 Bucketheads  Davis, Domanick HOU RB Sun Apr 30 4:26:12 p.m. ET 2006 3.02 26 Bucketheads  Williams, Walter FA RB Sun Apr 30 5:25:22 p.m. ET 2006 pick is DeAngelo Williams 4.11 47 Bucketheads  Burress, Plaxico NYG WR Mon May 1 1:56:01 p.m. ET 2006 5.02 50 Bucketheads  Manning, Eli NYG QB Mon May 1 2:57:26 p.m. ET 2006 6.11 71 Bucketheads  Brown, Reggie PHI WR Mon May 1 10:27:30 p.m. ET 2006 7.02 74 Bucketheads  Turner, Michael SDC RB Mon May 1 10:53:24 p.m. ET 2006 8.11 95 Bucketheads  Miller, Heath PIT TE Tue May 2 3:00:38 p.m. ET 2006 9.02 98 Bucketheads  Robinson, Koren MIN WR Tue May 2 3:27:34 p.m. ET 2006 10.11 119 Bucketheads  Rivers, Philip SDC QB Wed May 3 1:01:02 p.m. ET 2006 11.02 122 Bucketheads  Galloway, Joey TBB WR Wed May 3 2:59:01 p.m. ET 2006 12.11 143 Bucketheads  Norris, Moran HOU RB Wed May 3 10:17:51 p.m. ET 2006 pick is Jerious Norwood, RB  13.02 146 Bucketheads  Schaub, Matt ATL QB Wed May 3 10:36:25 p.m. ET 2006 14.11 167 Bucketheads  Houston, Cedric NYJ RB Thu May 4 2:59:27 p.m. ET 2006 15.02 170 Bucketheads  Baber, Billy FA TE Thu May 4 4:09:57 p.m. ET 2006 pick is Dominique Byrd Replacement pick made by Commissioner 16.11 191 Bucketheads  McNair, Steve TEN QB Fri May 5 1:02:15 p.m. ET 2006 17.02 194 Bucketheads  Betts, Ladell WAS RB Fri May 5 1:39:29 p.m. ET 2006 18.11 215 Bucketheads  Mann, Maurice SEA WR Fri May 5 6:48:52 p.m. ET 2006 pick is Brandon Marshall, WR 19.02 218 Bucketheads  Arrington, J.J. ARI RB Fri May 5 11:33:13 p.m. ET 2006 20.11 239 Bucketheads  Steele, Ben FA TE Sat May 6 2:05:49 p.m. ET 2006 pick is Tony Scheffler, TE Denver 21.02 242 Bucketheads  Wilson, George BUF WR Sat May 6 2:13:58 p.m. ET 2006 pick is Travis Wilson, WR Cleveland 22.11 263 Bucketheads  Ritchie, Jon FA RB Sat May 6 9:52:21 p.m. ET 2006 pick is Gerald Riggs 23.02 266 Bucketheads  Patriots, New England NEP Def Sun May 7 12:03:53 a.m. ET 2006 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 24.11 287 Bucketheads  Browns, Cleveland CLE Def Sun May 7 1:27:40 p.m. ET 2006 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 25.02 290 Bucketheads  Nugent, Mike NYJ PK Sun May 7 3:18:22 p.m. ET 2006 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 26.11 311 Bucketheads  Fason, Ciatrick MIN RB Sun May 7 9:19:22 p.m. ET 2006 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

Fly Igglz Fly

A brief summary of my draft here, by position.

First - I started out with 1.02 and traded a lot. A LOT. I wound with having made three trades before the draft started and nine more while we were drafting. After picking up 2 1sts with my first trade, I decided to move as many picks forward as I could to get extra value and depth in the first 5 and then 10 rounds. The strategy worked as I retained a first rounder (1.08) and then had 4 3rds and a 5th. This gave me 5 of the first 34 players off the board and a much needed 5th.

I later was able to move to a 6th, 2 7ths, 2 9ths, and two 11ths, giving me 7 more picks to bring me up to 13 picks in the first 11 rounds. I only had 12.11 and 14.05 until the 19th round, but the depth I grabbed up front was worth the value. Having a few sleepers on the back end allowed me to take the risk towards the end of the draft.

Pick Pos Player Team

09.06(102) QB Drew Brees NO

05.05(53) QB Donovan McNabb Phi

25.02(290) QB Charlie Whitehurst SD

21.02(242) QB Brodie Croyle KC

26.11(311) QB Ingle Martin GB
Quarterbacks

- I was targeting Tom Brady or Donovan in the 5th round. With Brady going just before me, it was an easy choice. Drew Brees was excellent value in the 9th, so after my first 10 picks I was able to use my 11th on QB2. The later 3 rookies all represent upside values, as they are in situations with aging quarterbacks for their clubs.
01.08(8) RB Lamont Jordan Oak

03.08(32) RB Reuben Droughns Cle

09.02(98) RB Fred Taylor Jac

24.11(287) RB Justin Fargas Oak

19.02(218) RB Nick Goings Car

11.01(121) RB Maurice Drew Jac

03.10(34) RB DeAngelo Williams Car

20.11(239) RB Gerald Riggs Jr MIA

16.11(191) RB Cedric Cobbs Den (acquired via trade)
Running backs - I started off with LJordan, a strong dynasty player especially in PPR. Adding Droughns at 3.08 gave me the ability to take a risk on the Carolina rookie, so I grabbed DeAngelo Williams at 34 overall. I was later able to grab the Jacksonville running game in Fred Taylor and Maurice Drew. Later in the draft I grabbed Fargas to handcuff to LJordan and Nick Goings for DWilliams. Taking flyers on Gerald Riggs Jr. in Miami (great situation) and getting Cobbs in a pick swap trade made the RB situation very nice for my team.
03.09(33) WR Reggie Wayne Ind

07.06(78) WR Derrick Mason Bal

07.08(80) WR Donte Stallworth NO

12.11(143) WR Joe Jurevicius Sea

23.02(266) WR Marty Booker Mia

14.05(161) WR Samie Parker KC

06.07(67) WR Reggie Brown Phi

23.08(272) WR Jason Avant Phi
I was not fortunate enough to get a Top 5 WR, as they went early, but I did get Reggie Wayne - a likely Top 10. Derrick Mason, Stallworth, and Reggie Brown rounded out the WR corps nicely, with only Mason on the wrong side of 30. Joe Jurevicius looked like a wasted pick until news started leaking about how far behind Braylon Edwards is in Cleveland - giving me another #1 WR. Samie Parker is coming in to his own in KC and will be even better in a few years. Avant is a possession type receiver and will get a lot of targets in Philly. Having two WRs from Philly works well with QB McNabb, as does Stallworth-to-Brees. Booker was just a good value.
03.01(25) TE Antonio Gates SD

22.11(263) TE Jeb Putzier Den

11.08(128) TE Zach Hilton NO

26.05(307) TE Jeff King Car
Speaking of good values, Gates at 25 was impossible to pass up. Getting Zach Hilton in Round 11 was excellent value and I could not see him sinking much further. He was the 16th TE off the board, and that's as far as he should ever sink in a dynasty draft. Putzier will do wonders for the TE position again in Houston, something missing for Carr since Billy Miller left town. Jeff King is a huge sleeper in Carolina, and the former Hokie can be a 3-down player with good receiving skills. He could grow in that offense and become the next Wesley Walls.

Fly Igglz Fly  

A brief summary of my draft here, by position.

First - I started out with 1.02 and traded a lot.  A LOT.  I wound with having made three trades before the draft started and nine more while we were drafting.  After picking up 2 1sts with my first trade, I decided to move as many picks forward as I could to get extra value and depth in the first 5 and then 10 rounds.  The strategy worked as I retained a first rounder (1.08) and then had 4 3rds and a 5th.  This gave me 5 of the first 34 players off the board and a much needed 5th.

I later was able to move to a 6th, 2 7ths, 2 9ths, and two 11ths, giving me 7 more picks to bring me up to 13 picks in the first 11 rounds.  I only had 12.11 and 14.05 until the 19th round, but the depth I grabbed up front was worth the value.  Having a few sleepers on the back end allowed me to take the risk towards the end of the draft.

Pick Pos Player Team

09.06(102) QB Drew Brees NO

05.05(53) QB Donovan McNabb Phi 

25.02(290) QB Charlie Whitehurst SD

21.02(242) QB Brodie Croyle KC 

26.11(311) QB Ingle Martin GB
Quarterbacks

- I was targeting Tom Brady or Donovan in the 5th round. With Brady going just before me, it was an easy choice. Drew Brees was excellent value in the 9th, so after my first 10 picks I was able to use my 11th on QB2. The later 3 rookies all represent upside values, as they are in situations with aging quarterbacks for their clubs.
01.08(8) RB Lamont Jordan Oak

03.08(32) RB Reuben Droughns Cle

09.02(98) RB Fred Taylor Jac 

24.11(287) RB Justin Fargas Oak

19.02(218) RB Nick Goings Car

11.01(121) RB Maurice Drew Jac

03.10(34) RB DeAngelo Williams Car

20.11(239) RB Gerald Riggs Jr MIA

16.11(191)     RB      Cedric Cobbs     Den  (acquired via trade) 
Running backs - I started off with LJordan, a strong dynasty player especially in PPR. Adding Droughns at 3.08 gave me the ability to take a risk on the Carolina rookie, so I grabbed DeAngelo Williams at 34 overall. I was later able to grab the Jacksonville running game in Fred Taylor and Maurice Drew. Later in the draft I grabbed Fargas to handcuff to LJordan and Nick Goings for DWilliams. Taking flyers on Gerald Riggs Jr. in Miami (great situation) and getting Cobbs in a pick swap trade made the RB situation very nice for my team.
03.09(33) WR Reggie Wayne Ind

07.06(78) WR Derrick Mason Bal

07.08(80) WR Donte Stallworth NO 

12.11(143) WR Joe Jurevicius Sea

23.02(266) WR Marty Booker Mia 

14.05(161) WR Samie Parker KC 

06.07(67) WR Reggie Brown Phi 

23.08(272) WR Jason Avant Phi
I was not fortunate enough to get a Top 5 WR, as they went early, but I did get Reggie Wayne - a likely Top 10. Derrick Mason, Stallworth, and Reggie Brown rounded out the WR corps nicely, with only Mason on the wrong side of 30. Joe Jurevicius looked like a wasted pick until news started leaking about how far behind Braylon Edwards is in Cleveland - giving me another #1 WR. Samie Parker is coming in to his own in KC and will be even better in a few years. Avant is a possession type receiver and will get a lot of targets in Philly. Having two WRs from Philly works well with QB McNabb, as does Stallworth-to-Brees. Booker was just a good value.
03.01(25) TE Antonio Gates SD  

22.11(263) TE Jeb Putzier Den  

11.08(128) TE Zach Hilton NO 

26.05(307) TE Jeff King Car 
Speaking of good values, Gates at 25 was impossible to pass up. Getting Zach Hilton in Round 11 was excellent value and I could not see him sinking much further. He was the 16th TE off the board, and that's as far as he should ever sink in a dynasty draft. Putzier will do wonders for the TE position again in Houston, something missing for Carr since Billy Miller left town. Jeff King is a huge sleeper in Carolina, and the former Hokie can be a 3-down player with good receiving skills. He could grow in that offense and become the next Wesley Walls.
Solid squad. The only thing I disagree with is your choice of RBs. I'm not all that high on any of your top three guys. Jordan's YPC was pretty bad last year, I'm not sold on Droughns as a long-term starter, and I think Williams could struggle to overcome Foster (sort of a Benson/TJ situation if you ask me). That said, I do think you can compete this year and I like your foundation at QB.

I like Jurevicius a lot for next season. I do see a potential long-term problem at WR and I think you would've been well-served to add a couple more sleepers to the group, but you did manage to get a few decent players there.

Gates was a steal at 25. When I traded up to 1.09, it was with the intention of drafting Gates, Chad Johnson, or Fitzgerald. I ultimately opted to go with a WR, but I still think Gates was a huge value where you got him. I had him ranked as one of the three or four most valuable players in our league.

Edited to add:

Great move in locking up the Jacksonville running game. I strongly considered Maurice Drew in the 11th and 12th round, but ultimately decided that he'd probably never be a full-time featured back and that I should use the picks elsewhere. Nevertheless, I think he and Taylor make a nice pair for you.

Users who are viewing this thread