What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 3 movies you love that no one else has seen (2 Viewers)

Love Lagaan and the Band's Visit. Lagaan one of my favorite movies ever.
I knew I should have taken it in the GWD...I was very close to pulling the trigger for the last film spot.
What did you take instead? As much as I love the movie, it would probably rank lower-middle-of-the pack anyway. If I were judging based on my personal preferences the results would come out very differently.

Ichi the KillerPrimerOldboy
Having seen the first and third of these (but not the second), I'm a little worried about you. Not that they weren't good movies, but :unsure: .
i think oldboy has quite a following herepretty sure i saw it because of a fbg threadwas excellent btw
Ichi the Killer is very similar but, if you can believe it, more violent and shocking. Like I said, they're both great movies. I know Oldboy has been discussed a lot on this forum.
I was thinking of listing Visitor Q, which is even more twisted but not quite in my top three...

Love Lagaan and the Band's Visit. Lagaan one of my favorite movies ever.
I knew I should have taken it in the GWD...I was very close to pulling the trigger for the last film spot.
What did you take instead? As much as I love the movie, it would probably rank lower-middle-of-the pack anyway. If I were judging based on my personal preferences the results would come out very differently.
Yeah I took Unforgiven instead mostly because it's one of my favorite films and I think it's a much better film than Lagaan. Lagaan was pretty entertaining for the most part, but the cricket match was not very interesting to me especially since I don't understand all the rules of cricket, but I realize it's one of Bollywood's heavyweights so I was considering it.

Not necessarily my Top 3 three but here are a couple that I like that most FBGs probably haven't seen:

Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Dark Night of the Scarecrow

Race With the Devil

Smoke Signals - Sherman Alexie is one of my favorite authors, definitely my favorite Native American writer and this film does his stories justice for the most part
Saw it. Liked it a lot. That poem at the end is very powerful:FORGIVING OUR FATHERS

How do we forgive our fathers?

Maybe in a dream?

Do we forgive our fathers for leaving us to often?

Or forever, when we were little?

Maybe for scaring us with unexpected rage, or making us nervous

because there never seemed to be any rage there at all?

Do we forgive our fathers for marrying or not marrying our mothers?

or for divorcing or not divorcing our mothers?

And shall we forgive them for thier excesses of warmth or coldness?

Shall we forgive them for pushing or leaning, or shutting doors?

for speaking thru walls, or never speaking, or never being silent?

Do we forgive our fathers in our age, or in thiers?

Or in thier deaths, saying it to them, or not saying it.

If we forgive our fathers, what is left?

by **** Lourie

eXistenZ

Little Voice

not sure how widely the next few have been seen

Notorious-from the 40s

Touch of Evil

Dark City

Layer Cake---definitely in my top 5 fron this decade

I had a hard time coming up with just three. Here's a start:

Little Dieter Needs to Fly

Matewan

The Dish

Can't say enough good things about Little Dieter Needs to Fly. I beg you all to see that movie.

More movies I highly recommend that are under the radar:

The Story of the Weeping Camel

Dear Frankie

The Iron Monkey

Blood in Blood Out: Bound By Honor

Citizen X

House Of Saddam

American Splendor

Elephant

Generation Kill

Sometimes in April

The Party Animal - the ratio of funny to audience size is approaching infinity. Funniest obscure movie I've ever seen. Search for "Pondo Sinatra" on Youtube for clips.

Sixty-Six - Came out a few years ago in the U.K. I don't think it's been shown in the US. I caught it on an international flight. Awkward, neglected kid is looking forward to becoming the center of attention on his bar-mitzvah...scheduled on the 1966 World Cup Final that England makes a miracle run towards. Very funny and touching.

The Fastest Indian (previously mentioned) - Anthony Hopkins is outstanding in this story of a man with a dream of setting a landspeed record on his souped-up motorcycle.

Killer of Sheep

Stroszek

Celebrity
Love both of these, and I own Killer of Sheep. What is Celebrity? It sounds familiar but I can't think of what it is.Without putting much thought into this, my three are:

13 Tzameti

Yi-Yi

Kings and Queen
:goodposting: both of thoseDreamlife of Angels

Before the Rain

Heaven (Tykwer)
i love twyker but my fav from him is princess and the warrioranyone dig wong kar wai? chung king express is a goodie
:lmao: In the Mood for Love and 2046 both good, too.
+ days of being wild to round out the "trilogy"...

"Before the Rain." Incredible movie from Macedonia. One of my favorite movies ever: Link

"Daywatch." Russian Vampire Movie.

"The Fish that Saved Pittsburg." Just because.

1. Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx (1970) - one of the ultimate stumpers in charades but also a tremendously charming little film. Gene Wilder transcends a patheticly awful brogue to bring home this story of a dung salesman (nk) in a rowhouse Dublin neighborhood who falls for a rich American girl going to Trinity. recently bought a copy on Amazon & was as charmed as when i 1st saw it.

2. Mon Oncle D'Amerique (1980) - Next to Wizard of Oz & Last Tango, the film which has had the most impact on how i conduct my life. Alain Resnais alternates between lectures on psychobiology & little vignettes (starring GDespardieu) where the theories are played out. downloadable - google it.

3. Chimes At Midnight (1965) - i am soooo thankful to Youtube for giving me a chance to watch this marvel for the 1st time in almost 40 yrs. my favorite literary character is Shakespeare's Falstaff and, in one of Orson Welles best films (one of those where he acted in Hollywood movies & bilked fly-by-night investors to make piecemeal over a period of time), he combined all of Falstaff's scenes from the 3-4 plays in which he appears in order to tell his grand, hilarious story. i saw it at a revival theater (oddly, the Orson Welles Theater in Cambridge) on acid in the early 70s & was blown away but remembered little (funny that). unfortunately, because of the lawsuits following the tricky financing, it has never been available in a home video format outside of Brazil (nk), but somebody posted it on Youtube. wikkid say check it.

eXistenZ

Little Voice

Notorious-from the 40s

Touch of Evil

Dark City

Oh gosh, I hated Little Voice. I mean hated it. Think I was just annoyed with the main character; Michael Caine was great as always, though. I like all the others you've listed. :rolleyes:

Fat Girl

Lantana

ETA: I'm broken. I typed The Conversation but meant The Celebration.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few more:

Thumbsucker

Alpha Dog

Hard Candy

Green Street Hooligans

25th Hour

A Good Year

Confederate States of America

Celebrity
I like this movie a lot. It did not get good reviews.
Once I got past Branagh's Allen impersonation, I realized it was pretty damn good. Gets better every time.
Yeah, Branagh's Allen impersonation is annoying. But there are several good parts in that movie. DiCaprio is excellent, and that was the first movie I saw him in where I thought he was an actor to be respected. Judy Davis is one of the best actors around, and her oral sex lesson is about as funny as it gets. And I love the final shot of the movie. Very poignant.

eXistenZ

Little Voice

Notorious-from the 40s

Touch of Evil

Dark City

Oh gosh, I hated Little Voice. I mean hated it. Think I was just annoyed with the main character; Michael Caine was great as always, though. I like all the others you've listed. :)
Same here. Terrible.

Ones that i love that have been mentioned:

The Lookout

Buffalo 66 (even has a football tie-in!)

A few that haven't been mentioned:

Hamlet 2 (laugh-out-loud funny!)

House of Yes (I :) Parker Posey)

Welcome to the Dollhouse (uncomfortably hilarious from Todd Solondz)

Guess I'm not the first to nominate Hard Candy... excellent flick! Ellen Page gives a hauntingly powerful performance.

Also:

The Host

Sleuth

JCVD

Funny Games

I don't know how many FBGs have seen these two movies from the late 80s-early 90s, but I would highly recommend them if you are fans of Turturro, or DeNiro & Harris. The first is a slapstick comedy, but one of Turturro's best performances, while the 2nd is one of the better DeNiro performances that not everyone knows about.

Brain Donors - John Turturro comedy based loosely on a Marx brothers movie... Hilarious, and will be a very pleasant surprise if you've never seen it before.

Jacknife - A relatively lesser known drama about Vietnam war veterans dealing with life after the war and its consequences, starring Robert DeNiro and Ed Harris. A little slow in the beginning, but the acting performances turned in by DeNiro and Harris are top notch, and the payoff is well worth giving this one a view if you haven't already seen it.

Having trouble coming up with a 3rd one, but I saw a previous post that mentioned Layer Cake, and if you haven't seen that one I would also highly recommend it as well.

25th Hour
I own this one, too--beautiful movie.I was trying to remember the name of a movie you recommended in another thread and I really wanted to see...I think it had Harvey Keitel in it. I know that's not a lot to go on.

House of Yes (I :shrug: Parker Posey)Welcome to the Dollhouse (uncomfortably hilarious from Todd Solondz)
Love both of these, especially Welcome to the Dollhouse. But at the same time, Happiness (by Solondz) is one of my most-hated movies of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread