What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Torry Holt's Luck Ran Out (1 Viewer)

Bristol

Footballguy
Last week, I made a bold prediction that Torry Holt's production would take a hit with the return of Marshall Faulk. Based on last nights game, it appears that my prediction has become a reality.I know that most of you will hide behind paper thin arguements like: Baltimore has a great defense or that Bulger had an off night. The reality is that this team is still Marshall's team and he will command plays and TD's that went to Holt for the past six weeks.Let the excuses BEGIN!!!

The Torry Holt that you have all grown to love over the past 3 to 4 weeks will disappear starting this week. With the return of Marshall Faulk, all of the TD's and yardage that he has been getting recently will vanish in the blink of an eye and he will return to the Torry Holt of old.Hope everyone was able to dump him off the past couple of weeks. If not, this upcoming week, may be your last chance to get some big names for him.Marshall is the centerpiece of the Rams team and will command both the yardage and TD's when he returns. It doesn't look good for Holt owners!!
This is my exact prediction for when Faulk returned

I guess you didnt watch the game last night......But I'll tell you what happened....Faulk scored two tds from the 1, td's that wouldve never went to Holt no matter who the rb was.....and Bulger looked horrible....Holt had about 10 balls thrown to him and between good D/bad throws, he only caught 3 of em....So thats what happened.....had nothing to do with the rb position.....since you definitely didnt see the game....and dont be comin on here tellin me or anybody else you saw the game....because you didnt momoAlso....Holt was thrown to twice in the end zone.....The one that wouldve been about a 40 yd td was picked off....Great double coverage on Holt and he didnt have a chance....and the other wouldve been about a 15-20 yd td but Bulger overthrew a wide open Torry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been having this same conversation with another owner in our league for the last few weeks and I sure hope your right! It sure looks that way with Faulk coming in and getting 2 quick tds though. Not an excuse but Balt D did only give up like 120 total yds. May the Marshall movement begin! :thumbup:

I guess you didnt watch the game last night......But I'll tell you what happened....Faulk scored two tds from the 1,
one was a 5 yarder. Its amazing how bad a passing game can look when there is no threat of a running game, which there isnt when Faulk is in the backfield.

I guess you didnt watch the game last night......But I'll tell you what happened....Faulk scored two tds from the 1, td's that wouldve never went to Holt no matter who the rb was.....and Bulger looked horrible....Holt had about 10 balls thrown to him and between good D/bad throws, he only caught 3 of em....So thats what happened.....had nothing to do with the rb position.....since you definitely didnt see the game....and dont be comin on here tellin me or anybody else you saw the game....because you didnt momoAlso....Holt was thrown to twice in the end zone.....The one that wouldve been about a 40 yd td was picked off....Great double coverage on Holt and he didnt have a chance....and the other wouldve been about a 15-20 yd td but Bulger overthrew a wide open Torry.
Excuses, excuses.I did watch the game, thank you.

one was a 5 yarder. Its amazing how bad a passing game can look when there is no threat of a running game, which there isnt when Faulk is in the backfield.
Which could turn out to be another reason for why Holt's numbers will suffer. Thanks for helping to prove a point. :thumbup:

Are you seriously implying that Arlen Harris or Lamar Gordon could/would have done any better? The Ravens played inspired defense last night, plain and simple. I thought Faulk looked pretty good, actually.

Which could turn out to be another reason for why Holt's numbers will suffer. Thanks for helping to prove a point. :thumbup:
No problem, i agree with you that Holts #'s will suffer with Faulk in there, just for different reasons.

Faulk sucks. He is so done. He dances around behind the line of scrimmage waiting to be hit. He doesn't break tackles or make guys miss like he used to. As for Holt, can you honestly name more than 2 receivers you'd rather have right now (moss, harrison). And Harrison is hurt.

The Torry Holt that you have all grown to love over the past 3 to 4 weeks will disappear starting this week. With the return of Marshall Faulk, all of the TD's and yardage that he has been getting recently will vanish in the blink of an eye and he will return to the Torry Holt of old.Hope everyone was able to dump him off the past couple of weeks. If not, this upcoming week, may be your last chance to get some big names for him.Marshall is the centerpiece of the Rams team and will command both the yardage and TD's when he returns. It doesn't look good for Holt owners!!
It was a really strange game last night. It was really about the Rams defense. Everytime there was any pressure to score, the Rams defense came up big and allowed them to get in scoring position. The offense really did not have to do very much. It has nothing to do with Faulk, it really didn't. Wait till next week and we will see. By the way I do not have one Rams player on my squad, I did however watch the game last night and I think most would agree that was not a typical game.

Bristol, you sound someone who is arguing with yourself trying to convince yourself that you actually know what you are talking about. Fortunately, most of us know better.

Faulk sucks. He is so done. He dances around behind the line of scrimmage waiting to be hit. He doesn't break tackles or make guys miss like he used to. As for Holt, can you honestly name more than 2 receivers you'd rather have right now (moss, harrison). And Harrison is hurt.
Santana Moss.Pennington's return helps S. Moss where Faulk's return hurts Holt.

This must be one of those party boats for deep sea fishing...all aboard. Just when you start to prove him wrong he'll call you names. :cool:

Here’s a story that you might find interesting…There was a horse race and from the outset one horse fell far behind the pack. Along the back stretch this horse was 20 lengths off the pace. Coming into the third turn the first horse is bumped hard by the second place horse. Both frontrunners fall and the six other horses in the pack are also taken down. The last place horse is able to avoid the pile up and wins easily.At the ticket counter a man cashing a winning ticket turns to his wife and proclaims “See! I told ya he’d win!”

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how everyone is so quick to toot their own horn. 1 game with Faulk back and you have decided that Holt is done for the year.They were winning with the pass. IF Martz is a brilliant as he thinks he is, he will continue to throw the ball. Faulk didnt look great, didnt look bad, the offense as a whole did not play well and STL's def/ST set them up nicely for some very short TDs.Gordon or Harris could have done as much as Faulk did last night. THAT was not what hurt Holt. It was Martz and his ######## playcalling and the fact that the offense had a bad day.Wait another week to bow your horn, you are alittle premature with that this week.

There were one of two options here, either:1) you based this thread simply on the stats and didn't watch the game in which case those that did see the game and know something about the game of football have since corrected your error in saying your prediction came true.2) or you watched the game and stated your prediction was true based on a game in which the entire Ram O was shut down, including Mr. Faulk, which means you are an idiot. Since you already negated item 1, then the latter must be true....I'm not saying the prediction will not come true, but I don't think this week was a good indicator. Let's see a game when the Rams offense get's 4 TD's on sustained drives (not gifts from the opposing team in the redzone), and see what the numbers look like....

Last week, I made a bold prediction that Torry Holt's production would take a hit with the return of Marshall Faulk. Based on last nights game, it appears that my prediction has become a reality.I know that most of you will hide behind paper thin arguements like: Baltimore has a great defense or that Bulger had an off night. The reality is that this team is still Marshall's team and he will command plays and TD's that went to Holt for the past six weeks.Let the excuses BEGIN!!!
you're unbelievableyeah, if Faulk hadn't been in there they would have thrown to Holt on the one yard line. :rolleyes: Equivalent Analogy:Bristol: "It won't rain tomorrow because the world is going to end"The world doesn't end, and it doesn't rainBristol: "I told you so!!!!"

There were one of two options here, either:1) you based this thread simply on the stats and didn't watch the game in which case those that did see the game and know something about the game of football have since corrected your error in saying your prediction came true.2) or you watched the game and stated your prediction was true based on a game in which the entire Ram O was shut down, including Mr. Faulk, which means you are an idiot. Since you already negated item 1, then the latter must be true....I'm not saying the prediction will not come true, but I don't think this week was a good indicator. Let's see a game when the Rams offense get's 4 TD's on sustained drives (not gifts from the opposing team in the redzone), and see what the numbers look like....
And last week was a good indicator when I got RIPPED even when Faulk didn't play?Game goes both ways here, pal.

Holts #'s with Faulk- 4 games, 21 catches, 281 yards and 2 TD's(avg. per game- 4.25 catches 70 yards, .5 TD's)Holt's #'s with someone other than Faulk- 5 games, 45 catches, 735 yards, 7 TD's(avg. per game- 9 catches, 147 yards, 1.4 TD's)Holt is a top 3-5 WR either way, but if im a Holt owner, im hoping Faulk is NOT in the backfield.

This must be one of those party boats for deep sea fishing...all aboard. Just when you start to prove him wrong he'll call you names. :cool:
LOL no he's serious.Next week when he lights it up against Chicago,remember you can't discount that because it's the Bears defense.IMO it is naive to believe the ravens D was not a factor!

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but I will say this about Faulk. His return just allows the genius Martz the opportunity to ignore him. Over the past couple of years Martz has proven to be the only person capable of devising a gameplan to stop Marshall Faulk.In other words, Martz will continue to throw the ball all over the field just cause that is what he likes to do. Perhaps, if the Ram Offense was in the hands of a lesser "Genius", the return of Marshall Faulk would impact Holt's #'s because you would have to make him the centerpiece of your "O" . However in St. Louis, Martz is the centerpiece and most important piece of the offense, and he will continue to air it out, no matter how many super bowls it may cost him. BTW, I do not own Holt or Faulk in any leagues this year.

And last week was a good indicator when I got RIPPED even when Faulk didn't play?Game goes both ways here, pal.
No it doesn't because your prediction had a time frame involved. You said it woul dhappen in week 9. It didn't because Faulk didn't play. It's not my fault you made that prediction the week before Faulk started again. You were the one that was premature on making the prediction. The Rams have a cream puff next week in the form of the Bears. Let's talk then....Like I said, this week doesn't confirm your prediction, but it doesn't deny it. It could still come true. I think it won't but weeks 9 and 10 do not prove the prediction...Talk to me next week and then blow your own horn if it comes true but right now it hasn't...

I have tons of thoughts on why Bristol is posting this after Holt's only poor game of the year, which happened to coincide with an incredible defensive performance by the Ravens, but I will withhold comment until after the Chicago game. If Holt delivers a clunker in that game, too, with Faulk behind the wheel, I will apologize and give you the benefit of the doubt, but if Holt bounces back with a big game, and Faulk runs wild as well, then Bristol's got Ricky Ricardo syndrome:Luuuuucy, you got sun splainin' to do!

I dont really consider it a bold prediction that Holt's #'s would take hit Bristol. He was on pace to break the receiving yardage record in a year, so really his numbers could only go one way, "DOWN". They sure as h*** cant go up bc he has been insane all year and you cant really improve or maintain that pace.Try making a bold prediction like a sleeper receiver who will blow up over the second half! Stupid effin loser! Uhhhh my name is bristol, here is my next bold predictions:"Priest Holmes is a great starting option at RB for the rest of the year""Ron Dayne will not break 1000 yds rushing this year"

Everybody on St Loius O played bad last night, including Faulk. His 2 TD came from goal-line carries, and Arlen Harris would have converted them too. One thing I can tell is thatg when Faulk went down a few weeks ago, Mike changed his o strategy and it worked wonderful. I only hope that he does not go back to the old schemes. And by the way, a couple of Bulger's throws were defelcted, and he was constantly being pressure in the front, so please don't go about running your mouth after one prime-time game when they played a good D team.

Bulger could not throw a ball to save his life last night. I'd say the only ball that Torry could have had that wasn't Bulgers fault was 35 yrd corner route right at the goal line were it got picked. Torry tripped on the defender and the defender made a great play on the ball. As for faulks impact having an effect...I wouldn't use this week as an arguement. Faulk put up similar numbers to Harris last week and Bulger and Holt had huge games that week.If you watched the game , Bulger looked terrible and could not hit water if he fell out of a boat. In my opinion, the jury is still out on Bristol's theory...you can't base it on a week when their offence looks terrible. In fact, Holt was still targeted 9 or 10 times with only 3 catches. He had 0 drops. I believe his theory was that his production will drop because they will focus only on Faulk. Looks to me like they were going to Torry just as often as past weeks. Therefore, had that offence been rolling and Bulger been on, I think that Holt's output would have been right on par with past weeks.

Holts #'s with Faulk- 4 games, 21 catches, 281 yards and 2 TD's(avg. per game- 4.25 catches 70 yards, .5 TD's)Holt's #'s with someone other than Faulk- 5 games, 45 catches, 735 yards, 7 TD's(avg. per game- 9 catches, 147 yards, 1.4 TD's)Holt is a top 3-5 WR either way, but if im a Holt owner, im hoping Faulk is NOT in the backfield.
Think this has more to do with Bulger getting more comfortable in the starting job and getting Martz's confidence in play calling. Last night was not a good game to judge anything on seeing as their total O had 150 yards.

Think this has more to do with Bulger getting more comfortable in the starting job and getting Martz's confidence in play calling. Last night was not a good game to judge anything on seeing as their total O had 150 yards.
possibly, just not what i think.

One of the reasons I wasn't high on Holt this offseason (he was the last available from my top 8 receivers in two leagues, passed on him in one, and didn't get a chance at him in the rest) is because I thought he had limited upside. When asked why, I said that as long as Faulk is around, Holt will be an afterthought in the red zone. This limits his upside to about 6-8 TDs, although his yardage numbers should be back in the 1300-1600 yard range they've been in of late. Faulk's injury seems to bear this out - this suggests that Holt's numbers will improve if/when Faulk retires, and that Holt's numbers could go down now that Faulk is back. I agree with the premise of the post, but I don't understand why you are once again begging for argument. Even if you end up being right, you still lose credibility on the board.

Moss Week#2 - 27 ydsHarrison Week#3 - 31 ydsOwens Week#6 - 42 yds, 36 ydsHorn Week#3 - 5 yds, Week#9, 39 ydsMason Week#4 - y yds, Week#7, 39 yds, Week#8, 29 ydsMy point is that ALL receivers lay an egg from time-to-time. Even the best in the league.If Holt kept up his current pace he would have broke Rice's yardage record and posted rediculous totals. Nobody thought he could 100% keep up his pace, so you're not a genius for "Predicting" a decline.I was following the other thread, and although Faulk didn't start last week I know most people were ripping you for predicting doom for Holt. Let's call it one for two in the Bristol prediction category and see what the next few weeks bring. (When StL isn't playing Balt and Bulger isn't tanking)

Last week, I made a bold prediction that Torry Holt's production would take a hit with the return of Marshall Faulk. Based on last nights game, it appears that my prediction has become a reality.

I know that most of you will hide behind paper thin arguements like: Baltimore has a great defense or that Bulger had an off night. The reality is that this team is still Marshall's team and he will command plays and TD's that went to Holt for the past six weeks.

Let the excuses BEGIN!!!
Lets hear your excuses for the rest of your predictions the past few weeks:
Bristol on Bulgar (11/8)

I think Bulger will continue to put up the numbers that he has. History with the offense dictates that it does not matter who is starting at QB, they will always produce (Warner, Green, Bulger).
13/26 110, 0 TD, 2 INT
Bristol on D.Davis (10/29)

Two games does not a season make especially when one of the games was against the Jets. Calm down, take a deep breath. He is a mirage and not what you think he is.
Bristol on Portis (10/25)

How do you figure? Denver has obvious QB problems and that will only magnify the glaring weaknesses at WR. Defenses will stack the box against Portis. I see him as being marginal at best.
Bristol on McNair (10/19)

Personally, I don't think that the guy is all that great. He is a victim of a pretty easy schedule and lack of a runnng game right now. Both of these factors will catch up to him this week and I fully expect him to go back to the pedestrian stats from previous years.

The guy is not GREAT. Just lucky.....
Since you like to draw attention to your predictions, lets discuss all of them.

Last week, I made a bold prediction that Torry Holt's production would take a hit with the return of Marshall Faulk. Based on last nights game, it appears that my prediction has become a reality.

I know that most of you will hide behind paper thin arguements like: Baltimore has a great defense or that Bulger had an off night. The reality is that this team is still Marshall's team and he will command plays and TD's that went to Holt for the past six weeks.

Let the excuses BEGIN!!!
Bristol on Bulgar (11/8)

I think Bulger will continue to put up the numbers that he has. History with the offense dictates that it does not matter who is starting at QB, they will always produce (Warner, Green, Bulger).
13/26 110, 0 TD, 2 INT

Two games does not a season make especially when one of the games was against the Jets. Calm down, take a deep breath. He is a mirage and not what you think he is.

How do you figure? Denver has obvious QB problems and that will only magnify the glaring weaknesses at WR. Defenses will stack the box against Portis. I see him as being marginal at best.

Personally, I don't think that the guy is all that great. He is a victim of a pretty easy schedule and lack of a runnng game right now. Both of these factors will catch up to him this week and I fully expect him to go back to the pedestrian stats from previous years.

1 for 5 aint bad?

Let the excuses BEGIN!!!
Bristol on Bulgar (11/8)

13/26 110, 0 TD, 2 INT

Glad to see that you are a fan of my work :thumbup: None of those statements have been proven wrong. I shot you down on the last Holt thread. Please refer to that for clarification. Thanks for playing!!

Last week, I made a bold prediction that Torry Holt's production would take a hit with the return of Marshall Faulk.  Based on last nights game, it appears that my prediction has become a reality.

I know that most of you will hide behind paper thin arguements like: Baltimore has a great defense or that Bulger had an off night.  The reality is that this team is still Marshall's team and he will command plays and TD's that went to Holt for the past six weeks.

Let the excuses BEGIN!!!
Bristol on Bulgar (11/8)

13/26 110, 0 TD, 2 INT

1 for 5 aint bad?
:rotflmao:

Last week, I made a bold prediction that Torry Holt's production would take a hit with the return of Marshall Faulk.  Based on last nights game, it appears that my prediction has become a reality.

I know that most of you will hide behind paper thin arguements like: Baltimore has a great defense or that Bulger had an off night.  The reality is that this team is still Marshall's team and he will command plays and TD's that went to Holt for the past six weeks.

Let the excuses BEGIN!!!
Bristol on Bulgar (11/8)

13/26 110, 0 TD, 2 INT

Glad to see that you are a fan of my work :thumbup: None of those statements have been proven wrong. I shot you down on the last Holt thread. Please refer to that for clarification. Thanks for playing!!
Funny, I thought he was right on, 1 for 5, and if Faulk starts plays the entire game next week and Holt gets 120 and 2 TD's you are going to be 0-fer....

Wow, thanks GoingFor2.Glad to see someone is keeping this guy accountable.That's another thing that makes Bristol's predictions less "Genius". When you make many many silly predictions, one or two is bound to pan out. Doesn't change that fact that you're wrong more than you're right.I know Bristol loves to go against the grain, and it certainly gets people fired up. (Just look at how fast this thread is gathering posts). I think it's also the fact that Bristol never admits his mistakes (eats his crow) that promotes people ganging-up on him.War McNair!!

I know Bristol loves to go against the grain, and it certainly gets people fired up. (Just look at how fast this thread is gathering posts). I think it's also the fact that Bristol never admits his mistakes (eats his crow) that promotes people ganging-up on him.
I think it's the negativity and the silly avatar. You notice how some love to predict someone won't produce greatness. These are typically easier to hit than the other way around. Bulger to succeed should have been safe, and, like Holt, that one's not in the books yet.

Yeah - your a real Ms. Cleo there.....I guess it had NOTHIGN to do with the excellent Baltimore defense, huh? Idiot.

Holt still had over 30% of the Offenses total yards last night. If he got 38 yards while Faulk had 150 and Bulger threw for 250 then I'd be worried. Holt: 38 yards, St. Louis Offense: 122 total yards.

Faulk may contribute to a slight decline in his looks, but I believe the quality of his chances might actually increase (if that's possible--as Wheelhouse points out he has more FIRST DOWN receptions than all but 5-6 WRs have RECEPTIONS). However...If there is a decline pending I would attribute it to what the Niners uncovered, specifically repeated blitzing that throws off the timing that Bulger had become accustomed to in his crossing routes. If they are able to adjust the timing of their routes, things should be fine. Nor do they play a D that is the caliber of the Ravens' each week.No reason to believe that Holt will continue his NFL RECORD pace, but you certainly can expect him to finish very hot and perform very well for where he was drafted!

Faulk returning had nothing to do with Holts off night. It had everything to do with baltimores tough D plus the Rams as a whole couldnt move the ball on Baltimore. Bristol is an idiot and predicted Holt to have a bad game 2 weeks ago which he had 200 yards and a TD. Bristol said he predicted Holt to have a bad game this week which isnt the case. He predicted Holts production to go down the week he blew up. :cool:

This is precisely why nobody pimps the "stud WR is the key to fantasy fball success" theory. WR's always lay 2 or 3 eggs every year. By an egg, I mean under 5 points, when their next lowest is 12. Maybe you haven't noticed, but Torry Holt has put up major yards every year in the league, but few TD's. He is now the #1 receiver, and the TD's are coming. Will he lose TD's to Marshall? I think he probably will, as where Gordon and Harris were relative non-TD threats outside the 10, Marshall is a TD threat every time he touches the ball.

Let the excuses BEGIN!!!
Bristol on Bulgar (11/8)

13/26 110, 0 TD, 2 INT

:thumbup: :rotflmao: :thumbup: :rotflmao: :thumbup: :rotflmao: This post made my day. GB GoingFor2.

As of now, Bristol was right and if not propped for it, he should at least not have to deal with people making excuses. Bottom line is, so far he's right.

Users who are viewing this thread