What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (1 Viewer)

I guess if Dems go extreme and play the Nazi card there is a chance Trump wins.   Dems need to keep the fanatics in line.   It is their worst enemy. 

Trump approval ratings are horrible and have no real chance at improving.   I don't see what his path to winning is. 
A strong economy OR a crisis in which Trump performs well OR a candidate from the Democrats who is regarded as unacceptable to the center Or an event  which greatly increases the public’s level of fear.  Or some combination of any of these. 

A strong economy OR a crisis in which Trump performs well OR a candidate from the Democrats who is regarded as unacceptable to the center Or an event  which greatly increases the public’s level of fear.  Or some combination of any of these. 
Economy has been fairly strong and it hasn't helped.   Perhaps some attack on the US could unite the country.   But let's not go there.  Under normal circumstances, candidate X beats Trump soundly.  

To get back on track - @Hawkeye21 I thought of you when I read this

China soybean imports down (The English version is behind a paywall and I can only offer a loose translation of the Danish text below)

In the first 8 months of the year China bough 7.8m tons of soybeans in the US, 31% down on same period last year. Specifically for August the percentage is down 95%

In the same period China has purchased 1.5m tons more of Saybeans from Brazil than they used to.

China may have found a different type of feed for it's swine farms, thus whether the market recovers after the trade war is in doubt
also

Iran has bought 414,000 tons of Soybeans from the US in August.
Odds on that continuing?

I’ll take another several days of the market carnage we saw yesterday if it guarantees Trump will be out of office after Mueller reports, absolutely. The markets will recover. Not so sure about our country’s soul (which I think was explored in yet another thread).

To get back on track - @Hawkeye21 I thought of you when I read this

China soybean imports down (The English version is behind a paywall and I can only offer a loose translation of the Danish text below)

also

Odds on that continuing?
After a great Spring and Summer farmers in Iowa were expecting even better crops than last year, which was one of the best, but now we are experiencing one of the wettest Falls I have ever seen.  There are a lot of crops still in the fields right now and no way to harvest them until it dries up.  Now we have temps dropping below freezing over night with highs only in the 40's.  Farmer spending with us has dropped in the last month after having a pretty good August.  It's going to be an interesting finish to the year.

After a great Spring and Summer farmers in Iowa were expecting even better crops than last year, which was one of the best, but now we are experiencing one of the wettest Falls I have ever seen.  There are a lot of crops still in the fields right now and no way to harvest them until it dries up.  Now we have temps dropping below freezing over night with highs only in the 40's.  Farmer spending with us has dropped in the last month after having a pretty good August.  It's going to be an interesting finish to the year.
It's pretty bad news if the Chinese have found an alternative to American soybeans for swine feed, particularly if it is domestic. They will be sure to press on that to reduce the dependence on (US) imports in the future.

It's pretty bad news if the Chinese have found an alternative to American soybeans for swine feed, particularly if it is domestic. They will be sure to press on that to reduce the dependence on (US) imports in the future.
Trump is like the employee that goes to the boss demanding a raise only to find out they are way over paid in the first place and can be replaced by two people cheaper. 

So Trump replaces Yellen with a more hawkish chairman and then proceeds to implement policies that are expected to raise inflation (tariffs and deficit-financed tax cuts).  Now he is complaining about the Fed for predictably raising rates.  What a dangerous buffoon.

Also this:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

The Fed's reckless policies of low interest and flooding the market with dollars needs to be stopped or we will face record inflation.

12:24 PM - 29 Sep 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
So Trump replaces Yellen with a more hawkish chairman and then proceeds to implement policies that are expected to raise inflation (tariffs and deficit-financed tax cuts).  Now he is complaining about the Fed for raising rates.  What a dangerous buffoon.

Also this:

The Fed's reckless policies of low interest and flooding the market with dollars needs to be stopped or we will face record inflation.

Pretty much....he's not very good at the thing he is supposed to be best at :lol:  

Best part of his rant is he has a real life example of how interest rates and inflation work in Turkey if he'd take two seconds and turn off FoxNews and pay attention.  I guess he's in good company with Erdogan?  :lol:  

So Trump replaces Yellen with a more hawkish chairman and then proceeds to implement policies that are expected to raise inflation (tariffs and deficit-financed tax cuts).  Now he is complaining about the Fed for predictably raising rates.  What a dangerous buffoon.

Also this:

Saw this on CNBC this morning. Jim Cramer, a Trump supporter, called him out, which was funny.  

48.9% of about 125 posters would be celebrating according to the poll linked above by @Da Guru
You know that thing where your wife will be like "if you had to sleep with one of my friends, which one would it be?" 

And you're not an idiot, so you say "None of them."

And she says "No, but if you had to which one would it be?"

And you say "I'm not answering that question."

And she says "Don't be stupid, just which one would it be?"

And you say "I don't know, I guess Jennifer."

And she says "You scumbag, I knew you wanted to sleep with Jennifer.  I can't believe you!  You can sleep on the couch."

Is there a reason to be either?

Markets go up, and markets go down.

For me, its a little sad to see people who measure success by the size of their 401K.  Life is bigger than money. 
:goodposting:   Except for me the size of my 401K determines when I can retire and that's a pretty important life goal of mine.

You know that thing where your wife will be like "if you had to sleep with one of my friends, which one would it be?" 

And you're not an idiot, so you say "None of them."

And she says "No, but if you had to which one would it be?"

And you say "I'm not answering that question."

And she says "Don't be stupid, just which one would it be?"

And you say "I don't know, I guess Jennifer."

And she says "You scumbag, I knew you wanted to sleep with Jennifer.  I can't believe you!  You can sleep on the couch."
Let's face it baby, all the guys want to sleep with Jennifer, and a goodly portion of the women do as well.  I'll go sleep on the couch now.  One thing, which end of it did she sit on when Jennifer was here last week?

:goodposting:   Except for me the size of my 401K determines when I can retire and that's a pretty important life goal of mine.
Are you retiring in the next few years?  If not then you may want to be more concerned about the long term and not the short term.

Is there a reason to be either?

Markets go up, and markets go down.

For me, its a little sad to see people who measure success by the size of their 401K.  Life is bigger than money. 
It is also sad because a large percentage of Trump voters (and the country as a whole) have little to money in the stock market 

It is also sad because a large percentage of Trump voters (and the country as a whole) have little to money in the stock market 
It doesn't matter.  The success of their life lies in the perceived alignment of how the 1% is doing rather than their actual own existence. 

3% drop back to where it was just 3 weeks ago. No no really. 
Obviously everyone's situation is different, but I've lost pretty much all gains (including paycheck contributions) since May in the last three days, so yeah, relevant news to me. About the same thing happened in January and it took until July to recover back to that level.

:lmao:   As opposed to people selling gloom and doom over a single day drop?  Exactly my point.
I think volatility can be a bad sign.  Other than that it think people are just going back and forth trying to stick it to each other.  I'm pretty sure most of us all agree the market really doesn't matter when it comes to Trump's performance. 

Obviously everyone's situation is different, but I've lost pretty much all gains (including paycheck contributions) since May in the last three days, so yeah, relevant news to me. About the same thing happened in January and it took until July to recover back to that level.
Here you go:

Are you retiring in the next few years?  If not then you may want to be more concerned about the long term and not the short term.
ETA: and the Dow is back at the same spot it was 3 weeks ago, so.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:   As opposed to people selling gloom and doom over a single day drop?  Exactly my point.
I think volatility can be a bad sign.  Other than that it think people are just going back and forth trying to stick it to each other.  I'm pretty sure most of us all agree the market really doesn't matter when it comes to Trump's performance. 
I agree, the market is a poor indicator or presidential performance.

It's the market, these things will happen.  We've had a pretty long run of a bull market already.  People tend to forget that there are going to be longer periods of sideways to down markets over time.  Whether this is the beginning of that I have no idea.  I'm too heavy in cash because I hated the volatility.  The stuff that went on around 2008 was stressful when I was needing cash to try and grow a business so I probably was way too conservative back then and even now I still am.  That's not to say I'm still not invested in the market.  It's cost me some money likely over time to be allocated this way, but I don't sweat these things today because I've stayed liquid enough to cover these market cycles and not feel like I have to cash out.    

Users who are viewing this thread