What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trip's Top 10 Undervalued - July Edition (2 Viewers)

No but it's also generally unfair to compare rookie QBs to veterans.
Agreed totally.  I'm just pointing out that the 5 rookie QBs of note last year went to a variety of different offenses.  Overall, amazingly, the one in Cleveland likely had the best overall offense to put any of them on - so the one that went there had the best statistical season (also, he's probably the most talented of the bunch as well). 

Depending on the scoring system, he could be great value.  If you're in a passing td worth 4 and all rushing tds worth 6 league go for it, unfortunately I'm in an all tds worth 6 league. 

WHich 2 are your Fitz/Winston for this year then?
A Josh Alllen (QB 20) and Brady (QB 21) via fantasy pros rankings are a nice, cheap combination of safety and upside.

For a real cheap option- Andy Dalton. Green back, Boyd pretty good, Eifert back for RZ, and Taylor as HC make for an interesting late round dart throw.

In regard to the amount of love I see here for Lamar Jackson, I don’t think I have read any mention that teams will now have had a chance to review tape on the Ravens’ offense. 

Shouldn’t we feel opposing teams will now be better equipped to slow him down/stop him?

In regard to the amount of love I see here for Lamar Jackson, I don’t think I have read any mention that teams will now have had a chance to review tape on the Ravens’ offense. 

Shouldn’t we feel opposing teams will now be better equipped to slow him down/stop him?
I think a whole new offense is being installed.  He came in mid-season into an offense designed for a pocket passer.  They adjusted it and added some wrinkles, but this year I suspect that an entire new section of the playbook will be added to the scheme, based upon the offensive strengths.  They also probably had to keep it pretty basic for Lamar since he was a 21 year old rookie.  Now with 8 starts and an offseason, I dont think that last year's film wil be all that beneficial.  Maybe by mid season though if Jackson has not established his arm as a weapon.

A Josh Alllen (QB 20) and Brady (QB 21) via fantasy pros rankings are a nice, cheap combination of safety and upside.

For a real cheap option- Andy Dalton. Green back, Boyd pretty good, Eifert back for RZ, and Taylor as HC make for an interesting late round dart throw.
I was thinking the same exact thing...particularly in 2 QB leagues.

I think a whole new offense is being installed.  He came in mid-season into an offense designed for a pocket passer.  They adjusted it and added some wrinkles, but this year I suspect that an entire new section of the playbook will be added to the scheme, based upon the offensive strengths.  They also probably had to keep it pretty basic for Lamar since he was a 21 year old rookie.  Now with 8 starts and an offseason, I dont think that last year's film wil be all that beneficial.  Maybe by mid season though if Jackson has not established his arm as a weapon.
While I agree having a second season with the team should lead to greater familiarity with team mates and coaches should lead to some improvement, the same thing could be said for a lot of QB who had new coaches last season.

As far as the offense being new, I am sure there will be new wrinkles and I do think they have Jackson throw more and run a bit less, I do not think the offense is going to really be new though.

Marty Morhenweg has been replaced by Greg Roman as the offensive coordinator. Roman is going into his 3rd season with the Ravens now and certainly had a hand in developing the offense and game plan to suit Lamar Jackson once they pulled the plug on Falcco, however they were very prepared to do this, in fact they had been talking about it and planning for a scenario where if they did draft Jackson, what they would do with him.

So I think they have a long term plan for Jackson and we have seen the early iterations of it.

Really it is the skill set of the personnel that is driving the scheme more than the other way around. A lot of parts of the offense are and were the same for Jackson as they are for Flacco. The difference being that Jackson can run the ball, and how!

Jackson was in a Erhardt Perkins system in college. Martys roots are in the WCO. So that was a transition for Jackson. He shouldn't be having to learn a whole new offense this season though despite the change in offensive coordinator.

TheDirtyWord said:
Robby Anderson (6.11 - WR29): If you believe in the Year 2 jump for Sam Darnold, then he’s got to develop that QB/WR1 connection.  With Chris Herndon suspended the first 4 games of 2019, there is an opportunity here for Anderson to seize that role.  And his per game production with theoretically lesser QB play has been solid.
Anderson should be on everyone’s Undervalued List. I’d be happy to have him as a WR2 and elated if he’s my WR3.

RE: Winston.... Last season at this time, it sure seemed like everyone was saying the same thing at QB.  Mahomes looked like a freak and the Chiefs offense was going to be amazing.  Despite nearly everyone hyping Mahomes as THE mid/late QB to take, he barely rose up in drafts.  Probably my biggest surprise after each draft  the last week or 2 before last season was how easy it still was to get Mahomes when everyone on twitter, fbg, podcasts, etc was pushing him. 

This year, everyone seems to be on the same page about Winston taking a huge leap.  Yet, I haven't seen almost any rise up ADP.  Maybe it's just early, or maybe I'm going to be drafting Winston in round 10 in early September. 

I don't like to bump QBs I'm not already high on after a perceived coaching/scheme improvement. Yeah, Arians could give a huge bump. And he's a great coach. But I think one of the areas where even great coaches (hell maybe especially great coaches) have a blind spot is their belief in their own ability to get the most out of mediocre QBs. I'd need to already like Winston in order to bet my season that Arians will fix him. 

Users who are viewing this thread