What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trip's Top 5 Redraft Value Plays - Pre-Training Camp Edition (1 Viewer)

Woodhead is going to be a beast for the first 4 weeks.  Woodhead >>>>>>> West and he is going to get a lot of touches during Dixon's suspension.  I think the coaches are going to work Dixon in slow again this year and he doesn't return value till late in the season if at all this year.  

My guess is those who draft Dixon will end up dropping him by week 8 and you can grab him late in the season if you are still a believer.
The problem is that Woodhead is garbage between the tackles. Always has been. I don't imagine that will get better with age. He's small and fast but for whatever reason (at least partially due to how easily he is tackled) he just doesn't get it done as a runner. West isn't impressive (JAG) but he's better between the tackles than Woodhead.

But that's his point... Melvin Gordon is a top 5ish RB this year depending on whose rankings you're reading. Danny Woodhead was being given 2 snaps to Gordon's 1... for a reason possibly. His point was if he can beat out Melvin Gordon, West/Dixon should be a breeze. 

Do you think Woodhead offers as good of value as he did in SD in terms of use in the passing game? 
Top 5 fantasy doesn't mean anything to coaches. To me that's more of an indictment of Gordon than praise for Woodhead. Gordon was coming off an abysmal rookie season. It's possible he just hadn't gained the coaches trust. But as for the comp of Gordon vs. West/Dixon, I won't be surprised if Dixon has a better career than Gordon. Not a popular opinion right now, but give it a couple years.

Much like Sproles leaving NO, I think Woodhead is leaving the place where he had the best fit, production-wise. I don't blame him, though. Why not take more money for less workload at this stage of his career? Probably his last contract.

The problem is that Woodhead is garbage between the tackles. Always has been. I don't imagine that will get better with age. He's small and fast but for whatever reason (at least partially due to how easily he is tackled) he just doesn't get it done as a runner. West isn't impressive (JAG) but he's better between the tackles than Woodhead.
You are right that Woodhead has been less than stellar running between the tackles by his paltry 3.7 ypc over the last three years.  I don't think he will get the bulk of the carries on early downs but I think that he fits what Baltimore has been doing on offense for the last couple years.  I am sure they want to be more balanced but trotting West out every down isn't going to get you there.  I can see a scenario where Woodhead and West split carries 50/50 but Woodhead still gets 5-6 rec per game.  

After Dixon gets back it carries could get cut more but I think once you get used to having a guy like Woodhead they will keep feeding him the receptions.  

Top 5 fantasy doesn't mean anything to coaches. To me that's more of an indictment of Gordon than praise for Woodhead. Gordon was coming off an abysmal rookie season. It's possible he just hadn't gained the coaches trust. But as for the comp of Gordon vs. West/Dixon, I won't be surprised if Dixon has a better career than Gordon. Not a popular opinion right now, but give it a couple years.

Much like Sproles leaving NO, I think Woodhead is leaving the place where he had the best fit, production-wise. I don't blame him, though. Why not take more money for less workload at this stage of his career? Probably his last contract.
I agree very much with you. Thanks for explaining further. I share your opinion of Dixon vs Gordon, however for different reasons... more of a down on Gordon than super high on Dixon point of view. 

Interesting to see this about Dixon though... I may have to take a look at him this year as a flier 

You are right that Woodhead has been less than stellar running between the tackles by his paltry 3.7 ypc over the last three years.  I don't think he will get the bulk of the carries on early downs but I think that he fits what Baltimore has been doing on offense for the last couple years.  I am sure they want to be more balanced but trotting West out every down isn't going to get you there.  I can see a scenario where Woodhead and West split carries 50/50 but Woodhead still gets 5-6 rec per game.  

After Dixon gets back it carries could get cut more but I think once you get used to having a guy like Woodhead they will keep feeding him the receptions.  
Yeah, but unless you drafted Dixon or Martin, who really cares about the first four weeks? I certainly don't want to be starting a 32 yo Woodhead in weeks 14-16. With the return of Dixon, I'll be shocked if Woodhead is getting 5 rec/gm. That's 80 rec on the year. As a team, they had 118 RB rec last year. I don't think Woodhead is getting 67% of them.

Yeah, but unless you drafted Dixon or Martin, who really cares about the first four weeks? I certainly don't want to be starting a 32 yo Woodhead in weeks 14-16. With the return of Dixon, I'll be shocked if Woodhead is getting 5 rec/gm. That's 80 rec on the year. As a team, they had 118 RB rec last year. I don't think Woodhead is getting 67% of them.
Those wins count just as much as weeks 10-13.  The season is long and what we think we know now will likely be wrong.  Woodhead is available late in drafts and offers solid production now with possible good production later.  Dixon is also cheap, but offers zero production now with possible good production later.  I would rather have Woodhead and make adjustments during the season as we get more information.

I like Dixon, but unless rosters are deep I can't see using a roster spot on him at any price.

I agree very much with you. Thanks for explaining further. I share your opinion of Dixon vs Gordon, however for different reasons... more of a down on Gordon than super high on Dixon point of view. 

Interesting to see this about Dixon though... I may have to take a look at him this year as a flier 
Mine's a combination of the two. I am down on Gordon, too. Dixon concerns me a little with the suspension and the slow start due to injury last year. Really would like to see what he could do with a healthy 16 games.

Those wins count just as much as weeks 10-13.  The season is long and what we think we know now will likely be wrong.  Woodhead is available late in drafts and offers solid production now with possible good production later.  Dixon is also cheap, but offers zero production now with possible good production later.  I would rather have Woodhead and make adjustments during the season as we get more information.

I like Dixon, but unless rosters are deep I can't see using a roster spot on him at any price.
Yeah, but all your players are (typically) healthy to start the season and bye weeks haven't hit yet. So to me the 1st four weeks matter the least as far as finding temporary values. I need my value guys later when injuries and byes hit. Even if I draft Martin as my RB2, I'd probably be subbing in someone like Abdullah rather than Woodhead as my RB2.

I primarily play in leagues with at least 20 roster spots, so I don't mind hanging into Dixon for 5-6 weeks to see what shakes out.

Yeah, but all your players are (typically) healthy to start the season and bye weeks haven't hit yet. So to me the 1st four weeks matter the least as far as finding temporary values. I need my value guys later when injuries and byes hit. Even if I draft Martin as my RB2, I'd probably be subbing in someone like Abdullah rather than Woodhead as my RB2.

I primarily play in leagues with at least 20 roster spots, so I don't mind hanging into Dixon for 5-6 weeks to see what shakes out.
There are many ways to build good rosters your way sounds good too.  I like taking chances on guys like Cook, Mixon or Abduhla, where there roles are not yet defined.  Hard to know what you will get early in the season and having a guy like Woodhead available can be handy if they don't get much volume to start the season. 

I play in a couple big money leagues with 15-16 roster spots, makes holding guys hard.  

Mine's a combination of the two. I am down on Gordon, too. Dixon concerns me a little with the suspension and the slow start due to injury last year. Really would like to see what he could do with a healthy 16 games.
Dixon out with a meniscus injury... change your opinion of Woodhead at all? 

For how long? He was already slated to miss 4 weeks due to the suspension.
6-8 weeks is the timeline but this is his 3rd knee injury in 12 months. It might be time to wonder if he can make it physically. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to beat you up too much over this, as you have had some really great calls. Not sure buying into the Chiefs RB situation will be one of them. Yes, Reid has coached several guys that were Top 10 fantasy backs (Staley, Westbrook, McCoy, and Charles). Do you see anyone on the Chiefs roster of the talent level as those guys?

If you were going to buy in on someone that is getting under drafted in a great situation, I would have thought you would have picked someone like Gillislee. The Patriots let Blount walk in search of someone better. Then they went out and signed Burkhead. But then they liked Gillislee even more and signed him after they already had Burkhead. IMO (and in NE's opinion), Gillislee is a significant upgrade over Blount. And we saw how Blount did last year (finished as RB7). In expert leagues, Gillislee's ADP is RB32 and 76th overall. I'd much rather have him than either of the KC backs (and especially not burning two picks on KC backs . . . Ware currently going as RB19 / 49th overall and Hunt at RB43 / 118 overall). IMO, Gillislee outproduces any KC back and will come cheaper. (And Gillisee doesn't have to get as many carries or TD's as Blount did to still way outproduce his draft slot.)
I LOVE Gill this year. I want him on every one of my teams. Let's hope he has a queit preseason. At times he looked better than shady last year. Patriots traded a 5th rounder for Gill and he is by far there best pure runner. 

I don't believe that Hyde is getting outright cut based on a pre-training camp report, if that's what you're asking.

I have no doubt the 49ers staff isn't committed to Hyde - none of my post was really about Hyde (although I thin he is a good RB). I just want to see some evidence that Joe Williams is actually an above replacement level RB before crowning him the future of the position there. The draft narrative may be significant, but as far as I can tell it's the only thing that his hype is based on. Oh, and the 49ers might have made an ill-advised pick. That's possible too.

By all means take a flier - you might hit. That's fine.....he's just not someone I'm personally interested in investing in.
I think that's pretty much my conclusion too  -flier-  I'm not so sure, I been much of a fan of Hyde..  But, I don't wanna discount his abilities in a poor fashion..  I'm including a Roto blurb which reflects the potential fumbling issue potential.. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12204/joe-williams But, I seen more!  He also caught only 20 passes in 19 games at Utah, dropping 5-of-27 catchable targets and fumbling seven times.  Think we're talking multiple flags..  draft slot (which disappears)  Fumbling (its all or nothing)  Receiver  >>  ?

Heres some link, which seems to indicate Williams, may in fact be the preferred back.. http://www.nothingbutniners.com/49ers/shanahans-running-back-preference/ Obviously, It seems like conflicting info.  Ya may enjoy seeing Matt Breida's SPARQ score  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/756160-rb-matt-breida-deep-dynasty-stash/

The 49ers best writers don't know much. They are talking about Vance McDonald being released which makes ZERO sense.  It would be the equivalent of betting $350 on a poker hand and then folding because someone raises you $65 more.

The 49ers best writers don't know much. They are talking about Vance McDonald being released which makes ZERO sense.  It would be the equivalent of betting $350 on a poker hand and then folding because someone raises you $65 more.
I'm no economist, but isn't this the definition of throwing good money after bad?

I'm no economist, but isn't this the definition of throwing good money after bad?
Relative to that awful roster, I don't think McDonald is bad at all. You've already put 3.5 million in this year for him, it's well worth $650k to keep him, see what he can do. The team is desperate for players.  Plus aren't they pretty close to the salary cap floor? Can they afford to cut him and not get penalized?

Relative to that awful roster, I don't think McDonald is bad at all. You've already put 3.5 million in this year for him, it's well worth $650k to keep him, see what he can do. The team is desperate for players.  Plus aren't they pretty close to the salary cap floor? Can they afford to cut him and not get penalized?
from what I've seen of him, McDonald is a decent TE with good hands & plays hard.  Not a 49rs homer so don't know if he is much of a blocker.  Maybe that is the reason?

from what I've seen of him, McDonald is a decent TE with good hands & plays hard.  Not a 49rs homer so don't know if he is much of a blocker.  Maybe that is the reason?
Maybe but again 49ers are one of the most talent needy teams in the league. It's hard to imagine they don't a spot for a TE with good hands who plays hard and has above average athleticism. The guy is 270 and runs a 4.69. 

So if Dixon goes on IR during the preseason, does he get credit for the 4 game suspension or does he have to serve that next year when he returns from IR?

Actually, McDonald has really bad hands , which is why they drafted Kittle and McDonald is in danger of being cut.  He has the ability to make some big plays and has become a pretty good blocker, but drops too many passes.  That said, I hope he makes the team.  Maybe his drops are concentration related and something that can be improved.  Plus, like him better than the alternatives.

efactor said:
Actually, McDonald has really bad hands , which is why they drafted Kittle and McDonald is in danger of being cut.  He has the ability to make some big plays and has become a pretty good blocker, but drops too many passes.  That said, I hope he makes the team.  Maybe his drops are concentration related and something that can be improved.  Plus, like him better than the alternatives.
I came in here to say this but also want to add that they just resigned McDonald so it is unlikely he will be cut.  That being said, Lynch has openly stated he hates McDonald's new contract.

I came in here to say this but also want to add that they just resigned McDonald so it is unlikely he will be cut.  That being said, Lynch has openly stated he hates McDonald's new contract.
The contract was bad, but also the 49ers were in danger of the not making the cap minimum and being penalized so they had to sign somebody. They can cut him next July at a much smaller cost. 

Seems like a 260 pound guy that can do this is useful, especially on an awful team

Big play big guy

The contract was bad, but also the 49ers were in danger of the not making the cap minimum and being penalized so they had to sign somebody. They can cut him next July at a much smaller cost. 

Seems like a 260 pound guy that can do this is useful, especially on an awful team

Big play big guy
Yeah, that's the big part of the frustration with him.  He makes a play like this and then drops a couple easy ones.  In this same game, he could have had ANOTHER 75 yard TD.  Got behind the defense and Gabbert laid one in perfectly (hard to believe I know) and clank, right off his hands.  He would have been off to the races.  Absolutely perfect pass, in stride and great touch.  Like he had too much time to think about catching it. 

Anyway, should get back on subject..............

So now we hear this on Martavis - doubt this has been factored into his ADP to date . . .

"In a statement released Thursday afternoon, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert relayed that "upon his conditional reinstatement in April, Bryant was made aware it was only the beginning of a process toward a return to being a full contributing member of the Steelers. We have been informed by the NFL that Martavis is still in the process of being fully reinstated."

Analysis: As a result, while the wideout will be permitted to take part in "off-the-field team activities at training camp, he will not be permitted to practice or play in any games." While there is nothing in the statement that would indicate that Bryant -- who was suspended last season -- has incurred another violation under the NFL's league's substance-abuse policy, evidently he still has additional hurdles to clear in advance of full reinstatement. When available, Bryant has as much per-play upside as any NFL wideout, but until it's established that he's actually allowed to play, the 25-year-old remains a fantasy wild card."

This is exactly what we were told at the time.  I think his current adp reflects an expectation that reinstatement would come by training camp.

So yes, the longer it takes to be reinstated from now, the lower he will slide...

Users who are viewing this thread