What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump linked into case with Kraft, human trafficking (1 Viewer)

Look, is anyone really going to be surprised if it turns out that, the minute that Trump won the election, he and everybody he knew started selling themselves to the highest bidders? Influence, connections, contracts, the works? 

We all suspect something like this happened, right? There’s already about a dozen examples. 

Do Trump supporters really think it's just a coincidence that Yang and Trump both happen to have ties to Kraft, and both happened to be watching Kraft's team at an exclusive event while sitting next to each other?

Last edited by a moderator:
An investigation starts with a crime and follows the facts

what you are talking about starts with a person and tries to find vague chaotic points of contact to concoct a crime.

that is not how it works (yet).  That is not how any of this works.  
:goodposting:

I just want to add that when these businesses are sold my experience is a lot of times the seller retains control. They are sold for tax purposes and the name of the owner is a family member. 
Wait, you think Yang’s partner Guiying Zhang, who is also partner in all her other businesses, might be related to Hua Zhang? That would be a big stretch. 

An investigation starts with a crime and follows the facts

what you are talking about starts with a person and tries to find vague chaotic points of contact to concoct a crime.

that is not how it works (yet).  That is not how any of this works.  
You mean like finding a house of prostitution that’s potentially involved in human trafficking and finding out all the owners and their associates to see if they’re involved?

You mean like finding a house of prostitution that’s potentially involved in human trafficking and finding out all the owners and their associates to see if they’re involved?
Let’s start with seeing if the case leads to the previous owner or perhaps others and go from there

It seems to me like some of this can be found by examination of public records. It should be easy to look up what other spas Yang owned, and cross-reference against any criminal complaints.  It might take a couple of days or weeks to do, but any investigative reporter worth their salt could figure this out. 

We should know within a few weeks if Yang has a trafficking history or not.  Don't even need to open an official investigation.

The Spa Founder Who Allegedly Sold Chinese Officials Access To Trump Is Looking To Roger Stone's Defenders For Help

Li "Cindy" Yang is expected to meet with a South Florida husband-wife duo to serve as her lawyer and spokesperson.

Li “Cindy” Yang, founder of a chain of Florida spas who was reportedly offering to sell Chinese officials access to President Donald Trump and his properties, is looking to hire a husband-wife duo involved in holding fundraisers and rallies for Roger Stone to serve as her lawyer and spokesperson, according to a source close to Yang.

Yang is expected to meet with South Florida lawyer Evan Turk, who along with his wife, Karyn Turk, a right-wing commentator and former Mrs. Florida, hosted a fundraiser happy hour for the Roger Stone Legal Fund earlier this month.

Karyn Turk, who calls herself a "huge fan" of Stone's, interviewed the now-indicted adviser to Trump on her show Eye on DC about his life, fashion, and Nixon tattoo. She was also among the group of people who rallied and prayed outside Stone's home after he was indicted in January as part of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.

In a phone interview with BuzzFeed News, Karyn Turk, who according to her website is also an online personal branding consultant, confirmed that Yang was looking to retain legal counsel and that she helps her husband's firm with public relations.

"I don’t think the real story is being told," Turk said. ...

this thread really needs to be the Yang Investigation or something because this is beginning to have a lot of strands. 

NYT article

Ms. Peranio said Ms. Yang had come to the spa where she worked at the time and helped fill out the check toward the president’s campaign. “I can’t say she was pushing me or not pushing me, but I worked there then,” she said, speaking at her home in Jupiter. “I was working there. I didn’t say no.”

Asked if Ms. Yang had reimbursed her for the $5,400, Ms. Peranio said, “I do not want to answer that question.” Reimbursing someone for a political contribution or contributing in the name of another person is illegal.

this thread really needs to be the Yang Investigation or something because this is beginning to have a lot of strands. 

NYT article

Ms. Peranio said Ms. Yang had come to the spa where she worked at the time and helped fill out the check toward the president’s campaign. “I can’t say she was pushing me or not pushing me, but I worked there then,” she said, speaking at her home in Jupiter. “I was working there. I didn’t say no.”

Asked if Ms. Yang had reimbursed her for the $5,400, Ms. Peranio said, “I do not want to answer that question.” Reimbursing someone for a political contribution or contributing in the name of another person is illegal.
There are a dozen legit scandals right now with this president, and this likely didn't even make network news. 

It's a straw donor fundraising scandal involving the President's campaign and also his property. Imagine if Gore had owned the temple where his scandal happened. How often does this happen at Maralago? It's almost a complete accident this has been discovered.

There are a dozen legit scandals right now with this president, and this likely didn't even make network news. 

It's a straw donor fundraising scandal involving the President's campaign and also his property. Imagine if Gore had owned the temple where his scandal happened. How often does this happen at Maralago? It's almost a complete accident this has been discovered.
To be fair, I'm not sure the Trump Campaign really had anything to do with this (necessarily). It appears to me that Yang had an idea to start up an influence peddling campaign and this is the formative stage being reported upon. 

It seems somewhere along the way she found the incredibly obvious ways to buy your way into hobnobbing with the Trumps, but these straw donors don't seem to be into that stage yet. Based on this article, it doesn't seem like she even focused on the Trumps until he'd won the nomination so this idea pre-dated Trump. 

To be fair, I'm not sure the Trump Campaign really had anything to do with this (necessarily). It appears to me that Yang had an idea to start up an influence peddling campaign and this is the formative stage being reported upon. 

It seems somewhere along the way she found the incredibly obvious ways to buy your way into hobnobbing with the Trumps, but these straw donors don't seem to be into that stage yet. Based on this article, it doesn't seem like she even focused on the Trumps until he'd won the nomination so this idea pre-dated Trump. 
Maybe I’m wrong but the comp to Gore and the temple fundraiser from the 90s seems appropriate. And Gore and the campaign weren’t charged then. - The only thing is it was happening on Trump property, that just adds a twist in terms of what they could have been aware of.

With classified filing, feds eye national security case against Mar-a-lago intruder

For the first time, federal prosecutors have disclosed they are developing a potential national security case against Yujing Zhang, the 33-year-old Chinese woman charged with unlawfully entering Mar-a-Lago with a stash of electronic equipment.

They asked a federal judge to allow them to file “classified information” under seal without the public — or the defendant — seeing it. If the motion is granted, prosecutors will present the evidence directly to the federal judge in Zhang’s trespassing case during a private, closed meeting in the judge’s chambers.

The prosecution’s motion indicates that she is a focus of a widening U.S. probe of possible Chinese espionage and suggests that authorities have evidence she was likely not simply a “bumbling tourist” who accidentally found her way into President Donald Trump’s private estate in Palm Beach.

The motion by a counter-intelligence prosecutor with the U.S. Attorney’s Office suggests that authorities have relevant classified evidence that could pose a risk to national security should anyone — including Zhang — ever see it.

Zhang’s case is part of a broader federal investigation into possible Chinese spying at Mar-a-Lago that the Miami Herald revealed is also focused on Republican donor Li “Cindy” Yang, who sold access to the president and his family on Chinese social media. Yang is also under investigation by the Justice Department for bundling contributions from Chinese nationals to Trump’s re-election campaign, despite a ban on such foreign contributions.

On Tuesday, Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin asked U.S. District Judge Roy Altman to allow the government to seal the sensitive evidence in the Zhang case under Section 4 of the Classified Information Procedures Act. The law, designed to protect matters and methods of national security, allows the government to present evidence directly to the judge without disclosing it to the defendant or public.

According to Section 4, “The court, upon a sufficient showing, may authorize the United States to delete specified items of classified information from documents to be made available to the defendant through discovery.”

According to Harvard Law’s Harry Graver writing for Lawfare blog, the Classified Information Procedures Act “establishes a number of key procedures that facilitate a balance between the fundamental rights of defendants in criminal trials and the government’s interests in keeping classified information out of the wrong hands.”

Steven Aftergood, director for the Project on Government Secrecy at the Federation of American Scientists, who has written about CIPA provision, said the nature of the classified evidence in the Zhang case is likely one of two things. “Logically, it’s either about the facility [Mar-a-Lago] and its security or its about her and what the government knows about her and how,” Aftergood told the Miami Herald.

In the latter case, Aftergood said the government could have information about things like Zhang’s travel or her interactions with other parties that may be classified if it was gathered as part of a federal investigation.

However, he said it’s too soon to assume the government has implicated Zhang in espionage based on this new filing. “All we can say that we know for sure is that the case implicates classified information,” Aftergood said.

Zhang, who was arrested attempting to enter Mar-a-Lago with a trove of electronics on March 30, was charged by indictment with two federal crimes: unlawful entry and lying to a federal agent. Although no charges have been brought under the Espionage Act, prosecutors for the U.S. Attorney’s Office have always hinted that the case involved matters of national security.

At a hearing on Tuesday, Zhang — against the judge’s recommendation — was allowed to fire her defense attorneys and represent herself at trial after her lawyers with the federal public defender’s office said she was mentally competent to do so. Zhang’s trial has tentatively been set for mid-August. Zhang has no formal training in United States law.

March 30 was not the first time Zhang had come to the United States to visit a Trump-branded property. As the Herald previously reported, Zhang had traveled to the United States on two previous occasions — July 2016 and January 2017 — both times staying at a Trump hotel in New York City. Then in March she flew to South Florida via Newark International Airport to visit Mar-a-Lago.

Secret Service agents say when Zhang was questioned she first indicated she had come to the club to use the pool. At a second check point she changed her story, saying she was there to attend an event. She was arrested when a receptionist checked the registry and no such event existed.

Zhang’s former appointed public defenders, later fired, presented evidence that Zhang had paid to attend a fundraiser gala originally planned for March 30. The gala, intended to raise money for children in Africa, had been billed on Chinese social media by South Florida massage entrepreneur Cindy Yang as a chance to mingle with the American elite and members of Trump’s family. According to her former attorneys, Zhang had bought a ticket from Yang’s associate, Charles Lee, who on various occations had bundled Mar-a-Lago event tickets promoted by Yang into “business diplomacy packages” targeting Chinese business people looking for opportunities overseas.

According to evidence later presented in court, Lee had informed Zhang prior to her departure from China that the March 30 event had been canceled. Zhang had even asked for her money back.

Trump and his family were staying at Mar-a-Lago for the weekend when Zhang attempted to make entry on March 30. At the time of her arrest however, Trump was not at the club. He was playing golf at the nearby Trump International Golf Course in West Palm Beach.

Because she has discharged her attorneys and remains in custody, Zhang could not be reached for comment. The federal public defenders office told the Herald it does not comment on pending cases.

Users who are viewing this thread