What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump resigns - what happens next? (1 Viewer)

If he broke the law, you enforce it
agreed - I'm fine with Trump being impeached if there were wrong doings of impeachable nature

and if there is nothing then Democrats need to apologize nationally for the head hunt and those who demanded it can step down for taking this country through 2 years of witch hunting

I really feel like this depends on the results of the numerous investigations taking place.  If the investigations wind up showing that he has directly committed serious crimes (money laundering, conspiring against the United States, steering US policy based on personal financial enrichment, etc) then I think it hurts us more to let him walk.  Are we going to just make it an accepted norm that if a criminal can achieve the presidency before being convicted of crimes, he is absolved of those crimes?  That would seem to fly in the face of the idea that no person is above the law in this country.  It's all rumor and speculation right now, but if Trump has truly been involved in some of the crimes that are speculated to have taken place, he will far exceed what Nixon did.

I get why you feel this way, and depending on what the results of the investigations are, I might be there as well.  I cannot say this definitively though until we know what exactly he was aware of and involved in.

As far as anger and resentment, I don't think that is going anywhere, regardless.  As has been said many times, Trump is a symptom, not the illness.  The Trump base, the ones who will stick with him no matter what, aren't necessarily loyal to Trump the man.  It's the idea's he espouses, and when the next carnival barker steps up saying the same things, they will latch on to him.  The anger and resentment is baked into that segment of society at this point, and the idea that we should tread lightly to avoid upsetting them seems counterproductive.
:goodposting:

You captured my feelings exactly. I don't think we should commit to anything right now, but I definitely don't want to rule anything out either. Like you, I get where Tim is coming from, but I also think he ignores the potential danger of sweeping it under the rug. That's particularly true if it comes out that Trump conspired with Russia to win the 2016 election. That would be so corrosive to our democracy that to fail to do something about it would be a dangerous abdication of duty, and would be an open invitation for the next skeezy character to do the same thing and just be a little more careful about getting caught.

Users who are viewing this thread