What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trying to Quit Soda (1 Viewer)

Yeah, that's a consistent finding... but if intermittent fasting is how you get yourself to reduce your calories, it works.
I think one of the points of the study is IF doesn’t facilitate caloric restriction, at least in the trial participants.

I think one of the points of the study is IF doesn’t facilitate caloric restriction, at least in the trial participants.

yep.  that's the kicker. 

i specified that i do 1,500 daily calories during mine ... i mean, it's not gonna work if folks are eating 2 pizzas and a meatball parm washed down with a six pack, even if one does a strict 20/4. 

common sense, no?

yep.  that's the kicker. 

i specified that i do 1,500 daily calories during mine ... i mean, it's not gonna work if folks are eating 2 pizzas and a meatball parm washed down with a six pack, even if one does a strict 20/4. 

common sense, no?
Sorry, my wording was unclear.

The study found IF added nothing to caloric restriction as a dietary plan. In other words, people who reduced their calories lost the same amount of weight, whether or not they limited meals to 8 hours a day. And there was no indication IF improved the ability to restrict calories.

The study is far from perfect, but it effectively showed no benefit from time-restricted eating. But if it works for you, by all means keep it up. As long as it brings you closer to a healthy weight, any diet you maintain is better than remaining overweight.

The study found IF added nothing to caloric restriction as a dietary plan. In other words, people who reduced their calories lost the same amount of weight, whether or not they limited meals to 8 hours a day. And there was no indication IF improved the ability to restrict calories.

The study is far from perfect, but it effectively showed no benefit from time-restricted eating. But if it works for you, by all means keep it up. As long as it brings you closer to a healthy weight, any diet you maintain is better than remaining overweight.

IF is an added discipline. 

just as getting off one's keester 6 days a week to move is. 

just as caloric restriction is. 

discipline is the right answer, without it, there will be failure. 

i needed to get down back to 180-ish, and roughly 6 weeks of my regiment delivered - now i'm on cruise/maintenance.

for those considering this, understand that there's a fine line between discipline and deprivation ... but the former works ... and the latter is a trap door to continued failures. 

get moving, ya chubby bastids! 

:lol:

seltzer water, plain or flavored, is just so awful. Don't understand how anyone likes that crap.
Like I said, it’s an acquired taste. I loved drinking soda, but all that sugar is what made me fat. I cut back on sugar, processed foods, and on excess carbs, and I dropped a lot of weight. Now, I still like sweet stuff, and I can crush a sleeve of Oreos if I’m not careful. However, when I look in the mirror, I like the guy staring back better than when I was carrying all that weight. 

This is what I have been focusing on. My fiancé is very health conscious - a lot more than I am - and she's got me reading labels before I buy anything. Cut out a lot of cereal, dairy and grains, sort of a modified whole 30 (I don't do diets but agree with the concept of eating whole foods instead of processed.) My teenaged daughter is similarly hyper conscious of my intake so I'm blessed in that respect. Just doesn't come naturally for me, or maybe i should say I didn't make it enough of a priority in my younger days.

I've thankfully been off soda for a good 25 years, but my ex-wife (non-pop drinker) used to buy me two 12-packs of Mountain Dew every week. 3.5 a day! My big goals this year are to eliminate as much sugar as possible from my diet - hence the label reading - and to generally move toward a more plant-based diet.

My numbers at my annual physical were great, but I'm carrying more weight than ever (it's all relative - my waistline was 27-29 inches until I hit my mid-30s in age, and it's been 31-33" since I moved to NYC in 1999. I think the single biggest culprit for me is half and half in my coffee (I drink an embarrassingly large amount of iced coffee daily.) Those of us from the midwest often find it hard to kick dairy completely, it's such an integral part of our diet.

to that point

calories in <<<<<<<<<<<<<< calories out 

no matter how you make it happen. 

except meth. i think society frowns on that, but if you really need to lose weight fast..

...but if you really need to lose weight fast..
Back in the day I used to supervise about 10 people, more than half women. So one day I'm chit chatting with one of the employees and I had been dropping some lbs so she said she had a wedding coming up in about 2 weeks and wanted to drop 20lbs before before the blessed event. She asked what my recommendation was and without thinking I said, "cut something off." I laughed and laughed and laughed in my head but apparently that was the wrong thing to say out loud. Who knew?

Ive switched to the mini 8oz cans even though it’s less cost effective.  I don’t drink much pop anyway though, maybe 1 with Friday night pizza or whenever I have popcorn.  Usually split one with the wife too…usually just want that sugary carbonation to cut the salt and grease.  Also whenever we get fast food I’ll suck down a large coke.  I’ll do seltzers as well but sometimes I want the sweetness 

Bigger problem is in the summer I’ll down a couple gatorades doing yard work.  I just can’t do anything with fake sugar though, including any alcoholic seltzer’s 

also drink a lot of beer and booze so that’s why I try to stick to coffee and water for most other beverages other than what I posted above 

I made the switch to the naturally flavored seltzers.  I never liked them and still dont really but I've been doing it for a couple of years now.  You can do it.

I was usually good for a couple of diet cokes a day.

I replaced soda/fruit juices with Bai. 10 calories per bottle and only 1 gram of sugar.

I lost weight and felt better immediately.

Not to pick on you, but why do people think they’re entitled to a vice? To be fair, I kinda feel that way about speeding, but would never tell a cop who pulled me over about all the illegal things I don’t do.

Also, coffee is really healthy. Not the kind laden with extra sugar, cream and artificial flavorings; plain old coffee. After water, probably the healthiest beverage.

I can’t stand it, but need to try to acquire the taste. 

That's fair. I meant it only as it is my weakness. Seems everyone has a weakness. Mine is pop.

So how's this going @ChiefD?
Not bad. I've been limiting myself to one a day and usually later in the day. 

I had to cheat this morning as we were at a hockey tourney this past weekend and didn't get back to KC till 2:00am and I had to be up at 6 for work. So I grabbed a fountain coke on my way to work this morning. 

But, I've barely had any other sweets other than that one soda since I started this thread. So all in all a success so far. 

I had to cheat this morning as we were at a hockey tourney this past weekend and didn't get back to KC till 2:00am and I had to be up at 6 for work. So I grabbed a fountain coke on my way to work this morning. 

But, I've barely had any other sweets other than that one soda since I started this thread. So all in all a success so far. 
When I lived in MN, there was a gas station with great min-mart right on the way to work.  On certain days I would grab myself (and a couple of co-workers) a giant 44oz Coke or whatever.  I think I was on a Cherry Pepsi kick then.  Delicious, and my version of coffee at that point in my life.

Now I'm on a schedule where I drink coffee when I work from home (Tuesdays and Fridays), a Monster energy drink Mondays and Wednesdays (these are terrible for you, too), and a hot chocolate from Starbucks on Thursdays on my way into the office.

Still limited on the soda.  I did have a rather large Mtn. Dew with my chili dogs at lunch today though.  :oldsunsure:  

One a day is not how you quit.  I did that the last 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread