What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter as a resource? (1 Viewer)

SameSongNDance

Footballguy
I'm looking to expand on my fantasy resources and have heard Twitter is the way to go. Admittedly, I don't have a Twitter account nor do I understand the phenomenon but it seems undoubtedly useful. I'm really curious as to who it is you guys follow for up to date news.

It's a good resource if you find quality accounts to follow. Which isn't hard since the site is pretty good with recommendations. Most of the tweets I get are links to other stories. I just use these people to find stories that meet my interests. Sometimes you'll get pictures or sportswriters who break stories and post it (trades, injuries, breaking news, etc).

It's a good way to get news quickly.

I use it religiously, I think it was bloom that wrote an article on this a couple weeks back. I just went to his account followed him and all the lists he had. It is awesome getting up to the minute news. I never did twitter but this Imhas been eye opening for me I would recommend it as long as your not in my league lol

It seems crazy to me that people here aren't using it. You could follow for fantasy football purposes only and it'd be incredibly useful.

Shefter, Mort, Sigmund Bloom, and then beat writers from every team and your twitter timeline is nothing but up to the minute FF news and nothing else. Sign up today and I don't think you'll regret it. Always check for the blue check mark next to a Twitter name. It verifies that it's the real person and not a fake account. Tons of fake accounts out there.

I'm looking to expand on my fantasy resources and have heard Twitter is the way to go. Admittedly, I don't have a Twitter account nor do I understand the phenomenon but it seems undoubtedly useful. I'm really curious as to who it is you guys follow for up to date news.
Just got me a Twitter account.

Other than Bloom, Shefty and Mort who else is out there that I should start following.

Other than Bloom, Shefty and Mort who else is out there that I should start following.
I follow all the team twitter accounts. Irsay's twitter is always hilarious. After that I just went to the major FF sites and followed all their lead writers. I've subsequently grown to 375 follows based primarily on who those people conversed with and retweeted and going over a couple of "football news people you should follow" type lists.

I then weeded a few guys like Jay Glazer out because while he has some nice scoops his twitter is a hive of scum and villiany and discussions about the quality of hookers he sees wandering the halls at his hotels and it just gets in the way of the football news.

Dr. Jene Bramel, Cecil Lammey, Matt Waldman . . .

Also, look at who they are following, and you will see a host of beat writers, fantasy analysts, NFL Insiders, Local Radio show hosts, etc...

The names you mentioned are all great. I also like Evan Silva.

The names you mentioned are all great. I also like Evan Silva.
Silva's good. There's also a lot of NFL Network and NFL.com guys too: MovetheSticks, RapSheet, JeffDarlington, GreggRosenthal, ChrisWesseling (former FBG poster)

Great thread - thanks. I, too, am toying with finally giving twitter a try and after reading this I guess there's no reason not to sign up!

If following them from my phone do I just open the twitter app and their tweets will show up in my feed or I have to go to their page?

Twitter newbie

In no particular order, here are the ones I've enjoyed the most and gleaned the most information from in the past couple of years:

Adam Harstad ‏ @AdamHarstad

Smart Football ‏ @smartfootball

John Middlekauff ‏ @JohnMiddlekauff

Matt Waldman ‏ @MattWaldman

rotoViz ‏ @rotoViz

Alen Dumonjić ‏ @Dumonjic_Alen

Darren Page ‏ @DarrenPage15

Andrew Parsons ‏ @ap575

ALEC ‏ @illmALEC

robneyer ‏ @robneyer

Ian Rapoport ‏ @RapSheet

NFL Philosophy ‏ @NFLosophy

Mike Clay ‏ @MikeClayNFL

Ryan Boyer ‏ @RyanPBoyer

Joel Corry ‏ @corryjoel

Nathan Jahnke ‏ @PFF_NateJahnke

Cecil Lammey ‏ @cecillammey

Daniel Jeremiah ‏ @MoveTheSticks

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

Dane Brugler ‏ @dpbrugler

Rotoworld NFL Draft ‏ @Rotoworld_Draft

Josh Norris ‏ @JoshNorris

Gil Brandt ‏ @Gil_Brandt

Ross Miles ‏ @PFF_RossMiles

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏ @SandoESPN

Jody Smith ‏ @JodySmith_NFL

Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer

Sam Monson ‏ @PFF_Sam

Matt Miller ‏ @nfldraftscout

Football Outsiders ‏ @fboutsiders

Matt Williamson ‏ @WilliamsonNFL

SI_DougFarrar ‏ @SI_DougFarrar

Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Pro Football Focus ‏ @PFF

Chris Wesseling ‏ @ChrisWesseling

Sigmund Bloom ‏ @SigmundBloom

Jene Bramel ‏ @JeneBramel

I don't actively tweet, but I keep Twitter open on my desktop using Janetter, so I can watch it while I do other things. Smartphones make checking it a breeze during downtime. Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder how you ever survived without a constant stream of football discussion. =)

Ok I signed up but how are you supposed to gather all this info with just short statements posted by folks?Am I missing something? I'm sure I am probably not using it right.Very low tech here.

jah77 said:
If you are directly on their twitter profile, you will see everything, including all their replies to people. But if you have an account and follow them, you will only see their tweets and retweets on your timeline and not all their replies. Hope that helps.
^^What he said. You don't go to the person's Twitter page. You follow them with your account, and then their posts come to you.

In addition, I highly recommend finding a Twitter client that works for you. While the standard smartphone Twitter app works great, on a desktop I've had good and bad experiences with various clients. As I said above, I use Janetter. It's free, low maintenance, and easily readable with the right theme. Just open it up and watch everything scroll past. It's world-opening.

Great thread! Finally took the steps to set it up. All I use it for is fantasy football and I'm amazed how quickly news gets disseminated. Honestly, I can't believe it took me so long to get around to doing this! Thanks to all who contributed within this thread - much obliged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont use twitter at all but there is a cool feature on yahoo

Go to Research tab > Twitter Intelligence

I believe it lists all posts for players on your roster.

Users who are viewing this thread