What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Type 1 Diabetes (2 Viewers)

I mean care up until about 25 years ago involved shots, exclusively.  35 years ago rapid acting insulin had not been developed, and 45 years ago you were peeing on sticks rather than doing a blood stick.  

I don't know how anyone survived with the standard of care from the 70s and 80s.  Let alone any time before that.
Boy, can I attest to that. I remember in the 70's I would pee in a cup and that was before a meal and then treatment was you would just not eat so much if you were higher. I would take one shot of NPH in the morning and that was it. Think about that, for most of the day you basically were without insulin and feeling like poop. Finger sticks and fast acting insulin were game changers, but I was really hesitant to go to four shots a day (like I take today), but ultimately I did. The thing I remember most about the 70's (and the thing that has created my phobia to this day) were the blood tests. They gauge of needles were nothing like today and I can remember my first ones when I was younger---seeing that huge needle going in my arm drawing blood--uggh. 45 years later, I have to lay down to get blood drawn or I am going out . 

I probably should look into some of the newer advances such as a CGM or pump, but I just hate the idea of having something stuck in me 24/7. I am clumsy  and I can just see myself tearing stuff out as I sleep  

What was care like at the earliest point you remember?
Diagnosed October 1969. I remember when I was on the hospital then that there was a kid a year older than me that had lost a leg from getting it ran over by a train  :sadbanana: . I had the same doctor through age 18. My mother knew what she was doing and thinking back on it, she probably knew as much about it as was possible. So between them they did me right. Clinitest Found this on it. Ah, the memories. I don't remember how many shots I got, but think I got one in the morning and 1 at night before bed. And maybe a small amount of insulin if  I was high at dinner. Continued 2 shots a day for many years, as I didn't see any doctor for anythiung through most of my 20's or did any testing. Never was a big junk food eater which likely helped as well as being active in sports, golf, bowling and anything else with friends. My late 20's, early 30's doctors never explaoned anything but I had it long enough and figured I knew wht I was doing. A1C tests were always around 7.0. Current doctor(s), since early 2000's are the best. And they care. Have learned a lot the last 20 years. Since I've had the pump/sensor my A1C's have been 6.0-6.2. Have a phsically active job which I like and will spend the rest of my working days there.

My youngest (with T1D) is now in high school and has only one career plan: endocrinologist.  It's so cool that people like Meininger get to survive long enough and be motivated enough to push toward a cure.

Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for VX-264, a Novel Encapsulated Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes

Start putting together a guest list for your Type 1 free party. Seriously. Sure, 5 years out, but you can see it from here.

Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for VX-264, a Novel Encapsulated Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes

– Vertex to initiate a Phase 1/2 clinical trial in the coming months –

– VX-264 is the second investigational program in Vertex’s pipeline containing stem cell-derived, fully differentiated pancreatic islet cells for the treatment of type 1 diabetes –

– VX-264 program does not require immunosuppression –

Business Wire

BOSTON -- March 9, 2023

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated (Nasdaq: VRTX) today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has cleared the Investigational New Drug Application (IND) for VX-264, a stem cell-derived, fully differentiated pancreatic islet cell therapy encapsulated into a Vertex-developed, immunoprotective device with the potential to treat type 1 diabetes (T1D). The VX-264 program does not require the use of immunosuppression, which may broaden the population of people with T1D that this investigational therapy could reach.

Vertex plans to initiate a Phase 1/2 clinical trial in the first half of 2023 to study the safety, tolerability and efficacy of VX-264 in patients with T1D. The company previously received approval from Health Canada on the Clinical Trial Application (CTA) for VX-264, and the Phase 1/2 trial is ongoing in Canada.

“VX-264 uses the same stem cell-derived pancreatic islet cells as our VX-880 program where we’ve already demonstrated proof-of-concept, with the addition of a proprietary immunoprotective device that allows us to eliminate the need for immunosuppression,” said Bastiano Sanna, Ph.D., Executive Vice President and Chief of Cell and Genetic Therapies at Vertex. “We are excited to see our second program in T1D advancing into the clinic and look forward to bringing transformative, if not curative, therapies to T1D patients who are waiting.”

Vertex is pursuing multiple investigational approaches using stem cell-derived islets with the aim of replacing the insulin-producing islet cells that are destroyed in people with T1D. Vertex’s first clinical investigational program in T1D, VX-880, is a stem cell-derived, fully differentiated, insulin-producing islet cell replacement therapy used in combination with immunosuppression. Vertex has demonstrated clinical proof-of-concept in the VX-880 program, and the Phase 1/2 clinical study is ongoing in the U.S. and Canada.

About VX-264

VX-264 is an investigational cell therapy in which allogeneic human stem cell-derived islets are encapsulated in a channel array device designed to shield the cells from the body’s immune system. VX-264 is designed to be surgically implanted and is currently being evaluated for patients with T1D.

About the VX-264 Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial

The clinical trial is a Phase 1/2, single-arm, open-label study in patients who have T1D. This will be a sequential, multi-part clinical trial to evaluate the safety, tolerability and efficacy of VX-264. Approximately 17 patients will be enrolled in the global clinical trial.

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread