What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Type 1 Diabetes (1 Viewer)

We don't have a pump.  Doctor encouraged us to go this route first.  Sounds like an annoyance though.  How do the sensors penetrate the skin?  Or does it?  I'm looking at the pamphlet now.
It's the same way the old minimed did, a 20mm needle with canula.  

I can't imagine using this without a pump.  I don't see the value because if you are doing something like lantus/humalog then you can't fine tune your dosages enough to make this have value.  

It's the same way the old minimed did, a 20mm needle with canula.  

I can't imagine using this without a pump.  I don't see the value because if you are doing something like lantus/humalog then you can't fine tune your dosages enough to make this have value.  
We've got the paperwork for the pump.  He's got to take some test and submit it back to the doctor.  I guess the value in using DEXCOM would be less finger pricks?  

Doesn't the Dexcom let you know if blood sugar is trending high or low to warn you?  Sorry if it's a dumb question.  We looked into it but it was too  much at the time ($1000) and my endo didn't think it was very accurate.  Appreciate the real life review of it.

Doesn't the Dexcom let you know if blood sugar is trending high or low to warn you?  Sorry if it's a dumb question.  We looked into it but it was too  much at the time ($1000) and my endo didn't think it was very accurate.  Appreciate the real life review of it.
I mean here's my thought on the thing.  

Sites

• Annoying to carry a new device and another infusion site.  The infusion site needs extra tape or it falls off in a few days.  Annoying.
  • Infusion sites leave a fairly decent mark and lasts a month or so after removal.  Can't really put them on your arm because need tape just to keep it from falling off.
  • All and all comfortable if it goes right and the tape goes well.   Better to have someone help you if you want to put it in your upper ### or something.
Accuracy

• Decentish.  First day is garbage.  It gets better on the second day and then deteriorates at about day 14.  It will flag you to change your site I believe at day 7, but you can ignore it.
  • Great to determine long term patterns, not momentary point in time.  Are you going up/down between meals, over/under bolus for meals.  Ovomernight trends, where is your peak dawn phenomenon, things like that.  
Software

• Decent, and the app is decent too on your phone.  I assume it's gotten alot better.  And will supposedly work with ominpod soon if it hasn't already.

I'll go back and read through this thread, but figured I'd ask here first and hope for some replies.  I submitted the paperwork for a DEXCOM and have heard back from them already.  The order is in and has been submitted to something called "Edge Park".  My feeling is once they talk to my insurance, I'll be facing an out of pocket expense of around $900.  Any tips on how I can get this lowered?  Call the insurance?  What have you or your spouses done to help lower the out of pocket expense on devices like this?  

Thanks guys.
No tips to help with this, sorry.  I can say that everything we look at makes it seem that we should be paying $1200 for Enlite sensors, but there's some cryptic note that just says "adjustment" that drops it to $400.  We think it might be one of those "you don't have insurance, so we won't gouge you like we would an insurance company" things.

Our son has the Medtronics pump that talks to Enlite sensors, and it's been great.  We never used Dexcom.

I mean here's my thought on the thing.  

Sites

• Annoying to carry a new device and another infusion site.  The infusion site needs extra tape or it falls off in a few days.  Annoying. [TICK] Yup.  It's worse in the summer, and taekwondo and soccer don't help either.  Turns our our son is allergic to the adhesive on most medical tapes, too.
  • Infusion sites leave a fairly decent mark and lasts a month or so after removal.  Can't really put them on your arm because need tape just to keep it from falling off. [TICK] Yup.  This is worse for super-skinny kids.  You need a little bit of fat for a sensor site, and he has very few spots he can use.  There's a spot on each arm that does work for him, though.
  • All and all comfortable if it goes right and the tape goes well.   Better to have someone help you if you want to put it in your upper ### or something. [TICK] We check pretty much daily and will retape if anything looks loose in the tape.  This can extend sensor life.  Note that we were told not to go beyond 7 days due to the body doing some scarring on the sites, which can make that site unusable in the future.  We follow that.
Accuracy

• Decentish.  First day is garbage.  It gets better on the second day and then deteriorates at about day 14.  It will flag you to change your site I believe at day 7, but you can ignore it. [TICK] I'd say it's not a predictable pattern for us - the first day works fine after the startup calibrations.  It's important to time the start of the site properly, though - don't put in a new sensor just as you send them off to school and expect the calibrations to go well.
  • Great to determine long term patterns, not momentary point in time.  Are you going up/down between meals, over/under bolus for meals.  Ovomernight trends, where is your peak dawn phenomenon, things like that.  [TICK] Agreed.  It's more for trends that let you know how to adjust your background dosing and meal dosing ratios throughout the day.  When you have a sensor that's really tracking well, you can use it as a decent guide about whether testing is needed or not.  When our boy does sports, if it's tracking well and he's relatively high, I don't necessarily have to test him at halftime.  It's great if you have one that will talk to a phone - I watch my son's numbers all through his sports from the sideline, which is great.  Also, we can go out to dinner, leaving the responsible teenager in charge, and watch his number - if things start to to awry, we can call and guide them through it or call off the dinner.  Without it, we wouldn't even try a date.
Software

• Decent, and the app is decent too on your phone.  I assume it's gotten alot better.  And will supposedly work with ominpod soon if it hasn't already. [TICK] One software flaw in Medtronic is that if an alarm occurs, but is cleared before the next push to the phone, you have no way of knowing it happened.  You only see alarms that are active when the push happens (something like every 9 minutes).  But the pump software, the trending software (bluetooth download to PC), and the phone software are very well done IMO.  
Comments from the Medtronic/Enlite perspective in bold.

Well, my wife is struggling a bit as of late.  She's actually cut down quite a bit in the last 6 months or so.  Dropped 6-7 pounds and this seems to be making the treatment a bit more finicky.  

Plan right now is to drop the omnipod and get on the priority waitlist for the 670g.  I think ultimately we will be swapping back and forth from omnipod/670g depending on the circumstances.  Omnipod has been much more reliable as of late, but the general control has gotten to the point where need a CGM system. 

Dexcom, while effective just doesn't quite have the value since it doesn't "talk" to the meter leading to some treatment confusion.  The 670g having the ability to stop both highs and lows automatically seems like a great reason to wear two sites, while there isn't a compelling reason to do a Dexcom+Omnipod combo at this time.

Well, my wife is struggling a bit as of late.  She's actually cut down quite a bit in the last 6 months or so.  Dropped 6-7 pounds and this seems to be making the treatment a bit more finicky.  

Plan right now is to drop the omnipod and get on the priority waitlist for the 670g.  I think ultimately we will be swapping back and forth from omnipod/670g depending on the circumstances.  Omnipod has been much more reliable as of late, but the general control has gotten to the point where need a CGM system. 

Dexcom, while effective just doesn't quite have the value since it doesn't "talk" to the meter leading to some treatment confusion.  The 670g having the ability to stop both highs and lows automatically seems like a great reason to wear two sites, while there isn't a compelling reason to do a Dexcom+Omnipod combo at this time.
Hope she gets better real soon.  

Comments from the Medtronic/Enlite perspective in bold.
I'm just now seeing this, but I wanted to thank you both very much for the time and thoughtfulness of your posts.  I agree, it makes no sense to get him a CGM system without a pump.  We will be sitting down with him to take the test his doctor gave him and submit that before his next visit to trend towards a pump.  

We had a pretty big scare the other night when we had family in town.  He got carried away and like all the rest of the kids in the house, he wanted to enjoy the sugary treats that my in-laws love to bring over.  It was a birthday party and we told him to account for extra treats with more insulin and be diligent, but he ate way more candy/cake whatever than he should have.  When he tested his blood before bed, the sensor gave off a warning sign and he was above 600.  Scared him to death.  

Sometimes I feel like we have a decent handle on this and that with 4 other kids including twins under two, we're even doing a good job.  But damn, this scared me too; I'm sitting around having a good time thinking all is well and he comes down in tears because of his blood.  Sobered me up real fast and a reminder that we have to stay diligent on a 12 year old with T1D.

Frustrating day yesterday. I am not a poster child for T1 diabetics and I don't hold myself out as one, but as someone who is still alive after having this disease for 40 years, I would like to think I sort of know what I am doing.

Long story short, this last year has been tough--dealing with the fallout of my dad losing his battle with cancer, helping my 80 year old mom try to adapt to life without him (he died just months shy of their 60th wedding anniversary) and trying to get my daughter into college, this has been a busy/stressful/exhausting year. As such, I have not seen my doctor since October. I have consumed a little (well alot) more beer than I normally do and I have managed to gain about 15-18 pounds. That being said, I have kept up my diabetic regiment and have not missed taking my blood pressure or cholesterol meds. 

Well my refills or lack thereof on my meds finally caught up with me and I had to go see my doc. I knew he was going to be mad so my BP was up when i got there--126/86 and my A1C was 7.5. Well he comes in and basically loses his mind. He starts screaming at me about how poor shape I am in and he actually went out and I could hear him yelling at his nurses for authorizing refills for me in the past. He then comes in and starts telling me this story about how the Feds have changed the rules and now if patients who have high BP or diabetes and don't have tight control, then he is only allowed to bill insurance a lesser amount per this patient vs a patient who has tighter control. So he basically threatened to fire me because he can't make as much money off me and I will be blackballed from obtaining a new doctor because they will know about me. Now doctors can fire patients, i get that, but because I am affecting his per patient billing costs, to me, seems wrong.

My BP is always 120/80 or lower--I just think I was elevated a little yesterday because of the anxiety of the appointment. So I am not worried about that.  But my A1C has never been below 7.0 EVER.I am comfortable with it with around 7.1/7.3. For years the ADA standard for perfect control was 7.0 and it wasn't until recently they came up with this 6.5 or lower stuff. I am just going to jump through the hoops for the next 3 months with him, but I am going to actively look for another doctor. I looked yesterday and his WebMD reviews all reflect a similar theme--"rude, condescending and egotistical"

Keep in mind he's feeling the squeeze too.  He could have used a better tact, but  reimbursement for everyone in healthcare has become tied to patient outcomes.  And anything medicare implements, private payers are sure to follow.  If he's a doucher on the reg, then leave.  Or maybe it was a one off?

Sounds like a %^&*@! to me.  Mr R's doctor is a mature adult who doesn't behave like that at all.  Definitely time to get a new doc.

Edit:  I have no idea what the site thinks I wrote.  Maybe I just found a new word you can't use here.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had an eventful night on Thursday.  My son came home from taekwondo practice and his BS was very high (329).  I had him check ketones and they were as high as the testing sticks can indicate.  He probably has ketones about twice per year if not sick, and then only low levels.  I changed his infusion set in case there was a blockage in his tubing, then gave him some carbs and had him dose insulin.  The pump threw an M-ERR for the first time.  I called Medtronic, and after a little troubleshooting, they said it's a dead pump.  A new pump would arrive on Friday by noon.

I wasn't sure if the pump had delivered, but it must have - son's BS was 90.  But the ketones were still there, so I called the endocrinologist's on-call number.  The endo called back and had me give him 45 carbs and needle dose, and we had to break out the levemir from the back of the fridge.  The levemir had expired in 01/16.  Endo called in a prescription to the local Meijer pharmacy, who stayed later after closing time by 5 minutes so my wife could pick up the levemir.  We dosed him, but he had high BS all night - I just slept in his bed and he slept in mine with my wife, who had a rough night re-dosing him over and over again.

The pump came as planned, and everything's good now... it's kind of crazy how totally on the ball I was pre-pump, and how much I forgot about how to use the levemir pens and needle dosing in the past three pump years.  It came back quickly enough, but it felt I'd been transported back to the 1890s or something.

We had an eventful night on Thursday.  My son came home from taekwondo practice and his BS was very high (329).  I had him check ketones and they were as high as the testing sticks can indicate.  He probably has ketones about twice per year if not sick, and then only low levels.  I changed his infusion set in case there was a blockage in his tubing, then gave him some carbs and had him dose insulin.  The pump threw an M-ERR for the first time.  I called Medtronic, and after a little troubleshooting, they said it's a dead pump.  A new pump would arrive on Friday by noon.

I wasn't sure if the pump had delivered, but it must have - son's BS was 90.  But the ketones were still there, so I called the endocrinologist's on-call number.  The endo called back and had me give him 45 carbs and needle dose, and we had to break out the levemir from the back of the fridge.  The levemir had expired in 01/16.  Endo called in a prescription to the local Meijer pharmacy, who stayed later after closing time by 5 minutes so my wife could pick up the levemir.  We dosed him, but he had high BS all night - I just slept in his bed and he slept in mine with my wife, who had a rough night re-dosing him over and over again.

The pump came as planned, and everything's good now... it's kind of crazy how totally on the ball I was pre-pump, and how much I forgot about how to use the levemir pens and needle dosing in the past three pump years.  It came back quickly enough, but it felt I'd been transported back to the 1890s or something.
Glad to hear your son is doing better. Our daughter hasn't had to use a needle in approx 10 years. Maybe I should take a refresher course. 

Good to hear he is doing better, Tick. 

And I am in the direct opposite camp, I do four needle shots a day--I have to use good old fashion needles and bottles of insulin because all the needle type pens do not have a long enough needle to get the proper depth for me. Maybe it is just the old dog and new tricks idea, but I could never see myself going to a pump. 

Geez Tick, so sad to hear. Any help we can give let us know.  :(

I can share a funny/frustrating story from the past two weeks. Went to the doctors a couple weeks ago, go through the test results and get the usual yelling at me because my A1c is always in the mid to low sevens. He wants perfect at 6.5. Not happening. So I ask for the refills on scripts and go on my way. Kaiser pharmacy fills every thing including my Lantus insulin, but they won't authorize my Humalog insulin. Doctor goes back and forth with them over the past two weeks and they still won't budge. I am getting nervous because I am in full on conservation mode here as I am down to the last drops. Thursday I call the pharmacy and they say we are waiting on a letter from the doctor explaining why I need insulin. Now I just laugh at the lady as I have had type 1 for 41 years and they have a clear record I have been taking Humalog forever and why did they approve the Lantus insulin then? Now Kaiser pharmacy is only open during the week and it is the only pharmacy I am allowed to use--so Friday I am working the phones frantically, My nurse says it will probably be Monday at the earliest for this, I have enough drops for Friday night--so I start literally calling non-profits diabetic places begging for a bottle. Finally 4:45 I get the call--come get your insulin we close in 45 minutes. I fly to that office and all is well. Just the most problems I have ever had in 41 years in getting my medicine. "We need proof you are a diabetic," Yeah because we Type-1 just wake up everyday cured.  :loco:

So I have heard people are hacking the dexcom and omnipods comms to make an open source auto pancreas. 

While the timing of posting this link is poor, given the news relayed today.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319850.php

It would seem that there is some potential in treating genetically sensitive offspring/siblings with D vitamins as a prevention mechanism.  

This was something that was theorized centuries ago, FWIW before people really even understood what Vitamin D was.

culdeus said:
While the timing of posting this link is poor, given the news relayed today.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319850.php

It would seem that there is some potential in treating genetically sensitive offspring/siblings with D vitamins as a prevention mechanism.  

This was something that was theorized centuries ago, FWIW before people really even understood what Vitamin D was.
Thanks, I still have a daughter who isn't T1D and will consider this.

Courtjester said:
Geez Tick, so sad to hear. Any help we can give let us know.  :(

I can share a funny/frustrating story from the past two weeks. Went to the doctors a couple weeks ago, go through the test results and get the usual yelling at me because my A1c is always in the mid to low sevens. He wants perfect at 6.5. Not happening. So I ask for the refills on scripts and go on my way. Kaiser pharmacy fills every thing including my Lantus insulin, but they won't authorize my Humalog insulin. Doctor goes back and forth with them over the past two weeks and they still won't budge. I am getting nervous because I am in full on conservation mode here as I am down to the last drops. Thursday I call the pharmacy and they say we are waiting on a letter from the doctor explaining why I need insulin. Now I just laugh at the lady as I have had type 1 for 41 years and they have a clear record I have been taking Humalog forever and why did they approve the Lantus insulin then? Now Kaiser pharmacy is only open during the week and it is the only pharmacy I am allowed to use--so Friday I am working the phones frantically, My nurse says it will probably be Monday at the earliest for this, I have enough drops for Friday night--so I start literally calling non-profits diabetic places begging for a bottle. Finally 4:45 I get the call--come get your insulin we close in 45 minutes. I fly to that office and all is well. Just the most problems I have ever had in 41 years in getting my medicine. "We need proof you are a diabetic," Yeah because we Type-1 just wake up everyday cured.  :loco:
In their defense, maybe you were going to make meth out of that insulin.

General Malaise said:
Oh my god, Tick. I'm so sorry.  How is he doing?  How are you doing?  
We're doing fine - we know the routine.  Lots of crying, but about him, not us.

He's doing surprisingly well - he at least knows it's not a death sentence, but also knows that it's something he can't ever forget.  

He hid symptoms for a week, so his diagnosis A1C was 9.8 (first kid was 8.2).  We went to a hockey game on Friday night and noticed he drank everything in sight, then realized that he mentioned he needed new glasses earlier in the week... so had him test with his brother's gear.  Over 600, with ketones, so we took him in to get diagnosed.

He's a needlephobe, so we didn't know how it would go... but it's 1.5 days later and he's testing his own blood sugar and not freaking out at dose time.

We just can't wait until he's on a pump - that's due to happen right about when he turns 14, which means he should be eligible for the latest Medtronic pump, which is for 14+.

It's been smoother than I would have expected.

One weird thing, he doesn't want to hear a thing from his younger brother who's been T1D for 4 years... I think the 13yo just doesn't want his little brother to be the expert over him on anything.

We're doing fine - we know the routine.  Lots of crying, but about him, not us.

He's doing surprisingly well - he at least knows it's not a death sentence, but also knows that it's something he can't ever forget.  

He hid symptoms for a week, so his diagnosis A1C was 9.8 (first kid was 8.2).  We went to a hockey game on Friday night and noticed he drank everything in sight, then realized that he mentioned he needed new glasses earlier in the week... so had him test with his brother's gear.  Over 600, with ketones, so we took him in to get diagnosed.

He's a needlephobe, so we didn't know how it would go... but it's 1.5 days later and he's testing his own blood sugar and not freaking out at dose time.

We just can't wait until he's on a pump - that's due to happen right about when he turns 14, which means he should be eligible for the latest Medtronic pump, which is for 14+.

It's been smoother than I would have expected.

One weird thing, he doesn't want to hear a thing from his younger brother who's been T1D for 4 years... I think the 13yo just doesn't want his little brother to be the expert over him on anything.
Granted he was diagnosed at 20 so it's a little different but my son adapted to life as a Type 1 Diabetic very quickly.  I thought he would have trouble sticking himself to test and inject his insulin.  He was injecting himself within 24 hours.  He's been managing really well since.  He never displayed, outwardly at least, a whoa is me attitude.  He showed me he was much stronger mentally than I gave him credit for.  It's actually been impressive to watch.

Good luck to you and your family.  Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Wow, the kids at school heard he was diagnosed, and wanted to do something nice for him.  They rounded up some money in a week, bought him some Vans shoes (they were going to get custom shoes, but it takes too long so they got him blanks) plus $200 to get him most of the way to a 3D printer, which they knew he wanted.

The teacher sent home a note saying how surprised she was - the same kids came up with something like $.13 in the penny wars over the month before that.

Wow, the kids at school heard he was diagnosed, and wanted to do something nice for him.  They rounded up some money in a week, bought him some Vans shoes (they were going to get custom shoes, but it takes too long so they got him blanks) plus $200 to get him most of the way to a 3D printer, which they knew he wanted.

The teacher sent home a note saying how surprised she was - the same kids came up with something like $.13 in the penny wars over the month before that.
That is awesome, man.  Really touching.  Kids don't get enough credit when they do good and decent things so this really is nice to read.

Tick, what are the odds of two siblings coming down with T1D?  Is there a history in the family?  My reason for the question is that my wife and I are now super paranoid about another child having T1D, even though our 3 kids are with her and not my ex-wife.  My 5 year old daughter recently had a 24 hour period where she wet the bed, peed on the bathroom floor and then wet the couch.  Our minds raced to the thought that maybe she has T1D, even though we knew the odds were very unlikely.  Late last summer after another bedwetting episode, we took her to the doctor to test her and came back negative, which was a relief.  But the paranoia never goes away.

General Malaise said:
That is awesome, man.  Really touching.  Kids don't get enough credit when they do good and decent things so this really is nice to read.

Tick, what are the odds of two siblings coming down with T1D?  Is there a history in the family?  My reason for the question is that my wife and I are now super paranoid about another child having T1D, even though our 3 kids are with her and not my ex-wife.  My 5 year old daughter recently had a 24 hour period where she wet the bed, peed on the bathroom floor and then wet the couch.  Our minds raced to the thought that maybe she has T1D, even though we knew the odds were very unlikely.  Late last summer after another bedwetting episode, we took her to the doctor to test her and came back negative, which was a relief.  But the paranoia never goes away.
I started to link other sites, but they all seem to be linked from here: https://www.healthcentral.com/article/how-can-you-find-out-if-your-other-children-will-get-type-1-diabetes - great info there.

We've had two kids on Medtronic 670g pumps with Guardian 3 sensors for the past year.  One of the kids had a 530 and Enlite sensors before this.  Some thoughts...

• The Guardian 3 sensors are so much better than the Enlites - much more reliable and also more accurate.
  • The control is much better.  I'm a controls engineer and found it baffling that a PID controller wasn't used on the 530.  The 670g controller does such a better job of reacting to changes before they're a problem by varying the microdoses.
  • We probably get calls from school a combined once per quarter now for two kids, compared to maybe 2 per week for one kid before.
  • The 530 could talk to a phone, the 670g can't.  They always say it's just around the corner, but it's a weird backslide in functionality.

We've had two kids on Medtronic 670g pumps with Guardian 3 sensors for the past year.  One of the kids had a 530 and Enlite sensors before this.  Some thoughts...

• The Guardian 3 sensors are so much better than the Enlites - much more reliable and also more accurate.
  • The control is much better.  I'm a controls engineer and found it baffling that a PID controller wasn't used on the 530.  The 670g controller does such a better job of reacting to changes before they're a problem by varying the microdoses.
  • We probably get calls from school a combined once per quarter now for two kids, compared to maybe 2 per week for one kid before.
  • The 530 could talk to a phone, the 670g can't.  They always say it's just around the corner, but it's a weird backslide in functionality.
Have had the 670g 2 years. Had the 630g about 2 months before that. Love it. Had problems with lows before but can't with it. Diabetic 49 years, 8 months and have always been fit. Played all sports growing up and was always out doing something. Work(ed) physical jobs too.  Have no diabetes related health problems.. Eye doctor is amazed. Hiked around Peru last year and am going to Norway and 2 other Europe countries this year to do the same.

I think my wife would go back to peeing on sticks before a Medtronic product.  

670g is already being phased out for a number of issues including alarm fatigue and lack of phone support. 

I believe the next one is called the 730 but I do feel like the dash will put a lot of pressure on it as you are dealing with one fewer device with the dash.  

The Man With No Name said:
Have had the 670g 2 years. Had the 630g about 2 months before that. Love it. Had problems with lows before but can't with it. Diabetic 49 years, 8 months and have always been fit. Played all sports growing up and was always out doing something. Work(ed) physical jobs too.  Have no diabetes related health problems.. Eye doctor is amazed. Hiked around Peru last year and am going to Norway and 2 other Europe countries this year to do the same.
Awesome.  The list of things a T1D can't do is pretty short - a buddy has a son who wants to sail solo around the world, but just couldn't convince himself he could find a safe way to do it.  It's almost like he was looking for something he couldn't do, though - tried every extreme until he found one he couldn't do, then fixated on it.  I imagine he'll do it someday.

I don't think I posted this in here, but my son was voted team captain by his teammates for his basketball team this past year.  He's a short little dude and he's saddled with my worthless genes, but the kid can ball and works his tail off at a sport I was terrible in.  Pretty proud of this guy.  The pump has been a godsend for him.  :thumbup:

I don't think I posted this in here, but my son was voted team captain by his teammates for his basketball team this past year.  He's a short little dude and he's saddled with my worthless genes, but the kid can ball and works his tail off at a sport I was terrible in.  Pretty proud of this guy.  The pump has been a godsend for him.  :thumbup:
Cool, GM.  Tell any new-diagnosis parent that to help them to keep from freaking out that first week.

Some updates...

Both boys switched from Medtronic CGMs and pumps to Dexcom CFMs and T-slim pumps.  It’s resulted in better control and fewer blood sugar teats and also has better monitoring for parents (phone app).

Also, the 17yo son got on the early list for Covid vaccine because of overcautious early CDC guidelines that listed diabetes as a comorbidity, even though they later clarified that to T2D only.  My wife and I also got on the list as caregivers of children with special healthcare needs, so we’re a week away from getting our second shots.

Also, both boys are on a mountain biking team. I didn’t want to stick the coaches with T1D care, so I became a coach and ride with them at every practice. It’s been really good for us to do this together, and I’m planning a trip to Copper Harbor (silver level ride center) this summer.

Tick said:
Some updates...

Both boys switched from Medtronic CGMs and pumps to Dexcom CFMs and T-slim pumps.  It’s resulted in better control and fewer blood sugar teats and also has better monitoring for parents (phone app).

Also, the 17yo son got on the early list for Covid vaccine because of overcautious early CDC guidelines that listed diabetes as a comorbidity, even though they later clarified that to T2D only.  My wife and I also got on the list as caregivers of children with special healthcare needs, so we’re a week away from getting our second shots.
Been on the Dexcom for a few years now. Love it and the follow app has to be huge for parents. 

Amazing how this technology has evolved over the past 5 years. 

Been diabetic over 51 years. Have never been out of shape and have always looked younger than my age. Got the Medtronic minimed 630G in early 2017 and upgraded to the 670G 2 months later. Was a game changer. Had problems with lows, but no more. Have been able to travel anywhere and have hiked in South America and Europe as well as the USA because of having the pump and sensor. No health or physical problems, no diabetic retinopathy, nothin. Feel like I can live and be active several more decades to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been diabetic over 51 years. Have never been out of shape and have always looked younger than my age. Got the Medtronic minimed 630G in early 2017 and upgraded to the 670G 2 months later. Was a game changer. Had problems with lows, but no more. Have been able to travel anywhere and have hiked in South America and Europe as well as the USA because of having the pump and sensor. No health or physical problems, no diabetic retinopathy, nothin. Feel like I can live and be active several more decades to come.
What was care like at the earliest point you remember?

What was care like at the earliest point you remember?
I mean care up until about 25 years ago involved shots, exclusively.  35 years ago rapid acting insulin had not been developed, and 45 years ago you were peeing on sticks rather than doing a blood stick.  

I don't know how anyone survived with the standard of care from the 70s and 80s.  Let alone any time before that.

Users who are viewing this thread