What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Type 1 Diabetes (2 Viewers)

Hey, GM - stop in to ask questions or just vent. I'm sorry for your family, but as you said, if something's going to go wrong with the health of one of your kids, T1D isn't the worst thing out there.

There are some other similarly activated diseases that sometimes accompany T1D, like celiac's (the people who actually can't have gluten, not just the fad), Hashimoto's (thyroid), Crohn's (intestines), etc. My boy has now been diagnosed with Hashimoto's as well. It's really not a big deal, though - once it has damaged his thyroid enough, he'll have to take a pill per day for the rest of his life, but that's all that's needed. That should be easy to fold into his T1D care.

Hey, GM - stop in to ask questions or just vent. I'm sorry for your family, but as you said, if something's going to go wrong with the health of one of your kids, T1D isn't the worst thing out there.

There are some other similarly activated diseases that sometimes accompany T1D, like celiac's (the people who actually can't have gluten, not just the fad), Hashimoto's (thyroid), Crohn's (intestines), etc. My boy has now been diagnosed with Hashimoto's as well. It's really not a big deal, though - once it has damaged his thyroid enough, he'll have to take a pill per day for the rest of his life, but that's all that's needed. That should be easy to fold into his T1D care.
I also hesitate to mention, but depression in adolescents is also highly indicated.

There is a new drug, Afrezza, that is an inhaled insulin for people with Type I & II that is now FDA approved and available for prescription. From what I understand the results are very positive- life changing. Lot of videos from users on youtube. There is a study underway for children using the drug too.

https://www.afrezza.com/

General Malaise said:
Took my 11 year old to his doctor today because he was wetting the bed recently, which was out of character. I wanted him tested and so he peed in a cup and glucose levels were high. Blood test confirmed suspicions of diabetes. We are at the Children's Hospital now about to meet with the endocrinologist and will be here the next two days. This thread has been very helpful to read and thank you for sharing. We are nervous, scared and I'm freaking out about cost as I may be losing my job and have four other kids, but I'm putting on a strong face and am glad we got ahead of this early. :(
GM, I'm sorry to hear about your son. I've had type I diabetes for about 20 years, so let me know if you or your son have any questions about anything. I know how stressful it was for my parents when I was first diagnosed, but it gets a lot easier once you get comfortable with the routine and learn how to recognize high and low blood sugar symptoms. I have always been thankful that I got a disease that is relatively easy to manage and that has never interfered with me living a normal life doing whatever I want to do. Good luck to you guys and let me know if I can be of any help!

Took my 11 year old to his doctor today because he was wetting the bed recently, which was out of character. I wanted him tested and so he peed in a cup and glucose levels were high. Blood test confirmed suspicions of diabetes. We are at the Children's Hospital now about to meet with the endocrinologist and will be here the next two days. This thread has been very helpful to read and thank you for sharing. We are nervous, scared and I'm freaking out about cost as I may be losing my job and have four other kids, but I'm putting on a strong face and am glad we got ahead of this early. :(
GM, I'm sorry to hear about your son. I've had type I diabetes for about 20 years, so let me know if you or your son have any questions about anything. I know how stressful it was for my parents when I was first diagnosed, but it gets a lot easier once you get comfortable with the routine and learn how to recognize high and low blood sugar symptoms. I have always been thankful that I got a disease that is relatively easy to manage and that has never interfered with me living a normal life doing whatever I want to do. Good luck to you guys and let me know if I can be of any help!
Hey, I forgot to say thank you for this. Been over a month now and you're right, it does get easier once you learn how to manage care, count carbs, recognize highs and lows. I'll say this - my son is much tougher and more resilient than I was at his age. He's kept his spirits high, hasn't let this slow him down and inspires me every day with his bravery.

We go in to see his endocrinologist on Thursday, which is the first time we'll visit with him since his initial diagnosis. I'm surprised by how quickly he can swing between lows to highs and back. We've adjusted his Lantus down and changed his ratios on his Humalog, so it's far from a perfect science at this point, but we are learning quite a bit and staying in touch with the educators.

Also, saw this article today, which is encouraging.

Badass, GM - thanks for posting that.

Are you guys headed toward a pump down the road, or just seeing how things go?

I have used the Lantus/Humalog routine for years. You are right, It is not an exact science but it has given me the best control l have had.

Badass, GM - thanks for posting that.

Are you guys headed toward a pump down the road, or just seeing how things go?
We're going to talk to the insurance company and the doctor in 6 months and inquire about putting one in. I think the protocol for now is they really want patients to learn how to manage care on their own and have a good handle on it before going right to the pump. Chances are he could move to one right now and be fine, but they aren't always permanent and say he goes off it....would suck not knowing how to manage care the 'old fashioned way'.

Also going to look at a device that will monitor his blood sugar and send the readings to our phones. That'll be a stage we discuss with him before the pump.

I really got excited when the doctor said he firmly believes cures are coming and that future T1D patients will be able to live to - his words - 150 years of age. :shock:

Thanks for starting this thread. I haven't really done much of the online support through social media, haven't joined any of the support groups local, signed up for walks or anything. Really just listening to my son, his doctors and educators and finding comfort in here. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
GM - It's a little ways down the road, but keep in mind that T1D have a tough time in their first year of college. As you figure out your role in helping your son manage this disease remember that a drastic change is on the horizon. Hopefully this disease will be a thing of the past in the next decade.

GM - It's a little ways down the road, but keep in mind that T1D have a tough time in their first year of college. As you figure out your role in helping your son manage this disease remember that a drastic change is on the horizon. Hopefully this disease will be a thing of the past in the next decade.
Thanks, buddy. He's 11, so it is a little ways off, but it'll be here before we know it. I have 74 kids now, so I'm not sure a traditional 4-year school is in the cards for all of them. I could easily see this guy staying home with us to go to Portland State or a local CC before moving on. But, I do appreciate the tip and you are right, it would be really worrisome to send him off to college to manage his own care with all the trappings of freshman dorm life. I just think of what I did to my body my freshman year and get shivers. :)

What kind of test strips do you have him using? what are you paying for them?
One Touch Ultra. I just bought 200 of them at Rite Aid for $30, which is my co-pay. I am in the process of setting up home delivery through CVS but got stalled last week when the agent couldn't find the right code for the test strips. An hour + of my life I'll never get back.

Lantus sucks. They say it doesn't peak, but it peaks.
I should know what this means but I don't think I do. Can you elaborate?
Lantus is marketed as a super long acting insulin that doesn't peak. Thing is that it does. And it's not predictable.
Before my son got his pump, we used Levemir instead of Lantus and didn't see a peak.
How long did you wait before getting your son his pump (if it's in this thread, apologies for asking)? Did insurance cover this?

We're going to revisit in 6 months as the doctor/nurses want to ensure he knows the mechanics of injection, how to read his body, take his blood, etc. I think that's a good plan.

Also, do you guys use a Dexcom continuous blood glucose meter?

Thanks, buddy. He's 11, so it is a little ways off, but it'll be here before we know it. I have 74 kids now, so I'm not sure a traditional 4-year school is in the cards for all of them. I could easily see this guy staying home with us to go to Portland State or a local CC before moving on. But, I do appreciate the tip and you are right, it would be really worrisome to send him off to college to manage his own care with all the trappings of freshman dorm life. I just think of what I did to my body my freshman year and get shivers. :)
I'm not sure that's exactly what he was referring to. I think he was trying to maybe dance around the issue that the number one killer of T1D is suicide, currently. T1D up to age 30 are 8x more likely to take their own lives than the general population, this is never more pronounced than when in and leaving college.

Lantus is marketed as a super long acting insulin that doesn't peak. Thing is that it does. And it's not predictable.
Before my son got his pump, we used Levemir instead of Lantus and didn't see a peak.
How long did you wait before getting your son his pump (if it's in this thread, apologies for asking)? Did insurance cover this?

We're going to revisit in 6 months as the doctor/nurses want to ensure he knows the mechanics of injection, how to read his body, take his blood, etc. I think that's a good plan.

We have a dexcom, hardly use it. If on MDI then it's sort of pointless, the level of granularity you get on MDI doesn't really warrant a CGM.

But, that being said the dexcoms for kids is really nice. You can monitor your kids bg remotely. That has some appeal.

I'm not sure that's exactly what he was referring to. I think he was trying to maybe dance around the issue that the number one killer of T1D is suicide, currently. T1D up to age 30 are 8x more likely to take their own lives than the general population, this is never more pronounced than when in and leaving college.
Oh. Damn. I didn't know that. I suppose that's good to know and while I'm sure every parent of every child feels the same way I do about their own, I never in my life even once worried about suicide with this kid. He's like...the mayor. Popular, good athlete, decent grades and about as kind hearted a spirit as you'll encounter. He's as popular with his little sister as he is with his grandparents and his little sister and grandfather are extremely picky and sometimes churlish people.

All that said, I'm sure that's the one you need to look out for most. Scary. One thing the Malaises are not afraid of and that's seeking therapy if the need arises.

:bag:

Kind of neither and kind of both.

I couldn't find any web links to back it up, but I know of several T1D that have not adapted well to college and moved back home. Several of the parents have told me that statistically T1D dropout at a much higher rate. My assumption would be dealing with having a parent looking over your shoulder constantly to having to manage the disease on your own. Hard to take a "hand-offs" approach with a lazy teen (not calling out your son GM, they all are at that age for the most part) when your child is under your roof and a seizure is the result.

fwiw…my gf's son was diagnosed at around 5 and is now playing D1 soccer. His road is tougher than most and always will be, but the hurdles can be over come to do anything you want.

Yeah, that's not hard to fathom at all. Thanks for the heads up. It does help to get any and all feedback as this is still relatively new for us.

General Malaise said:
One Touch Ultra. I just bought 200 of them at Rite Aid for $30, which is my co-pay. I am in the process of setting up home delivery through CVS but got stalled last week when the agent couldn't find the right code for the test strips. An hour + of my life I'll never get back.
I'd say my wife spends 2-4 hours per week on the phone with insurance and diabetes supply places. It's a quagmire of codes, overrides, and incompetence at every turn.

General Malaise said:
I'd say my wife spends 2-4 hours per week on the phone with insurance and diabetes supply places. It's a quagmire of codes, overrides, and incompetence at every turn.
Ditto for my gf. 90 day supply and they dole that stuff out like it's gold. Between the suppliers and BCBS they are constantly ####### up the co-pays and out of pockets. She probably spends 2 hours a week on average fighting this mess.

General Malaise said:

About 6 months of traditional care, then we phased in the CGM and pump for a month or so (it was the end of a school year, so we didn't really start using it until the summer to avoid confusing the school staff so close to the end of the year).

We have the Medtronic pump with a CGM that we can see through a web browser, plus phone alerts (which are flawed - I assume they'll sort that out). We've been very happy with Medtronic, but I know there are a few different options out there.

Insurance was a huge surprise for us - we were told by Medtronic that we shouldn't expect insurance to pay for the pump we wanted because it's not FDA approved for someone as young as he was (6). They said to apply anyway, so we did. We had chosen the backup model when insurance surprised us by approving the pump.

Insurance is such a tangled web. In Michigan we're very lucky to have public Medicaidish supplemental insurance available for kids with diabetes (http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-71547_35698---,00.html) - it's a huge bargain for us, basically it pays for everything my work insurance doesn't, and the premiums are very low. You should investigate to see if they have an equivalent near you (Oregon? Lost my notebook).

I don't mean to be a shill here... we wanted a good pouch for our son's pump, and couldn't find anything we were happy with, so my wife started messing around with sewing a pouch.  Many iterations later, she has a few good designs that work well (pump only or pump/transmitter/iphone combo).  She started up an Etsy shop to sell them... I'm not trying to drum up business for her, but if anyone is looking for the same solution, here's a link:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpKinsPouches

I don't mean to be a shill here... we wanted a good pouch for our son's pump, and couldn't find anything we were happy with, so my wife started messing around with sewing a pouch.  Many iterations later, she has a few good designs that work well (pump only or pump/transmitter/iphone combo).  She started up an Etsy shop to sell them... I'm not trying to drum up business for her, but if anyone is looking for the same solution, here's a link:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpKinsPouches
Why only children's?

One Touch Ultra.  I just bought 200 of them at Rite Aid for $30, which is my co-pay.  I am in the process of setting up home delivery through CVS but got stalled last week when the agent couldn't find the right code for the test strips.  An hour + of my life I'll never get back.

http://www.onetouch.com/support/services/patient-assistance-programs

see if you can reduce that $30.  Some companies are happy to eat that copay, it costs them pennies to make these strips, meanwhile you insurance is probably reimbursing the pharmacy between $100-130 per 100 strips.  They want that sort of revenue stream for the very long life of a young diabetic.  If they can't help you, make a switch to freestyle, or accucheck, or even a company like Arkray that charges $10 for a box 50 strips and that's with no insurance.  Strips are one of the biggest mark-ups out there.

I have used an Accucheck for years and I get 200 strips for $25,00. Up until this year, I was paying $42.00 for 200 because my co pay was $30 for a  script that was written as 5 tests a day, so basically 150 strips a month--but they come in boxes of 100 and they would pro rate the rest of the last box at $12.00.  So my new script I just turned in and I tell the pharmacist "Yeah I know they won't cover the full 200," She looked at me and said, "Well, do you want me to put it in as 200 or 150?" I just said well, whatever, you can get. She coded it a certain way and I am getting 200 for $25.00. Getting them to work for you is important because they don't have a dog in the fight with what amount you get.

This is one of the most important things I have learned being a diabetic for 40 years. This disease is expensive. And it makes it that much harder when you have to fight insurance companies. My doctor will go to bat for me like no one else. The insurance company sometimes goes on these runs where they want to know specifically how many Humalog units I use a month, so my doctor will "wink" a little and use my dosage on my heavy days which results in me getting 2 bottles a month vs just one per co-pay.. He does the same with my Lantus. Now I don't feel bad about this at all, because there have been months in the past when I have been straight up honest about dosage and  then I have a month where I am sick and used a lot, I run out day 24, insurance throws a fit and says I am not eligible for a refill.

He has done the same with my blood pressure pills, my cholesterol meds, needles, you name it.  He just wants me to stay healthy and keep a good A1C and he knows if he gives me the tools, I will do it. .

The way the pharmacist codes it is in terms of "days supply".  If you're testing only once a day a box of 50 strips should last you 50 days, however most insurances will only pay for 30 days and will reject the claim because of quantity limit parameters.  The pharmacist will then resubmit 50 strips for 30 days, but runs the risk of being audited and having the reimbursement clawed back, although in this case that is unlikely as insurance companies understand packaging.  But if you're dr writes "test 5-6 times a day, dx: uncontrolled diabetes" then the pharmacist can go ahead and put a cheaper days supply number in that field.  Same goes for humalog, if you're taking 15 units with each meal, well then a box of the flexpens which is a total quantity of 1500 units should last 34 days (1500/45). 

I have used an Accucheck for years and I get 200 strips for $25,00. Up until this year, I was paying $42.00 for 200 because my co pay was $30 for a  script that was written as 5 tests a day, so basically 150 strips a month--but they come in boxes of 100 and they would pro rate the rest of the last box at $12.00.  So my new script I just turned in and I tell the pharmacist "Yeah I know they won't cover the full 200," She looked at me and said, "Well, do you want me to put it in as 200 or 150?" I just said well, whatever, you can get. She coded it a certain way and I am getting 200 for $25.00. Getting them to work for you is important because they don't have a dog in the fight with what amount you get.

This is one of the most important things I have learned being a diabetic for 40 years. This disease is expensive. And it makes it that much harder when you have to fight insurance companies. My doctor will go to bat for me like no one else. The insurance company sometimes goes on these runs where they want to know specifically how many Humalog units I use a month, so my doctor will "wink" a little and use my dosage on my heavy days which results in me getting 2 bottles a month vs just one per co-pay.. He does the same with my Lantus. Now I don't feel bad about this at all, because there have been months in the past when I have been straight up honest about dosage and  then I have a month where I am sick and used a lot, I run out day 24, insurance throws a fit and says I am not eligible for a refill.

He has done the same with my blood pressure pills, my cholesterol meds, needles, you name it.  He just wants me to stay healthy and keep a good A1C and he knows if he gives me the tools, I will do it. .
In case you're paying more than $25 a month for your lantus

https://www.lantus.com/sign-up/savings-registration

check back tmrw, I'll post some details for a free one time fill of humalog from Lilly, only catch is its once per lifetime.

Hi guys.  Joined this club as a parent over the last 48 hours.  My daughter had been drinking water like crazy and peeing all the time (classic symptoms).  She was admitted to the hospital Wed evening with a blood sugar level of almost 800.  She is 12 years old and leads a very active lifestyle with travel soccer, competitive cheer and volleyball.  We are still in the shocked, overwhelmed, head spinning stage as we learn how to manage T1D.  I feel like we have the checking blood sugar, counting carbs, doing the math and administering insulin kind of figured out.  Still a lot to learn.

This thread has been very helpful.  Thanks everyone for the info.  Quick question, what is A1C?  I don't recall that being talked about.

I don't know the details of how the A1C test works, but it tells you what your average blood sugar over the past three months was.  It's a great indicator, but of course an average doesn't say anything about how many highs and lows you had.

Here are some goals/guidelines for A1C readings.

I'm sorry to hear that you've joined the club, but it's less crappy than it's ever been!

Yeah man, you'll be amazed how fast you all will adapt.  We're less than 5 months in and it feels like we've been doing this for years.  Every so often there's a stark reminder that your child is T1D (call from his school that he's low and can't take the bus home; shockingly high readings after his dad takes him to a Blazer game and greenlights another treat) but for the most part, the apprehension and dread I felt at his initial diagnosis has been vanished and replaced by relief that we can treat what made him sick and live a very normal and healthy life as a family.

All the best to you and your family and ask this thread anything.  Great group in here, so thankful for them.

Sorry Al, it really sucks for you guys.

Coming up on my 40th year here with this wonderful disease, but like Tick mentioned, it is a better time now to be a diabetic than back in the dark ages when I was diagnosed.

My doctor's explanation of A1C is it measures the amount of sugar cells that attach to regular cells during a time period and any period of abnormal highs will change the results. I have always questioned this because under his theory, I could run 100 all the time, but have a few moments where I go high like 200 for just a few hours, those would then drastically change the results.

I prescribe to Tick's definition, it should show an average of how you do and not just allow one or two highs be the controlling factor.

Just tell her, initially it seems like this is a big deal, but she can't let it define her. It is treatable. It doesn't mean she can't eat pizza or stop playing sports. It just means a little thought needs to be taken before meals and activities. Once you guys get used to it,, it will be 2nd nature. If you need anything, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

Well now, how about some great news for the good guys?  

http://www.jdrf.org/research/artificial-pancreas/

Our family did the JDRF 5K on Sunday. What a fun event that was.  We raised $4500 thanks to many awesome FBGs donating.  All told, the Oregon area raised almost $300K.  Pretty awesome. 

Anyhow, big breakthrough today and may we find cure soon.
670G has been out in the UK for awhile.  Maybe more than 2 years?  It's pretty meh.  Good first step, but not a cure really.

General Malaise said:
No, not a cure.  And, not available until patients are 14.  Sorry for the false excitement I guess.
I think it's a good step, but really we need the FDA to get to a point where the phone can be considered a medical device and can handle the backend work of the CGM/Dosing.  That saves a lot of hardware space and bulk.  

I think it's a good step, but really we need the FDA to get to a point where the phone can be considered a medical device and can handle the backend work of the CGM/Dosing.  That saves a lot of hardware space and bulk.  
Phones blow - they're always out of batteries or crashing.  I agree with the FDA that the pump should do the work, and the phone should just be used for monitoring.

Culdeus, regarding the 670G, are there any remote monitoring options?  For our son's 530G, we have a MySentry and Minimed Connect.  At one point, I heard the 670G didn't have these options yet.

ETA: Oh, I just read this part: 

The heart of the system—sophisticated computer algorithms that live on a smartphone or similar device—will link to a continuous glucose monitor sensor and insulin pump to determine blood sugar trends and control insulin delivery.
Combining that with your comments, does this mean that in the UK, calculations are done on the phone, but in the US, the math is done on the pump?

General Malaise said:
No, not a cure.  And, not available until patients are 14.  Sorry for the false excitement I guess.
GM, my son's Medtronic 530G isn't FDA approved for kids his age (9), but insurance paid for it and Medtronic supports it anyway.  That really surprised us.

GM, my son's Medtronic 530G isn't FDA approved for kids his age (9), but insurance paid for it and Medtronic supports it anyway.  That really surprised us.
We're still just using insulin pens/injections and finger pokes for monitoring.  Hoping to transition soon to something a little more automated.  Saw his doctor at the 5K walk Sunday, which was cool.  

Get to go back in tomorrow for blood work.  Last week they stuck me and my vein colapsed half way thru and they didn't get enough blood. So they stuck me 5 more times including in the top of my hand and still couldn't get a vein to work. You know after 40 years of this crap you think I would just get used to it, but every time,  I have to lay down to have the blood work done and then I still almost pass out. I do four shots a day no problem, I see someone coming at me with a needle, I am done and my veins disappear. 

I'll go back and read through this thread, but figured I'd ask here first and hope for some replies.  I submitted the paperwork for a DEXCOM and have heard back from them already.  The order is in and has been submitted to something called "Edge Park".  My feeling is once they talk to my insurance, I'll be facing an out of pocket expense of around $900.  Any tips on how I can get this lowered?  Call the insurance?  What have you or your spouses done to help lower the out of pocket expense on devices like this?  

Thanks guys.

I'll go back and read through this thread, but figured I'd ask here first and hope for some replies.  I submitted the paperwork for a DEXCOM and have heard back from them already.  The order is in and has been submitted to something called "Edge Park".  My feeling is once they talk to my insurance, I'll be facing an out of pocket expense of around $900.  Any tips on how I can get this lowered?  Call the insurance?  What have you or your spouses done to help lower the out of pocket expense on devices like this?  

Thanks guys.
Wanna buy some, cheap like?

We used dexcom for awhile but quit.  I mean it's great and all, but really if it doesn't talk to your pump it's fairly limited in use and can constantly annoy you with beeps and stuff you can't turn off.

Which one are you gonna get, ours is the older one that doesn't talk to the phones but I think the transmitter they have now is backwards compatible.  Our transmitter is rip and we didn't opt to get another one.  

Protip: the sets last like 3 weeks if you can keep them in that long, just have to trick the thing into thinking you started a new set.

Wanna buy some, cheap like?

We used dexcom for awhile but quit.  I mean it's great and all, but really if it doesn't talk to your pump it's fairly limited in use and can constantly annoy you with beeps and stuff you can't turn off.
We don't have a pump.  Doctor encouraged us to go this route first.  Sounds like an annoyance though.  How do the sensors penetrate the skin?  Or does it?  I'm looking at the pamphlet now.

Users who are viewing this thread