What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (3 Viewers)

Allen, Wheaton, Denard, Stacy, Stedman, Kelce

Later on - Terrance Williams, Ellington, Thompson, Wilson, Patton, Charles Johnson, J Reed, Swope

Very deep class.

Rotoworld:

Titans rookie WR Justin Hunter has missed each of the team's first seven OTA practices with a hamstring strain.
He was out again on Monday. The Nashville Tennessean reports Hunter may be held out until training camp. Hunter's toughness has already been questioned publicly by WRs coach Shawn Jefferson. He's falling behind the eight ball.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Justin Hunter sits out OTAs, irks Titans position coach

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

The Tennessee Titans coaching staff is split on how to handle wide receiver Justin Hunter's hamstring injury. Leery of encountering a setback, head coach Mike Munchak said Tuesday that Hunter might be held out until training camp. The second-round draft pick already has missed the first seven sessions of organized team activities.

Munchack and offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains have downplayed Hunter's missed practice time, but position coach Shawn Jefferson is already questioning the wide receiver's toughness.

"Justin needs to get his (butt) going. Sometimes we have to fight through things. That's how I was taught with Bill Parcells," Jefferson said to the Nashville Tennessean last week. "If it ain't broke, then I'm not hurt. This is a very crucial time. This is where we see the growth in the kid, where he gets used to going through some adversity."

Hunter impressed in rookie orientation. Now that he's sitting out, Jefferson views it as a "setback" in his development because "the OTAs is where you really see the jump and he corrects mistakes."

The Titans are deep at wide receiver with Kenny Britt finally looking healthy again, Kendall Wright dropping 12 to 15 pounds and Nate Washington removed from the trading block. Hunter will have a lot of catching up to do once training camp starts.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

I think I have owned every notable ff player with hammy issues the past two seasons and I am glad the team is intelligent enough to hold him out because those things completely derail your season if you don't give it the time it needs to heal properly.

I see all the % of teams wr production talk and what he does against top team talk all over these boards and im sure it has some merit

My question is does the fact that hunter played along side of four other pass catchers that are on nfl rosters have anything to do with maybe his %'s being a lil lower than a normal elite talent? Along with acl recovery? And with a qb who was a gunslinger who would throw into any coverage to any wr (meaning couldnt cp and hunyer have been open on several of yhose plays that went to other wr?

As for the poster above who talked about UT offense being subpar they werent watching any of the games i saw ... Offense was top notch ... It was the sieve defense and subpar coaching that had UT out of bowl contention

So are you stats guys picking stedman ahead of tavon? no, you are projecting physical talent with the draft rd pedigree

Rotoworld:

Second-round WR Justin Hunter (hamstring) isn't participating in Titans minicamp.
It means barring an unexpected return on Wednesday or Thursday, the No. 34 overall pick will go into training camp having missed all of OTAs. His toughness has already been questioned by WRs coach Shawn Jefferson, so it's safe to assume coach Mike Munchak isn't thrilled, either. Perhaps it's why Munchak has insisted Nate Washington remains in the Titans' plans after it was previously believed he was good as gone.

Never understood a coach riding a guy because he's hurt. I bet fewer than 1/100 guys with the drive and talent to make it to the NFL wants to do anything except be on the field playing ball. So dumb.

Rotoworld:

Second-round WR Justin Hunter (hamstring) isn't participating in Titans minicamp.
It means barring an unexpected return on Wednesday or Thursday, the No. 34 overall pick will go into training camp having missed all of OTAs. His toughness has already been questioned by WRs coach Shawn Jefferson, so it's safe to assume coach Mike Munchak isn't thrilled, either. Perhaps it's why Munchak has insisted Nate Washington remains in the Titans' plans after it was previously believed he was good as gone.

The analysis part of this is weird. I had read that Munchak was on the side of Hunter sitting out: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210540/article/justin-hunter-sits-out-otas-irks-titans-position-coach

The Tennessee Titans' coaching staff is split on how to handle wide receiver Justin Hunter's hamstring injury. Leery of encountering a setback, coach Mike Munchak said Tuesday that Hunter might be held out until training camp. The second-round draft pick already has missed the first seven sessions of organized team activities.

Munchack and offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains have downplayed Hunter's missed practice time, but position coach Shawn Jefferson already is questioning the wide receiver's toughness.
ETA: Just noticed same blurb was posted a few posts up by Faust as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Rotoworld blurb has been played to death and has been the wrong take from the get-go.

Why is it "Safe to assume" that the HC is displeased simply because a positional coach said something?

I think that Rotoworld blurb has been played to death and has been the wrong take from the get-go.

Why is it "Safe to assume" that the HC is displeased simply because a positional coach said something?
Rotoworld is a great source for news, but their commentary is useless in most cases. It's filled with bias and lazy analysis and alot of times what they say in the blurb is not reflective of the what is actually in the linked article.

It seems every big back they don't like is a "plodder" and they blow the most insignificant "bad" news out of proportion for players they didn't like in the first place.

The Chris Wesserling article quoted a few posts up specifically says that Munchack (the HC) wants Hunter held out until training camp so he can recover,

Rotoworld is a great source for news, but their commentary is useless in most cases. It's filled with bias and lazy analysis and alot of times what they say in the blurb is not reflective of the what is actually in the linked article.

It seems every big back they don't like is a "plodder" and they blow the most insignificant "bad" news out of proportion for players they didn't like in the first place.

The Chris Wesserling article quoted a few posts up specifically says that Munchack (the HC) wants Hunter held out until training camp so he can recover,
Bingo

Bingo
That is why I try to make sure that their commentary is in a different color, so it is clear what is the news blurb, and what opinions and viewpoints they are reading into the news. I do like that they provide the source article, so that you can read further and draw your own conclusions.

Rookies to Watch: Justin Hunter

Chris Burke

As we power through the summer toward training camps, Chris Burke will highlight players that interest him this season for various reasons. This week, he’s looking at three rookies who might star in 2013.

The Minnesota Vikings traded four picks — a second-, third-, fourth- and seventh-rounder — to move up and nab University of Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson in Round 1 of this year’s draft.

Five selections later, the Titans moved three draft choices — a second-, seventh- and 2014 third-rounder — to climb the ladder for Patterson’s former college teammate, Justin Hunter.

High price tags both, and Patterson may have the highest ceiling of any rookie offensive player. So, why does it feel like the Titans pulled off a steal here?

Maybe it’s because it was Hunter (and not Patterson) who led Tennessee in catches, receiving yards and touchdowns last season. Or that while Patterson carried a “raw” description into the draft, as a receiver who needed to hone his route-running and technique, Hunter was much further along in that development.

Regardless of the reasoning, the Titans were able to wait until Round 2, save a fourth-round pick compared to Minnesota’s trade package and land a player that could compete for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

“Justin is real good from what I’ve seen so far,” Kendall Wright, the Titans’ first-round pick in 2012, told Craig Peters of TitansOnline.com.

The Titans reportedly plan to start Hunter out at their “Z” receiver position, which lines up on the opposite side of the field from Kenny Britt at the “X.” Nate Washington played that “Z” spot last year, to rather disappointing results; Washington finished the year with just 46 catches, prompting the Titans’ Hunter move in the draft and leading to rumors of Washington (and his $4.2 million contract for 2013) being sent packing.

Any signs of life from Hunter, then, bode well for Wright and the team’s passing game as a whole. Wright hauled in a team-high 64 catches last season — a number that may have been substantially larger had Washington not faltered (just eight catches over Tennessee’s final four games) or Britt been 100 percent, allowing Wright to operate with less attention from defenses.

That’s not to say that there is totally clear sailing ahead for the Titans’ receiving corps. Much of their success there depends on Jake Locker (hold that thought), plus Hunter irked his new coaches by sitting out OTAs with a hamstring injury.

“Justin needs to get his (butt) going,” Titans wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson said last week, according to The Tennessean. “Sometimes we have to fight through things. That’s how I was taught with Bill Parcells. If it ain’t broke, then I’m not hurt. This is a very crucial time. This is where we see the growth in the kid, where he gets used to going through some adversity.”

Jefferson, you might recall, was involved in a tiff with Titus Young last year as a coach for the Lions. In other words, Hunter may want to stay on his good side.

But training camp and the preseason ought to provide the rookie receiver ample opportunity to prove himself, even if he opens it behind Washington in the pecking order. Tennessee’s ideal offensive setup likely would put Hunter and Britt together on the outside, with Wright in the slot, Delanie Walker at tight end and Chris Johnson excelling out of the backfield.

On paper, that’s an extremely dangerous group — especially so if Hunter fills out his 6-foot-4 frame and becomes more of an all-around weapon.

His 2013 numbers, like those of every other Titans skill-position player, will rely heavily on Locker. Tennessee has gone out of its way to surround Locker with talent, from adding offensive linemen (Andy Levitre in free agency and Chance Warmack in Round 1) to signing Walker, to selecting Wright and Hunter in back-to-back drafts.

Wright came closest to emerging as a go-to guy for Locker during his 11 starts last season. Hunter could step in and wrestle that designation away, especially if Britt and Wright can draw extra defensive attention.

Should Hunter find himself in a number of one-on-one situations, he could make opposing defenses pay dearly. Whereas the Vikings may need to be very guided and precise in how they get the ball to Patterson, Hunter is advanced enough in his routes to work his way open. He also has speed to win matchups deep, and his 6-4 size will make him a very tough cover in tight quarters.

Patterson may be flashier, even in the NFL, thanks to his big-play ability as well as his experience out of the backfield and returning kicks. For the Titans’ needs, though, Hunter appears to be a near-perfect fit.

Don’t be the slightest bit surprised if he winds up being the more productive NFL player.

Rotoworld:

Second-round WR Justin Hunter (hamstring) participated in individual drills on the final day of Titans minicamp Wednesday.
It was Hunter's first practice of any kind during OTAs. It puts him on track to be ready for team drills when training camp begins late next month, but he'll be on the spot to prove he can stay on the field after WRs coach Shawn Jefferson questioned his toughness in May. Hunter has the talent to make an impact as a rookie, but the Titans' erratic passing attack could hold him back.

Source: John Glennon on Twitter

According to the Nashville Tennessean, "most everyone" is chalking Titans WR Justin Hunter's (hamstring) extensive missed practice time up to "bad luck."

Receivers coach Shawn Jefferson put the rookie on the spot after he publicly questioned his toughness earlier this month, but it was likely a motivational tactic more than anything else. Standing in at 6-foot-4, 196 pounds with 4.44 wheels, Hunter has the talent to make an impact as a rookie after catching 73 passes in the SEC last season, but it's hard to predict how the Titans' remade offense will play out under embattled QB Jake Locker.
The only ones that seemed to think it was something other than a motivational tactic was Rotoworld.

I think the Titans offense as a whole is trending up. A trio of Hunter, Britt, and Wright is looking pretty good as is, as an extension, Jake Locker's prospects.

Rotoworld:

Jake Locker told the Nashville Tennessean he believes rookie WR Justin Hunter can "help us out if we can keep him on the field."
"He's talented," Locker said of the Titans' second-round pick. Hunter dealt with a hamstring injury during offseason workouts but was able to return to practice late in minicamp. He'll need to be healthy this summer to earn playing time in an experienced receiving corps.

Rotoworld:

Rookie WR Justin Hunter (hamstring) will be a full-go when the Titans open training camp.
After missing all of OTAs, Hunter returned for the end of minicamp and has been healthy since. Vying for targets behind Kenny Britt and Kendall Wright, Hunter is a major long shot for year-one fantasy football impact in Tennessee's already low-percentage pass offense quarterbacked by erratic Jake Locker.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Titans' Hunter needs to practice more safely

By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A slap fight in helmets between safety Michael Griffin and receiver Michael Preston escalated into a bigger deal involving about 20 players at Tennessee Titans practice Saturday afternoon. Some guys wound up on top of gray garbage cans near the fence bordering the field before it wound down.

It was relatively timid and largely standard fare for a training-camp fight, more shoving and yelling than anything. Afterwards players and coaches talked about how such things shouldn’t escalate, are bound to happen and will be forgotten.

Griffin said he told coach Mike Munchak that if there are fines for both the headliners, he wanted to pay both.

Munchak took it seriously, but also said, “It was mainly a lot of little guys trying to look tough.”

The big thing, to me, that came out of it was in the few plays that followed, where rookie receiver Justin Hunter was tentative and looked to put himself in potential danger as he finished up following a couple catches.

After the first, volatile safety Bernard Pollard let Hunter have it for all to hear. Pollard, to put it politely, questioned Hunter’s toughness. Hunter, to his credit, jawed back at him.

But soon after, Hunter went down awkwardly again. He looked timid and unsure as he went to the ground feet first, on his backside, nearly asking for a cleat to get stuck in the ground and something bad to happen to one of his legs.

Guys who carry the ball generally have a sense of how to end a practice play safely. Hunter doesn’t yet seem to have that knack, and after getting berated by Pollard it got worse, not better.

“When I see it, I feel like I can do a little bit more than I did going to the ground, get two extra yards,” Hunter said. “I just have that in my mind, to always fight for more.”

Receivers need to have that urge, but they also need to manage where and when they use it as safely as possible.

Said Munchak: “Guys have to learn how to protect themselves and how to fall, for receivers, quarterbacks, all those guys. [Hunter] has a lot of things to learn. He hasn’t played a ton. I’m just glad he’s out there competing, catching some balls. Going against guys like Pollard, [Jason] McCourty, those guys in the secondary, I think will help him, have him battle-tested, ready when the season starts.”

In training camp, players ideally are supposed to stay on their feet as a play ends. A receiver will make a catch, defenders will touch rather than tackle him, and he will “finish the play” by continuing to run even after it would have been over.

Griffin said it is part of the secondary’s job to help a young receiver figure out how to make smart choices at the end of a play.

“I think Reggie Wayne does a great job at it, when he catches the ball, when he realizes he can’t get any more yards, he gets down,” Griffin said. “But stopping right there in the line of traffic and what not, may possibly get [Hunter] hurt.

“Especially one play where he ran across the middle and he tries to stop and turn back the other way and go in the middle of the field. I mean there are defensive players running all over the place. Just for safety precautions on himself. Out here he is all safe and all. Come in two weeks when you play the Washington Redskins, you do one of those things, no telling what’s going to happen, tearing up your knees stopping suddenly or somebody dives into the leg or whatnot.”

The Titans have a somewhat lousy history of young receivers suffering lingering leg injuries. Hopefully Hunter doesn't end up being another one of them. He can certainly do more to reduce the likelihood of that.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Jefferson_Shawn/b391a11b-e7c4-4903-973d-20f5499a7427

BIOGRAPHY

Shawn Jefferson enters his first season as the wide receivers coach with the Titans after spending eight seasons as a coach for the Detroit Lions, including the last five years as the wide receivers coach.

Under Jeffersons guidance last year, Calvin Johnson broke the NFL record for receiving yards in a season (1,964), which surpassed Jerry Rices 1995 record. In fact, over the five years that Jefferson coached Johnson, he led the NFL in receiving yards with 7,080, receiving touchdowns with 50 and receptions of 25 yards or more with 70. He also earned three Pro Bowl invitations (2010, 2011, 2012) and was named All Pro in 2011 and 2012.

In the 2011 season, the wide receiver corps helped the Lions offense reach new heights as the team set franchise marks for completions (423) and passing yards (5,071). Johnson set a then-career mark with 1,681 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. WR Nate Burleson posted a career-high 73 receptions and rookie WR Titus Young totaled 48 grabs.

He originally joined the Lions in 2005 as a coaching assistant. He was promoted to offensive assistant in 2006 and assistant wide receivers coach in 2007.

After his NFL career was complete, he joined the coaching ranks as a volunteer coach at his high school alma mater, Williams Raines H.S. in 2004.

A 13-year NFL veteran, Jefferson played for four teams (San Diego, New England, Atlanta, Detroit), totaled 195 games played, 7,023 receiving yards and two Super Bowls appearances (XXXIX with the Chargers and XXXI with the Patriots). Jefferson was originally a ninth-round selection of the Houston Oilers in 1991. He played his college football at Central Florida.

Raised in Florida, Jefferson and his wife Marla have two daughters, Paige and Faith; and a son, Shawn Jr.

Shawn Jefferson Coaching Ledger:

2013: Wide Receivers, Tennessee Titans

2008-12: Wide Receivers, Detroit Lions

2007: Assistant Wide Recievers, Detroit Lions

2006: Offensive Assistant, Detroit Lions

2005: Coaching Assistant, Detroit Lions

2004: Volunteer Coach, Williams Raines H.S. (Jacksonville, Fla.)

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Jefferson_Shawn/b391a11b-e7c4-4903-973d-20f5499a7427

BIOGRAPHY

Shawn Jefferson enters his first season as the wide receivers coach with the Titans after spending eight seasons as a coach for the Detroit Lions, including the last five years as the wide receivers coach.

Under Jeffersons guidance last year, Calvin Johnson broke the NFL record for receiving yards in a season (1,964), which surpassed Jerry Rices 1995 record. In fact, over the five years that Jefferson coached Johnson, he led the NFL in receiving yards with 7,080, receiving touchdowns with 50 and receptions of 25 yards or more with 70. He also earned three Pro Bowl invitations (2010, 2011, 2012) and was named All Pro in 2011 and 2012.

In the 2011 season, the wide receiver corps helped the Lions offense reach new heights as the team set franchise marks for completions (423) and passing yards (5,071). Johnson set a then-career mark with 1,681 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. WR Nate Burleson posted a career-high 73 receptions and rookie WR Titus Young totaled 48 grabs.

He originally joined the Lions in 2005 as a coaching assistant. He was promoted to offensive assistant in 2006 and assistant wide receivers coach in 2007.

After his NFL career was complete, he joined the coaching ranks as a volunteer coach at his high school alma mater, Williams Raines H.S. in 2004.

A 13-year NFL veteran, Jefferson played for four teams (San Diego, New England, Atlanta, Detroit), totaled 195 games played, 7,023 receiving yards and two Super Bowls appearances (XXXIX with the Chargers and XXXI with the Patriots). Jefferson was originally a ninth-round selection of the Houston Oilers in 1991. He played his college football at Central Florida.

Raised in Florida, Jefferson and his wife Marla have two daughters, Paige and Faith; and a son, Shawn Jr.

Shawn Jefferson Coaching Ledger:

2013: Wide Receivers, Tennessee Titans

2008-12: Wide Receivers, Detroit Lions

2007: Assistant Wide Recievers, Detroit Lions

2006: Offensive Assistant, Detroit Lions

2005: Coaching Assistant, Detroit Lions

2004: Volunteer Coach, Williams Raines H.S. (Jacksonville, Fla.)
hes seen his share of failures during his time at the Lions

Pollard rips into HunterJuly 27th, 2013 | by JOHN GLENNON, The Tennessean |
fbCommentCount.png
0 Comments

toolbar_04.png

toolbar_07.png

Strong safety Bernard Pollard spent part of Saturday’s practice blistering the ears of rookie wide receiver Justin Hunter with some choice expletives.

Pollard said afterward it was nothing personal, but that he was merely trying to get the second-round pick from Tennessee used to playing in the NFL.

“Being a second-round pick … we messing with you,” said Pollard, who was a second-rounder back in 2006. “We need you to produce . We want you to produce. This team is expecting you to produce. So I think if we can get into his head now, Sundays will be a lot easier. So that’s our goal, to get our offense as good as possible.”

It appeared Pollard was giving Hunter a very hard time about his ability to come across the middle on pass plays. But Pollard said it wasn’t necessarily that.

“You know, we’re just gonna’ mess with him every time,” he said. “Just draft picks, period, we gonna’ mess with them. We’re gonna’ have fun out there. We understand this is our livelihood but at the same time it’s still a game.

“So for us messing with him, it’s getting him to understand what it’s like on Sundays, because he’ll be going against guys that are All-Pros that are going to do their best to get into (his) head. So if we can try to break him down as much as possible, and at the same time lift him back up, it’ll be all good.”

Hunter said Pollard had been telling him – in so many words – not to come across the middle.

“It’s part of the game,” Hunter said. “You know, you don’t really listen … But somebody talks to you, you gonna’ talk back and everything. That’s just being a man and all that, being competitive.”

Hunter said he had no problem with Pollard’s vocal manner: “That’s what we need.”
http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2013/07/27/pollard-rips-into-hunter/

interesting read, but I don't think it's as bad for Hunter as the rotoworld blurb made it out to be

THE FORCE IS STRONG IN THIS SKYWALKER!

worth pointing out that hunter is, yes, an exceptional or rare athlete... there are a lot of great athletes in the NFL... so, to be more precise, hunter was a world class athlete in his age group... below are i think from state track meet as prep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls4g5n_PjAs

he was a champion high (7'3"), triple and long jumper (3 & 1/4" shy of 26'?)...

the long jump set a state record for VA...

i think he was national champ in long jump, and represented US in junior world championships...

guessing being a world class long jumper precluded year round, NFL style strength training (he also may well have valued being lean and light to be more explosive - you don't see too many david boston-looking dudes jumping as far as carl lewis :) )... i think RGIII has seriously thought about competing in the olympics as a hurdler (at one time he was at that level, or on track for it)... as far as i know, hunter isn't an olympic caliber long jumper, so if he dedicates and devotes himself to rigourous NFL-style nutrition, strength training, conditioning regimen, doesn't seem to much of a stretch to suggest he could get somewhat bigger and stronger in a year or two (plus just physical maturation and development)... he would probably be best served to not bulk up too much, as it is his elite explosiveness (for such a long athlete) that makes him special...

he has a personal best (wiki cite) of low 10.5 100 m (10.52, nearly 10.4... incidentally, if you didn't know HOW fast hunter was (i didn't), you may not know HOW fast former teammate patterson is (i didn't)... depending on cite, lists his best marks as anywhere from 10.3 to 10.5... that would remarkable, because i think in his case, he didn't have formal track/block/start training (think how fast he could have been if he had?)...

not just a track star, in the sense of a track athlete trying to play football (think jeff demps)... hunter is a football player that happens to have a world class combination of size/speed/hops... check the clip below, starting at approx. 3:12 mark, after catching the pass in stride... if there was such a thing as a multimedia scouting terminolgy syllabus, and you looked up the phrase - explodes past the DB in the open field, this could be an exemplar... it is this kind of soaring, off the charts, elite, blue chip athleticism that makes hunter's story compelling to me... if it comes to together for him, you have a freakish WR prodigy that can destroy DB coverage cushions, get on top of them instantly, run away from them in the open field and if all else fails, elude them if necessary... if he gets a little stronger and shows better concentration and tenacity, not insurmountable issues (his God given talent and athletic gifts are the ones that can't be earned, just a rare few are fortunate enough to have them bestowed), he appears to have the raw material and tools to become a dominant force in the air (like calvin, fitz, dez, green)... for all the great things austin projects to do in the NFL, and i am expecting big things from him, a dominant force in the air isn't one of them... and hunter may be as fast as austin, at least in terms of long speed (though not as quick, nobody is)...

vague percentage assignment dept. - if hunter is 75% as good as moss (and they share a lot of rare physical gifts and supreme athletic ability), that could make him better than 90% to 95% of the mere mortal WRs in the NFL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFykvxt0Cg8

breakdown of strengths and weaknesses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRnOL2qfXH8

i would (and have) take austin and patterson before hunter... probably hopkins, too, because, though his presumed ceiling isn't as high, it is still pretty high, and he has a compellingly strong floor... hunter probably does have more bust risk (or at risk to be just average, i think hopkins figures to be at least really good in most projections)... but i like hunter more than allen and woods and any other WR in this class... based on pedigree, that is probably what we would expect... hopkins, patterson and hunter went within a handful or so of picks straddling the late first and early second... hunter has become one of my favorite WR prospects from the class of '13, with austin and teammate patterson, looking forward to how their pro careers unfold in their respective NFL "laboratory experiments"...

* great thread starter by matt...

** bonus track-related intel...

PIT 3rd rounder marcus wheaton is also extremely fast, like sprinter, track star fast... below clip, he is defeats oregon star deanthony thomas... that bodes well for a prospect that the steelers may view as eventual replacement for departed mike wallace's skill set...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrSd7wOILoE

Rotoworld:

Titans WRs coach Shawn Jefferson has "continued to ride" rookie Justin Hunter in training camp, "demanding more intensity and mental toughness."
Per the Tennessean's John Glennon, Jefferson "lit up" Hunter "with some choice language" following a Tuesday practice drill. Hunter has drawn the ire of coaches and teammates (e.g. Bernard Pollard) alike through the first week of camp. Known as soft both mentally and in terms of on-field play at Tennessee, Hunter will have to take a big leap to be a serious rookie-season factor.

Source: Jonathan Hutton on Twitter
The Rotoworld bias is strong in this one...

not just a track star, in the sense of a track athlete trying to play football (think jeff demps)... hunter is a football player that happens to have a world class combination of size/speed/hops
I think the jury is out on that one.

But if that ends up being true, he should be a star.

scroll down to the bottom of this page, there are several photos of hunter in mid-flight... in the first one, he is getting some serious air, and it reminded me of some shots of dez bryant a year or two ago in oxnard at training camp skying for a pass... another year removed from his ACL tear, hopefully he can play at a level closer to his pre-knee injury form, when he looked like he could be the top WR in the class (he still could turn out to be that)...

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/7/31/4576804/titans-training-camp-recap-july-31-2013

not just a track star, in the sense of a track athlete trying to play football (think jeff demps)... hunter is a football player that happens to have a world class combination of size/speed/hops
I think the jury is out on that one.

But if that ends up being true, he should be a star.
I see very little middle ground for Hunter - he'll either be a star or backup.

britt needs to have a good year to be retained probably... besides off the field trouble (don't think he has been suspended by league, despite something like half a dozen run ins with law since rookie year), their have been medical issues... not too many question his talent if he gets it together...

but if he doesn't, that could make hunter the most talented WR on roster... if britt is re-signed, i used to think that would automatically hold hunter back as WR3 in that case... but it sounds like the titans like britt and hunter on outside, with wright (who had a pretty good rookie season, and probably could have been even better if titans and locker had played better) in slot...

the team does throw to chris johnson, and claim they intend to involve free agent TE delanie walker more than they did underused jared cook, so that could potentially be at least five mouth to feed...

so hypothetically, if hunter broke out and fulfilled his prodigious athletic potential, and britt is retained, stays healthy and out of trouble and continues to develope, and wright improves on his rookie year and shows development...

how would the three young titans WRs be ranked on talent and ability, and what would the receiving distribution look like?

Hunter is not doing well right now and seems to have a knack for aggravating everyone. He needs to get it together.

There's articles on Jefferson laying into him, Pollard another day and....it's concerning

Roto sure does have it out for this guy, don't coaches and Vets get on Rookies all the time?
sounds to me like he missed time and came back a primadonna. Munchak is too hard nosed as are his boys so they are letting him know that won't fly in TEN. I have little doubt they'll get that out of him, change that mindset.

Biggest concern is not going 100% all the time. Some have him taking cheap shots from the D while others say finish the play it's not cheap at all. The Titans staff seems to view this as play 100% effort and we don't even have this discussion.

The quotes on Wright are awesome this TC. I think already that Hunter lost any chance of starting over him.

As always Mariani and Williams are hungry and doing everything right dying for a chance to play. Nate Washington is a predictable good effort, average player.

Hunter has done nothing to find a niche in this O and he better. They went from about handing him the third WR spot to who is this primadonna? Again, I totally expect this gets straightened out quickly.

Until then, enjoy(maybe wrong word here, bitter) the Pollard quotes and stories of defenders keying up on the primadonna WR. This is everything I wished would happen with Moss and Owens and the junk mindset so many WRs had way back then. Hunter may have tons of talent, but they will hit him hard til he changes.

Roto sure does have it out for this guy, don't coaches and Vets get on Rookies all the time?
sounds to me like he missed time and came back a primadonna. Munchak is too hard nosed as are his boys so they are letting him know that won't fly in TEN. I have little doubt they'll get that out of him, change that mindset.

Biggest concern is not going 100% all the time. Some have him taking cheap shots from the D while others say finish the play it's not cheap at all. The Titans staff seems to view this as play 100% effort and we don't even have this discussion.

The quotes on Wright are awesome this TC. I think already that Hunter lost any chance of starting over him.

As always Mariani and Williams are hungry and doing everything right dying for a chance to play. Nate Washington is a predictable good effort, average player.

Hunter has done nothing to find a niche in this O and he better. They went from about handing him the third WR spot to who is this primadonna? Again, I totally expect this gets straightened out quickly.

Until then, enjoy(maybe wrong word here, bitter) the Pollard quotes and stories of defenders keying up on the primadonna WR. This is everything I wished would happen with Moss and Owens and the junk mindset so many WRs had way back then. Hunter may have tons of talent, but they will hit him hard til he changes.
Not everyone has such a negative pov on hunter.

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/8/2/4581012/titans-training-camp-mailbag-august-1-2013http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/8/2/4581012/titans-training-camp-mailbag-august-1-2013
http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/8/2/4581012/titans-training-camp-mailbag-august-1-2013

i do like hunter better in dynasty than redraft...

i could be off base, but i'm pretty sure the organization values hunter far more importantly for the future than pollard...

not sure wright's snap counts will impact on hunter if they intend the former to be used on the inside more... britt, if healthy, will be on outside... whether TEN wants to re-sign him in 2014 will seemingly be contingent on how he looks and does this year, perhaps off field factors will weigh in the decision as well... it sounds like the team also wants hunter to be on the outside ...

* quote from cosell...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/28/mining-the-2013-nfl-draft-for-the-not-so-obvious-contributors-part-2/

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell had this to say about Hunter, “(Hunter) is, without question, the most explosive as a route runner with his long body, route fluidity, vertical speed and playmaking ability at the catch point.” Cosell also noticed that he had recaptured “legitimate acceleration and vertical explosion that clearly projects to the NFL” and “will impact games.” He went on to compare Hunter to a raw AJ Green.

Not everyone has such a negative pov on hunter.

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/8/2/4581012/titans-training-camp-mailbag-august-1-2013http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/8/2/4581012/titans-training-camp-mailbag-august-1-2013
http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/8/2/4581012/titans-training-camp-mailbag-august-1-2013
I think he'll be fine.

Shawn Jefferson, his coach, was heard from a distance, well into the fans on several occasions getting on Hunter.

Hunter is just maturing, I'm not worried about it. I know it's not pc but I do think the Titans are handling it right because that is exactly what opposing teams will do if he takes plays off.

I imagine this is quite common.

You've used primadonna at least 3 times in this post... is that something you are inferring from the reported tongue-lashings he's received from Pollard and his position coach or something else?

Rotoworld:

Rookie WR Justin Hunter had two drops, "including one that bounced off his chest" in the Titans' Saturday intrasquad scrimmage.
Drops were a major problem for Hunter at Tennessee in 2012, where he was one of the least efficient receivers in the nation. Despite an A.J. Green-like body type and movement, Hunter lacks natural hands. He's also been the heavy target of criticism by coaches and teammates at spring and summer practices.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

You've used primadonna at least 3 times in this post... is that something you are inferring from the reported tongue-lashings he's received from Pollard and his position coach or something else?
Thanks for the word count.

Rotoworld :heart: 's Hunter

The Titans' coaching staff was "very mad" at rookie WR Justin Hunter after he failed to get a first down on his lone catch in Thursday's preseason opener.

Hunter would have had a first down on 3rd-and-5 in the third quarter, but "retreated a step or two in an attempt to get more out of the play" and was tackled short of the sticks. It's a mistake typical of young players trying to make a big play. "They were waiting for me," Hunter said. "They were trying to get me to understand that when it’s third down, get what you can and get down." It's not a huge gaffe in and of itself, but yet another indication that Hunter has a ways to go with the mental side of the game. He's not going to be a redraft-league factor.
I actually think it's a good thing that the Titans staff's on him like they are. I think it means they expect big things from him.

The Titans' coaching staff was "very mad" at rookie WR Justin Hunter after he failed to get a first down on his lone catch in Thursday's preseason opener.

Hunter would have had a first down on 3rd-and-5 in the third quarter, but "retreated a step or two in an attempt to get more out of the play" and was tackled short of the sticks. It's a mistake typical of young players trying to make a big play. "They were waiting for me," Hunter said. "They were trying to get me to understand that when it’s third down, get what you can and get down." It's not a huge gaffe in and of itself, but yet another indication that Hunter has a ways to go with the mental side of the game. He's not going to be a redraft-league factor.
I actually think it's a good thing that the Titans staff's on him like they are. I think it means they expect big things from him.
I don't get the crusade Rotoworld is on against him.

sounds to me like he missed time and came back a primadonna. Munchak is too hard nosed as are his boys so they are letting him know that won't fly in TEN. I have little doubt they'll get that out of him, change that mindset.Biggest concern is not going 100% all the time. Some have him taking cheap shots from the D while others say finish the play it's not cheap at all. The Titans staff seems to view this as play 100% effort and we don't even have this discussion.

Thanks for the word count.
Then stop with the hyperbolic overreaction. The guy asked a fair question. Where are you getting the "primadonna" stuff? You're inferring that from a few blurbs that essentially mean very little?

A vet riding a rookie? Oh no!! A position coach riding a rookie (kind of his job)? Oh no!! What exactly have you read anywhere that suggests Hunter's attitude is poor or anything along those lines? He isn't finishing training camp reps sufficiently? It's a big stretch to go from that to "primadonna".

lbouchard said:
Andy Dufresne said:

Hunter would have had a first down on 3rd-and-5 in the third quarter, but "retreated a step or two in an attempt to get more out of the play" and was tackled short of the sticks. It's a mistake typical of young players trying to make a big play. "They were waiting for me," Hunter said. "They were trying to get me to understand that when its third down, get what you can and get down." It's not a huge gaffe in and of itself, but yet another indication that Hunter has a ways to go with the mental side of the game. He's not going to be a redraft-league factor.
I don't get the crusade Rotoworld is on against him.
You'd think the dolphins drafted him.

Rotoworld's commentary can be crap. I remember following their "analysis" for Andre Roberts over the course of the last two seasons. They would never give him any credit for anything and would often imply that Early Doucet was better than him. Similar story with Jermaine Gresham. He had a very solid season last year and yet their writers would always imply that he was a disappointment, not a good FF option, etc. Their writers inject a lot of their own shoddy subjective opinions into their blurbs.

Dear Rotoworld, Hunter is nothing like AJ Green in terms of movement.
maybe in body type (both long, skinny*), and they can both sky... espn commentator mcshay invoked the green comparison during draft, he did qualify it by saying similarity, not exact comp...

hunter is faster...

green has much better hands, and of course far more accomplished...

i think green might have some of the best WR combined stats in first two years ever...

* of the elite young WRs (i'd include AJ, dez, julio and demaryius), the others are between 220-230... green might be under 210... so green could be a positive indicator and shining example that WRs with that body type can succeed in NFL, even if they aren't exact comps in a crude, one-to-one-correspondence kind of way... this is a question that has been raised about hunter, and in fairness, he is even skinnier than green (200 lbs?)... i would expect hunter to put on at least 10 lbs in next year...

green has already been in league few years, and based on hard knocks footage, he still looks extremely svelte, so perhaps based on body type, diet, metabolism, etc... not everybody able to put on as much weight... and maybe green likes weight he is at, and thinks it helps him to be faster, quicker, have better hops and in general be more explosive...

for hunter's long term projection, getting a little bigger and stronger could make him more effective escaping the jam off the line of scrimmage so he can get into his routes with less disruption and stay on schedule, and to help wrangle with DBs contesting position and the ball on downfield passes...

Green has very good natural strength despite his skinny frame, from high school up to now. Hunter simply does not.

Green is like the football version of Kevin Durant and Kevin Garnett, two tall and skinny, yet strong guys.

Hunter is like Javale McGee.

Green has very good natural strength despite his skinny frame, from high school up to now. Hunter simply does not.

Green is like the football version of Kevin Durant and Kevin Garnett, two tall and skinny, yet strong guys.

Hunter is like Javale McGee.
i was just making the point some might compare them based on things like length, hops, athleticism...

i agree with you that doesn't mean identical, and perhaps they have more differences than similarities...

i'm hopeful he can put on some weight with year round, pro style weight training... if he can close the gap between some WRs "natural" strength, that would make him more effective...

he was a competitive track athlete (7'3" high jump, nearly 26' long jump broke VA state record, he may have had best in nation as prep, 10.5 100 m.), also at tennessee... aside from the fact he may have preferred being streamlined, just time-wise the time he spent on track probably precluded intensive weight training that typical football prospects would get anywhere from 7-8 years in high school and college (depending on how early they come out) he missed out on...

i'm not really high on his redraft value (that goes for most rookies, except for austin and hopkins), but much more so in dynasty... it will be interesting to see what kind kind of weight and strength he can add in next year or two...

Users who are viewing this thread