What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UDFA Players - post news & info here for what teams they sign with (1 Viewer)

Altered offense won’t leave Patriots lackingBen Volin

Excerpt:

Sudfeld, an undrafted rookie from Nevada who is working almost exclusively with the starting offense now, was also a revelation for many outsiders. An athletic 6-foot-7-inch target, he made several acrobatic catches in practice last week.

“I know you’re going to be missing a tight end but that guy right there, he’s got all the skills you need,” said Eagles radio announcer Mike Quick, a five-time Pro Bowl receiver. “He has the basketball moves inside, he knows how to uncover. Two days in a row I’ve watched him carve up the inside of the defense.”

Patriots UDFA WR Kenbrell Thompkins continues to take the first-string reps at practice.
We're three weeks into camp and Thompkins hasn't slowed down. Per beat writer Mike Reiss, his "consistency has been impressive throughout camp." Second-round rookie Aaron Dobson has come on as well, but it appears clear Thompkins is in the lead for the starting "X" job. He's shaping up as a strong flier in the back of fantasy drafts.

Source: ESPN Boston

Jeff Tuel QB from Washington State has now had a real good scrimmage followed by an immaculate performance in the second half of the Bills preseason game vs the Colts. You could make the argument that he's been a more impressive passer than Manuel in both outings. Tuel is now looking like he's going to carve himself a roster spot for sure and possibly even beat out Kolb for the second string spot. We're still a ways from that happening but Kolb now needs to really step up his game to hold off both of Buffalo's rookie qb's.

Rotoworld:

Zach Sudfeld continues to take the majority of first-team reps at Patriots practices.
The Boston Globe believes Sudfeld is atop the depth chart, leaving Daniel Fells, Michael Hoomanawanui and Jake Ballard to compete for two roster spots. Much like Kenbrell Thompkins, it's an astounding rise from undrafted rookie to starter in one of the game's top offenses. Sudfeld, slated to handle Rob Gronkowski's "flex" role, is an ideal late-round flier. No one knows if Gronk will start off the year on PUP.

Related: Michael Hoomanawanui, Jake Ballard, Kenbrell Thompkins, Daniel Fells

Source: Boston Globe

Rotoworld:

UDFA WR Russell Shepard has "been quiet of late" at Eagles camp.
Shepard started off on fire early in camp, making a push for the No. 2 wideout job following Jeremy Maclin's injury. Now Philly Mag believes he's fighting for one roster spot with Greg Salas. The Eagles are far more likely to use blocking wideout Riley Cooper and Damaris Johnson (a poor man's Tavon Austin) opposite DeSean Jackson. Jason Avant is a strict slot receiver.

Related: Riley Cooper, Damaris Johnson

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7

Best of the rest: NFL rookies who went undrafted but not unnoticedPat Kirwan

As I complete my annual summer camp tour and review my notes from all the practices, interviews and videos, it's always fun to look at the undrafted rookies that are making a statement in their first camp.

They show up, like college walk-ons, camp bodies to fill out the 90-man roster, be part of the scout team, hold bags during drills and probably not even being asked to sing their college fight songs for veterans because no one thinks they will make the team.

These guys weren't paying attention to hurdles in the way. They never thought it's too much of a long shot to fulfill their dream of making an NFL team.

I have a special place in my heart for guys who defy odds and make it. I signed Wayne Chrebet back in the day when no one thought the 5-foot-10 kid from Hofstra had a chance. The rest is history.

With the salary cap so restrictive for many clubs, they need undrafted rookies to hit the one-in-a-hundred shot and be a team contributor. The presence of an undrafted rookie does more to offset a big veteran contract than any other single player on the roster.

As I traveled around the camp tour I was reminded of the some undrafted guys having nice careers: Alex Boone from Ohio State starting for the 49ers, Steve McLendon starting at nose tackle for the Steelers, Ramon Foster starting at guard for the Steelers, Tashon Gibson starting at safety for Cleveland, Ian Williams now the nose tackle for the 49ers and Duke Ihenacho fighting for the starting strong safety spot in Denver in his second season.

This year was no different. Seven undrafted guys really jump out at me. Don't look at a depth chart, because they are still stuck in the back. Don't ask any scouts why they weren't drafted late in the seventh round, because you won't get a good answer.

But they're competing, with a chip on their shoulder, and I think all seven will make a 2013 roster.

1. RB Dennis Johnson (Arkansas), Texans: Great return skills and much better RB skills than you may think. He makes guys miss and can drop his shoulder and play bigger than his 5-foot-9, 210-pound body says he should.

2. OLB Willie Jefferson (Stephen F. Austin), Texans: Jefferson has natural bend, flexibility and explosion off a block. He's a better pass rusher than most of the drafted rookies at his position. At slightly over 6-5 and now close to 245 pounds, he's a real find.

3. WR Da'Rick Rogers (Tennessee Tech), Bills: He wasn't because of off-field problems but has first-round talent. He made a few catches in front of me that were spectacular. If he is released he will be claimed within seconds.

4. TE Zach Sudfeld (Nevada), Patriots: The Patriots have tight end issues. Sudfeld is benefiting from the extra time and delivering. The 6-6, 250-pounder can play from the slot or at H-back and will be a factor.

5. RB C.J. Anderson (California), Broncos: Anderson is a 5-8, 225-pound fireplug who is sudden with good change of direction and is turning heads in Denver. He will not clear waivers if the club tries to get him to the practice squad. Anderson sprained his knee this week and will miss a few weeks recovering, but remains in the mix.

6. WR Lamaar Thomas (New Mexico), Broncos: Anytime Peyton Manning sits down to talk football with me and says he's impressed with an undrafted rookie I take notice. Thomas can run routes and looks like he can make things happen after the catch.

7. QB Matt McGloin (Penn State), Raiders: Maybe it's the lack of talent at QB on this roster but McGloin, a former college walk-on, impressed when I've seen him. People in the Bay Area were excited about him when I was out there.

Big week for Jayson DiManche at LB for the Bengals coming up especially with Sean Porter possibly going on IR for a torn labrum. DiManche had 5 tackles in last week's game. Per CincyJungle the battle for the last 2 LB roster spots is shaping up to be between him and Vinnie Rey, J.K. Schaffer and possibly Bruce Taylor (another UDFA).

-QG

Rotoworld:

According to the Baltimore Sun, the Ravens were more comfortable cutting Visanthe Shiancoe due to UDFA TE Matt Furstenburg's impressive August.
Furstenburg has four catches for 54 yards through three preseason games, including gains of 17 and 24. He's also been shining in practices. Furstenburg ran a 4.62 forty coming out of Maryland and projects as a possible long-term "move" tight end. He's going to make the Ravens behind Dallas Clark and Ed Dickson. Furstenburg is squarely on the radar in deeper Dynasty leagues.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Coach Doug Marrone told reporters Monday the Bills are currently planning to start UDFA QB Jeff Tuel in Week 1 against the Patriots.
Marrone is still "hoping" E.J. Manuel (knee scope) will be able to play, but there are no guarantees and the Bills would be smart to avoid rushing their franchise-quarterback hopeful's recovery. Undrafted out of Washington State, Tuel played under Mike Leach for the Cougars and showed "very little arm strength" on college film, according to ex-NFL scout Russ Lande. Expect C.J. Spiller to pile up carries in the opener, even if Buffalo falls behind.

Source: Tim Graham on Twitter

Dolphins waived WR Courtney Gardner.
Gardner was a popular UDFA out of Sierra College with plus measurables and a junior college All-American background, but he's now been let go by two teams since April's draft. The Dolphins believe Joe Hastings has more upside.

Related: Dolphins
If anyone else cares what happened to him, he was signed by the AFL's Orlando Predators.

Users who are viewing this thread