What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Underrated 90s sitcoms (1 Viewer)

kupcho1

Footballguy
I got free Hulu recently (T-Mobile I think) and started looking for shows that I was relatively familiar with (i.e., watched infrequently) and wanted to revisit.
Up first: Just Shoot Me

This show holds up very well if you ignore some of the stuff that probably wouldn't fly today. But that's true for just about every show from that era and frankly, 2000s as well.

The cast is outstanding: George Segal, David Spade, Laura San Giacomo, Wendy Malick, Enrico Colantoni all shine here, particularly Spade's Dennis Finch. (In fact I'd probably give Spade the nod over Howerton's Dennis, or Dennis the Menace for that matter, as far as TV's best Dennis goes.)

Guests have been great: Jessica Walter, Steve Carell, Brian Dennehy, Megan Mullally and a whole host of supermodels (e.g., Rebecca Romijn, Tyra Banks).

I'm only a few episodes into season 3 (of 7) and can't wait to get to the one episode I absolutely remember: the one (of 3) with David Cross as Elliot's brother Donnie.

Anyway, I'm sure this isn't the only hole in my 90s sitcom roster.

Watcha got?

I got free Hulu recently (T-Mobile I think) and started looking for shows that I was relatively familiar with (i.e., watched infrequently) and wanted to revisit.

This show holds up very well if you ignore some of the stuff that probably wouldn't fly today. But that's true for just about every show from that era and frankly, 2000s as well.

The cast is outstanding: George Segal, David Spade, Laura San Giacomo, Wendy Malick, Enrico Colantoni all shine here, particularly Spade's Dennis Finch. (In fact I'd probably give Spade the nod over Howerton's Dennis, or Dennis the Menace for that matter, as far as TV's best Dennis goes.)

Guests have been great: Jessica Walter, Steve Carell, Brian Dennehy, Megan Mullally and a whole host of supermodels (e.g., Rebecca Romijn, Tyra Banks).

I'm only a few episodes into season 3 (of 7) and can't wait to get to the one episode I absolutely remember: the one (of 3) with David Cross as Elliot's brother Donnie.

Watcha got?

Yeah David Cross kills it in this

I love your music thread, but this didn't start well. I'm thinking it's the premise more than anything else.

Yeah you're speaking my language. This is a formational genre for me. Too many in my head to even know where to start. Always thought we should have had more of "The John Larroquette Show", and, not enough attention was paid to "The Steven Banks Show", the rare PBS sitcom.

Watcha got?
This was one of the few shows I watched regularly in the '90s. So was Newsradio. In addition to those you mentioned, Brian Posehn of Mr. Show and other stuff had a recurring role.

Watcha got?

Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot piiiiieeee!

Watcha got?

Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot piiiiieeee!
Green Quarter!

Considering how few Emmy nominations it got over the course of the series, I will say The Drew Carey Show.

Sadly, because the music the show often used has made it difficult to stream (unless something has changed), it hasn't had a real chance of getting new life with new viewers in recent years.

My favorite Coach related anecdote is that the college Adam Thielen played football at was based off the tv show

Wait, they tried to emulate Coach? Or Coach's team was based on Minnesota State?
Mankato State in Minnesota changed their name to Minnesota State in 1998 and I think changed their school colors to purple and yellow like the team on Coach though they are the Mavericks.

Mankata State in Minnesota changed their name to Minnesota State in 1998 and I think changed their school colors to purple and yellow like the team on Coach though they are the Mavericks.

No ****. I thought he went to Mankato State, but his bio says Minnesota State. Mankato State had a hockey team, IIRC, and a pretty good one at that. So they really did that? Here I just thought you transposed something.

Mankata State in Minnesota changed their name to Minnesota State in 1998 and I think changed their school colors to purple and yellow like the team on Coach though they are the Mavericks.

No ****. I thought he went to Mankato State, but his bio says Minnesota State. Mankato State had a hockey team, IIRC, and a pretty good one at that. So they really did that? Here I just thought you transposed something.
They really did though I am sure it was more about marketing than trying to capture anything from a cancelled midtier sitcom but who knows.

Coach was great. My favorite Coach related anecdote is that the college Adam Thielen played football at was based off the tv show.
Minnesota State was a fictional college when the show ran. But Mankato State University renamed itself Minnesota State after the show finished its run and Theilen attended it after the name change.

Frasier is underrated no matter how many plaudits it gets. That show was even better than the show it was spun off from, and that's saying something.
One of my favorite subtle sitcom moments was the reveal that Niles got a favorable divorce settlement from Maris despite having no leverage because he threatened to reveal that her family fortune came from urinal cakes, not steel like she had told her society friends.

Wasn't Freaks and Geeks a '90s sitcom?

That was underrated. Or maybe overrated by critics. Either way, I sure liked the show.
It was more a drama/comedy - of the hour long variety but one of my favorite shows - ton of talent evolved from that show.
I think that will forever go down as one of the most underrated shows that left viewers craving for more. Although looking back 20 years, it seems like it was better that it did end abruptly like that. Otherwise it might have dragged and no one would still be talking about it, other than it being a launchpad for so many of the actors.

I watched the first episode of the new Frasier reboot on Paramount. Man it’s brutal and I’m not giving it a second look.

I did not have high hopes and was not about to get Paramount to have them totally dashed. I didn't suspect much good would come from a reboot. Leave well enough alone already.

I watched the first episode of the new Frasier reboot on Paramount. Man it’s brutal and I’m not giving it a second look.

I did not have high hopes and was not about to get Paramount to have them totally dashed. I didn't suspect much good would come from a reboot. Leave well enough alone already.
I got Paramount for 1883 and 1923 and gave Frasier a shot while I was there. Don't think I laughed once during that half hour.

One of my favorite subtle sitcom moments was the reveal that Niles got a favorable divorce settlement from Maris despite having no leverage because he threatened to reveal that her family fortune came from urinal cakes, not steel like she had told her society friends.

I remember the urinal cakes. For the life of me I can't really remember the plot details and happenings in Hamlet, but I remember Maris's urinal cake fortune. Terrible how memory is so finicky.

My favorite Frasiers were those that starred his agent, Bebe Glazer. Every time she's on screen I'm in borderline hysterics how over-the-top she plays her. Probably my favorite sitcom dynamic ever.

That was underrated. Or maybe overrated by critics. Either way, I sure liked the show.
It was more a drama/comedy - of the hour long variety but one of my favorite shows - ton of talent evolved from that show.
I think that will forever go down as one of the most underrated shows that left viewers craving for more. Although looking back 20 years, it seems like it was better that it did end abruptly like that. Otherwise it might have dragged and no one would still be talking about it, other than it being a launchpad for so many of the actors.

It was too short lived, but it kind of had a perfect ending. I loved Daniel finally finding himself and having fun playing D&D with the Geeks and Lindsay going her own way, continuing on her path of “freakiness”.

I was too short lived, but it kind of had a perfect ending. I loved Daniel finally finding himself and having fun playing D&D with the Geeks and Lindsay going her own way, continuing on her path of “freakiness”.
There may be have been a F&G appreciation thread around here at some point, but if there isn’t, there ought to be one.

I remember the urinal cakes. For the life of me I can't really remember the plot details and happenings in Hamlet, but I remember Maris's urinal cake fortune. Terrible how memory is so finicky.

My favorite Frasiers were those that starred his agent, Bebe Glazer. Every time she's on screen I'm in borderline hysterics how over-the-top she plays her. Probably my favorite sitcom dynamic ever.
I remember laughing hysterically at many of her scenes.

The Niles/Daphne relationship got grating after a while, but everything else about the series was gold.

The reboot makes no sense to me, especially without David Hyde-Pierce involved. Did Grammer blow through his fortune again?

Users who are viewing this thread