What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Underrated 90s sitcoms (1 Viewer)

Newsradio

Herman’s Head

Get a Life with Chris Elliot.

Freaks and Geeks

The Ryan Reynolds vehicle, two guys, a girl and a pizza place

These were all pretty good. I wish Get a Life was streaming somewhere.
Get a Life has been up on YouTube regularly.

That Meat Locker 2000 episode is the high water mark of 90s comedy IMO.

Titus was an underrated late 90’s/early 00’s gem as well. Stacey Keach as the womanizing, hard drinking, unstoppable force as Papa Titus is like a top 10 sitcom character ever IMO. Only 3 seasons on Fox and the censors messed with the final season forcing eps to be aired out of order. You can watch the episodes on youtube now, Christopher Titus uploaded them during the pandemic.

What we once liked sometimes seems horrible now in some cases. Not 90s, but I tried watching some Magnum PI (original series) not long ago, a show I once liked, and I now consider the acting horrible.

You watch your mouth!

Grew up with a single mom so Magnum PI was about the coolest show we watched together so it hold s a special place in my heart. I will put it on from time for the nostalgia. It’s cool spotting old pre-fame guests too.

Last edited:
Titus was an underrated late 90’s/early 00’s gem as well. Stacey Keach as the womanizing, hard drinking, unstoppable force as Papa Titus is like a top 10 sitcom character ever IMO. Only 3 seasons on Fox and the censors messed with the final season forcing eps to be aired out of order. You can watch the episodes on youtube now, Christopher Titus uploaded them during the pandemic.

Dad Titus was the best.

Wasn't Freaks and Geeks a '90s sitcom?

That was underrated. Or maybe overrated by critics. Either way, I sure liked the show.
It was more a drama/comedy - of the hour long variety but one of my favorite shows - ton of talent evolved from that show.
I think that will forever go down as one of the most underrated shows that left viewers craving for more. Although looking back 20 years, it seems like it was better that it did end abruptly like that. Otherwise it might have dragged and no one would still be talking about it, other than it being a launchpad for so many of the actors.

It was too short lived, but it kind of had a perfect ending. I loved Daniel finally finding himself and having fun playing D&D with the Geeks and Lindsay going her own way, continuing on her path of “freakiness”.
loved how they wrapped up F & G - great finale considering I dont think Apatow knew it was a one and done. Great cast

I personally struggle with those that reject things because of the actors life outside of the show
News Radio was very funny--even with Joe Rogan in it.
Naked gun was a very funny movie..even with OJ it in it. And he was funny too
I will watch almost any Tom Cruise movie. Even though he's pretty much a wackadoodle.

Liked Home Improvement, Wings, Mad About you, Will and Grace, Just Shoot Me, Spin City(with MJ Fox), news radio.
All good shows.

I personally struggle with those that reject things because of the actors life outside of the show
I will watch almost any Tom Cruise movie. Even though he's pretty much a wackadoodle.

Liked Home Improvement, Wings, Mad About you, Will and Grace, Just Shoot Me, Spin City(with MJ Fox), news radio.
All good shows.
I know what OJ did, but what’s the beef with Rogan? I admit I don’t know much about him.

All good shows.
I know what OJ did, but what’s the beef with Rogan? I admit I don’t know much about him.
He has a lucrative podcast and some controversial opinions. Best to just google him because any in-depth discussion of that stuff here will get zapped.

All good shows.
He has a lucrative podcast and some controversial opinions. Best to just google him because any in-depth discussion of that stuff here will get zapped.
I wouldn’t let what what actors do in their personal lives affect what I think about their acting. Seems kind of silly and holier than thou mentality.

All good shows.
I wouldn’t let what what actors do in their personal lives affect what I think about their acting. Seems kind of silly and holier than thou mentality.
What are your thoughts on Woody Allen?

Getting a bit sidetracked here, but no way I could laugh at something like The Cosby Show the same way now. Maybe it’s holier than thou, but, yeah, I think I’m holier than Bill Cosby.

All good shows.
I never cared for him as an actor. Back in the day I thought he was overrated. He’s a better film maker than actor.

Last edited:

All good shows.
Love a lot of his movies.

Love Spin city, Heather Locklear in her prime as a bonus.

Probably like the 4th hottest woman who had a recurring role on the show.
:shock:

Actually, make that fifth. Carla Gugino, Connie Britton, Jennifer Esposito, Paula Marshall.
These two for sure. Not so sure about the other 2. Plus Locklear held up EXTREMELY well through the years. She was still gorgeous in her 50's.

I thought The Critic was interesting. It lasted like 1994-2000. Animated with Jon Lovitz as the main character. Had some great moments making fun of actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaKxRN2LdEI

I still use "He stinks!" in certain player threads in the SP from time to time.

Back to a previous issue, I understand why people wouldn't watch The Cosby Show with the same verve as they did before. Cosby presented himself as a black everyman, an archetype for both whites and blacks to live up to. His comedy and his show were based around his acceptance of bourgeois attitudes and generally aspiring towards the American dream while being black, which he admitted came with a whole lot of prejudice, prejudice that—importantly to him—could be overcome if only you worked hard and toed the line required to achieve the American dream. This meant accepting generally bourgeois attitudes and received mores and folkways. To follow received wisdom and to be a decent person at your core was huge for Cosby.

He sat as an honorary degree recipient at universities and colleges, and fancied himself a sort of model for blacks at the time who aspired to greater things in life than was generally their lot. He often criticized black responses to bourgeois white attitudes as extreme and undesirable. He was a bit of a morality policeman for the black community, and some resented him for it. Part of his act became this, and it was then embodied that to laugh with Cosby was to laugh with a certain eye at a certain way of life in the black community. He had personalized his act. Look no further than the title of his famous comedy album opus, entitled Himself

Dad is great
Gives us the chocolate cake . . .

His comeuppance for his despicable actions was a steep, tragic celebrity fall. He had held himself out as sort of a beacon of light, yet he had done untold damage to untold innocents. His act, which had ceased to simply be a comedic act even during his show, is now seen through that lens. That is why people aren't holier than thou when they can't watch Cosby with the same clean slate as they did before.

A modern parallel to Cosby might be Kanye West. Both attempted to bring black culture to white masses and both have been accepted by whites into mass culture. Both have understood the limitations of black nationalism as the answer to racial and social issues and have appealed to whites. And both have gone totally off the rails in their personal lives later in life, affecting countless others and doing much damage to themselves, their loved ones, and especially their acts in as much as an act can be commodified yet still respected as authentically black in America.

The threading the needle and appealing to both blacks and whites in America, something so difficult to do after the rise of black nationalism in the late '60s, either took its toll on two great artists or those artists were ****ed in the head to begin with.

Either way, it's almost impossible for me to watch Cosby without a great sense of sadness and I feel like I'm missing all the jokes and am questioning the veracity of the wisdom that he once dispensed, a wisdom that seemed so hard-won and deserved. It is no longer that way.

Last edited:
I watched the first episode of the new Frasier reboot on Paramount. Man it’s brutal and I’m not giving it a second look.

I did not have high hopes and was not about to get Paramount to have them totally dashed. I didn't suspect much good would come from a reboot. Leave well enough alone already.
I got Paramount for 1883 and 1923 and gave Frasier a shot while I was there. Don't think I laughed once during that half hour.
When will 1923 second season come out? Stupid writers strike.

I watched the first episode of the new Frasier reboot on Paramount. Man it’s brutal and I’m not giving it a second look.

I did not have high hopes and was not about to get Paramount to have them totally dashed. I didn't suspect much good would come from a reboot. Leave well enough alone already.
I got Paramount for 1883 and 1923 and gave Frasier a shot while I was there. Don't think I laughed once during that half hour.
When will 1923 second season come out? Stupid writers strike.
I read 2025

Users who are viewing this thread