What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Underrated 90s sitcoms (2 Viewers)

The reboot makes no sense to me, especially without David Hyde-Pierce involved. Did Grammer blow through his fortune again?

:shrugs: I honestly don't follow what he does. I tend to not get involved in the workings of modern celebrities at all. My television is never turned on unless it's a sporting event, so I really don't know what's going on. Frasier is something I know from when I used to watch television.

Andy **** gets a pass but Rogan is a bridge too far?

I was kidding with Dave Foley, but I figured it was one of those two, actually. I just figured I'd make light of it instead of politicking up the thread like I generously did over in tim's music countdown.

The reboot makes no sense to me, especially without David Hyde-Pierce involved. Did Grammer blow through his fortune again?

:shrugs: I honestly don't follow what he does. I tend to not get involved in the workings of modern celebrities at all. My television is never turned on unless it's a sporting event, so I really don't know what's going on. Frasier is something I know from when I used to watch television.
I know nothing about him but last summer he was at a Sports Bar in Asbury “tending bar” while promoting some craft beer his name was attached to. I didn’t attend but read about it.

One of my favorite subtle sitcom moments was the reveal that Niles got a favorable divorce settlement from Maris despite having no leverage because he threatened to reveal that her family fortune came from urinal cakes, not steel like she had told her society friends.

I remember the urinal cakes. For the life of me I can't really remember the plot details and happenings in Hamlet, but I remember Maris's urinal cake fortune. Terrible how memory is so finicky.

My favorite Frasiers were those that starred his agent, Bebe Glazer. Every time she's on screen I'm in borderline hysterics how over-the-top she plays her. Probably my favorite sitcom dynamic ever.
I remember laughing hysterically at many of her scenes.

The Niles/Daphne relationship got grating after a while, but everything else about the series was gold.

I got the impression that this reboot wasn't his idea, but was pitched to him. I am sure it involved a lot of money, so it is hard to blame him for saying no. I haven't bothered with it, as the reviews/feedback have been mostly not good, but the original Frasier series is definitely top notch.

What sort of drugs is he doing to go broke like that? What is he binge buying? Islands of Coca?
I wasn’t trying to imply he was broke. I don’t know anything about his personal life. That beer may have been very successful for him for all I know. I actually thought the tie in with guest bartending was kind of clever and may have went - don’t remember why I did not.

Andy **** Richard(because **** is censored here)gets a pass but Rogan is a bridge too far?
Rogan is funny on that show. **** gets grating but was ok in small doses on that show.

The only real reason to watch was Phil Hartman though.
Yeah, the last season with Jon Lovitz replacing Hartman should be a pass.

Stephen Root as Jimmy James was great too.

And I was trying to avoid getting into politics, etc. but I‘ll reveal that my post was about Rogan and **** before people keep going and reveal something to destroy my adolescent views of Maura Tierney.

Andy **** Richard(because **** is censored here)gets a pass but Rogan is a bridge too far?
Rogan is funny on that show. **** gets grating but was ok in small doses on that show.

The only real reason to watch was Phil Hartman though.
Yeah, the last season with Jon Lovitz replacing Hartman should be a pass.

Stephen Root as Jimmy James was great too.

And I was trying to avoid getting into politics, etc. but I‘ll reveal that my post was about Rogan and **** before people keep going and reveal something to destroy my adolescent views of Maura Tierney.
As far as I know, Tierney has done nothing cancel-worthy. So your teen self can relax.

Yeah you're speaking my language. This is a formational genre for me. Too many in my head to even know where to start. Always thought we should have had more of "The John Larroquette Show", and, not enough attention was paid to "The Steven Banks Show", the rare PBS sitcom.
Shout out for mentioning (and remembering) the John Laroquette Show. That was a good show IMO and now seems lost to history.

Yeah you're speaking my language. This is a formational genre for me. Too many in my head to even know where to start. Always thought we should have had more of "The John Larroquette Show", and, not enough attention was paid to "The Steven Banks Show", the rare PBS sitcom.
Shout out for mentioning (and remembering) the John Laroquette Show. That was a good show IMO and now seems lost to history.
Genius black comedy, especially the first season. Ratings weren't good as it was airing opposite Roseanne getting murdered in its time slot and the dark tone was way too much for network tv in the 90's. They retooled it in season 2 to be more mainstream audience friendly, was still funny and a little darker but definitely not the pushing the envelope edge it had the first season. I still remember the scene where Larroquette and Daryl Mitchell are in Daryl's characters car singing "Kill Whitey," one of the funniest scenes ever. :lmao:

Dinosaurs was a pretty funny show a lot of people ignored because of the Jim Henson puppets, tons of social commentary that I wonder would hold up today. It had one of the most hard hitting and depressing series finales in history.

Watched a lot of Caroline in the City because it had the coveted after Seinfeld before ER time slot. Was always a sucker for Lea Thompson after Back to the Future.

Sports Night

This is one I started watching, but stopped for some reason and need to revisit.

Sports Night is one of my 5 favorite shows ever. Absolutely brilliant. Never really thought of it as a sitcom though. Not sure where the line between a sitcom and comedy-drama is but it definitely edges toward the latter and when combined with the lack of laugh track (eventually) it makes it hard for me to think of it in the same way as the other shows named in this thread.

Genius black comedy, especially the first season. Ratings weren't good as it was airing opposite Roseanne getting murdered in its time slot and the dark tone was way too much for network tv in the 90's. They retooled it in season 2 to be more mainstream audience friendly, was still funny and a little darker but definitely not the pushing the envelope edge it had the first season. I still remember the scene where Larroquette and Daryl Mitchell are in Daryl's characters car singing "Kill Whitey," one of the funniest scenes ever. :lmao:

Local station has John Larroquette reruns on the "REW TV" channel, whatever that is. Some sideband off the main channel.

3rd Rock From The Sun. In addition to the regular cast, guest stars like John Cleese, William Shatner, and in the final episode Elvis Costello. 🚀
This is one I just never really got into. I tried it. I recognize it's should be funny, but even when we'll watch the reruns it just doesn't catch me

Obviously the king of 90s sitcoms was Seinfeld, but it's hardly underated. Married with Children was monumental for me. Was the first cable show you watched and looked around the room and thought, "They can play this on normal cable television?"

Married wasn't on cable?
MWC was an early FOX show.
It was on Fox, which was standard cable where I was at. My point was at that time of television it seemed more like an HBO show not standard television. In the late 80s, television was a little different then now.

What we once liked sometimes seems horrible now in some cases. Not 90s, but I tried watching some Magnum PI (original series) not long ago, a show I once liked, and I now consider the acting horrible.

Wasn't Freaks and Geeks a '90s sitcom?

That was underrated. Or maybe overrated by critics. Either way, I sure liked the show.
It was more a drama/comedy - of the hour long variety but one of my favorite shows - ton of talent evolved from that show.
They gave The Bear an Emmy for best comedy. They play pretty fast and loose with the definitions I guess.

Although it ran for most of the 90s (ended in 1997), Coach actually started in 1989. Assistant Coach Luther Horatio Van Dam was a pretty good character though, I'll give you that.
Luther was played by Jerry Van Dyke. **** Van Dyke's brother.
:goodposting:

And Dauber was played by Bill Fagerbakke, who went on to be the voice of Spongebob's best friend and neighbor Patrick Star. He also played Tom Cullen in the miniseries The Stand.

M-O-O-N, that spells Tom Cullen.

What we once liked sometimes seems horrible now in some cases. Not 90s, but I tried watching some Magnum PI (original series) not long ago, a show I once liked, and I now consider the acting horrible.
To funny. A guy at work calls me Magnum PI. I will say the original A-Team will always hold up. Ha ha

I was kidding with Dave Foley, but I figured it was one of those two, actually. I just figured I'd make light of it instead of politicking up the thread like I generously did over in tim's music countdown.
Foley is a big ufo/uap guy now. I believe Andy D had a sexual assault or two

Yeah, I'll see Andy's name in the news occasionally. Been arrested quite a few times and last I saw was homeless live streaming from some junkies RV. Sad seeing him in this state. Sure you can find the videos on Youtube.

Foley is a big ufo/uap guy now. I believe Andy D had a sexual assault or two

Yeah, I'll see Andy's name in the news occasionally. Been arrested quite a few times and last I saw was homeless live streaming from some junkies RV. Sad seeing him in this state. Sure you can find the videos on Youtube.

yeah, it's bad - damn he was so funny at one time ...it's not a sitcom, but the "Ben Stiller Show" was awesome ...Andy's skit as a "midget wrangler" for the movies was hilarious

Users who are viewing this thread