What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Underwear Olympics overreaction thread (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Anthony Richardson, 1.01?!
Jameer Gibbs is Jamaal Charles?

Who else is getting insanely hyped up for merely running around in their footy PJs?

Every year before the combine, we talk about cautioning against overhyping players for doing non-football things. And every year after the combine that seems to go right out the window.

Some y’all sports writers and sharks really might need to switch to decaf. I’m just saying..
:shrug:

Always find this topic funny...the reactions are exactly what the suits in the NFL want as they continue to make their sport a 12 month a year product...IMO the overreactions are more in the media as it gives them a lot of content to spew out.

4 of the rbs most discussed as possible early picks didn't run. Tucker, Kendre, Tyjae and Evans. 4 did - Bijan, gibbs, charb and achane. A huge part of the fantasy community was out on achane due to size, so obviously today the narrative is that there are only 3 rbs in this class.

Always find this topic funny...the reactions are exactly what the suits in the NFL want as they continue to make their sport a 12 month a year product...IMO the overreactions are more in the media as it gives them a lot of content to spew out.
Oh, I totally agree. This topic is largely tongue-in-cheek. I know most of the hype is coming from the marketing machine that is the NFL.

Outside of maybe Anthony Richardson (and it's hard not to get a little excited there), I'm not seeing any tremendous over-reactions this year so far.
I’ve seen a few overreactions to Bijan Robinson‘s sub 4.5 despite the fact that pretty much no one expected him to run much faster than he did.

Outside of maybe Anthony Richardson (and it's hard not to get a little excited there), I'm not seeing any tremendous over-reactions this year so far.
I’ve seen a few overreactions to Bijan Robinson‘s sub 4.5 despite the fact that pretty much no one expected him to run much faster than he did.
I did see a little of that in his thread, I guess - and yeah, for his size and skills that's plenty fast enough.

My overreaction is that the defense is strongest part of this draft. Edge and CB, and DT is deep if not top heavy.

Richardson is probably the overreaction guy, and if he cannot throw the ball it doesn't matter, but that's an insane athlete at QB.

DJ Turner is a Day 2 pick lol.

I don't get why people think closing speed is the only thing you need to play corner. Dude is sub-6 foot with 30-3/4" and film don't lie. He's going to be a starting 2nd corner in a few years and he'll have a decent career but the upside is limited. This is a deep CB class with 12-15 guys out there who are simply better players.

I don't get why testing that confirms changes anything. We knew Turner would test through the roof, the Combine confirmed that. We knew Brian Branch would not test great, confirmed - who cares, met the minimum threshold and he's still an amazing football player who is going to be a phenomenal pro.

I did see a little of that in his thread, I guess - and yeah, for his size and skills that's plenty fast enough.
The YouTubes are a little bit more cluttered with overreactions. But then, that medium is all about hot takes, and clicks

A little and it's understandable even though he tested like I thought but it's understandable because the hype was so high that I think people actually started thinking he'd test like Barkley. I think someone in the Bijan thread just said that Bijan looks like he was built in a lab. No, that's Barkley. Bijan might be better, might have better balance and vision, but while he's a really good athlete with size he's not on that Barkley level of pure athleticism.

The YouTubes are a little bit more cluttered with overreactions. But then, that medium is all about hot takes, and clicks
I'd immediately ignore anyone that thinks even 4.5 speed will be a detriment to a 215 back with his strength.

I'd immediately ignore anyone that thinks even 4.5 speed will be a detriment to a 215 back with his strength.
I unsubscribed to at least three accounts today.

A little and it's understandable even though he tested like I thought but it's understandable because the hype was so high that I think people actually started thinking he'd test like Barkley. I think someone in the Bijan thread just said that Bijan looks like he was built in a lab. No, that's Barkley. Bijan might be better, might have better balance and vision, but while he's a really good athlete with size he's not on that Barkley level of pure athleticism.
:penalty:
This is an entirely reasonable assessment, and this is the overreactions topic, sir. 5 yard penalty, loss of down.

Last edited:
Anthony Richardson at the Combine:
  • faster than Cee Dee Lamb
  • taller than George Kittle
  • heaveir than Hasson Reddick
  • hands are bigger than D'Andre Hopkins
  • vertical is higher than Davonte Adams
  • broad jump went further than OBJ

Don't get Bill Polian started.

Actually, I have one. Darnell Washington.

For sure. I love the idea of this guy, but he was barely used in the passing game, he's basically the most athletic tackle this year. Very doubtful he turns into Gronk, and while I think he could very well help good teams, he might be just a guy.

• none of those things have much to do with accurately, throwing a football or reading a defense.

What the NFL has done with the draft, and more recently the combine, over the last 20 years is the most incredible marketing story of our lifetimes. Hats off to them.
In my opinion, they lucked into it.

ESPN was desperate for content when they started airing the draft, and I don't think anyone had any idea it would be that popular, it was a break from snooker and bowling.

Further, it took them a while to figure out how serious draft fans were. I don't really know why the NFL is so much better than other sports drafts, but it is

What the NFL has done with the draft, and more recently the combine, over the last 20 years is the most incredible marketing story of our lifetimes. Hats off to them.
In my opinion, they lucked into it.

ESPN was desperate for content when they started airing the draft, and I don't think anyone had any idea it would be that popular, it was a break from snooker and bowling.

Further, it took them a while to figure out how serious draft fans were. I don't really know why the NFL is so much better than other sports drafts, but it is
NFL >> all other sports

The NBA draft used to be popular. I fondly remember the Webber/kidd/Penny draft and others. But basketball just isn’t as popular as football. Plus, international unknowns get drafted in the NBA.

Richardson had a similar Combine as Matt Jones in 2005

(QB who ended up switching to TE)
Nice!! AR truthers can at least say he was a better QB in college than THIS guy
No they can't, Matt Jones was a really good college QB.
Man I was high on Jones’s potential :bag:
I do wonder if Jones was drafted in 2023 if he’d have stayed a QB. or tried to.
I had a similar thought on if he'd have remained at QB but while he was disappointing as a WR he actually was not god awful and kind of was coming on that last year before the drugs took him down. Which is one of the many reasons I don't think he'd have made it as a QB, did not have mental makeup for the job.

Crazy thing is he was drafted over Aaron Rodgers.

Yep. That and the rise of fantasy football dynasty leagues, and growing internet content.
I would agree with whoever said they more so lucked into it, but yes, they have taken that luck and run with it.

Users who are viewing this thread