What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unofficial Stacey Abrams for GA Gov thread. (1 Viewer)

I don’t get it. What’s enraging? And why the Dead Zone reference? 
At the end of the Dead Zone, Martin Sheen's character -- a guy who is running for the senate -- hides behind a child when Christopher Walken's character tries to assassinate him.  That image ends up on the front page of every newspaper and ends his political career.*

It seems like a good communications director might have thought about that before arranging this photo op.  It manages to combine the "masks for thee but not for me" narrative that's bedeviled so many of these folks, while also singling out little kids this time around as opposed to adults at basketball games or whatever.  This photo does a very good job of indicating who then important person is, and who the props are.  I encourage her to run with this.

* Also, Rosebud is a sled and Kevin Spacey's character was Keyzer Soze all along.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the Dead Zone, Martin Sheen's character -- a guy who is running for the senate -- hides behind a child when Christopher Walken's character tries to assassinate him.  That image ends up on the front page of every newspaper and ends his political career.*

It seems like a good communications director might have thought about that before arranging this photo op.  It manages to combine the "masks for thee but not for me" narrative that's bedeviled so many of these folks, while also singling out little kids this time around as opposed to adults at basketball games or whatever.  This photo does a very good job of indicating who then important person is, and who the props are.  I encourage her to run with this.

* Also, Rosebud is a sled and Kevin Spacey's character was Keyzer Soze all along.
I remember the scene. I don’t think it’s a very good analogy though. 

Well, she deleted this so somebody on her team realized how devastating this is.  Unfortunately for her, it's already out there.  I imagine residents of Georgia will be seeing this photo a lot this fall.
No I get the criticism of Abrams. It’s a bad photo mainly for the mask reason. I just don’t think she’s Greg Stillson. 

Well, she deleted this so somebody on her team realized how devastating this is.  Unfortunately for her, it's already out there.  I imagine residents of Georgia will be seeing this photo a lot this fall.
I hope someone asks her why the photo was deleted. I'm legitimately fascinated to hear her try to spin this.

If it's not wrong for her to be unmasked around all masked children then why delete the photo? If it is wrong, why do it in the first place?

The Abrams campaign also told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Abrams wore a mask to the school but later removed it so she could be heard by students watching remotely and for the photos on the condition that everyone around her was wearing masks. A campaign aide confirmed the reporting to CNN.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/06/politics/stacey-abrams-school-photos/index.html

Stacey Abrams insisted that all the kids wear masks so that she could take her mask off.  She considers this explanation to be exculpatory.

Just making a note because people will deny that this ever happened in November if we don't document it today.

Stacey Abrams insisted that all the kids wear masks so that she could take her mask off.  She considers this explanation to be exculpatory.

Just making a note because people will deny that this ever happened in November if we don't document it today.

Talk about living in a bubble...the fact they think this is a legit reason is so tone-deaf...good to see them go right to the Black History month angle as well, that was a nice touch.

Talk about living in a bubble...the fact they think this is a legit reason is so tone-deaf...good to see them go right to the

Black

History month angle as well, that was a nice touch.

You guys are so racist for pointing that out.  I mean, you're so racist for pointing that out that even racists call you "racist" and don't want nothing to do with you.  :lol:

And in Black History Month too.   Unbelievable.

Talk about living in a bubble...the fact they think this is a legit reason is so tone-deaf...good to see them go right to the Black History month angle as well, that was a nice touch.
"I can't believe you did this to me during Black History Month of all times" is the chef's kiss here.  It's the little attention to detail that turns a run-of-the-mill episode into a masterpiece.

"I can't believe you did this to me during Black History Month of all times" is the chef's kiss here.  It's the little attention to detail that turns a run-of-the-mill episode into a masterpiece.

Yup...this is what separates the good from the great...sure, she could have gone with the run-of-the-mill white supremacist angle but instead due to great preparation she dug down deeper and found a better angle that totally surprised the opposition. 

She should have worn a mask.

I doubt this becomes the defining issue in the race.
It reminds me of the attempt to remove our Governor in California because he ate at the French Laundry. That was a pretty dumb move and it demonstrated a great amount of hypocrisy. But in the end it doesn’t have any bearing on actual governance and our voters ultimately realized that. 

It reminds me of the attempt to remove our Governor in California because he ate at the French Laundry. That was a pretty dumb move and it demonstrated a great amount of hypocrisy. But in the end it doesn’t have any bearing on actual governance and our voters ultimately realized that. 
Good point.  Abrams should simply realize that Georgia's electorate is approximately the same as that of California, and she should run her campaign accordingly.  I mean, is California a perfect comparison point?  No.  But no other purplish southern states have held any statewide elections recently, so it's not like we can do any better here.

Good point.  Abrams should simply realize that Georgia's electorate is approximately the same as that of California, and she should run her campaign accordingly.  I mean, is California a perfect comparison point?  No.  But no other purplish southern states have held any statewide elections recently, so it's not like we can do any better here.
Who is her opponent going to be? 

Jeez, I got a good minute of lol'ing out of this one. 

No idea.  (The fact that she will be running against a single opponent is another good reason why the Newsome recall is a bad comparison point).
Not really. By the time of the vote there was really only one opponent- Larry Elder. He didn’t lose because of other Republicans on the ballot. 

But your other points are correct: California is not a good comparison. The only reason I brought it up is because I don’t think hypocrisy is big issue for voters. If Stacey loses it will be because of the Republican wave that is likely coming, due to inflation, and issues like parental control of schools. If she wins it will probably be because her opponent is a little too Trumpy. That’s why I asked who her opponent will be. Herschel Walker? Because I figure she wins in that case. 

Not really. By the time of the vote there was really only one opponent- Larry Elder. He didn’t lose because of other Republicans on the ballot. 

But your other points are correct: California is not a good comparison. The only reason I brought it up is because I don’t think hypocrisy is big issue for voters. If Stacey loses it will be because of the Republican wave that is likely coming, due to inflation, and issues like parental control of schools. If she wins it will probably be because her opponent is a little too Trumpy. That’s why I asked who her opponent will be. Herschel Walker? Because I figure she wins in that case. 
Isn't Walker running for Senate, not governor?

Correction: This appears to have been a lie.  Abrams apparently went maskless all day, while all the less important people continued to wear masks.

Correction: This appears to have been a lie.  Abrams apparently went maskless all day, while all the less important people continued to wear masks.
I don’t want to defend Abrams because she should have been smarter, but this is what her spokesperson said in the first article you cited:

“She wore a mask to the event, and removed it at the podium so she could be heard by students watching remotely and for photos, but only with folks who were masked."

All the new photos seem consistent with that explanation.  The photos are all either posed photos or of her at the podium.  So I’m not sure that the explanation was a lie.  

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
I don’t want to defend Abrams because she should have been smarter, but this is what her spokesperson said in the first article you cited:

“She wore a mask to the event, and removed it at the podium so she could be heard by students watching remotely and for photos, but only with folks who were masked."

All the new photos seem consistent with that explanation.  The photos are all either posed photos or of her at the podium.  So I’m not sure that the explanation was a lie.  
It's almost as if you didn't click the link and look at the actual pictures.

What you posted is an outright fabrication at worst and a excuse-making at best.

Sinn Fein said:
She should have worn a mask.

I doubt this becomes the defining issue in the race.
The problem is many of these D leaders are seen in public without a mask.  

The outstanding news is more pics of her are out there Maskless.   

The problem is many of these D leaders are seen in public without a mask.  

The outstanding news is more pics of her are out there Maskless.   

The timing is probably good for her - as many states are rolling back mask mandates.  

As I said, she should have had a mask on.  Its not going to be a story with legs.

The timing is probably good for her - as many states are rolling back mask mandates.  

As I said, she should have had a mask on.  Its not going to be a story with legs.
Yes, and people will long forget about it when it’s re-election time.  It will most likely revert to the economy in some fashion.

And that’s a good thing. I think it’s silly to vote for or against people based on stuff like this. 
I disagree.  People who are willing to inflict hardships on others that they aren't willing to bear themselves have no business in any position of authority.  That's especially true for people who victimize children.

I mean, the bar is set so low here that it's basically just laying on the floor.  If you want to make little kids wear cloth masks all day, literally the least you could do is wear a mask yourself.  You're telling everyone it's no big deal and it's important for public safety, so be a role model.  If you can't accomplish that, GTFOH.  If you can't exercise leadership when it's easy and the cameras are on, why should I ever trust you to do the right thing when it's hard and nobody is watching?

I disagree.  People who are willing to inflict hardships on others that they aren't willing to bear themselves have no business in any position of authority.  That's especially true for people who victimize children.

I mean, the bar is set so low here that it's basically just laying on the floor.  If you want to make little kids wear cloth masks all day, literally the least you could do is wear a mask yourself.  You're telling everyone it's no big deal and it's important for public safety, so be a role model.  If you can't accomplish that, GTFOH.  If you can't exercise leadership when it's easy and the cameras are on, why should I ever trust you to do the right thing when it's hard and nobody is watching?

You just eliminated 95+% of our elected officials.*

*That wouldn't be a bad thing.

But the people that do hold a hard line on this stuff get called authoritarian.

Users who are viewing this thread