What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US journalist James Foley beheaded by ISIS (2 Viewers)

I heard about the new video, did Obama speak out today? Is he formulating a plan? Is he consulting with the military generals? I would like some answers.
Pretty sure ISIS would as well.
Don't even think it. Roll the tapes in 1991 as the United States woke up to George Bush announcing he already took action. This President doesn't use the bathroom until he has consulted with at least a half dozen people first. He hasn't been ahead of this, not once. Sure he managed to hunt down OBL and maybe anyone who was sitting there would have gotten him but at the same time he seems to have allowed this group to assemble and get far too organized. This is going to require a lot of man power and ground troops. Wait until they get ahold of some of our boys in uniforms. This is gonna get ugly.
:confused: Iraq invaded Kuwait in Aug 1990. The US announced a counter attack in Jan. 1991.
Do you get some sort of satisfaction by reposting the same gibberish? You're blatantly repeating what i already addressed and you are not even trying to keep this coherent to the discussion.

Bush didn't ask permission from Europe to counter punch, he just did it. This President has mention Europe and the U.N. many times since these beheadings so I feel like Americans might want to read the memo that we now need permission to do whatever we feel is right. That's a new stance or position by America and while many folks perhaps including you might feel that's the right thing to do, some of us feel differently and I don't think it's a minority voice in America that are going to have the problem with it.

I see you do this with other posters, its pretty juvenile when you know one event has nothing to do with the other 1990/1991, if you lived thru that time in America, you know people here were not asking if there was a plan in place by the White House. It was clear there was going to be a response. Yes Iraq invaded Kuwait and at the time we were not knee deep in everything there, meaning it was going to take time to mobilize there 25 years ago. It took time to mobilize in the way we wanted to respond in 2001 after 9/11. It took months to send over all the military we wanted to.

I heard this President if I read the news correctly, he stated that he will not put American troops or boots on the ground in Syria, case closed. And then we have this magic 1300 special force types on the ground? Are they not troops? You can't have it both ways so stop putting your toe in the water and do the right thing.

Here is what Obama seems to want to do. Send as few as possible and hope things get better. Fly drones and use special forces to blow things up from miles away. It sounds good but we know you cannot win a war this way. Even the metal birds can only cripple them to a point. If you want to eradicate these life forms then you have to do it with an offensive from the ground.

PLUS PLUS PLUS: People in America did not care about Kuwait on the surface. It took time by the administration to sell the country on responding. Here we have Americans beheaded in HD, not much needs to be explained to most Americans. We don't need 15 gallup polls to see which way the wind blows here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been reading through the whole thread but the last couple pages seem to be filled with groaning that there aren’t any concrete plans… when, in reality, there are simply no “good” plans for a very bad situation. Following are just a few reasons why this is indeed an extraordinary situation there can’t simply be a golden 2-step “plan” wrapped in a ribbon that solves everything:

• We are not simply dealing with a pitched battle inside a single country – we’re dealing with enemy combatants that span multiple countries.
  • We have no actionable intelligence inside Syria (to my knowledge) that can call for bombardment strikes at points x, y, and z.
  • We have no PARTNER on whom we can depend upon in Syria for intelligence or as a political entity that can fill the vacuum should we be able identify points x, y, and z to defeat IS – this is the opinion of our military and intelligence agencies.
  • We have various allies in the vicinity for whom any action (or inaction) could have hugely negative short- and long-term consequences such as Israel, Jordan, and, yes, Saudi Arabia (cstu is correct).
  • We are dealing with this when there is a HOT sectarian war occurring between multiple proxies spanning the region.
  • We are dealing with this when the, thankfully, ex-PM of Iraq has put Iraq on the edge of breaking apart (if that process hasn’t already started long ago).
What would you do?
As much as I want to go get 'em, you have some great questions and obstacles that need to be accounted for. That said, we can't sit on our hands and just pretend to be victims here.

We need action, not theory of "if" this happens. Americans are being beheaded. American journalists are prey for these ISIS ####s in the ME, that's an act of war in my book.

Even if we don't want to be at war with them or even if some of you feel like no matter what these ####s do on the internet, youtube, HD, no matter what, you feel it would be a mistake to start an all out war with these people. I get that but understand that even though you may not want to be at war with them, they are always at war with us. For some, they hold on to the crazy notion that if we have created this and that we should somehow bow down to their demands. That's just crazy talk for a lot of Americans.

I haven't been reading through the whole thread but the last couple pages seem to be filled with groaning that there aren’t any concrete plans… when, in reality, there are simply no “good” plans for a very bad situation. Following are just a few reasons why this is indeed an extraordinary situation there can’t simply be a golden 2-step “plan” wrapped in a ribbon that solves everything:

• We are not simply dealing with a pitched battle inside a single country – we’re dealing with enemy combatants that span multiple countries.
  • We have no actionable intelligence inside Syria (to my knowledge) that can call for bombardment strikes at points x, y, and z.
  • We have no PARTNER on whom we can depend upon in Syria for intelligence or as a political entity that can fill the vacuum should we be able identify points x, y, and z to defeat IS – this is the opinion of our military and intelligence agencies.
  • We have various allies in the vicinity for whom any action (or inaction) could have hugely negative short- and long-term consequences such as Israel, Jordan, and, yes, Saudi Arabia (cstu is correct).
  • We are dealing with this when there is a HOT sectarian war occurring between multiple proxies spanning the region.
  • We are dealing with this when the, thankfully, ex-PM of Iraq has put Iraq on the edge of breaking apart (if that process hasn’t already started long ago).
What would you do?
As much as I want to go get 'em, you have some great questions and obstacles that need to be accounted for. That said, we can't sit on our hands and just pretend to be victims here.

We need action, not theory of "if" this happens. Americans are being beheaded. American journalists are prey for these ISIS ####s in the ME, that's an act of war in my book.

Even if we don't want to be at war with them or even if some of you feel like no matter what these ####s do on the internet, youtube, HD, no matter what, you feel it would be a mistake to start an all out war with these people. I get that but understand that even though you may not want to be at war with them, they are always at war with us. For some, they hold on to the crazy notion that if we have created this and that we should somehow bow down to their demands. That's just crazy talk for a lot of Americans.
When a rabid dog needs to be put to sleep you don't have to go all nuts about it. They are bad people and deserve to die, but we can do that without getting thrills from it ourselves.

I want to see us drop a nuke..I think it is long overdue...I'm not talking about dropping it on a populated area....Just one of those ISIS terrorist camps.....Kind of like a wake up bombing...We used to test these in our own desert all of the time....I think the world has forgotten the devastation we have at our finger tips...We used to be feared, we need to get back to that....Why have these and why spend billions on them, if we won't use them and get the desired effect they were designed for...Get Russia on board and let them drop one over there as well...
the lack of regard for the civilians in these countries is a bit appalling int this thread. Now I am not even talking about if the nuke killed any civilians, let's magically assume it won't. How would you feel if some nut jobs in this country were holed up in the Grand Canyon or somewhere in the remote desert and some random country nuked that area. How would you react? You would want to start world war 3.Now try to imagine you are an Iraqi civilian.

I feel like I have to talk like I talk to my 4 yo in here.

I heard about the new video, did Obama speak out today? Is he formulating a plan? Is he consulting with the military generals? I would like some answers.
Don't even think it. Roll the tapes in 1991 as the United States woke up to George Bush announcing he already took action. This President doesn't use the bathroom until he has consulted with at least a half dozen people first. He hasn't been ahead of this, not once. Sure he managed to hunt down OBL and maybe anyone who was sitting there would have gotten him but at the same time he seems to have allowed this group to assemble and get far too organized. This is going to require a lot of man power and ground troops. Wait until they get ahold of some of our boys in uniforms. This is gonna get ugly.
:confused: Iraq invaded Kuwait in Aug 1990. The US announced a counter attack in Jan. 1991.
Do you get some sort of satisfaction by reposting the same gibberish? You're blatantly repeating what i already addressed and you are not even trying to keep this coherent to the discussion.

Bush didn't ask permission from Europe to counter punch, he just did it.
You know why you "woke up to" it? Because the plan wasn't announced ahead of time. He didn't post it to the FFA in advance for you to approve.

Bush didn't ask permission from Europe to counter punch, he just did it. This President has mention Europe and the U.N. many times since these beheadings so I feel like Americans might want to read the memo that we now need permission to do whatever we feel is right. That's a new stance or position by America and while many folks perhaps including you might feel that's the right thing to do, some of us feel differently and I don't think it's a minority voice in America that are going to have the problem with it.

I see you do this with other posters, its pretty juvenile when you know one event has nothing to do with the other 1990/1991, if you lived thru that time in America, you know people here were not asking if there was a plan in place by the White House. It was clear there was going to be a response. Yes Iraq invaded Kuwait and at the time we were not knee deep in everything there, meaning it was going to take time to mobilize there 25 years ago. It took time to mobilize in the way we wanted to respond in 2001 after 9/11. It took months to send over all the military we wanted to.

I heard this President if I read the news correctly, he stated that he will not put American troops or boots on the ground in Syria, case closed. And then we have this magic 1300 special force types on the ground? Are they not troops? You can't have it both ways so stop putting your toe in the water and do the right thing.

Here is what Obama seems to want to do. Send as few as possible and hope things get better. Fly drones and use special forces to blow things up from miles away. It sounds good but we know you cannot win a war this way. Even the metal birds can only cripple them to a point. If you want to eradicate these life forms then you have to do it with an offensive from the ground.

PLUS PLUS PLUS: People in America did not care about Kuwait on the surface. It took time by the administration to sell the country on responding. Here we have Americans beheaded in HD, not much needs to be explained to most Americans. We don't need 15 gallup polls to see which way the wind blows here.
I'm so confused on what point you are trying to make.

George Bush got UN approval, Arab League approval, NATO approval and built a really big and effective coalition before you woke up and saw the US counter attack in 1991.

You keep mentioning solo US action, but the example you are giving to prove your point on solo action was literally the biggest and most effective international coalition since WWII.

Last edited by a moderator:
bagger said:
Ditka Butkus said:
I want to see us drop a nuke..I think it is long overdue...I'm not talking about dropping it on a populated area....Just one of those ISIS terrorist camps.....Kind of like a wake up bombing...We used to test these in our own desert all of the time....I think the world has forgotten the devastation we have at our finger tips...We used to be feared, we need to get back to that....Why have these and why spend billions on them, if we won't use them and get the desired effect they were designed for...Get Russia on board and let them drop one over there as well...
the lack of regard for the civilians in these countries is a bit appalling int this thread. Now I am not even talking about if the nuke killed any civilians, let's magically assume it won't. How would you feel if some nut jobs in this country were holed up in the Grand Canyon or somewhere in the remote desert and some random country nuked that area. How would you react? You would want to start world war 3.Now try to imagine you are an Iraqi civilian.

The people who live here in America would never allow a foreign entity to knowingly enter this country and take over a few states. You cannot compare what "might happen" here in America when logistically speaking what has happened in Syria would just about never happen here.

You can keep trying to talk to 4 year olds, maybe that's a better place for you to go. Let me get the link for the Nickelodeon forums.

Fennis said:
Cool, happy trails. I'm gonna go make a few myself.
"Cool"?

You got every fact wrong about what happened in 1990 and 1991. Not just one fact, but EVERY fact. Bush had a UN coalition. He had agreement from the other Arab states. He didn't do anything immediately, he built up troops for months. And the goal of his actions (to remove Iraqi troops from Kuwait) was much clearer in scope and aim than dealing with ISIS.

But I guess that's "cool". Happy trails.

Fennis said:
"Cool"?

You got every fact wrong about what happened in 1990 and 1991. Not just one fact, but EVERY fact. Bush had a UN coalition. He had agreement from the other Arab states. He didn't do anything immediately, he built up troops for months. And the goal of his actions (to remove Iraqi troops from Kuwait) was much clearer in scope and aim than dealing with ISIS.

They're only facts when you need them to be. I posted originally about having to ask permission from Europe and the UN to respond to American beheadings. I also wanted to make a point that ISIS is not new and for a President to have no plan is ridiculous. We have had military in the Middle East and surrounding areas for well over a decade. When Iraq invaded another country we had to mobilize a lot of folks.

Rome fell for a variety of reasons but one was the unwillingness to want to fight any more. People or citizens who don't have to lift a finger beyond showing up to work or cashing a government check are not going to want to take immediate action, things might get messy.

It's inevitable that this country will eventually fall and you do a great job of broadcasting your apathy for being an American. That's a major reason why Rome fell, the spread of apathy. Once the will to fight is broken, most empires will fall.

Fennis said:
"Cool"?You got every fact wrong about what happened in 1990 and 1991. Not just one fact, but EVERY fact. Bush had a UN coalition. He had agreement from the other Arab states. He didn't do anything immediately, he built up troops for months. And the goal of his actions (to remove Iraqi troops from Kuwait) was much clearer in scope and aim than dealing with ISIS.

They're only facts when you need them to be. I posted originally about having to ask permission from Europe and the UN to respond to American beheadings. I also wanted to make a point that ISIS is not new and for a President to have no plan is ridiculous. We have had military in the Middle East and surrounding areas for well over a decade. When Iraq invaded another country we had to mobilize a lot of folks. Rome fell for a variety of reasons but one was the unwillingness to want to fight any more. People or citizens who don't have to lift a finger beyond showing up to work or cashing a government check are not going to want to take immediate action, things might get messy.

It's inevitable that this country will eventually fall and you do a great job of broadcasting your apathy for being an American. That's a major reason why Rome fell, the spread of apathy. Once the will to fight is broken, most empires will fall.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

bagger said:
Ditka Butkus said:

Blah, Blah, Blah.....It really doesn't matter what the countries of the Middle East want or don't want....We've already made conventional bombing runs in just about all of them....Not to mention, can you not sense that my previous posting had a tongue in cheek tone.

Saw an interesting report on CNN interestingly enough - We talk about the horrors that this group is inflicting on its victims, really vile images that harken back to warfare probably 1000+ years ago where barbarians ruled the roost. Clearly most people who see these images/video are horrified, and yet it seems to be a strong recruiting tool to bring more people into their fold.

I think soldiers have long-talked about the horrors of war - seeing people killed, and killing people themselves, can leave lasting mental scars. For the ISIS groups involved here, I can't see how any of them can ever integrate back into society. What they have witnessed, and participated in, is so far outside the social norms, that I think most are too far gone, mentally/emotionally that there can only be one outcome here. Even if there were some sort of full-scale surrender - these guys really just do not belong in any society.

So, I guess, I just don't see this ending well for anyone.

Saw an interesting report on CNN interestingly enough - We talk about the horrors that this group is inflicting on its victims, really vile images that harken back to warfare probably 1000+ years ago where barbarians ruled the roost. Clearly most people who see these images/video are horrified, and yet it seems to be a strong recruiting tool to bring more people into their fold.

I think soldiers have long-talked about the horrors of war - seeing people killed, and killing people themselves, can leave lasting mental scars. For the ISIS groups involved here, I can't see how any of them can ever integrate back into society. What they have witnessed, and participated in, is so far outside the social norms, that I think most are too far gone, mentally/emotionally that there can only be one outcome here. Even if there were some sort of full-scale surrender - these guys really just do not belong in any society.

So, I guess, I just don't see this ending well for anyone.
If we kill every single one of them, it works out well for the rest of us......you know......the humans on planet earth.

Mr Non Sequitur said:

What would you do?

There may very well be action but thousands of boots on the ground aren't coming any time soon and action 9as you put) will come slowly -- I realize you have your Captain America hat on and want to see action that feels cathartic for you but it simply won't, and shouldn't come quickly.

One blurb from here follows:

The momentum for expanded airstrikes against the Islamic State in both Iraq and Syria is increasing, if for no other reason than that the tool is readily available and has low risk for the United States. Unfortunately, the results of such a campaign will be extremely limited if they are not part and parcel of a policy that achieves a stable Iraq. One can look at the chaos in Libya to see that airstrikes cannot be a stand-alone solution, regardless of how much a group “deserves” that kind of attention. If we couple an expanded airstrike campaign with steps aimed at the elimination of militias and reduction in the Iranian presence inside Iraq (including proxies), we can help the Iraqi government convince (once again) the Sunni reconcilables to return. The consequences of failure are ten years of warfare over exactly how Iraq will be “partitioned,” a reduction in oil production and a rise in global energy prices, and a worsening of the sectarian civil war that is threatening the entire region. This is the time to “think slow”and not just react out of anger for the Foley/Sotloff tragedies and other IS atrocities.

Craig Whiteside is a former Army officer and Iraq War veteran who is currently a professor of National Security Affairs at the Naval War College

I wonder if it is time that we started to wage a little PR war of our own.

Right now, ISIS looks like a good deal to the jihadist because they are the bully on the block. But if we started to release some videos of the bully getting punched in the nose, I suspect fewer people would be lining up to join the bullying.

Instead of seeing lines of toyota trucks rolling down the street, we need some videos of some drone strikes taking out an entire column of trucks. Instead of video of trucks rolling around firing from mounted artillery, we need to see a video of the truck getting blown up, or the driver/shooter getting shot.

Fennis said:
"Cool"?

They're only facts when you need them to be. I posted originally about having to ask permission from Europe and the UN to respond to American beheadings. I also wanted to make a point that ISIS is not new and for a President to have no plan is ridiculous. We have had military in the Middle East and surrounding areas for well over a decade. When Iraq invaded another country we had to mobilize a lot of folks.

Rome fell for a variety of reasons but one was the unwillingness to want to fight any more. People or citizens who don't have to lift a finger beyond showing up to work or cashing a government check are not going to want to take immediate action, things might get messy.

This is greatest hits material.

Turned on Sean Hannity yesterday for the first time in months. 5 minutes was about all I could stomach.

"ISIS is evil and Obama's on the golf course! We need to get tough with radical Islam, but Obama is a wimp! ISIS ISIS ISIS OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA!!!!"

Right now, ISIS looks like a good deal to the jihadist because they are the bully on the block. But if we started to release some videos of the bully getting punched in the nose, I suspect fewer people would be lining up to join the bullying.

Instead of seeing lines of toyota trucks rolling down the street, we need some videos of some drone strikes taking out an entire column of trucks. Instead of video of trucks rolling around firing from mounted artillery, we need to see a video of the truck getting blown up, or the driver/shooter getting shot.
doesn't work both ways. you just made a recruitment video for ISIS.

Maybe for a few - but I suspect it would take the luster off the COD-wannabes who think this is one big game. And right now I think that is their biggest audience. The people willing to die to take on the west are already on board - we need to stem the flow of the average jihadists who are filling their ranks. Not to mention just putting the hammer down to a group that thinks it can act with impunity.

Plus, you couple it with some will placed videos of US aid helping muslims recover, re-building mosques, etc. Its a new world out there, and I think we have to start learning how to play these games better/differently.

Turned on Sean Hannity yesterday for the first time in months. 5 minutes was about all I could stomach.

"ISIS is evil and Obama's on the golf course! We need to get tough with radical Islam, but Obama is a wimp! ISIS ISIS ISIS OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA!!!!"
I find it funny to listen to conservatives. In the same radio segment, they will talk about how evil Obama is and how he is the mastermind behind leading his country to disaster...and then five minutes later talk about how he doesn't care and golfs all the time.

I think a better tactic would be to show pictures and videos of specific victims. With information about each of their deaths at the hands of ISIS.

"9 year old so-and-so. Raped and beheaded by ISIS August 14, 2014"

I find it funny to listen to conservatives. In the same radio segment, they will talk about how evil Obama is and how he is the mastermind behind leading his country to disaster...and then five minutes later talk about how he doesn't care and golfs all the time.
Hannity gets the joke

You should watch blaze tv.

I find it funny to listen to conservatives.
PIERS MORGAN: A slapdash Secret Service detail isn't what's wrong with the White House - the real scandal is a President who is so complacent about protecting Americans

President Obama this week committed professional suicide.

Let me explain.

There is a theory in politics that once a leader has fired 50 or more people from his or her administration, he or she is finished. The reason being that by creating so many enemies ‘outside the tent’, the tent itself becomes too deluged with poisonous bile to avoid sinking into a quagmire of back-stabbing ignominy. Obama went a lot further than firing 50 people. He managed to single-handedly alienate 200,000 employees in the American intelligence agencies by going on 60 Minutes and ruthlessly chucking them all under a bus over the rise of terror group ISIS.

‘James Clapper (Director of National Intelligence) has acknowledged that they underestimated what had been taking place in Syria,’ he said, when asked how ISIS’ influence could have spread so fast. As Governor Chris Christie pointed out, by saying ‘they’ rather than ‘we’, Obama tried to distance himself from any personal responsibility or accountability for what has been a catastrophic failure to act over the greatest terror threat facing the world since Osama Bin Laden. A more shameless, reprehensible display of buck-passing it would be hard to find from a sitting President.

And for what purpose? All that will happen now is that those maligned intelligence agencies will exact cold-blooded revenge on Obama by drip-feeding negative stories about him until he’s gone. It’s what they do. The truth is that Obama is the one who underestimated ISIS, plunging his head ostrich-like into the sand and hoping they would go away without having to do anything to actually make them go away. There were clear, unambiguous public warnings made nearly a year ago in front of the Foreign Affairs Committee that ISIS was on the march in Syria and Iraq. But perhaps Obama missed them. Hardly surprising when we discover yesterday that he has only attended 42.1 percent of his Presidential Daily intelligence briefings. No wonder the Secret Service gets complacent when The Boss exudes complacency from every pore.

Obama prides himself on a ‘leading from behind’ American strategy to confronting global terrorism and the current chaos raging throughout the Middle East. But refusing to intervene in conflicts like Syria has so far proved to be spectacularly self-defeating. Far from making America stronger, Obama has made the world’s greatest military power look weak. So weak that these Jihadist thugs think they can behead American citizens with impunity in glossy snuff movies.

Imagine how emboldened they must have felt when Obama made his ‘heartfelt’ speech about journalist James Foley’s execution, and was then seen laughing and joking on the golf course SEVEN MINUTES later.

Obama has so far played golf 192 times since becoming President. Even Rory McIlroy would struggle to match such enthusiasm for the game. But Rory isn’t the Leader of the Free World, and with such a title comes huge responsibility. The kind of responsibility that Obama seems so keen to shirk. It’s time he got off the damn golf course, got up to speed with his intelligence briefings and focused on wiping out ISIS. Before they wipe out more of the people he serves.

Link

Army warns US military personnel on ISIS threat to family members

An Army intelligence bulletin is warning U.S. military personnel to be vigilant after Islamic State militants called on supporters to scour social media for addresses of their family members – and to “show up [at their homes] and slaughter them."

The assessment, obtained by Fox News, came from the Army Threat Integration Center which issues early warnings of criminal and terrorist threats to Army posts worldwide.

The advisory warns military personnel and their families about the Islamic State, or ISIS, calling on supporters to target their homes.

While there is no independent intelligence to corroborate the ISIS threats, the bulletin recommends more than a dozen precautions to military personnel to protect their homes -- and their online profiles.

"Given the continued rhetoric being issued by ISIL's media services and supporters through various social media platforms the ARTIC is concerned of the possibility of an attack," the bulletin says. "Soldiers, Government Civilians and Family Members are reminded to be vigilant of their surroundings and report suspicious activities to their respective military or local law enforcement."

One section cites a jihadist tweet calling on lone offenders to use the "yellow pages" and social media to identify the addresses of military families, and to "show up [at their homes] and slaughter them."

A military source familiar with the four-page document said the warnings are taken seriously because increasing the costs of security is a deliberate and strategic goal for Al Qaeda senior leadership – though the Islamic State has split with Al Qaeda.

The Army said in a written statement that protection levels at installations “have not changed.”

“This document is a reminder to stay vigilant,” the Army said. “It provides renewed emphasis on force protection measures to ensure the safety and security of our DOD components, defense critical infrastructure, personnel and communities.”

The warning comes amid heightened concerns about how the Islamic State and its followers are exploiting social media to expand their reach.

At a cybersecurity event on Wednesday, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said the group is using social media “as a recruiting tool.”

He said some estimates show the terror network is recruiting as many as 3,400 people per month because of their social media recruiting efforts.

jamny said:
Army warns US military personnel on ISIS threat to family members

An Army intelligence bulletin is warning U.S. military personnel to be vigilant after Islamic State militants called on supporters to scour social media for addresses of their family members – and to “show up [at their homes] and slaughter them."

The assessment, obtained by Fox News, came from the Army Threat Integration Center which issues early warnings of criminal and terrorist threats to Army posts worldwide.

The advisory warns military personnel and their families about the Islamic State, or ISIS, calling on supporters to target their homes.

While there is no independent intelligence to corroborate the ISIS threats, the bulletin recommends more than a dozen precautions to military personnel to protect their homes -- and their online profiles.

"Given the continued rhetoric being issued by ISIL's media services and supporters through various social media platforms the ARTIC is concerned of the possibility of an attack," the bulletin says. "Soldiers, Government Civilians and Family Members are reminded to be vigilant of their surroundings and report suspicious activities to their respective military or local law enforcement."

One section cites a jihadist tweet calling on lone offenders to use the "yellow pages" and social media to identify the addresses of military families, and to "show up [at their homes] and slaughter them."

A military source familiar with the four-page document said the warnings are taken seriously because increasing the costs of security is a deliberate and strategic goal for Al Qaeda senior leadership – though the Islamic State has split with Al Qaeda.

The Army said in a written statement that protection levels at installations “have not changed.”

“This document is a reminder to stay vigilant,” the Army said. “It provides renewed emphasis on force protection measures to ensure the safety and security of our DOD components, defense critical infrastructure, personnel and communities.”

The warning comes amid heightened concerns about how the Islamic State and its followers are exploiting social media to expand their reach.

At a cybersecurity event on Wednesday, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said the group is using social media “as a recruiting tool.”

He said some estimates show the terror network is recruiting as many as 3,400 people per month because of their social media recruiting efforts.
THE RUSSIANS DONT PLAY AROUND

KGB Reportedly Gave Arab Terrorists a Taste of Brutality to Free Diplomats
January 07, 1986|From the Guardian

JERUSALEM — The KGB has adopted novel, brutal and apparently effective methods of dealing with terrorists who attack Soviet interests in the Middle East, an Israeli newspaper reported Monday.
The Jerusalem Post said the Soviet secret police last year secured the release of three kidnaped Soviet diplomats in Beirut by castrating a relative of a radical Lebanese Shia Muslim leader, sending him the severed organs and then shooting the relative in the head.

The incident began when four Soviet diplomats were kidnaped last September by Muslim extremists who demanded that Moscow pressure the Syrian government to stop pro-Syrian militiamen from shelling rival Muslim positions in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli.

The militiamen, the Jerusalem paper said, did not cease their attacks, and the body of one of the Soviet diplomats, Arkady Katkov, was found a few days later in a field in Beirut.

The KGB then apparently kidnaped and killed a relative of an unnamed leader of the Shias' Hezbollah (Party of God) group, a radical, pro-Iranian group that has been suspected of various terrorist activities against Western targets in Lebanon.

Parts of the man's body, the paper said, were then sent to the Hezbollah leader with a warning that he would lose other relatives in a similar fashion if the three remaining Soviet diplomats were not immediately released. They were quickly freed.

The newspaper quoted "observers in Jerusalem" as saying: "This is the way the Soviets operate. They do things--they don't talk. And this is the language Hezbollah understands."

Fmr. Defense Secretary blames Obama for ignoring his advice in Iraq

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama's former defense secretary, Leon Panetta, says if the White House had listened to his advice on U.S. troop levels in Iraq, the country's security situation may not have unraveled.

"To this day, I believe that a small U.S. troop presence in Iraq could have effectively advised the Iraqi military on how to deal with al-Qaeda's resurgence and the sectarian violence that has engulfed the country," Panetta writes in his upcoming autobiography, due out next week.

President Obama announced in October 2011 that virtually all of the 39,000 U.S. troops would leave Iraq by the end of that year. Obama had said that it was a fulfillment to his 2008 campaign promise to bring troops in Iraq home. But at the same time, talks to get the Status of Forces Agreement, which provided immunity from prosecution to those troops, were at a standstill due to the internal politics of Iraq.

Panetta, who said he argued behind the scenes and publicly for a small amount of troops to be left for additional training for Iraq's military, was frustrated with White House negotiations on the deal. Under Secretary of Defense Michele Flournoy led the administration's efforts in the heated debate.

bttn_close.gif

141002062555-pkg-bittermann-france-isis-recruits-00003029-story-body.jpg

"Those on our side viewed the White House as so eager to rid itself of Iraq that it was willing to withdraw rather than lock in arrangements that would preserve our influence and interests," he said in excerpts of the book released by Time Magazine.
bttn_close.gif

141002130515-pkg-karadsheh-church-of-refugees-isis-00015813-story-body.jpg

He writes that his views were shared by other military commanders in the region and the Joint Chiefs of Staff but he believes that the Commander-in-Chief could have done more.
"Officials there seemed content to endorse an agreement if State and Defense could reach one, but without the President's active advocacy, al-Maliki was allowed to slip away. The deal never materialized," writes Panetta.

President Obama told CBS's "60 Minutes" that former Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki had "squandered" the opportunity to be a thriving democracy with a strong military because he "was much more interested in consolidating his Shia base and very suspicious of the Sunnis and the Kurds" than creating a united government.

The president said that sending U.S. troops back into Iraq is not the solution.

"We cannot do this for them, because it's not just a military problem It's a political problem," he said on Sunday. "And if we make the mistake of simply sending U.S. troops back in, we can maintain peace for a while. But unless there is a change in how, not just Iraq, but countries like Syria and some of the other countries in the region, think about what political accommodation means. Think about what tolerance means."

But Panetta worries that in the meantime the deterioration of Iraq's security has potentially wiped out gains in the fight against terrorism.

"The news from Iraq bothered me to no end. In my view, the ISIS offensive in 2014 greatly increases the risk that Iraq will become al-Qaeda's next safe haven. That is exactly what it had in Afghanistan pre-9/11," he writes. "After all we have done to decimate al-Qaeda's senior leadership and its core, those efforts will be for naught if we allow it to rebuild a base of operations in the Middle East."

Panetta served as Secretary of Defense from 2011 until 2013. He returned to his role as director at the Panetta Institute for Public Policy, which he founded with his wife in 1997. His new book, "Worthy Fights" is due out October 7th.

Islamic State group beheads British hostage

An Internet video released Friday purports to show an Islamic State group fighter beheading British hostage Alan Henning and threatening yet another American captive, the fourth such killing carried out by the extremist group now targeted in U.S.-led airstrikes.
I saw coverage of this guy while on a trip to Europe last week. He was a London cab driver who volunteer to bring food and aid to the Syrian people who were being attacked by Assad's forces. Seemed like a great, caring, lovable guy who just wanted to help. Even some Muslim clerics were pleading for his release. Sad.

Users who are viewing this thread