What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

I think @TLEF316was asking about Sands.  Here is his coach putting in a strong word for him that may help his Gold Cup hopes

==========

NYCFC

Ronny Deila: "For me James Sands is absolute class.  It's a mystery he is not with the national team"

Pretty solid read here from Klinsmann. I'll quote it as I don't think everyone wants to sign up for it.

Jurgen Klinsmann on what's behind the new wave of young American stars in Europe -- and the implications of their success

by Paul Kennedy @pkedit, Today

When Jurgen Klinsmann departed as U.S. national team coach in November 2016, just three players who dressed for the losses to Mexico and Costa Rica will be with the national team in the Concacaf Nations League, which starts on June 3.

John Brooks and DeAndre Yedlin were then young holdovers from the 2014 World Cup. Christian Pulisic was 18 and playing his first full season at Borussia Dortmund for Thomas Tuchel, his manager now at Chelsea.

Pulisic's cohorts were just starting out. Weston McKennie was in his season at Schalke 04, playing for its U-19s. Tyler Adams had just won the USL Championship as a 17-year-old with the New York Red Bulls II. Gio Reyna was playing in his second season in the Development Academy with NYCFC's U-15/16s.

Since then, Pulisic, McKennie, Adams and Reyna have blossomed into stars as a new wave of young Americans has burst on the scene across Europe. Klinsmann says their performances at some of the biggest clubs in Europe make him smile.

In a media call with U.S. journalists on Wednesday, Klinsmann talked about their progress and how the American soccer scene has changed over the last decade since he was appointed as national team coach in 2011.

What Klinsmann finds most satisfying about the success of the young Americans in Europe in recent years is not just their maturity but also their growth as players and people.

"You want to see a development as a person, as a character, as a human being and this goes kind of hand in hand," he said. "Every person is different and has his own up and downs and his own difficulties or gold moments. But every time one of the boys scores a goal or has an outstanding performance, it just gives me a smile on my face."

Klinsmann said the success of players like Pulisic, McKennie, Adams and Reyna, who all played on teams that reached the knockout stage of the 2021 Champions League, will have long-term implications on American soccer.

"It shows all the American kids and talents and players, wherever they are and whatever league they're playing in, that there is a path," he said. "To the biggest teams in the world, there is a possibility. If you believe in yourself, if you work hard and, obviously, if you have the skill set for it."

Klinsmann says the talent has always been there in the American ranks, but he agrees that what is different is that young Americans are much better prepared and they and everyone around them are more realistic about what it takes to make it in Europe. And they are starting out as pros at much younger ages.

"The generation now is prepared for making a big move, at a very early age," he said. "We all always had the discussions about first college, then the professional game, what is the right move? Then we had more and more kids turn pro after the first year of college or maybe the second. Now you have that huge pool of young players at the age under-18."

Klinsmann said the success of the USA at the international youth level -- three straight quarterfinal appearances at the Under-20 World Cup under Tab Ramos and a quarterfinal appearance at the 2017 Under-17 World Cup under John Hackworth -- confirmed the talent was always there.

"This is what really happened over the last 5-6-7 years," he said. "They became courageous enough, their families and their personal environments figured out a way to prepare them the right way, mentally and step by step, physically."

The turning point came when European clubs aggressively entered the U.S. market in search of young players.

"European scouts look at the American market completely different today than they did 10 years ago," Klinsmann said. "Because of all those youth tournaments, the age got younger and younger where they scouted players in Africa and Asia or in South America. It also came into the American market, and they came to watch Development Academy tournaments, they went to watch U-15s, U-16s, U-17s, and they made themselves familiar with American players at a far earlier age than they ever did before. And the result is, now we see more players earlier going to Europe, trying it out, testing the water and getting experiences."

Americans have been going to Europe for more than 30 years. He cited longtime national team stars like Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller, Steve Cherundolo and DaMarcus Beasley who had long careers abroad.

"But having them in Champions League teams, that's a little bit different," Klinsmann said. "The creme de la creme of world football is the Champions League, and now having two players on Saturday in the final actually on the team sheets [Pulisic for Chelsea, Zack Steffen for Manchester City], that's a big deal and that makes all of us really happy."

He said what stands out about the young Americans is their confidence and cites McKennie, who made the move from Schalke 04 to Juventus and broke into the lineup.

"It tells you a lot about the confidence of this player generation," Klinsmann said. "They have trust in themselves, they believe in themselves, and Weston is a great example. Weston is a very outgoing kid. He has no fear, he has belief in himself. And he knows how to adjust himself in different environments. When I heard the news he was going to Juventus, I was going, what? He just kinda broke through at Schalke, and was going to Italy to one of the biggest clubs in the world? That speaks for his confidence and also his desire and this drive to prove a point. And it's a different generation that we deal with."

He said the big test will come in World Cup 2022 qualifying when these young players will be asked to take responsibility and guide the USA back to the finals.

"That's what they hopefully develop now over these years in these big clubs," Klinsmann said, "they develop the capability to take over responsibility when it really matters, so there is not another disaster coming along anymore, where everybody was speechless because the things didn't go so well in that particular game [2-1 loss at Trinidad & Tobago] and suddenly you're not at the World Cup. I think we have now a generation of players in the U.S. represented in European clubs or represented in MLS teams that have more confidence, that have more -- I would call it -- coins in their pockets to pull out when it's necessary."

WHERE'S JOZY?????!!!???
update, and not a good one.  

===========================

Toronto FC has told striker Jozy Altidore to train on his own and apart from the first team following a disagreement with manager Chris Armas, sources have told ESPN.

The sources added that Altidore was upset at being replaced by Ayo Akinola in the 70th minute of Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Orlando City, and confronted Armas over his decision to take him off with the Reds in need of a goal. The sources added that Altidore hasn't been fined.

The development is the latest sign that Altidore wants out of Toronto. Back in January, with rumors swirling about a potential transfer involving the U.S. international forward, sources told ESPN that Altidore's relationship with GM Ali Curtis had reached a breaking point over his contract.

"It tells you a lot about the confidence of this player generation," Klinsmann said. "They have trust in themselves, they believe in themselves, and Weston is a great example. Weston is a very outgoing kid. He has no fear, he has belief in himself. And he knows how to adjust himself in different environments. When I heard the news he was going to Juventus, I was going, what? He just kinda broke through at Schalke, and was going to Italy to one of the biggest clubs in the world? That speaks for his confidence and also his desire and this drive to prove a point. And it's a different generation that we deal with."
He sounds just like we did when we heard Weston was making the jump to Juventus :)

I wonder what was the impetus for the scouts to start watch academy teams which seems to have been an important part of our kids getting to go to Europe much earlier than normal.

I think @TLEF316was asking about Sands.  Here is his coach putting in a strong word for him that may help his Gold Cup hopes

==========

NYCFC

Ronny Deila: "For me James Sands is absolute class.  It's a mystery he is not with the national team"

I dont see how you dont take him to the gold cup. They need a backup 6 and he's an obvious choice. I know his star has dimmed a little the past couple of years due to the injuries, but he was a highly regarded prospect. Still just 20. REALLY hope he gets a shot.

Klinsmann looks better and better as time goes on IMO.  Still not sure he's a good manager (though the Copa run was one of the USMNT peaks), but he was right about a lot.

Klinsmann looks better and better as time goes on IMO.  Still not sure he's a good manager (though the Copa run was one of the USMNT peaks), but he was right about a lot.
Many of us in the thread always thought Klinsmann would have worked much better in a different role with in US Soccer, acting as a liaison to Europe with his contacts and perhaps helping the burgeoning academies at the time which were just starting to get off the ground. 

But he lacked the verbal ability to be tactful when making comments (which is something I assume a German native speaker would inherently struggle with).  I was also very disappointed that when he was invited to visit some academies, he declined, but this may have all been after everything deteriorated too badly.

From a coaching aspect, he was out of his depth IMO.  Had Sunil not lusted after the guy so much, we should have had a new coach immediately after the 2015 Gold Cup which is where everything turned wrong.

As much as I hate the fact that he lost the teams faith entirely to the point where the team quit on him (something I had never seen before since watching from the late 80's), I give him some credit for keeping his mouth shut after leaving.   He has to have some amazing stories that would make many in US Soccer look terrible.

The closed mouth approach may also be tied to something financial for all I know.  He was able to collect a large salary for years after being fired according to the US Soccer financial reports.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are our realistic expectations for Nations League?

I feel like anything less than a solid win against Honduras and a well played game against Mexico would be extremely disappointing to me.

But at the same time, as much as I want to see a win against a Mexican A side, I don't know how realistic that is for this groups experience level (especially when the game is being played in Denver in front what I assume will be a >80% pro Mexican crowd).

I am kind of bummed that the first introduction to a big game in the US for some of our dual nats like Musah and Dest will be yet another "away" game against Mexico.  

I feel like anything less than a solid win against Honduras and a well played game against Mexico would be extremely disappointing to me.

But at the same time, as much as I want to see a win against a Mexican A side, I don't know how realistic that is for this groups experience level (especially when the game is being played in Denver in front what I assume will be a 70% pro Mexican crowd).

I am kind of bummed that the first introduction to a big game in the US for some of our dual nats like Musah and Dest will be yet another "away" game against Mexico.  
This is a whole new thing that I don't think we've ever seen from a USMNT.  These kids have boatloads of experience playing on the biggest teams against the biggest teams on the biggest stages.  While playing "away" games against CONCACAF teams will always be a different animal, this is no longer about just having to scrape by to get points.  Our talent level, even without the entire full A team, is at least a level above Mexico and multiple levels above anyone else.  It's not that wins are guaranteed, but they should start to be expected.  The mindset has to change given how good our players are now.

This a whole new thing that I don't think we've ever seen from a USMNT.  These kids have boatloads of experience playing on the biggest teams against the biggest teams on the biggest stages.  While playing "away" games against CONCACAF teams will always be a different animal, this is no longer about just having to scrape by to get points.  Our talent level, even without the entire full A team, is at least a level above Mexico and multiple levels above anyone else.  It's not that wins are guaranteed, but they should start to be expected.  The mindset has to change given how good our players are now.
I agree and yet I still struggle after so many decades of not having this level of quality available to us. 

I guess I will need to see it work on the field before I allow myself to believe (and eventually expect).

The lack of real games for so long has not helped this process.

=======================

United States men's national team striker Josh Sargent appears on his way out of German club Werder Bremen. The St. Louis native, fresh off his best season as a pro with seven goals in 35 games, is likely to leave the club following relegation from the Bundesliga, a source close to the player told CBS Sports on Friday. Sargent was Bremen's top scorer last season and registered the fourth-most minutes.

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

With Galtier leaving Lille, Marsch out at RBS, Pirlo out at Juve, Koeman seemingly out at Barca, Rosa in at BVB, it's going to be quite a list of #USMNT players who will be playing under new managers (including those at different clubs) next season. Worth keeping an eye on

The list is obviously too long for 1 tweet but Weah, Dest, Brooks, McKennie, Sargent, Aaronson, Siebatcheu, Reyna, Horvath, Reynolds are all set for new managers. Adams is different. The list might also grow to include Robinson/Ream, Dike, Steffen, Miazga, & plenty more

Certainly a story to follow. It'll be a really important preseason for most of the #USMNT core to adjust to new managers.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I remember hearing years ago a little time after moving here that every USMNT dating back like 40 or 50 years has had at least one St. Louis native on it. 

Like you said, It's crazy to me considering how big soccer is here that it's taken this long.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I remember hearing years ago a little time after moving here that every USMNT dating back like 40 or 50 years has had at least one St. Louis native on it. 

Like you said, It's crazy to me considering how big soccer is here that it's taken this long.
Well, here you go

The St. Louis area has contributed at least one participant to each FIFA World Cup contested by the United States men's team. Twenty-nine St. Louisans have been inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame.[34]

The U.S. team for the 1950 World Cup, which defeated England 1–0 in one of the most noted upsets in World Cup history, had five of the eleven players on the team from St. Louis, including many from the historically Italian neighborhood of The Hill. This event was chronicled in the 2005 film The Game of Their Lives (released on DVD as The Miracle Match).

But at the same time, as much as I want to see a win against a Mexican A side, I don't know how realistic that is for this groups experience level (especially when the game is being played in Denver in front what I assume will be a >80% pro Mexican crowd).

WINS.  That's what I ####### expect. :boxing:  

dos a cero de nueva

What do German fans expect when they play Finland?

At some point, we have to beat them. As far as I can tell, the last time we did it in a match that matters was September 2013 in WCQ

Not sure what the rosters looked like, but ......

2014-  Drew 2-2 in a Friendly in Arizona

2015- Won a friendly 2-0 in Texas

2016- Lost 2-1 in Columbus (with yours truly in attendance) in WCQ. Freaking Marquez

2017- Drew 1-1 at the Azteca in WCQ (sick goal by Bradley)

2018- Won 1-0 in a friendly in Nashville

2019- Lost the gold cup final 1-0 and then got trounced 3-0 in a Friendly

2020- no matches.

I mean....come on...... I get that our team is still young, but if they want to show they're the real deal...sack up and beat them. No Raul Jimenez, Lainez (among others) with the U-24's.  Win. 

At some point, we have to beat them. As far as I can tell, the last time we did it in a match that matters was September 2013 in WCQ

Not sure what the rosters looked like, but ......

2014-  Drew 2-2 in a Friendly in Arizona

2015- Won a friendly 2-0 in Texas

2016- Lost 2-1 in Columbus (with yours truly in attendance) in WCQ. Freaking Marquez

2017- Drew 1-1 at the Azteca in WCQ (sick goal by Bradley)

2018- Won 1-0 in a friendly in Nashville

2019- Lost the gold cup final 1-0 and then got trounced 3-0 in a Friendly

2020- no matches.

I mean....come on...... I get that our team is still young, but if they want to show they're the real deal...sack up and beat them. No Raul Jimenez, Lainez (among others) with the U-24's.  Win. 
Mex is still a quality side, no matter who shows up. Tecatito, Chucky, and I'm sure a bunch of quality youth players.

But yeah...given the on-paper quality of our young guns, they should be getting more consistent results vs Mex and CR. I'm with Andy in wanting them to play well and impose themselves...I want the win, but that's a not so distant second.

And Honduras is a must win or don't bother showing up for the third place game.

Mex is still a quality side, no matter who shows up. Tecatito, Chucky, and I'm sure a bunch of quality youth players.

But yeah...given the on-paper quality of our young guns, they should be getting more consistent results vs Mex and CR. I'm with Andy in wanting them to play well and impose themselves...I want the win, but that's a not so distant second.

And Honduras is a must win or don't bother showing up for the third place game.
THERE'S A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN!

Seriously, any match against Mexico going forward should be like the Third Round Proper of the FA Cup when the Premier League teams join the fray.  The only reason we should lose is bad luck or not caring.  3-1-1 out of every five matches should be expected.  Maybe not quite Whales v Minnows, but the talented level is hugely weighted in our favor.  The only hope Mexico has in the future is picking up our duo-nat scraps.

THERE'S A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN!

Seriously, any match against Mexico going forward should be like the Third Round Proper of the FA Cup when the Premier League teams join the fray.  The only reason we should lose is bad luck or not caring.  3-1-1 out of every five matches should be expected.  Maybe not quite Whales v Minnows, but the talented level is hugely weighted in our favor.  The only hope Mexico has in the future is picking up our duo-nat scraps.
I'll have what he's having

we focus on wet and bumpy but if we just don't fall asleep at the end of that Mexico game, they make the WC even with all the other horrendous results.

That was also the game where Klins started them out in a 3-5-2 that they had absolutely no business playing. The team basically revolted on the pitch and they got lucky that Guardado got hurt (which gave them a chance to re-group). Otherwise it might have been 4-0 at half time. 

Then they had to waste a sub on Howard after he hurt his groin.

That was a REALLY fun weekend until Marquez headed home that goal. The 9 hour drive home wasn't so fun after that.....

That was also the game where Klins started them out in a 3-5-2 that they had absolutely no business playing. The team basically revolted on the pitch and they got lucky that Guardado got hurt (which gave them a chance to re-group). Otherwise it might have been 4-0 at half time. 

Then they had to waste a sub on Howard after he hurt his groin.

That was a REALLY fun weekend until Marquez headed home that goal. The 9 hour drive home wasn't so fun after that.....
This was easily the lowest moment for pure coaching tactics I ever remember for the US, even worse than the dreaded 3-6-1.

Not only was it a bad idea, Mexico was expecting it,  They watched how the US lined up, and then their coach immediately countered what JK was trying to do before the ball even kicked off.

And it was all made worse because JK just sat there and let the US get over run.  It took an injury where Bradley and Jones had to scream at JK to get him to change what they were doing.  I think we lost 35 minutes of that first half.

[USMNT Only] Everton and Wolves are reportedly leading the way for a move for Daryl Dike, with Southampton, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Norwich interested as well. Per @TEAMtalk, 'there is also major interest developing around Europe, particularly in Germany

The US's average age of the Nations League roster is a large 4 years younger than Honduras and Costa Rica and a whopping 5 years younger than Mexico's.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
damn, was hoping he would start

==========================

Roger Gonzalez

@RGonzalezCBS

I'm told American star Christian Pulisic will begin the UEFA Champions League final on the bench.

damn, was hoping he would start

==========================

Roger Gonzalez

@RGonzalezCBS

I'm told American star Christian Pulisic will begin the UEFA Champions League final on the bench.
Been refreshing my feeds in the hope I'd see him in the starting lineup. Damn.

Pulisic is the first ever USMNT player to hoist the Champions League trophy!!  Pretty cool to see that happen.

Monday he gets to walk into the USMNT squad with a swagger.  

Would have been incredible if he'd been able to bury his chance (or if he had started over Werner and gotten more chances, which he probably should have) but pretty awesome.

Hopefully we're less than 10 years away from elite teams having multiple Americans in their squads and being in the mix for something like this every year. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility based on the leap in quality over the last 3-5 years.

Pulisic is the first ever USMNT player to hoist the Champions League trophy!!  Pretty cool to see that happen.
I don't know what the distinction is but does Kirovski not count because he did not dress for the Dortmund UCL final? He was a part of the roster.

I loved that he was wearing a USMNT hoodie when lifting it and his dad moving his medal so that the US logo was clearly seen  :)   :heart:

NewlyRetired said:
I don't know what the distinction is but does Kirovski not count because he did not dress for the Dortmund UCL final? He was a part of the roster.

I loved that he was wearing a USMNT hoodie when lifting it and his dad moving his medal so that the US logo was clearly seen  :)   :heart:
Jovan doesn't count because screw that guy.

Users who are viewing this thread