What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

Before the virus hit, I think this was a good solution.   Even the small USL teams have their own academies now.  We were pretty much at the point where we were as getting the most country wide net we have ever had for development.

Of course now I have no idea as you have to think a scary number of the USL teams may not survive financially.

I can't speak for the girls, but there are a ton of the traditional clubs that have always provided the talent.  The women will suffer if the rest of the world catches up, but just like our USL teams, you have to think that many womens teams around the world are going to struggle.
To give an idea of the finances, Adrian Hanauer, owners of the Sounders, gave an interview yesterday where they said they are projecting MLS will lose in the high 100's of millions this year, and could break a billion.

That is money that is lost forever for the sport in the country.  The MLS billionaires can with stand the enormous losses for probably 1 year at most.  And even though the USL losses are going to be much less, the typical USL owner is not the mega rich kind and won't have the ability to with stand even much smaller losses.

To give an idea of the finances, Adrian Hanauer, owners of the Sounders, gave an interview yesterday where they said they are projecting MLS will lose in the high 100's of millions this year, and could break a billion.

That is money that is lost forever for the sport in the country.  The MLS billionaires can with stand the enormous losses for probably 1 year at most.  And even though the USL losses are going to be much less, the typical USL owner is not the mega rich kind and won't have the ability to with stand even much smaller losses.
Those are losses assumed without any mitigation efforts correct?  I'm assuming there'll be a lot of temp. layoffs and mandatory pay cuts to help those numbers.  I know there are even EPL teams that are cutting salaries due to this.

Those are losses assumed without any mitigation efforts correct?  I'm assuming there'll be a lot of temp. layoffs and mandatory pay cuts to help those numbers.  I know there are even EPL teams that are cutting salaries due to this.
He did not specify. 

The key though for me is the mitigating efforts may be a bit meaningless unless they find a way to hit the coaching staff and players as they carry the vast majority of the expenses.  There are a few players who probably make more by themselves than all the front offices combined.

Also, the debt services on the stadiums are going to be crushing with no revenues to offset them.  I am pretty sure the sponsors and tv partners have trap doors so that they do not need to give any revenue while the league is suspended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schalke 04 is in big financial trouble.  Sounds like decisions will be made at a board meeting in early May, but it you can expect to see a lot of their top players sold this summer.  McKennie would likely bring in $20M+ given he is a good young American and it wouldn't surprise me to see him moved this summer.

Schalke 04 is in big financial trouble.  Sounds like decisions will be made at a board meeting in early May, but it you can expect to see a lot of their top players sold this summer.  McKennie would likely bring in $20M+ given he is a good young American and it wouldn't surprise me to see him moved this summer.
The transfer market is going to be so screwed up.  95% of the worlds teams are going to want/have to sell and there are not going to be any where enough buyers to balance things.  I think the normal transfer fees are going to fall through the floor as the supply is going to be so much bigger than the demand.

Germany relies on game day revenue more than any other of the big soccer leagues.  I bet Schalke is not going to be the only Bundesliga team that is in financial trouble.

:(

The transfer market is going to be so screwed up.  95% of the worlds teams are going to want/have to sell and there are not going to be any where enough buyers to balance things.  I think the normal transfer fees are going to fall through the floor as the supply is going to be so much bigger than the demand.

Germany relies on game day revenue more than any other of the big soccer leagues.  I bet Schalke is not going to be the only Bundesliga team that is in financial trouble.

:(
Good point on the market.  I wonder how much talent is going to make its way to the top 8-9 teams in the world this summer.  Could become a REALLY top heavy sport for a few years.

I can't help but get the sense of a snow ball rolling down a mountain :(

======

Not only has the United States Soccer Federation formally ended its development academy, it is also shuttering most of its youth national teams until at least 2021 because of the financial problems caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports.

The decision impacts nine national teams on both the men’s and women’s sides. Only the under-17 and U-20 programs will continue for the women, as will the men’s U-17, U-20 and U-23 teams. The men’s U-23 squad was scheduled to compete in CONCACAF’s Olympic qualifying tournament last month in Guadalajara, Mexico before the event was postponed indefinitely because of the ongoing health crisis. The 2020 Olympics in Tokyo have since been moved to 2021.

FIFA organizes World Cups at the U-17 and U-20 levels for both men and women, although the 2020 U-17 women’s World Cup in India, scheduled for November, has also been postponed.

The nine youth teams that will immediately cease operations are the U-15 and U-16 boys and girls, U-18 and U-19 women and men, and the U-23 women’s squad. The plan is for those programs to return sometime in 2021, according to a federation source.

[Pablo Maurer] Chris Durkin’s transfer to Belgian side Sint-Truiden is a done deal - only detail that remains is a signature. Terms: #DCU will make another $1.2mil - in addition to the 200k they received initially. $1.4mil total. Durkin stands to make approx 400k Euro/yr base in Belgium

He did not specify. 

The key though for me is the mitigating efforts may be a bit meaningless unless they find a way to hit the coaching staff and players as they carry the vast majority of the expenses.  There are a few players who probably make more by themselves than all the front offices combined.

Also, the debt services on the stadiums are going to be crushing with no revenues to offset them.  I am pretty sure the sponsors and tv partners have trap doors so that they do not need to give any revenue while the league is suspended.
The Athletic is reporting that MLS will begin formal negotiations with the players for pay cuts.  The report said MLS will be looking at up to a 50% cut in pay, based on a scenario where no games can be played in front of fans.

I am interested to see how this plays out.  I have perused the CBA in the past, and while thorough, I don't think either side had a contingency in writing for such a one time occurrence as this virus.

NewlyRetired said:
The Athletic is reporting that MLS will begin formal negotiations with the players for pay cuts.  The report said MLS will be looking at up to a 50% cut in pay, based on a scenario where no games can be played in front of fans.

I am interested to see how this plays out.  I have perused the CBA in the past, and while thorough, I don't think either side had a contingency in writing for such a one time occurrence as this virus.
Herc tweeted that while the CBA was agreed to by both sides, it was never formally ratified yet....... He said there is a chance the owners could lock out the players if they don't agree to a pay cut...

This short training clip of Gio shows a skill that could help elevate him above Pulisic some day.   Pulisic has never had this skill set in his arsenal.

https://twitter.com/usmntonly/status/1251223775510695949?s=20
Not to say Gio can't outshoot CP from distance...dunno. but to be fair, looks (on my tiny phone screen) like he's hit those on the half volley. Even shader could drill those like that if caught right. Guarantee CP could as well.

Not to say Gio can't outshoot CP from distance...dunno. but to be fair, looks (on my tiny phone screen) like he's hit those on the half volley. Even shader could drill those like that if caught right. Guarantee CP could as well.
Why do they hit them on the way up?  I didn't play much soccer, but I always found hitting it on the way down miles easier.

I blew the video up to get a better look.  I don't think either was a half volley. 

The first was a clean shot as the ball had settled on the ground.  Maybe there was a tiny hop but hard to tell.

The second one never touched the ground so that was a full volley, a MUCH more difficult shot than the first.  You can even see Gio celebrating at the end because that was almost as good as it gets with the swerve.

I think this is from the video I watched years ago via NYRB supporters email, but have never seen since. Loooved hearing and seeing their approach...so breathtakingly clear
Can you imagine Jesse's boner when he first started to teach this philosophy in Austria and then sees Haaland on the end of every direct move through the middle? 

lol :)

Why do they hit them on the way up?  I didn't play much soccer, but I always found hitting it on the way down miles easier.
On the full volley you get top spin...nice to beat the GK under the bar that way. But you have to hit it just right, and the downward drop before hitting it and subsequent spin tends to take some power out of it.

Half volley generates max power with the energy of the ball already moving off the ground- easier to hit hard and straight than from the ground. Not easier, skillwise, but easier to hit hard than a full volley too.

On the full volley you get top spin...nice to beat the GK under the bar that way. But you have to hit it just right, and the downward drop before hitting it and subsequent spin tends to take some power out of it.

Half volley generates max power with the energy of the ball already moving off the ground- easier to hit hard and straight than from the ground. Not easier, skillwise, but easier to hit hard than a full volley too.
Shooting for power was always my weakest skill growing up, but damn did it feel great to catch a half volley.  I never understood the physics but I swear I could shoot twice as hard on a half volley compared to a regular shot.

I blew the video up to get a better look.  I don't think either was a half volley. 

The first was a clean shot as the ball had settled on the ground.  Maybe there was a tiny hop but hard to tell.

The second one never touched the ground so that was a full volley, a MUCH more difficult shot than the first.  You can even see Gio celebrating at the end because that was almost as good as it gets with the swerve.
:thumbup:

Both shots were flat out smoked. And opposite upper corners too.

Damn. I hope we get to see these guys play soon. 

Thanks Flop.  Hope you guys are doing OK there in NYC. 

Let me preface this by saying "when I played soccer" is generous.  So you know -- grain of salt.

But I was pretty athletic and could track a ball in the air really well from baseball and football, so that part of the game and how to pass and move or how to find and time a run into space were easy.

Anyhow, I remember a couple times when I was very first playing that I let the ball drop all the way and then hit it with my right while my left foot was planted right next to the ball and my right knee was almost straight over it.  Kind hitting down on it even though it's falling and close to the ground.  But I know if I'd let it bounce I probably wouldn't have been able to hit it as clean.  I always wanted to ask why good players did it the other way 'round.

(btw... maybe a separate topic, but does everyone have crystal clear snapshots and memories of plays?  Like I remember exact moments and can recall the physical sensations of doing something new or making a play where I had to improvise.  The perfect tension in my feet as I jump-hopped and pivoted towards third to balance and make a snap throw.  Or the sitcomish feeling of time stopping while a ball's in flight and then starting again when it hit my mitt.  Or how my foot slipped out as I launched backward and rolled my body to try and make a catch.  Or literally turning my brain off in the middle of a pass where I had a guy running WFO so I'd rip it instead of trying to guide it.  Trapping a mile-high clearance in a soccer game by catching it between my knees so cleanly I had to let it go to do anything with it.  I have 100s of these memories and I could add a lot of detail about most of them too.  I've always assumed everyone has them, but as I get older I kind of wonder.  Is this normal?)

Can you imagine Jesse's boner when he first started to teach this philosophy in Austria and then sees Haaland on the end every every direct move through the middle? 

lol :)
I'm thinking of what all my friends who played over there (at least in Germany) said...about every player being drilled with technique from day one...all of them like automatons (granted early 90s when Germany was a bit lacking creativity). Add some clear tactical direction in front of them like March...whammo

Let me preface this by saying "when I played soccer" is generous.  So you know -- grain of salt.

But I was pretty athletic and could track a ball in the air really well from baseball and football, so that part of the game and how to pass and move or how to find and time a run into space were easy.

Anyhow, I remember a couple times when I was very first playing that I let the ball drop all the way and then hit it with my right while my left foot was planted right next to the ball and my right knee was almost straight over it.  Kind hitting down on it even though it's falling and close to the ground.  But I know if I'd let it bounce I probably wouldn't have been able to hit it as clean.  I always wanted to ask why good players did it the other way 'round.

(btw... maybe a separate topic, but does everyone have crystal clear snapshots and memories of plays?  Like I remember exact moments and can recall the physical sensations of doing something new or making a play where I had to improvise.  The perfect tension in my feet as I jump-hopped and pivoted towards third to balance and make a snap throw.  Or the sitcomish feeling of time stopping while a ball's in flight and then starting again when it hit my mitt.  Or how my foot slipped out as I launched backward and rolled my body to try and make a catch.  Or literally turning my brain off in the middle of a pass where I had a guy running WFO instead of trying to guide it.  Trapping a mile-high clearance in a soccer game by catching it between my knees so cleanly I had to let it go to do anything with it.  I have 100s of these memories and I could add a lot of detail about most of them too.  I've always assumed everyone has these, but as I get older I kind of wonder.  Is this normal?)
No

I would use all five emoties on this if I could.
I kid.

I can still see and feel a ton of plays as they happened in microsecond breakdowns.

Clearest one is the series of movements and internal decisions that led to the goal that knocked us out of the NCAAs rround of 16, senior year of college (our freshly subbed forward didn't track their freshly subbed fullback pushing forward with the ball from our side of the center circle...I had to either step to him or let my guy go who had just started a dangerous run towards our box. I opted to cover the run, and this freshman sub drilled a 35 yard dart into the upper corner with a minute left in the game...ending my college career. Every millisecond and micro decision of that play is seemed into my brain.

But I also remember and still feel hitting two corners directly in for goals on the full volley. One of them helped start my college recruiting and men's league starting role...was 14 or 15 in a men's league playing against the Brown coach's son. My HS coach had recommended me to the team, but without getting any practice time, the coach was loath to put me in sight unseen. Gave me the chance and subbed me in at the end of my first game and I did that. Damn...it STILL feels so good in my muscle memory to hit it that cleanly.

So....no.

Dutch Football

@FootballOranje_

Bayern Munich's move for Sergino Dest has been put on hold. It is very likely that he will be at Ajax for another year.

Dutch Football

@FootballOranje_

Bayern Munich's move for Sergino Dest has been put on hold. It is very likely that he will be at Ajax for another year.
I was about to give a crying emoji...but it's not like he's stuck at Sunderland. Yeah...serie a and bundesliga would be a nice step up in terms of leagues that focus on defense a bit more than the eredivisie...but could do worse that another year at Ajax.

I was about to give a crying emoji...but it's not like he's stuck at Sunderland. Yeah...serie a and bundesliga would be a nice step up in terms of leagues that focus on defense a bit more than the eredivisie...but could do worse that another year at Ajax.
And this is not an Aaron Long situation where he may have missed his window either.  Dest is still just a baby at 19.

Saw this stat on twitter:

=========

Most aerial duels won per 90 mins (min 15 games) out of any midfielders in the Bundesliga this year.

1.Alfredo Morales

2. Marko Grujic

3. Weston McKennie

Lets stipulate that GGG is absolutely married to a 4-1-2-3

Lets also stipulate that Adams is the 1

Could either one (but not both together) of Reyna or Pulisic function as one of the 2?  I ask this because I believe winger is going to soon be our deepest position and am trying to figure out a way to get the most skill on the field at one time with out losing too much defensively.

This thought also came up as a recent GGG interview had him saying that Pulisic has been much more dangerous for Chelsea when he has played more centrally than on the touch line.

Lets stipulate that GGG is absolutely married to a 4-1-2-3

Lets also stipulate that Adams is the 1

Could either one (but not both together) of Reyna or Pulisic function as one of the 2?  I ask this because I believe winger is going to soon be our deepest position and am trying to figure out a way to get the most skill on the field at one time with out losing too much defensively.

This thought also came up as a recent GGG interview had him saying that Pulisic has been much more dangerous for Chelsea when he has played more centrally than on the touch line.
I feel like CP has been central when he's pushed up front, otherwise he's out wide. I like him in both spots, but don't want him too deep, receiving balls in our half with back to goal to get butt raped by concacaf 6s.

I feel like CP has been central when he's pushed up front, otherwise he's out wide. I like him in both spots, but don't want him too deep, receiving balls in our half with back to goal to get butt raped by concacaf 6s.
Geez man, tell us how you really feel.

(btw... maybe a separate topic, but does everyone have crystal clear snapshots and memories of plays?  Like I remember exact moments and can recall the physical sensations of doing something new or making a play where I had to improvise.  The perfect tension in my feet as I jump-hopped and pivoted towards third to balance and make a snap throw.  Or the sitcomish feeling of time stopping while a ball's in flight and then starting again when it hit my mitt.  Or how my foot slipped out as I launched backward and rolled my body to try and make a catch.  Or literally turning my brain off in the middle of a pass where I had a guy running WFO so I'd rip it instead of trying to guide it.  Trapping a mile-high clearance in a soccer game by catching it between my knees so cleanly I had to let it go to do anything with it.  I have 100s of these memories and I could add a lot of detail about most of them too.  I've always assumed everyone has them, but as I get older I kind of wonder.  Is this normal?)
I played a lot of keeper and had several moments where time just seemed to go in slow motion while making a diving save.  To the point that I can still remember the image of seeing my gloved hand get to a spinning ball.  Of course, one of those moments was when I misplayed a lazy high shot and had to kind of turn my body around to avoid an absolute howler.  But it happened a few other times on legitimately decent saves.  And once on a volley my last year playing.

I switched to football in high school and played on the line, but I came back as a TE late one season after an appendectomy and the same thing happened on a touchdown catch in a playoff game.  

Geez man, tell us how you really feel.
It is true though. :(

I honestly feel though that it won't matter where Pulisic play as relates to what Floppo said.  He is going to be targeted for injury and he is just not built to withstand it.  And this is further an issue because Concacaf refs have no care in the world about protecting skilled players.

I think they only way we can protect him is to get so many skilled players on the field at one time, he can't be targeted.  We really need both Uly and Reyna to come close to maximizing their offensive potential.

It is true though. :(

I honestly feel though that it won't matter where Pulisic play as relates to what Floppo said.  He is going to be targeted for injury and he is just not built to withstand it.  And this is further an issue because Concacaf refs have no care in the world about protecting skilled players.

I think they only way we can protect him is to get so many skilled players on the field at one time, he can't be targeted.  We really need both Uly and Reyna to come close to maximizing their offensive potential.
For me, the best way to protect him is to have him as high up the field as possible. Opposition lustily will kick him down at midfield, but might think twice if it's in their defensive third where the US can capitalize on set pieces. Although I don't remember this group being any good at set pieces, outside of zardoz-face.

Although I don't remember this group being any good at set pieces, outside of zardoz-face.
I was thinking about this the other day. 

We should be fine on the crossing type of set pieces but we don't have anyone in the younger generation that looks to be a free kick shooter type.   Mendez is the best we have in the system but he is a long way away from the National team as it stands now.  If he does not advance, I think Jozy may be the best we have from the 20-25 yard range for a shot on goal.

I will be watching Reyna closely.  I think he possibly has the right combination of power and accuracy that he may grow into this spot.

We should be fine on the crossing type of set pieces but we don't have anyone in the younger generation that looks to be a free kick shooter type.   Mendez ss the best we have in the system but he is a long way away from the National team as it stands now.  If he does not advance, I think Jozy may be the best we have from the 20-25 range for a shot on goal.

I will be watching Reyna closely.  I think he possibly has the right combination of power and accuracy that he may grow into this spot.
Kind of makes the Kellyn Acosta flameout hurt more.  He was a real weapon taking free kicks.

We should be fine on the crossing type of set pieces but we don't have anyone in the younger generation that looks to be a free kick shooter type.   Mendez is the best we have in the system but he is a long way away from the National team as it stands now.  If he does not advance, I think Jozy may be the best we have from the 20-25 yard range for a shot on goal.

tbh, I was thinking about crossed set pieces. I don't recall anybody in this new group really getting up for the ball. feel like it's invariably won by the opposing CBs without much problem.

Kind of makes the Kellyn Acosta flameout hurt more.  He was a real weapon taking free kicks.
wow. good call- he had a rocket. but it's crazy how quickly he went from hero to zero... I have no idea where he's even 'playing' these days.

tbh, I was thinking about crossed set pieces. I don't recall anybody in this new group really getting up for the ball. feel like it's invariably won by the opposing CBs without much problem.

wow. good call- he had a rocket. but it's crazy how quickly he went from hero to zero... I have no idea where he's even 'playing' these days.
I think we will be ok.  Long, Miazga and Brooks are all decent in the air and should match up well against the other CB's.  Swag is a hidden advantage for us because very few midfielders will be able to match up with him (which is why he wins so many aerial battles as my recent post showed in the Bundesliga).  If the opposing team has to use a CB to mark him, that should free up Brooks/Long/Miazga type.

Acosta left Dallas at a good time.  The problem was that was the perfect time to make the jump to a mid tier Bundesliga team.  Instead he went to the Rapids and pretty much flat lined his development.

Before this mess hit, there were rumors that the March camp was going to include some surprise new names.  Looks like Kobe Foster Hernandez may have been one of those players

================

@dkerr0118

Wolfsburg is very high on him. He’ll break through. He was reportedly also going to be in the March USMNT camp as well

No

Before this mess hit, there were rumors that the March camp was going to include some surprise new names.  Looks like Kobe Foster Hernandez may have been one of those players

================

@dkerr0118

Wolfsburg is very high on him. He’ll break through. He was reportedly also going to be in the March USMNT camp as well
with a name like that, I'd remember him... I don't remember him. who is this kid?

Users who are viewing this thread