What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (1 Viewer)

I think you’re misstating his argument. Gun owners like him aren’t the problem either. 
I think he's an example of far left who do believe all gun owners are kid killers..... hey, we got crazy far right's too I get it, just gotta call them what they are

I’m not knowledgeable enough about all these issues to know what a good compromise would be (but at first glance I’d want more from your side) but I agree with you in principle.
sure, I was shooting from the hip on ideas as an example of reasonable things that can be given that will help without banning anything or seriously impacting legal law abiding people

I think he's an example of far left who do believe all gun owners are kid killers..... hey, we got crazy far right's too I get it, just gotta call them what they are
Hey stealth my neighbor came over today and helped me with a small project I’m doing. He’s a big time gun owner. Works on them. Knows a lot. He had a gun. It didn’t bother me at all. Because I know him and trust him. Guys like that aren’t the problem. We even talked a little bit about the school shooting and agreed on pretty much everything. 

Hint: they really don’t like background checks 
true and for good reasons

but we DO have them, that concession was given by gun owners - they need to be way, way better as they sit too, don't they ?

the below numbers I'm unsure of .... but the point is laws broken, no penalties .... that's a problem, agreed?

By Robert VerBruggen

November 8, 2017 3:24 PM

Yesterday on Fox News, Ted Cruz went after the Obama administration because “in 2010, 48,000 felons & fugitives lied and illegally tried to purchase guns, [the Obama administration] prosecuted only 44 of them.” He touted a 2013 bill he co-sponsored that, among many other gun-related provisions, would have created a task force and allocated $50 million over five years to prosecute more people who try to buy guns and are rejected during the background check.

sure, I was shooting from the hip on ideas as an example of reasonable things that can be given that will help without banning anything or seriously impacting legal law abiding people
What is your opinion on requiring biometrics on guns manufactured at some future date?

Would you give up your right to own guns if it meant only 2 kids in the US were killed as a result of school shootings next year?
and I would ask you to give up your First Amendment Rights as well

deal ?

I'm guessing you'll not give up anything, rather you will demand others give up things ..... funny that huh ?

What is your opinion on requiring biometrics on guns manufactured at some future date?
technology sure is changing

I'd say #1 what to do with all the guns that don't have those and #2 I bet people will easily figure out how to get around the biometrics (if I'm getting what you're saying)

do you think banning bump stocks is a good idea ?

Sure...start a thread on it. Rather than the continued deflection in every topic about shootings and gun control.
Why? You compared the way auto regulation has an impact on safer roads. It is not universal and it does not prevent things like dui's. 

You're the one that wants to equate a gun (weapon) with a glass of beer not me,
to be fair, a glass of beer and my gun on the counter are equally safe things

only by pointing and shooting the gun or driving drunk do they become unsafe, both are actions of a person

You're the one that wants to equate a gun (weapon) with a glass of beer not me,
No I don't. I want to know why we want to ban one thing for the sake of saving lives, while the other continues to cause 10x more deaths each year. 

You can't argue innocent lives on one count and ignore the other. Guns and alcohol both serve a purpose and both cause senseless deaths. 

I'm guessing you'll not give up anything, rather you will demand others give up things ..... funny that huh ?
I will give up my guns!  Even if it means I can't hunt with them anymore.

But you won't agree to that, you are okay with the kids dying if it means you can own your guns.

Ok. We ban all guns. Does that mean the anti gun people bear the responsibility if a person dies, at the hands of a criminal, where owning a gun could have saved their life?

and when these people use bombs and knives, then what? ban those too ?
We can talk about that in the bomb and knife thread.

But first you have to agree that gun ownership is not as important as children's right to live.

But I think you like gun ownership better than stopping kids from being killed by them.

Why? You compared the way auto regulation has an impact on safer roads. It is not universal and it does not prevent things like dui's. 
:wall:

I was not the one who brought cars up to deflect.  But if you want to compare...it’s fair to them say sure, let’s add in such things for guns.  I know it’s not universal...I know it does not prevent things.  As has been said many many times...we won’t prevent every shooting.  That’s not the point.

Its hard to know if you don’t understand this...or wish to continue to just throw out crap to keep going.

I guess plenty will still engage with you...but I’m finding you to be intellectually dishonest and not worth the effort here.

Good day.

You mean like it saved the 10 lives in Sante Fe?
Sure. But you won't have mass shootings to point to any longer. What you will have is criminals obtaining illegal guns. Victims will still be there, just not in schools. Do you own that?

No I don't. I want to know why we want to ban one thing for the sake of saving lives, while the other continues to cause 10x more deaths each year. 

You can't argue innocent lives on one count and ignore the other. Guns and alcohol both serve a purpose and both cause senseless deaths. 
Yes you do and you just did, again.

Look, I know you're in here daily defending gun rights. I get it, and also know, because I've seen multiple threads just like this, its not worth arguing with folks like you -- You're not ready to make push for a change. Too bad, but I get it Period.

Later,

Sure. But you won't have mass shootings to point to any longer. What you will have is criminals obtaining illegal guns. Victims will still be there, just not in schools. Do you own that?
I will own the number of deaths beyond the number of deaths when guns were not outlawed.  So if you spot me 15,000 deaths by guns a year, I will own every single one after that.

technology sure is changing

I'd say #1 what to do with all the guns that don't have those and #2 I bet people will easily figure out how to get around the biometrics (if I'm getting what you're saying)

do you think banning bump stocks is a good idea ?
#1 No change. This would just be newly manufactured guns. #2 Hopefully it wouldn’t be easy and the technology would get better and better. Technology could also be used to have GPS indicators so stolen guns could be found. There are tons of things that technology can help with. Just like technology has made cars safer, it can make guns safer too.

From the little I know about bump stocks, yes, banning is a good idea.

:wall:

I was not the one who brought cars up to deflect.  But if you want to compare...it’s fair to them say sure, let’s add in such things for guns.  I know it’s not universal...I know it does not prevent things.  As has been said many many times...we won’t prevent every shooting.  That’s not the point.

Its hard to know if you don’t understand this...or wish to continue to just throw out crap to keep going.

I guess plenty will still engage with you...but I’m finding you to be intellectually dishonest and not worth the effort here.

Good day.
We are talking about regulations. Whether it's guns, cars, alcohol or lawn darts. I'm pointing out the flaws with each. Do you want flawed gun regulations? Then let's follow the way we treat automobiles. I can buy one right now with cash, use it for a month legally before I'm required to register. No insurance. I could be 16 years old and not have any proof of drivers license. The seller doesn't care. 

Look, I know you're in here daily defending gun rights. I get it, and also know, because I've seen multiple threads just like this, its not worth arguing with folks like you -- You're not ready to make push for a change. Too bad, but I get it Period.

Later,
Your right. I can't make any change right now. It will be a factor come election time. But, I know that many people here will "over" vote when it comes to gun regulation. 

I will own the number of deaths beyond the number of deaths when guns were not outlawed.  So if you spot me 15,000 deaths by guns a year, I will own every single one after that.
So you just defined the acceptable number of deaths after a gun ban. 

So you just defined the acceptable number of deaths after a gun ban. 
Awe that's cute.  You continue to fight to allow kids to be slaughtered because you are afraid to give up your guns.

In your eyes, guns mean more to you than kid's lives.

adonis said:
The times.

Airplanes were never before used to kill thousands of Americans.  What changed?  What did we do about it? 

Fertilizer bombs were never before used to blow stuff up? What changed? What did we do about it?

CO2 didn't use to be a problem for earth, but it seems to be now.  What changed? What should be done about it?

The reality is the world changes, people change, situations change, and we as a people have to be able to respond to the changes in ways that reduce the harm responsibly.
great analogy on airplanes - we hardened airport and airplane security , we didn't ban airplanes

we started tracking large buys of fertilizers and we placed guards at every federal building, we didn't ban fertilizer
You asked what changed, I said the times, and gave examples of other things that didn't used to be issues, but are now because times change.

We responded in ways that cut down on future incidents with bombs and hijacking.  We're not responding to school shootings in any meaningful way because of the gun lobby.  We're not responding to climate change because of the oil lobby.

Perhaps you think the solution is to make schools like a maximum security prison.  That's an option.  Another option is drastically reducing the availability of guns.  

One of those solutions dramatically changes the way schools function and has really no benefit on other problems in society, (maximum security schools) while reducing the availability of guns would not only benefit school security, but would improve things across society.

Times change, new problems crop up, and we can:
1) respond in ways that make sense and help address the underlying issue
2) basically ignore the problem and continue to suffer the same or increased results in a hope that it just goes away
3) take some steps that seem to make us feel good that don't require sacrifice and don't actually do much good.

We're stuck going between 2 and 3, and the gun lobby effectively prevents us from going after #1.

Ok. We ban all guns. Does that mean the anti gun people bear the responsibility if a person dies, at the hands of a criminal, where owning a gun could have saved their life?
There's no solution that prevents bad people from doing bad things.

There are solutions that limit the harm a bad person can do when doing bad things.

Awe that's cute.  You continue to fight to allow kids to be slaughtered because you are afraid to give up your guns.

In your eyes, guns mean more to you than kid's lives.
Your guilt tactics don't work with me. If this is what you need to fuel your mission, go ahead. 

You did establish a number of acceptable deaths. That's on you. I posted upstream that zero deaths is the acceptable number. 

There are solutions that limit the harm a bad person can do when doing bad things.
My post had nothing to do with that. It had to do with Toshiba trying to hold all gun owners at fault for any deaths. The reverse should hold true as well. 

My post had nothing to do with that. It had to do with Toshiba trying to hold all gun owners at fault for any deaths. The reverse should hold true as well. 
I think you have to accept the consequences of your decisions.  

Seatbelts in cars have saved many lives.  But I'm sure it's also caused some deaths that otherwise wouldn't have happened without them.  

Should folks who lobbied for seat belts be blamed for deaths from seatbelts?

We utilize them everywhere... except on guns.

Hell the NRA and its lobbying arm and our gun freaks... HAVE MADE IT ILLEGAL TO RESEARCH THE EFFECTS OF GUNS!
I'm to the point where the most reasonable solution seems to be major limitations on guns, but if those who want to protect guns have a BETTER IDEA, I'd be all for that.  The goal is to protect children here, not ban guns.  One is a means, the other is an end.  If we can achieve the end by different means, I'm all for it. 

Yet...nothing of consequence is being done.  Our politicians and leaders are letting us down, and the students are being forced to advocate for their own safety against our elected leaders.  That's where we are, and it's pathetic.  It's pathetic that our leaders are failing to muster up the political capital to address the threats of our day. School shootings is only one of the issues.

Seatbelts in cars have saved many lives.  But I'm sure it's also caused some deaths that otherwise wouldn't have happened without them.  

No they shouldn't. Should someone who owned a firearm and keeps it locked in a safe, be held blamed for the school shootings? 

No they shouldn't. Should someone who owned a firearm and keeps it locked in a safe, be held blamed for the school shootings? 
Depends on his other actions in promoting guns amongst the populace.

*in a vacuum, no he shouldn't. NRA member/supporter, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm to the point where the most reasonable solution seems to be major limitations on guns, but if those who want to protect guns have a BETTER IDEA, I'd be all for that.  The goal is to protect children here, not ban guns.  One is a means, the other is an end.  If we can achieve the end by different means, I'm all for it. 

Yet...nothing of consequence is being done.  Our politicians and leaders are letting us down, and the students are being forced to advocate for their own safety against our elected leaders.  That's where we are, and it's pathetic.  It's pathetic that our leaders are failing to muster up the political capital to address the threats of our day. School shootings is only one of the issues.
I'll post again:

1 - Raise the age to buy a gun or ammo to 21.

2 - Universal background checks. Any private gun sales are processed through a licensed gun dealer. 

3 - Magazine limits set at 6.

4 - Do not ban assault rifles. Instead limit the caliber of any new assault rifles to .22 caliber. This eliminates the killing ability, but doesn't ban the guns. 

I'm not big on the blaming gun owners thing.  It's legal, and if you're responsible, no issue in my opinion.

But if your vote is specifically tied to candidates who refuse to enact gun control legislation that could help save childrens lives...then perhaps there's a share of blame there.  Similarly with other issues of our day where there's a big threat, and a person can end up voting to ignore the threat.  They share some of the blame if that threat comes to fruition, or continues unabated.

Later,
This isn't true

Users who are viewing this thread