What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vacation Dilemma- turned into Branson thread (1 Viewer)

LOL I live about 2 miles from that place. It also has a really weird museum on one side of it. Was told it used to be a strip club until the owner was forced to close it. Reopened it as Uranus fudge factory. 
https://www.uranusgeneralstore.com

Louie Keen, owner of Uranus Fudge Factory and General Store in St. Robert, Missouri, announced he acquired Redneck Nutz of Springfield, Missouri, and is moving its operations there. Appropriately enough, both places have their roots on old Route 66.

flapgreen said:
LOL I live about 2 miles from that place. It also has a really weird museum on one side of it. Was told it used to be a strip club until the owner was forced to close it. Reopened it as Uranus fudge factory. 
Last time I was in Uranus was about 6-7 years ago.  I recall the fudge shop and the strip club co-existing at that time.  Maybe it was the strip club that became the museum?  Whatever...the best part of it was all the billboards we past along the highway..."Big fun in Uranus!"  "The best fudge comes from Uranus!"  Etc...  My kids were in 8th and 9th grade, so not only did they get the jokes, they kept repeating them relentlessly for hours as we made our way to Arkansas (and the return trip).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it. I work on the military base the next exit down. 
How are the winters down here? My guess is far enough down that you don't get much snow... maybe a dusting here and there? Pretty much anything looks better than Illinois (except St Louis) as a place to live. 

First day in the books (not counting the travel day)

We went to the resorts activity place and played games for a while then spent the rest of the day at the pool. We are staying at a time share place thingee our friends are signed up with (they regret that decision but make the best of it). Talked about it more and they said that this was the nearest destination that had openings for this week. The other options were all much further and the one thing we decided when talking about taking a trip together is we didn't want to fly or go crazy far distance driving. 

For dinner we went to this place... something hard luck diner... where the wait staff sing. I got a hamburger which was pretty good, my wife got a veggie burger which she had me take a bite of.... but when you just finished a big ole real burger it is hard for a veggie burger to compete. Portions are all huge. The dessert "small" size was huge. I didn't order anything for me but wnded up helping my kid with his. 

Interesting place. Very different from anywhere I have been. A small town tourist trap. Driving back the kids were all like "lets go there!" To a dozen things... so lots of the kiddos to do. 

The one thing that has struck me is how nice everyone is. On the travel day we went to a pool (they have several small pools and then two big ones but the indoor one is closed because it is too hot) and people kept trickling in. It was pretty packed but everyone was nice, respectful of others, engaging, friendly, helpful, etc. I been to a lot of "fancier" destinations and you get more of a "don't talk to me, I am on vacation" vibe where here it has more of a "we are all here to enjoy ourselves, might as well make new friends while we have fun and relax" vibe. 

We went to the resorts activity place and played games for a while then spent the rest of the day at the pool. We are staying at a time share place thingee our friends are signed up with (they regret that decision but make the best of it). Talked about it more and they said that this was the nearest destination that had openings for this week. The other options were all much further and the one thing we decided when talking about taking a trip together is we didn't want to fly or go crazy far distance driving. 

For dinner we went to this place... something hard luck diner... where the wait staff sing. I got a hamburger which was pretty good, my wife got a veggie burger which she had me take a bite of.... but when you just finished a big ole real burger it is hard for a veggie burger to compete. Portions are all huge. The dessert "small" size was huge. I didn't order anything for me but wnded up helping my kid with his. 

Interesting place. Very different from anywhere I have been. A small town tourist trap. Driving back the kids were all like "lets go there!" To a dozen things... so lots of the kiddos to do. 

The one thing that has struck me is how nice everyone is. On the travel day we went to a pool (they have several small pools and then two big ones but the indoor one is closed because it is too hot) and people kept trickling in. It was pretty packed but everyone was nice, respectful of others, engaging, friendly, helpful, etc. I been to a lot of "fancier" destinations and you get more of a "don't talk to me, I am on vacation" vibe where here it has more of a "we are all here to enjoy ourselves, might as well make new friends while we have fun and relax" vibe. 
Do take them to one of the alpine coasters. Those things are worth it, day or night. 

How are the winters down here? My guess is far enough down that you don't get much snow... maybe a dusting here and there? Pretty much anything looks better than Illinois (except St Louis) as a place to live. 
Well, I just moved out from Nashville last year so the winter is much worse here than back home.  We had a few smaller snows of a couple inches and one larger one around 8.  I hate it here, but I like living closer to the city. Walmart and some knockoff grocery store are the only places to go shopping, unless you want to drive 90 miles to Springfield. 

It definitely still has the southern vibe that I'm used to. People are friendly. 

Yesterday we went to look for a breakfast place... the one we picked was crazy packed and everything else did too. It was like 10 and we finally gave up and hit up a donut shop called Hurts. It had a long line that didn't move. The donuts were pretty good... basically fancy donuts with tons of extra butter and sugar etc. 

After that we went to the "Fun Spot" which has arcade, laser tag, go carts, vr ride, etc. Kids had fun. We did family vs family at laser tag and we won. Drove my littlest on go carts anf we lapped everyone at least once... most twice and one of our group three times (he loved that). 

Ate some lunch at out place and then went to the activities place at the resort and then snow cones at this place nearby and hung out played cornhole. 

Today we went to the Titanic Museum which was honestly much better than I had expected. And the kids even seemed interested. Being a history lover, I knew I would be interested but it was cool to see them. After that we hit up the shopping outlet. I had my first encounter with a not nice person. I was in a store and went to the back to go the bathroom. I thought I saw it and started towards but heard a not friendly "can I help you sir?!" I sheepishly said confused that I was going the bathroom and she with a lot of attitude told me that was a dressing room and the bathrooms were 4 doors down. I said ok, no and left. Apparently she had more comments to say about me (she didn't realize my wife was still in the store since we didn't walk in together). Whatever old hag, let's throw down!!! 

One note... for a vacation spot there is decidedly like no eye candy. There was one or two at the outlet mall but really lacking in visually appealing sites of the female sort around here. 

Yesterday we went to look for a breakfast place... the one we picked was crazy packed and everything else did too. It was like 10 and we finally gave up and hit up a donut shop called Hurts. It had a long line that didn't move. The donuts were pretty good... basically fancy donuts with tons of extra butter and sugar etc. 

After that we went to the "Fun Spot" which has arcade, laser tag, go carts, vr ride, etc. Kids had fun. We did family vs family at laser tag and we won. Drove my littlest on go carts anf we lapped everyone at least once... most twice and one of our group three times (he loved that). 

Ate some lunch at out place and then went to the activities place at the resort and then snow cones at this place nearby and hung out played cornhole. 

Today we went to the Titanic Museum which was honestly much better than I had expected. And the kids even seemed interested. Being a history lover, I knew I would be interested but it was cool to see them. After that we hit up the shopping outlet. I had my first encounter with a not nice person. I was in a store and went to the back to go the bathroom. I thought I saw it and started towards but heard a not friendly "can I help you sir?!" I sheepishly said confused that I was going the bathroom and she with a lot of attitude told me that was a dressing room and the bathrooms were 4 doors down. I said ok, no and left. Apparently she had more comments to say about me (she didn't realize my wife was still in the store since we didn't walk in together). Whatever old hag, let's throw down!!! 

One note... for a vacation spot there is decidedly like no eye candy. There was one or two at the outlet mall but really lacking in visually appealing sites of the female sort around here. 
The whole state is full of ugly fatties. No women to look at. 

Missouri would be a lot better place to live or vacation to if there were fun things to do and a lot of hot chicks around. 

Ok, so just caught this thread after the Branson title change.

If you drove down 65 hwy south of Springfield, you drove within a mile of my house. I was born in Branson and grew up in Ozark, where I live now.

For those that don't know, here is some quick geography, the Ozark Mountains (commonly called the Ozarks) is a hilly region ranging from central Missouri to Northern Arkansas. Lake of the Ozarks is where the Netflix show is based and is in the middle of Missouri. The town of Ozark, where I live, is a small town between Springfield and Branson in Southwest Missouri.

Thoughts on Branson:

• Table Rock Lake is a truly fantastic lake for boating/tubing/skiing, fishing or jet skis if you get the chance.
  • The high end golf courses are very nice. Top of the Rock is an incredible par 3 course with gorgeous gardens, scenic views and has a great restaurant. It is owned by Bass Pro and worth a visit even if you aren't into golf, but is a bit south of town.
  • I like Silver Dollar City's roller-coasters (they have 4 really good ones). My step-mom works there so we have season passes to SDC and their sister water park, White Water. SDC can suck when busy, though. The food there is great and the little kid areas are cool plus they have several wet rides for hot days. White Water is fun for an afternoon.
  • Mini golf and go-karts are a blast and there are some good ones, but the cost adds up quick.
  • I've always enjoyed going to Australian themed Outback Steak and Oyster Bar for dinner. Note it isnt connected to the chain restaurant. 
  • Everyone seems to like the fake snow hill slide thing and zip lines but I've never been to any of them.
  • The Branson Landing is a decent place to walk through and shop with some good restaurants, but more touristy type shops. They have a cool fountain/pyrotechnics show there.
  • The Tanger Outlet Mall is a good place to do some real clothes shopping.
  • Yes, there are almost no good looking women roaming around in Branson. Obesity is rampant and the primary tourists are middle class old people. The Springfield area is much better in that regard.
Branson is basically a Christian version of Las Vegas. The shows generally are subpar, the food is mostly comfort food, there is zero nightlife and no gambling. However, it is geared toward families, the people really are nice, it is relaxing and has some genuine country charm to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missouri would be a lot better place to live or vacation to if there were fun things to do and a lot of hot chicks around. 
If you are into outdoor activities like floating, hiking and fishing, it is a great state.

If you want urban living and culture, KC and STL are lower tier cities, but better than what half the other states have.

Like everywhere, hot women exist...they just don't grow on trees like in the Western states or coastal areas.

Ok, so just caught this thread after the Branson title change.

If you drove down 65 hwy south of Springfield, you drove within a mile of my house. I was born in Branson and grew up in Ozark, where I live now.

Branson is basically a Christian version of Las Vegas. The shows generally are subpar, the food is mostly comfort food, there is zero nightlife and no gambling. However, it is geared toward families, the people really are nice, it is relaxing and has some genuine country charm to it.

"Branson is like Vegas if it were run by Ned Flanders" is the quote you are looking for. 

We did some more stuff... kids enjoyed it a lot. Hanging with our friends was great. 

And on the way home... hit maybe a bolt or something... tire went flat quick and completely. 

Called a tow truck and then MDOT. I wasn't sure if our van had a spare so wanted a tow that could take the kids in the cab. 20-30 min wait. MDOT had nothing in the area so they connected us to state troopers who sent a unit which helped because cars/semi's did slow and pull to the other lane while they were there. 

On the way the tow truck got in an accident. Troopers came to help keep us be safe had to go respond to the accident. Scary having the family on the side of a busy highway like that, one semi came real close to us. The troopers said they called another tow for us. 

Finally, the tow truck pulls up and it ended up being the one that got in the accident and wasn't that bad for him and helped us Even though they killed the order. 

Got a spare on (I didn't have a jack) and we went up the road to a tire place. Originally they were going to plug it but we went to get the kids and come back and they showed me the inside where it was all ate up for driving on it when it went flat. 

Now waiting to get a new tire. 

4 hours added to a 8 hour drive... so far. 

Scary as hell being on the side if the road with precious cargo in it and nothing you can do. It was a small shoulder and on a blind curve from a hill and cut through ground. But we made it through. Just costing time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread