What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

vernon davis (1 Viewer)

mjd2

Footballguy
this is my 3rd year with vernondavis ive been very patient with what i thought was a potentially great player at tight end. sunday may have been the last straw. running downfield he was open for a big play, but he decide not to make the catch. he pulled up realizing he was about to get hit by free safety deon grant. i turned to my buddie and said what a piece of shi* he is. i now have owen daniels for the rest of the season with his bye week already taken care of week2. davis plays detriot week 3 if he doesnt perform he is gone from my team. any one else stuck with this guy in a dynasty league? :thumbup:

I think if your league gives points for OTs he should be very valuable because thats all he'll be doing in a martz system

I'm picking somebody, hell almost anybody at TE up this week to put in the lineup. Zero catches in a game where 33 points are scored? He'll ride the pine for this week...if he can't produce against Detroit, he's gone. Not worth the headache, upside or not. BJ/Bruce are apparently getting all the looks, which is surprising considering all the talk about their O-line issues. If JTO has time to find those guys consistently, it can't be THAT bad. (Though the sack amount is a bit ridiculous - just another indication VD isn't getting looks it would seem - shouldn't VD be a valve for that?)

you can accredite VDs lack of production to the type of extra-curriculars he routinely participates in:

"The Gold Mine"

Sponsored by Ciroc Vodka

"The Gold Mine" With Special guest San Francisco 49er Vernon Davis & friends

DRINK SPECIALS ALL NIGHT!! Bottle service specials on Ciroc Vodka and Imperia Vodka

EARLY ARRIVAL IS SUGGESTED!! FOR GUESTLIST SEND NAMES TO...BAYAREAGUESTLIST@GMAIL.COM!!

DRESS CODE IS STRICTLY ENFORCED....SEE YOU THERE!!!

you can accredite VDs lack of production to the type of extra-curriculars he routinely participates in:

"The Gold Mine"

Sponsored by Ciroc Vodka

DRINK SPECIALS ALL NIGHT!! Bottle service specials on Ciroc Vodka and Imperia Vodka

EARLY ARRIVAL IS SUGGESTED!! FOR GUESTLIST SEND NAMES TO...BAYAREAGUESTLIST@GMAIL.COM!!

:lmao: And what's you excuse? I'm guessing meth

"The Gold Mine"

Sponsored by Ciroc Vodka

:lmao: And what's you excuse? I'm guessing meth
don't hate because i was invited as a VIP and you weren't, sucka

I remember a couple of years ago when ppl were taking him as a top five pick in their rookie drafts I said to stay away from him because a guy with his size and speed should have been more dominate in college. PPL argued with me and projected his stats over the course of a 16 game season, etc but I never understood how a guy with all his talent, who was a physical mismatch for defenders and coming from a school with no other real receiving options couldn't put up wr numbers. Heck statisically he wasn't even the best te in the nation that year, mercedes lewis was.

this is my 3rd year with vernondavis ive been very patient with what i thought was a potentially great player at tight end. sunday may have been the last straw. running downfield he was open for a big play, but he decide not to make the catch. he pulled up realizing he was about to get hit by free safety deon grant. i turned to my buddie and said what a piece of shi* he is. i now have owen daniels for the rest of the season with his bye week already taken care of week2. davis plays detriot week 3 if he doesnt perform he is gone from my team. any one else stuck with this guy in a dynasty league? :angry:
too bad you didn't read all the threads in here pertaining to Martz' system(s) and how they N-E_V_E_R throw the ball to the TE's. Remember Johnnie Mitchell? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis.Remember Derrick Brown ( ND TE)? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis. :goodposting:

this is my 3rd year with vernondavis ive been very patient with what i thought was a potentially great player at tight end. sunday may have been the last straw. running downfield he was open for a big play, but he decide not to make the catch. he pulled up realizing he was about to get hit by free safety deon grant. i turned to my buddie and said what a piece of shi* he is. i now have owen daniels for the rest of the season with his bye week already taken care of week2. davis plays detriot week 3 if he doesnt perform he is gone from my team. any one else stuck with this guy in a dynasty league? :angry:
too bad you didn't read all the threads in here pertaining to Martz' system(s) and how they N-E_V_E_R throw the ball to the TE's. Remember Johnnie Mitchell? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis.Remember Derrick Brown ( ND TE)? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis. :unsure:
Right, and Andy Reid never made an offense around one guy...until he got TO.And Bill Belichick never threw deep so often ... until he got Moss.And Martz threw to the RB a lot more in STL where he had Faulk, but not in DET.TEN was a power rushing team until they got Chris Johnson.NO didn't have an 80 catch RB until they got Reggie Bush.Honestly? Good coaches model their game plan after good players. VD is one of those guys. Be patient.

Vernon Davis...you are the missing link...GOODBYE!

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a few more weeks (not on my roster of course), but I have to, at this point, call into question my on "Sharkhood" for ever drafting Vernon in the first place. :angry: Maybe I'm not a shark...maybe I'm just a sea urchin or something. I feel like a big chump. :bag: For blowing a pick on Vernon Davis...IMO...nobody should ever follow any advice I give on this site. :unsure:

From the 49ers website:

Q: Coach Nolan, many people consider Vernon Davis a threat to gameplan around. Why isn't Vernon Davis getting more plays drawn up for him? -Ivan Rivera

A: Each game takes on its own personality. I think some games it may look like Vernon is not a

threat with plays drawn up for him. Obviously we all go into battle with an objective in mind for what we want to do, but as the game wears on sometimes you have to pass a little more, run a little more, sometimes you have to protect a little bit more. It’s always in the plan to obviously spread the ball around to all the offensive players. A week ago Isaac did not have any receptions and then he gets 154 yards with all four receptions over 25 yards, including a 63-yard catch against Seattle. Vernon is unique from the standpoint that he is a good receiver and he’s also a very good blocker. He will get his opportunities this year.

From the 49ers website:

Q: Coach Nolan, many people consider Vernon Davis a threat to gameplan around. Why isn't Vernon Davis getting more plays drawn up for him? -Ivan Rivera

A: Each game takes on its own personality. I think some games it may look like Vernon is not a

threat with plays drawn up for him. Obviously we all go into battle with an objective in mind for what we want to do, but as the game wears on sometimes you have to pass a little more, run a little more, sometimes you have to protect a little bit more. It’s always in the plan to obviously spread the ball around to all the offensive players. A week ago Isaac did not have any receptions and then he gets 154 yards with all four receptions over 25 yards, including a 63-yard catch against Seattle. Vernon is unique from the standpoint that he is a good receiver and he’s also a very good blocker. He will get his opportunities this year.
yeah...but not on my team.

Davis got a deep ball early in last week's game and seemed to get alligator arms, or at least concentrate more on the incoming safety than the incoming football, and he didn't extend for the ball, seemingly for fear of the big hit. I don't know if he got one target after that, and I wonder if it had something to do with it.

Benched him after I picked up Carlson last week. Seriously, anybody off the wire at this point is a better play. The guy simply isn't a good professional football player.

this is my 3rd year with vernondavis ive been very patient with what i thought was a potentially great player at tight end. sunday may have been the last straw. running downfield he was open for a big play, but he decide not to make the catch. he pulled up realizing he was about to get hit by free safety deon grant. i turned to my buddie and said what a piece of shi* he is. i now have owen daniels for the rest of the season with his bye week already taken care of week2. davis plays detriot week 3 if he doesnt perform he is gone from my team. any one else stuck with this guy in a dynasty league? :lmao:
too bad you didn't read all the threads in here pertaining to Martz' system(s) and how they N-E_V_E_R throw the ball to the TE's. Remember Johnnie Mitchell? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis.Remember Derrick Brown ( ND TE)? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis. :thumbup:
Honestly? Good coaches model their game plan after good players. VD is one of those guys. Be patient.
Difference is, all of the guys you mentioned at least showed a little something right away. Davis is in year 3 and has demonstrated very little.

this is my 3rd year with vernondavis ive been very patient with what i thought was a potentially great player at tight end. sunday may have been the last straw. running downfield he was open for a big play, but he decide not to make the catch. he pulled up realizing he was about to get hit by free safety deon grant. i turned to my buddie and said what a piece of shi* he is. i now have owen daniels for the rest of the season with his bye week already taken care of week2. davis plays detriot week 3 if he doesnt perform he is gone from my team. any one else stuck with this guy in a dynasty league? :clap:
too bad you didn't read all the threads in here pertaining to Martz' system(s) and how they N-E_V_E_R throw the ball to the TE's. Remember Johnnie Mitchell? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis.Remember Derrick Brown ( ND TE)? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis. :headbang:
Honestly? Good coaches model their game plan after good players. VD is one of those guys. Be patient.
Difference is, all of the guys you mentioned at least showed a little something right away. Davis is in year 3 and has demonstrated very little.
Like Reggie Bush and Chris Johnson? :pickle:

this is my 3rd year with vernondavis ive been very patient with what i thought was a potentially great player at tight end. sunday may have been the last straw. running downfield he was open for a big play, but he decide not to make the catch. he pulled up realizing he was about to get hit by free safety deon grant. i turned to my buddie and said what a piece of shi* he is. i now have owen daniels for the rest of the season with his bye week already taken care of week2. davis plays detriot week 3 if he doesnt perform he is gone from my team. any one else stuck with this guy in a dynasty league? :bye:
too bad you didn't read all the threads in here pertaining to Martz' system(s) and how they N-E_V_E_R throw the ball to the TE's. Remember Johnnie Mitchell? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis.Remember Derrick Brown ( ND TE)? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis. :wolf:
Davis has demonstrated his rare size/strength/athleticism combo many times. He's also demonstrated his inconsistency. I don't want to throw him on the Ben Troupe/Ben Watson pile just yet, but sadly it's time to make other plans at TE for this year. We can't say Martz didn't warn us:
"Well, he will (get more involved). I think that the numbers for Vernon, in terms of receptions, may or may not be there this year. It may fluctuate during the season. But what we expect from Vernon are big plays. He's a very, very substantial blocker, which really allows us to a lot of good things in the running game. There's no question about that. But, when we get him the ball we'd like to get him the ball down the field or get him the ball in the shallow routes and let him take off with it, so to speak. Sometimes the defenses will dictate how much you get the ball to him. He's done a very good job out here in practice and we haven't done a whole lot with him in the preseason games but we certainly practice him a lot."

Last edited by a moderator:
Davis got a deep ball early in last week's game and seemed to get alligator arms, or at least concentrate more on the incoming safety than the incoming football, and he didn't extend for the ball, seemingly for fear of the big hit. I don't know if he got one target after that, and I wonder if it had something to do with it.
This was a complaint from some MD fans when Davis was in college, too, so seeing it now is nothing new.

Benched him after I picked up Carlson last week. Seriously, anybody off the wire at this point is a better play. The guy simply isn't a good professional football player.
If this statement were true, he would be out of the league already. Don't mix fantasy with reality. The guy is a realy good young NFL TE, but as a fanatsy TE he's bad because of opportunity not talent.

If this statement were true, he would be out of the league already. Don't mix fantasy with reality. The guy is a realy good young NFL TE, but as a fanatsy TE he's bad because of opportunity not talent.
Completely disagree. There are plenty of pro players who are simply not very good. Davis is one of them. You can have all the 'talent' in the world, it doesn't make you a good player. As for saying "He would be out of the league already"? That's absurd. The guy was the 6th player taken overall, what, three years ago? Teams don't cut those kind of investments until they have given them a thousand chances. Much like Alex Smith, Davis' contract will run its course, he will leave San Fran, some other team will be enamored with his 'talent' and will give him a chance. But he will never make any difference on any NFL offense. Ever.

Completely disagree. There are plenty of pro players who are simply not very good. Davis is one of them. You can have all the 'talent' in the world, it doesn't make you a good player. As for saying "He would be out of the league already"? That's absurd. The guy was the 6th player taken overall, what, three years ago? Teams don't cut those kind of investments until they have given them a thousand chances. Much like Alex Smith, Davis' contract will run its course, he will leave San Fran, some other team will be enamored with his 'talent' and will give him a chance. But he will never make any difference on any NFL offense. Ever.
Good football player from what standpoint? That he's not helping your fantasy team? The coaches have praised what he's done on the field and have said numerous times that he's a very important blocker and one of the best in the game at his position. The Martz offense doesn't feature the TE very strongly. What do you have against Vernon that you're so adamant about him being a bust and never being productive in the NFL ever?

LILB811 said:
Aaronstory said:
Baron Samedi said:
Aaronstory said:
Good football player from what standpoint? That he's not helping your fantasy team? The coaches have praised what he's done on the field and have said numerous times that he's a very important blocker and one of the best in the game at his position. The Martz offense doesn't feature the TE very strongly. What do you have against Vernon that you're so adamant about him being a bust and never being productive in the NFL ever?
Watching him play the game.Good night! Thank you!

Aaronstory said:
Baron Samedi said:
Aaronstory said:
Anybody know offhand how many years he has left in his contract with SF? I am wondering if (in dyansty formats) he could have value down the road with another team/contract/situation.

this is my 3rd year with vernondavis ive been very patient with what i thought was a potentially great player at tight end. sunday may have been the last straw. running downfield he was open for a big play, but he decide not to make the catch. he pulled up realizing he was about to get hit by free safety deon grant. i turned to my buddie and said what a piece of shi* he is. i now have owen daniels for the rest of the season with his bye week already taken care of week2. davis plays detriot week 3 if he doesnt perform he is gone from my team. any one else stuck with this guy in a dynasty league? :banned:
too bad you didn't read all the threads in here pertaining to Martz' system(s) and how they N-E_V_E_R throw the ball to the TE's. Remember Johnnie Mitchell? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis.Remember Derrick Brown ( ND TE)? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis. :lmao:
Like Reggie Bush and Chris Johnson? :thumbup:
What am I missing? Reggie Bush is a known commodity right now. He's made many, many more plays than Vernon Davis. We know what he brings. And Chris Johnson has had more of an impact in two games with Tennesse than Davis in SF during the last three years.Fact is, players make plays. I have yet to see Vernon Davis out there making a lot of plays. I'll come back and admit it if I'm wrong, but I just don't think he's every going to take that next step.

You know, maybe I shouldn't be saying this on a fantasy football site and all (hope David and Joe don't get pissed at me), but fantasy football in a way is going to ruin people's perceptions about what make a player good or bad.

There are people here talking about how Vernon Davis isn't any good, when in reality he simply isn't catching passes. But as far as what he's being asked to do, by all accounts he is doing it. And doing it very well, I might add.

Lorenzo Neal didn't put up big stats either. Was he not one of the best fullbacks ever to play the game? The fact is, Davis plays a sometimes thankless position. Did I think he'd put up better receiving stats this year? Of course I did. But I'm also not going to be blinded by the lack of statistical production to go so far as to call him a "bust" or a bad player.

too bad you didn't read all the threads in here pertaining to Martz' system(s) and how they N-E_V_E_R throw the ball to the TE's. Remember Johnnie Mitchell? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis.Remember Derrick Brown ( ND TE)? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis. :thumbup:
Like Reggie Bush and Chris Johnson? :thumbup:
What am I missing? Reggie Bush is a known commodity right now. He's made many, many more plays than Vernon Davis. We know what he brings. And Chris Johnson has had more of an impact in two games with Tennesse than Davis in SF during the last three years.Fact is, players make plays. I have yet to see Vernon Davis out there making a lot of plays. I'll come back and admit it if I'm wrong, but I just don't think he's every going to take that next step.
I guess my point was that the offenses were tailored to those players before we saw what they had. If you watch VD, he's talented. He was talented in college as well. I can't really point to a problem, but I'd say the 49ers offense has a lot to do with it. Saying VD won't get thrown to because Martz doesn't throw to TEs is foolish. Good coaches have and will continue to change their offense around the players they have. VD had proven more before Martz than Reggie Bush before the NFL. That didn't stop a coach from tailoring an offense around Bush. But who knows, maybe VD isn't as good as what we thought. IMO, from what I've seen, this is probably not true. That said, blame VDs shortcomings on his lack of talent though, not on the coaches not liking TEs. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I was going to say the same thing, here's a frame by famre of that play:

Alligator Arms Davis

The point is, he isn't going to have many opportunities because his qb is getting killed. They have to keep him in to block most of the time.

:rolleyes: I was going to say the same thing, here's a frame by famre of that play:

Alligator Arms Davis
Wow, that was bad, he just completely pulled up.

Alligator Arms Davis
Looks more like Veronica Davis.

You know, maybe I shouldn't be saying this on a fantasy football site and all (hope David and Joe don't get pissed at me), but fantasy football in a way is going to ruin people's perceptions about what make a player good or bad.There are people here talking about how Vernon Davis isn't any good, when in reality he simply isn't catching passes. But as far as what he's being asked to do, by all accounts he is doing it. And doing it very well, I might add.Lorenzo Neal didn't put up big stats either. Was he not one of the best fullbacks ever to play the game? The fact is, Davis plays a sometimes thankless position. Did I think he'd put up better receiving stats this year? Of course I did. But I'm also not going to be blinded by the lack of statistical production to go so far as to call him a "bust" or a bad player.
Nowhere above, not once, did I say a word about his stats. I could care less about his fantasy production. He can block? Great - if he was an offensive tackle, he might have a long and storied career. As for "doing what he is asked to do" - I am pretty sure he was asked to catch the pass where he went all alligator arms. Someone else above said it, and it echos what a lot of scouts said about him coming out of college:Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane.That phrase was invented for guys like Davis.

:headbang: I was going to say the same thing, here's a frame by famre of that play:

Alligator Arms Davis
Wow, that was bad, he just completely pulled up.
Yep. One frame "arm's out"; next frame "hands in pocket".......and you could tell it was right when he saw the safety; just like Bloom mentioned.

:unsure: I was going to say the same thing, here's a frame by famre of that play:

Alligator Arms Davis
What a freaking little bi**h. Are he and Vince Young cousins or something?

this is my 3rd year with vernondavis ive been very patient with what i thought was a potentially great player at tight end. sunday may have been the last straw. running downfield he was open for a big play, but he decide not to make the catch. he pulled up realizing he was about to get hit by free safety deon grant. i turned to my buddie and said what a piece of shi* he is. i now have owen daniels for the rest of the season with his bye week already taken care of week2. davis plays detriot week 3 if he doesnt perform he is gone from my team. any one else stuck with this guy in a dynasty league? :thumbdown:
too bad you didn't read all the threads in here pertaining to Martz' system(s) and how they N-E_V_E_R throw the ball to the TE's. Remember Johnnie Mitchell? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis.

Remember Derrick Brown ( ND TE)? he's back,his name is Vernon Davis.

:lol:
Right, and Andy Reid never made an offense around one guy...until he got TO.And Bill Belichick never threw deep so often ... until he got Moss.

And Martz threw to the RB a lot more in STL where he had Faulk, but not in DET.

TEN was a power rushing team until they got Chris Johnson.

NO didn't have an 80 catch RB until they got Reggie Bush.

lol. vernon is the definition of a combine all star that cant play football. he is not a great player now, and im not sure he will ever be at this point. and thats the problem from a fantasy perspective. he was going quite high in drafts, from the 6th to the 10th round. he is obv not worth as hes no better than a waiver wire pickup. sure, he will proly be a servicable pro for a long time, but i just dont see him dominating fantasy as much as his draft spot would require.

Users who are viewing this thread