What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Versatile Randle El prime target for Bears (1 Viewer)

Spiderman

Footballguy
Versatile Randle El prime target for BearsThe Bears will not be big players in free agency, but that doesn't mean they won't play."We have 'wants,'" pro personnel director Bobby DePaul said Wednesday. "We don't have super 'needs.' That's a good place to be in."Talk around this year's Senior Bowl practice week is that the Bears' first priority will be Pittsburgh wide receiver and premier returner Antwaan Randle El when free agency begins in March. Randle El, from Thornton High School in Harvey by way of Indiana University, has averaged 40 catches for 12.4 yards and 42 punt returns for 9.5 yards during his four seasons with the Steelers.Randle El also would give the Bears a third-string quarterback on game days without using the active roster spot. His play in the Steelers' playoff run will drive up the price, but the Bears are in excellent salary-cap shape and have not shied from making decisive, big-money moves the last three off-seasons.The Bears also want another speed receiver to fortify a position that has Bernard Berrian and Mark Bradley, both of whom missed time with injuries in 2005.Informal predictions for the Bears' first draft choice, the 25th pick, are divided evenly between tight end, cornerback and safety, followed by linebacker. Desmond Clark became the seventh Bear named to the Pro Bowl on Wednesday, but the impact of tight ends Heath Miller of Pittsburgh and Jerramy Stevens of Seattle in the postseason have highlighted the role of the position in a top offense.Cornerback has become an increased need with seven-year veteran Jerry Azumah not expected back because of an arthritic hip that hampered him this season.The knee injury of fast-rising safety Brandon McGowan, coupled with Mike Brown finishing his second straight season on the bench with an injury, is forcing the Bears to take a serious look at the future at that position too."A late-season injury affects the next season," DePaul said. "[McGowan] is going to miss all of the off-season, and where is he going to be in training camp? Those injuries are tough."As they fill spots on the depth chart, the Bears are being guided by a refined philosophy of competition for starting jobs that took root last season and is expected to reach to every position, including quarterback.The situation of cornerback Nathan Vasher, going to the Pro Bowl, is the role model. When Azumah went down in training camp, Vasher took the job and secured it with his play."When he went in," DePaul said, "he wasn't coming out."Quarterback Rex Grossman may be the starter, but "we're going to have competition at the quarterback position," DePaul said."If you know Kyle Orton, he's going to do everything he can to put himself in position to win that job. You have to believe that. Even though it is stacked the way it is, you have to believe the competitiveness of Orton is going to be there."The next time this guy goes in, in his mind, he ain't coming out. Every player knows the pecking order, but he knows he's one play away, and in his mind, he's competing."

I still cant believe Desmond Clark is a Pro Bowler.Cooley, Witten, Crumpler, Stevens, LJ Smith, Shockey......Clark?

I just wonder if there is enough creativity on the Bears offensive staff to use Randle El effectively. I cant see him being worth the contract he'll demand if hes a slot reciever and kick returner.

I'm a Steelers' fan, and I have yet to hear ANY news regarding Randle-El. Is it all just speculation at this point because he hasn't been resigned? Has anything been said by the team or El to indicate that they won't try to get something done? I like him, and so do a lot of players. He's got the same kind of football-enjoyment that Hines and Bettis have. He's finally cracked the starting lineup and I don't see why the Steelers would let him get away too easily.

I think the Steelers try to keep him but they won't match what other teams will offer.Randel El is a decent #3 receiver but has underperformed as a #2. I think with the improved play of Cedrick Wilson, the Steelers let Randel El go and take a WR early in the draft.

I think the Steelers try to keep him but they won't match what other teams will offer.Randel El is a decent #3 receiver but has underperformed as a #2. I think with the improved play of Cedrick Wilson, the Steelers let Randel El go and take a WR early in the draft.
I agree. Sure, it would be nice to have him, but if other teams are going to offer him #1 WR money, the Steelers won't match. I can see them paying him #2 money though. Even with Wilson stepping up, we could pay ARE #2 money because you don't have to pay a PR or a #3 QB. It will just depend on what other teams offer.

I'm a Steelers' fan, and I have yet to hear ANY news regarding Randle-El. Is it all just speculation at this point because he hasn't been resigned? Has anything been said by the team or El to indicate that they won't try to get something done? I like him, and so do a lot of players. He's got the same kind of football-enjoyment that Hines and Bettis have. He's finally cracked the starting lineup and I don't see why the Steelers would let him get away too easily.
I haven't heard any official news either, but I think between how well Q Morgan was returning KOs and as Nate Washington progresses -- I think ARE on the market is going to command more than Pgh wants to pay. Just a hunch.

I agree. Sure, it would be nice to have him, but if other teams are going to offer him #1 WR money, the Steelers won't match. I can see them paying him #2 money though. Even with Wilson stepping up, we could pay ARE #2 money because you don't have to pay a PR or a #3 QB. It will just depend on what other teams offer.
I doubt he is offered #1 $. That's what I'm thinking anyways. I'm sure the Steelers understand his value, and w/ Wilson they could still field a decent starting tandem if Ward or El were to go down. Rookie looked pretty good in pre-season and last game, but until they find a sure up-and-comer I would think keeping a WR of Els caliber would be a priority, especially since he would be the 2nd best QB on the team... O.K., Batch didn't do terrible, but he's had a luxury box in the trainers' room for years.I'm guessing if El goes, Cowher believes Washington is the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a ARE fan :thumbdown: I don't want him in Chicago. Moose and Bradley are good enough there, while ARE adds a lot to the team, there are better fits for him.Just a few better fits:Cleveland HoustonTennesseeSan FranPhilly - maybe, but not for big $

I doubt he is offered #1 $. That's what I'm thinking anyways. I'm sure the Steelers understand his value, and w/ Wilson they could still field a decent starting tandem if Ward or El were to go down. Rookie looked pretty good in pre-season and last game, but until they find a sure up-and-comer I would think keeping a WR of Els caliber would be a priority, especially since he would be the 2nd best QB on the team... O.K., Batch didn't do terrible, but he's had a luxury box in the trainers' room for years.I'm guessing if El goes, Cowher believes Washington is the real deal.
S Chris Hope and RB Verron Haynes are higher priorities for the Steelers than ARE.

As a ARE fan :thumbdown: I don't want him in Chicago. Moose and Bradley are good enough there, while ARE adds a lot to the team, there are better fits for him.

Just a few better fits:

Cleveland Houston Tennessee

San Fran Philly - maybe, but not for big $
Cleveland-Littered w/ WRs of his caliber anywaysHouston-Nice, especially w/ a dash of Bush

Tennessee-A couple good-looking, young WR there, but a good +

San Fran-They just dumped C.Wilson... ?

Philly - maybe, but not for big $-They're set w/ Brown+Lewis+Pinkston back from injury.

Cleveland-Littered w/ WRs of his caliber anyways

Houston-Nice, especially w/ a dash of Bush

Philly - maybe, but not for big $-They're set w/ Brown+Lewis+Pinkston back from injury.
Cleveland-I should have specified, if Bryant leaves. Basically I like the coach's ability to use him here.Philly - Set with Pinkston? :X But, it's a moot point, they won't spend the $.

As a ARE fan :thumbdown: I don't want him in Chicago. Moose and Bradley are good enough there, while ARE adds a lot to the team, there are better fits for him.

Just a few better fits:

Cleveland-Littered w/ WRs of his caliber anywaysHouston-Nice, especially w/ a dash of Bush

C.Wilson played for the Steelers last year.

I still cant believe Desmond Clark is a Pro Bowler.

Cooley, Witten, Crumpler, Stevens, LJ Smith, Shockey......Clark?
:goodposting:
From what I heard on Chicago TV yesterday, he is going to the Pro Bowl as a "need" position, not as an alternate. They didn't specify what this means exactly, but I understood that the coach has a spot or two oen on his roster that he can take at any position and whoever he wants? Maybe he neded a blocking TE. Is Clark definitely better than any of these in blocking?

Wow, musta missed Clark getting named. Can't wait til we get a new TE this offseason. I don't mind Clark as a backup, but the experiment at starter went on a season too long.As long as it's not a huge contract, I think Randle would be a nice #3 WR/special teams signing.

Lets hope that either the Steelers keep him for a reasonsable amount or that some team idioticlly over pays to have him..either would make me happy..Do they think he is gonna become Steve Smith? i don't think so.

As long as it's not a huge contract, I think Randle would be a nice #3 WR/special teams signing.
I'd think for any one else to land him, it would need to be. If he's accepting reasonable money, PIT should make him that offer, I'd think.

I agree, I think someone will pay extra $$ for his versatility.
A scenario of a team thinking they're close and thinking ARE's flexibilty is a missing piece could occur (as stated the Bears fit this category). Add in the fact that the WR free agency class is pretty lean and someone like EL could definetly get overpaid. He's a guy I have a real difficult time putting a dollar value on. As for the Steelers it makes sense not to give big money to him. Especially with one WR (Ward) already making good money. Yet, he would also be a tough loss since his verstatlity is a definite weapon and has to be accounted for by their opponents. Especially with the gadget/trick plays they run. Also, Morgan and Wilson are not #2 level WRs so there would be a void that they would have to address.

Also, Morgan and Wilson are not #2 level WRs so there would be a void that they would have to address.
I think Wilson as much of a #2 as ARE is - that might mean neither is a true #2, but the main point is that Wilson can probably run ARE's routes and we wouldnt miss a beat.To go off on a tangent - i could see the steelers going for a big WR in 2nd - martin nance if ben wants to reunite with him (ben-to-nance was a monster combo at miami ohio in 03) or maurice stovall.

Also, Morgan and Wilson are not #2 level WRs so there would be a void that they would have to address.
I think Wilson as much of a #2 as ARE is - that might mean neither is a true #2, but the main point is that Wilson can probably run ARE's routes and we wouldnt miss a beat.To go off on a tangent - i could see the steelers going for a big WR in 2nd - martin nance if ben wants to reunite with him (ben-to-nance was a monster combo at miami ohio in 03) or maurice stovall.
We'll have to disagree here. I think Wilson gets swallowed up as a #2. He's just not at that level. As for EL I see what you're saying to a point but he does have that huge big play ability that other teams have to respect. He is a definite factor and allows the Steelers to show varying looks on offense that puts pressure on opposing defenses. Wilson's a #2 guy that other teams really won't have to worry about. He is what he is...a competent NFL WR.

We'll have to disagree here. I think Wilson gets swallowed up as a #2. He's just not at that level. As for EL I see what you're saying to a point but he does have that huge big play ability that other teams have to respect. He is a definite factor and allows the Steelers to show varying looks on offense that puts pressure on opposing defenses. Wilson's a #2 guy that other teams really won't have to worry about. He is what he is...a competent NFL WR.
can you elaborate a little on what you think separates wilson and ARE as receivers?

Just a few better fits:

No, he didn't.

can you elaborate a little on what you think separates wilson and ARE as receivers?
The Steelers run some pretty funky plays. ARE's verstality is a key component. An example being the Wilson TD against Cincy. Because of ARE's verstality Cincy had to be overly concerned with him when they came out in that formation. All eyes were on him. Due to that Cincy became totally confused which left Wilson with no one within about 2 miles of him for a TD in a big playoff game. ARE is a former Big 10 QB with dynamic running skills that allow the Steelers a lot more flexibilty when throwing ou their different looks. ARE can line up wide, in the slot, at RB or even under center. Due to this opposing defenses always have to account for where he is...and what he is going to do. Add in the fact that Ward can also do this and Pittsburgh has a lot more options than most teams.Wilson presents none of these matchup problems.

The Steelers run some pretty funky plays. ARE's verstality is a key component. An example being the Wilson TD against Cincy. Because of ARE's verstality Cincy had to be overly concerned with him when they came out in that formation. All eyes were on him. Due to that Cincy became totally confused which left Wilson with no one within about 2 miles of him for a TD in a big playoff game. ARE is a former Big 10 QB with dynamic running skills that allow the Steelers a lot more flexibilty when throwing ou their different looks. ARE can line up wide, in the slot, at RB or even under center. Due to this opposing defenses always have to account for where he is...and what he is going to do. Add in the fact that Ward can also do this and Pittsburgh has a lot more options than most teams.Wilson presents none of these matchup problems.
I think you're right on there - Wilson does not have ARE's after the catch skills or his versatility. What I was getting at is that from a routes, hands, speed standpoint, i think Wilson and ARE are basically equal. I think Wilson can take over ARE's more traditional role in the passing offense with no problems, but he certainly cant run the gadget plays or lineup in the backfield like ARE. good call.

I think you're right on there - Wilson does not have ARE's after the catch skills or his versatility. What I was getting at is that from a routes, hands, speed standpoint, i think Wilson and ARE are basically equal. I think Wilson can take over ARE's more traditional role in the passing offense with no problems, but he certainly cant run the gadget plays or lineup in the backfield like ARE. good call.
ARE's a very different player and to the Steelers credit they are able to maximize his talents to the fullest.

ARE's a very different player and to the Steelers credit they are able to maximize his talents to the fullest.
Don't discount YAC. 2005: Wilson - 62 YAC on 26 receptions, less than 3 YAC per reception

2005: ARE - 201 YAC on 35 receptions, almost 6 YAC per reception

Wilson will never be the playmaker Randle El can be.

ARE stats 20053 pass completions for 67 yds and 1 TD12 rushing attempts for 73 yds and 0 TDif you've noticed, especially during the playoffs, Wilson has supplanted ARE as the #2 WR. there were several times where ARE wasn't even on the field with the 2 wr set.Wilson in the playoffs 8 catches 196 yds 2 TDs with a long of 54 !!! (24yd average)ARE in the playoffs 9 catches for 97 yds 1 TD with a long of 20 (10.8 yd average)the writing is on the wall.ARE will not be back in Pitt b/c he will not be paid #2 and someone will ... probably the Bears are as good of a guess as anyone since there's a need and a track record of paying the big $$ (Muhammed).-orphan

ARE stats 2005

3 pass completions for 67 yds and 1 TD

12 rushing attempts for 73 yds and 0 TD

if you've noticed, especially during the playoffs, Wilson has supplanted ARE as the #2 WR. there were several times where ARE wasn't even on the field with the 2 wr set.

Wilson in the playoffs 8 catches 196 yds 2 TDs with a long of 54 !!! (24yd average)

ARE in the playoffs 9 catches for 97 yds 1 TD with a long of 20 (10.8 yd average)

the writing is on the wall.

ARE will not be back in Pitt b/c he will not be paid #2 and someone will ... probably the Bears are as good of a guess as anyone since there's a need and a track record of paying the big $$ (Muhammed).

-orphan
FWIW, I started to agree with this during the Broncos game. The writing is on the wall, I just think it's a mistake to put Wilson as the #2. Maybe they'll draft someone, or sign a less expensive option?

Don't discount YAC. 2005: Wilson - 62 YAC on 26 receptions, less than 3 YAC per reception

2005: ARE - 201 YAC on 35 receptions, almost 6 YAC per reception

Wilson will never be the playmaker Randle El can be.
This is a little misleading, though. Wilson is often the deep guy and is coming back on long balls thrown by Roethlisberger, so he often makes the catch and is dropped. Randle-El gets a lot of opportunities on screen passes that Wilson doesn't get, which is all YAC.I agree that Randle-El is a better playmeker - I'm not disputing that - but these YAC #s aren't as cut and dry as they seem. El is a great #3 receiver, if they can get him at that price, they will. Anyone who pays more than that is overpaying, IMO. His hands, his size, and his route running don't stand out. He's very quick and elusive, and is a good punt returner, but that's about it. He doesn't even have great top-end speed.

ARE stats 2005

3 pass completions for 67 yds and 1 TD

12 rushing attempts for 73 yds and 0 TD

if you've noticed, especially during the playoffs, Wilson has supplanted ARE as the #2 WR.  there were several times where ARE wasn't even on the field with the 2 wr set.

Wilson in the playoffs 8 catches 196 yds 2 TDs with a long of 54 !!! (24yd average)

ARE in the playoffs 9 catches for 97 yds 1 TD with a long of 20 (10.8 yd average)

the writing is on the wall.

ARE will not be back in Pitt b/c he will not be paid #2 and someone will ... probably the Bears are as good of a guess as anyone since there's a need and a track record of paying the big $$ (Muhammed).

-orphan
FWIW, I started to agree with this during the Broncos game. The writing is on the wall, I just think it's a mistake to put Wilson as the #2. Maybe they'll draft someone, or sign a less expensive option?
I agree with bloom 100%, I think they draft Nance or Stovall to compete with Washington for the spot opposite Ward and play Cedrick in the slot.

He will be a niner before the draft starts.....
Don't the 9ers have like... 5 more years of salary-cap hell? #1 overall pick last year didn't help that situation any.
Wrong again Cookie Monster. They are about 15-20mil under the Cap. Enough room to grab reggie wayne and randle El.

Don't the 9ers have like... 5 more years of salary-cap hell? #1 overall pick last year didn't help that situation any.
Wrong again Cookie Monster. They are about 15-20mil under the Cap. Enough room to grab reggie wayne and randle El.
Another team that you know has alot of cap room and enough need to sign Randle El is San Diego. Chargers are also looking for a punt returner about RB Sproles didn't really work out (bad hands, can't catch).

Just a few better fits:

No, he didn't.
I may not have worded it properly, but Cedrick Wilson started playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2005 season. I was responding to the "49'ers just dumped C.Wilson" comment.

Sorry, I don't understand what the 1st thing I was wrong about was. Just last offseason S.F. let go of Wilson. Pitt got him. Now one season later, you think S.F. will pick up a WR with nearly the same WR skills and size, but in a lean WR year in terms of FA and draft which will drive up the $? Oooookay! I'm a Pitt fan that lives in N.Cali. I know who C.Wilson is. In fact, I had him last year ('04 season to clarify) and he served me well for several weeks thanks to injuries. And the last I heard, S.F. was still paying for J.Garcia and T.O. among others this year (again, '05 season). Maybe that did all clear up, I just don't care enough for the 9ers to follow their exact projected cap space for next year, especially since reported/actual don't always add up anyways. I was just saying the move didn't make sense. If you want to bash me, attack the Raiders. I'll agree w/ you that they sucked this year.Edited to add... they have more pressing needs than WR. Don't count on Wayne, let alone El.

Randle El is simply a good punt/kick returner. He's overrated.
Yes and no. His arm does add some value and does his KR skills. As a WR, I agree that he is a #2.5. Better than most #3s, worse than most #2s. Combined in the passing game w/ a true #1 and another #2.5 like C.Wilson/Q.Morgan (Nate Washington maybe) can make for a very tough to cover passing game though. I just don't see him being strong enough to play on the L.O.S. and fight off jams or to be much of a help in the running game.

Antwayn Randel El is really exactly what the Bears need to close the gap. If they can get an explosvie playmaker like that, who can play many different positions, they might have a better shot next year. Also, it was announced that if he were to go to the Bears, he would be their 3rd string QB in regular games. SO IF REX GROSSMAN AND KYLE ORTON BOTH GET HURT IN THE SAME GAME, WE WILL FINALLY GET TO SEE THE TALENT OF RANDEL EL AT QB.

Randle El is simply a good punt/kick returner. He's overrated.
:shrug: time will tell. I'm starting to hope he does leave Pittsburgh so we can all see if he's better than this.If anyone is following, my opinion on ARE is well known. While I admit he isn't a go-to WR, he provides a lot more to the offense than a normal slot WR like Stokely or Chrebet ever did.

Another team occurred to me, although it may be unrealistic - Washington. Saunders can utilize him, and they seem to need a return guy.

Users who are viewing this thread