What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick already named week 9 starter.... (1 Viewer)

Great news, as is the coach saying DeSean should be back week 9, just hope he passes the concussion test in the next 10 days.
I have Vick and Kolb on my roster, so I have no particular bias here. DJ is a bigger part of Vick's and Kolb's success than most people seem to mention. Without DJ, Kolb didn't have that offense's biggest catalyst against a better than average defense.

Overall, this whole situation reeks of uncertainty and impulsiveness on Reid's part. It's not good leadership and it certainly can't be going unnoticed by the team right now.
huh? he flip flopped one time. Andy Reid is well respected by the eagles FO...what are youtalking about here?
Was wondering the same thing....

As a Redskins fan I've seen how Reid operates over the years. Anyone who doesn't think Kolb would be starting week 9 if he had a good game, and Eagles had won on the road at Tennessee, is kidding themselves.

And really, you don't have to know anything about Reid or the Eagles to understand that the starting qb situation in Philly is far from definitive for the rest of this season. Think about it. Vick participated fully in practice last Thursday with no setbacks. Any clear cut starting qb in the nfl who practices fully on Thursday (after missing the previous 2 games with an injury) is going to be the starting qb for the game on Sunday, period.

Michael Vick gives the eagles a better chance to win.
This line is used by all fantasy owners of Vick. It takes the focus off selfish reasons for wanting Vick to start and points to helping the Eagles. Malarky. The Eagles offense is run pretty smoothly by Kolb. He is ready to take the reigns and has the numbers to prove it.

This line is used by all fantasy owners of Vick. It takes the focus off selfish reasons for wanting Vick to start and points to helping the Eagles. Malarky. The Eagles offense is run pretty smoothly by Kolb. He is ready to take the reigns and has the numbers to prove it.
thanks freud. how about this: i own Vick and want him to start because he is on my fantasy team.He is better than Kolb and everyone on earth knows this except kolb owners. that was a nuice stinker of a game by kolb yesterday. the proof is there......he is a low end starting QB in the NFL. Deal with it.

thanks freud. how about this: i own Vick and want him to start because he is on my fantasy team.He is better than Kolb and everyone on earth knows this except kolb owners. that was a nuice stinker of a game by kolb yesterday. the proof is there......he is a low end starting QB in the NFL. Deal with it.
Lets not be hasty now. Kolb has more 300 yard passing games in his 6 starts than Vick has in his whole career. We don't know how Kolb will turn it. Too early to know. The book is out on vick. He is what he is. A decent QB that adds value by being mobile. He's never going to complete 65% or throw for 4000 yds in a season. I think Kolb will one day. Vick is better by a slight margin at this exact moment. 3 weeks from now, who knows.

Lets not be hasty now. Kolb has more 300 yard passing games in his 6 starts than Vick has in his whole career. We don't know how Kolb will turn it. Too early to know. The book is out on vick. He is what he is. A decent QB that adds value by being mobile. He's never going to complete 65% or throw for 4000 yds in a season. I think Kolb will one day. Vick is better by a slight margin at this exact moment. 3 weeks from now, who knows.
Vick is a Three time pro bowler.

I own both and I think Vick gives them a better chance to win. Especially without Djax out there. He can buy time with his feet to make a play, minimizes turnovers, and can help McCoy be more effective like he did for Warrick Dunn, and what VY did for CJ2K. Arm is about the same as Kolb.

Vick is a Three time pro bowler.
Kolb hasnt played a full season. Plus David Garard made the pro bowl. How much stock do you put in that?

Anyone who watched yesterday's game knows Kolb isn't the answer. At least not compared to Vick. Kolb underthrew way too many WRs Sunday and got picked a few times. He could have easily had a couple of more INTs.

Gonna have to disagree with the above as there are a lot of people are very curious how the years off and tutelage under McNabb has changed Vick as an NFL QB. Anyone that watched Vick extensively during the Falcon years would have to be blind to say that he hasn't improved as a passer... And that "he played weak defenses argument" can easily be applied to Kolb, seeing as how SF and ATL got lit up by the likes of Matt Moore and Carson Palmer respectively...Kolb's to me is "just a guy". He executes the designed plays well (Is it just me or were half of his passes screens or dumps to mccoy?) But I rarely see him make something out of nothing. That's what Vick brings to the table, and seeing as how Vick has proven to be just as capable a passer, how can anybody say that Vick DOESN'T give them a better chance to win?

How can anybody say that Vick DOESN'T give them a better chance to win?
It is not like Kolb has the feet of Damon Huard. He is plenty mobile himself. And lets not forget how Vick got hurt in the first place. There is a reason why Peyton Manning does not take off running. They should both be starting qb's in the NFL, just not Vick for the Eagles.

Wow! A lot of man crush for Vick here.. I think the fact AR didn't give a direct answer and dodged the question to whom as the rest of season starter going forward before Titan's game should be ample clue he is waiting for the result of sundays game and hope to use the "riding the hot hand" excuse with Kolb (his man crush). Except Kobe choked with 3 turn overs, one at the goal line (thank god, Vick owner here). One huge gave away was the "reason" Vick was not starting because he is not 100%, YET Andy answered rightaway after the game Vick would be the starter in week 9, How is "Dr" AndyR so sure? unless he already knew Vick was already 100%( he could of started) before the game. think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe he knew he had TWO MORE WEEKS to heal?

Wow! A lot of man crush for Vick here.. I think the fact AR didn't give a direct answer and dodged the question to whom as the rest of season starter going forward before Titan's game should be ample clue he is waiting for the result of sundays game and hope to use the "riding the hot hand" excuse with Kolb (his man crush). Except Kobe choked with 3 turn overs, one at the goal line (thank god, Vick owner here). One huge gave away was the "reason" Vick was not starting because he is not 100% YET Andy answered rightaway after the game Vick would be the starter in week 9, How is "Dr" AndyR so sure? unless he already knew Vick was already 100%( he could of started) before the game. think about it.

It is a good thing Vick is back, that way when they play the Titans again he can do a better job of covering Britt than Kolb did.

Also, Kolb has started against...

Packers (playoff contender)-bad

49ers (underacheivers)-good

Falcons (playoff cont)-good

Titans (playoff cont)-ok

Vick has started against....

Lions (improving but bad)-good

Jaguars (ugly)-good

Redskins (playoff cont)- ok

Vick should put up good stats against Indy, their defense is suspect and they will need to score. But how will he hold up against better defenses? I don't think his body will make it til the end of the season, and then it will be blamed on the oline. Vick might very well step up with all these weapons and prove me wrong, but I think when the pressure is on against some good teams, he will revert to the old Vick. A human highlight real, that is not a good QB. He was, is, and always will be a great fantasy QB, but an average NFL QB

Maybe Andy is a doctor, so confident diagnose that Vick will heal without a doubt within 2 weeks without running any physical test in between...nahhhh Andy already knew Vick was okay to start in week 7, Nice try.

ScottyDog said:
Or maybe he knew he had TWO MORE WEEKS to heal?

FarEastKilla said:
Wow! A lot of man crush for Vick here.. I think the fact AR didn't give a direct answer and dodged the question to whom as the rest of season starter going forward before Titan's game should be ample clue he is waiting for the result of sundays game and hope to use the "riding the hot hand" excuse with Kolb (his man crush). Except Kobe choked with 3 turn overs, one at the goal line (thank god, Vick owner here). One huge gave away was the "reason" Vick was not starting because he is not 100% YET Andy answered rightaway after the game Vick would be the starter in week 9, How is "Dr" AndyR so sure? unless he already knew Vick was already 100%( he could of started) before the game. think about it.

Starting him this week as well. FWIW, I have both Kolb and Vick. I don't care who starts as I believe they will both produce and be fine. My concern is that they get swapped halfway through games and kill fantasy owners.

As for the debate, I agree with Vick for this week. If you look at the IND defense, while their secondary has played somewhat decent, they have given up a lot of yards on the ground. With Vick's mobility, he is harder to scheme against from a Defense perspective. Vick adds complexity and can beat them on the ground with only throwing 170 yds passing.

Personally, I am hoping for one of those 100 yd rush games and 150 yd pass games with a couple of TDs thrown in. Then again, I am a PHI homer, so I am slightly biased. :2cents:

Heh, Vick has gotten some great schedule breaks. He comes in just in time for Jacksonville and Detroit, dodges Tennessee, and gets to come back the week after to play against the Colts.

Heh, Vick has gotten some great schedule breaks. He comes in just in time for Jacksonville and Detroit, dodges Tennessee, and gets to come back the week after to play against the Colts.
I don't think the Colts is a good matchup at all. Their pass defense has been very good the last few years and this year they are 7th in yardage and tied for 3rd fewest TDs given up. Some people will say this is simply a bi-product of a poor run defense but I don't think that's the case.Yes, you can run on them but I think they are much more suscpetible to a power running game than they are to a running QB. The cover 2 the Colts still play a lot of takes away most of the big play opportunities in the passing game. And we know their pass rush is very good and Vick is always one of the most sacked QBs in the league. I'm still starting him but this matchup is not nearly as good as some may think.

And I finally dropped Kolb from my 12 team dynasty league.

I just couldn't justify him holding a spot for the rest of the year when I've got Cutler & Stafford as well.

I think Kolb can put up points, in Reid's system....but I don't know if he'll ever get that chance again.

The Colts pass defense is so awesome YTD is due to the speed of their DEs, they are able to get to opposing QB before QBs are set to throw. How ever if watch the game carefully, when QBs take deep drop backs they are gashing gaps between DE and DT of colts due to speed of DE, Against none mobile QBs the gaps are okay, but against vick that's dangerous gamble. So Vick has a good chance to make colts pass rush ineffective. Eagles with Vick could turn Colts strength into their weakness at least defense goes... Colts offense another story...IMO.

I don't think the Colts is a good matchup at all. Their pass defense has been very good the last few years and this year they are 7th in yardage and tied for 3rd fewest TDs given up. Some people will say this is simply a bi-product of a poor run defense but I don't think that's the case.Yes, you can run on them but I think they are much more suscpetible to a power running game than they are to a running QB. The cover 2 the Colts still play a lot of takes away most of the big play opportunities in the passing game. And we know their pass rush is very good and Vick is always one of the most sacked QBs in the league. I'm still starting him but this matchup is not nearly as good as some may think.

Anyone think that the DEs rushing up field like maniacs could pay dividends for the Philly offense? They not only need to keep contain but also respect the draws, delayed handoffs, and Mike Vick's running ability. I think big things for Vick this week, both passing and rushing.

Starting him over Cutler, despite Cutler coming off a bye and facing Buff. I hope I don't regret it :2cents:

I'm more salivating at the prospect of Vick hanging a C-note rushing vs. Indy than his passing #'s. That alone makes him a worthy start. The rest is gravy.

And I finally dropped Kolb from my 12 team dynasty league.

I just couldn't justify him holding a spot for the rest of the year when I've got Cutler & Stafford as well.

I think Kolb can put up points, in Reid's system....but I don't know if he'll ever get that chance again.
You dropped Kolb in a dynasty league? Whoa.Vick might not even be Philly's quarterback next week, let alone next year.

I am seriously considering him over Peyton. Probably won't do it, don't have the stones to sit Manning, but I think Vick will have a great day.

Users who are viewing this thread