What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (4 Viewers)

I can't imagine they go exclusive for ES or FO, I would be some of the lesser titles like Prey go exclusive. Oh and Arkane actually has a timed PS5 exclusive set to come out next year. It'll be interesting to see if that sticks or not.
I’m not totally convinced that’s right, but even being able to put those games on Game Pass day 1 makes Xbox a much more compelling option than it was a few days ago. 

Have any updates to Madden 21 for PS4 come out yet?  Some of the reviews mentioned there were some glitches during game play and I was hoping that was fixed by now.  I alsp read they are making some franchise updates, but that might not be for a while.

Any FBGs playing Among Us? It's only 5 dollars on steam but requires at least 6 people all who can voice Com together on something like discord. 

Microsoft buying Zenimax and Bethesda Softworks  :shock:

If they go exclusive XBox with those titles it would be huge.  I'm a PC guy so won't impact me, but my son is a PS guy, not sure if he would switch if all the Bethesda games were not available or not.
As a very minimal casual game guy, who plays sparingly, this news actually pissed me off.  

I have played an Xbox maybe once.  I don't hate them, but I don't tend to pour money into gaming.  I had no intentions of buying a next gen console.  

Oh well.  As little as I play, its probably not worth the worry.  Skyrim is one of about 5 games that I play.

As a very minimal casual game guy, who plays sparingly, this news actually pissed me off.  

I have played an Xbox maybe once.  I don't hate them, but I don't tend to pour money into gaming.  I had no intentions of buying a next gen console.  

Oh well.  As little as I play, its probably not worth the worry.  Skyrim is one of about 5 games that I play.
I doubt it will change a huge amount.  Microsoft isn't huge on exclusive titles - I suspect the big ones (Elder Scrolls) will be released to all consoles, PC, etc.  Too much money lost to cut Sony out.

I doubt it will change a huge amount.  Microsoft isn't huge on exclusive titles - I suspect the big ones (Elder Scrolls) will be released to all consoles, PC, etc.  Too much money lost to cut Sony out.
While I agree with this sentiment, I also think they will at least try to calculate how many consoles they can sell to people just looking to play games from those specific creators.  If they estimate a high enough sales volume, and at the same time put their main competitors in a hole, then I can see them doing it.  

Just as a somewhat related aside.  How many serious gamers use both (or all three?) consoles?  I would guess most stick to the one they are most familiar with, but I don't know, and that is obviously excluding PC gamers.

I think you can expect some exclusivity at least for a period of time on those big name games.  Eventually they will be on PS5, but you don't spend that kind of money to control a game developer like Bethesda and not use it to your advantage.

I think you can expect some exclusivity at least for a period of time on those big name games.  Eventually they will be on PS5, but you don't spend that kind of money to control a game developer like Bethesda and not use it to your advantage.
I could see like they did with tomb raider ... a 6-12 month exclusive title

Got my Xbox preordered from Amazon. 
I showed up to Gamestop.com 10 minutes early. They let me put it in my cart and hit checkout at 8am. Lots of browser spinning/waiting. Gamestop then threw me out of checkout and my cart was empty. They said they were sold-out. What kind of BS is this. 

Sold out everywhere as far as I can tell. 

I showed up to Gamestop.com 10 minutes early. They let me put it in my cart and hit checkout at 8am. Lots of browser spinning/waiting. Gamestop then threw me out of checkout and my cart was empty. They said they were sold-out. What kind of BS is this. 

Sold out everywhere as far as I can tell. 
Wasn’t easy to get one. Got one from Walmart that was cancelled two minutes later. Target and Best Buy could get it in my cart but could never check out. Amazon finally went live late and their checkout process is so easy. Just a couple clicks. 

Regarding Bethesda, I’m of the belief that the major games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls will not come out on the PlayStation. To play, buy an Xbox, or GamePass sub for PC. Maybe also Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the PC gaming guys @TLEF316 and @Nick Vermeil want to give Among Us a try let me know. Since our pubg days are over. 
So I watched someone streaming it the other day. It SORTA seems like a video game version of Werewolf but I'm kinda struggling to see the appeal. Like what is the deal with the tasks? It just it just a mechanism to keep everyone moving around the map so that the imposters can make kills?

So I watched someone streaming it the other day. It SORTA seems like a video game version of Werewolf but I'm kinda struggling to see the appeal. Like what is the deal with the tasks? It just it just a mechanism to keep everyone moving around the map so that the imposters can make kills?
The tasks essentially get you to "night mode" but also act as a way to figure out imposters because they can't do the tasks they can only pretend to. 

You are 100 percent spot on, it's basically digital werewolf. It's actually super fun but really not great unless you have at least 6 people. So just trying to build a consensus 

Eta: it's also way funner to play w the same people so you get to know each others tendencies. Also similar to werewolf. The game costs 5 bucks. If we can get Nick and 1 or 2 others we might be OK to try it out 

Regarding Bethesda, I’m of the belief that the major games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls will not come out on the PlayStation. To play, buy an Xbox, or GamePass sub for PC. Maybe also Steam.
I wonder if MS thinks they'll make up the lost sales from PS by selling more XBoxes. Or if it's simply an FU to Sony.

The tasks essentially get you to "night mode" but also act as a way to figure out imposters because they can't do the tasks they can only pretend to. 

You are 100 percent spot on, it's basically digital werewolf. It's actually super fun but really not great unless you have at least 6 people. So just trying to build a consensus 

Eta: it's also way funner to play w the same people so you get to know each others tendencies. Also similar to werewolf. The game costs 5 bucks. If we can get Nick and 1 or 2 others we might be OK to try it out 
Also have you seen @Nick Vermeil in a while? I haven't seen him on Steam 

So I finally installed and started giving Divinity Original Sin Enhanced a try.  I bought it years ago, but have just kept passing it up when I've started up a new game.  Man, I haven't done a hard core RPG for a long time, even character creation was daunting, but I did some read-ups and started with a Wizzard - Ranger Combo and we'll see what happens.  I just got started and finished the tutorial dungeon so not even into it yet.  So far I LOVE the art style graphics.  For me that's such a smart way for a smaller company to put out a AAA game.  Not everything needs to go for the realistic look, but I love it when they find a good art style and use it well.  It's a older game, but looks really good to play.

So far my only technical issue with the game is I have a hard time getting the screen to scroll with the characters, sometimes I feel "stuck" at the edge of the current screen and it won't push into the next area till I click a bunch of times and really force it.  Never really had that feeling in a game before.

Jobber said:
I don't know, has this ever happened before where a big company bought out a (ok multiple) MASSIVE franchise(s) and took it exclusive?  That would be a really crappy world if Sony and MS just started buying up major studios and putting them all in their individual buckets, hope we never see that.  I can't believe MS takes those exclusive, maybe a 6/12 month exclusivity as others have suggested, but I've been wrong before.

How does game pass work?  Can you not "buy" games anymore and are forced to pay for the service to access any games?  I really don't play most of the mainstream games, no FPS or online gaming, so having to pay a monthly service for the single player RPG's that I occasionally buy would suck.  How is this working?  I do most of my RPG games on computer, and action on PS, so never really touched Xbox or Gamepass at all.

I don't know, has this ever happened before where a big company bought out a (ok multiple) MASSIVE franchise(s) and took it exclusive?  That would be a really crappy world if Sony and MS just started buying up major studios and putting them all in their individual buckets, hope we never see that.  I can't believe MS takes those exclusive, maybe a 6/12 month exclusivity as others have suggested, but I've been wrong before.

How does game pass work?  Can you not "buy" games anymore and are forced to pay for the service to access any games?  I really don't play most of the mainstream games, no FPS or online gaming, so having to pay a monthly service for the single player RPG's that I occasionally buy would suck.  How is this working?  I do most of my RPG games on computer, and action on PS, so never really touched Xbox or Gamepass at all.
You can buy individual games just like always.  Game Pass is an additional service that's basically Netflix - ~$10 a month and you can download and play any game on the service for the console (you can pay more and get PC games too).  I haven't jumped in yet because I usually only play a couple of big single player games a year and the cost of that has been less than the subscription cost so far.  But now that my kids are getting old enough to play and there is just such a huge catalog of newer, AAA stuff on the service, I'll probably sign up before long.

So I finally installed and started giving Divinity Original Sin Enhanced a try.  I bought it years ago, but have just kept passing it up when I've started up a new game.  Man, I haven't done a hard core RPG for a long time, even character creation was daunting, but I did some read-ups and started with a Wizzard - Ranger Combo and we'll see what happens.  I just got started and finished the tutorial dungeon so not even into it yet.  So far I LOVE the art style graphics.  For me that's such a smart way for a smaller company to put out a AAA game.  Not everything needs to go for the realistic look, but I love it when they find a good art style and use it well.  It's a older game, but looks really good to play.

So far my only technical issue with the game is I have a hard time getting the screen to scroll with the characters, sometimes I feel "stuck" at the edge of the current screen and it won't push into the next area till I click a bunch of times and really force it.  Never really had that feeling in a game before.

My brother in law was pretty adamant that the second one was much better than the first and he recommended skipping the first game.

I buy every system, but I am thinking about waiting a few months. I prefer PS over Xbox, but there was nothing in the launch titles that really made me HAVE to have this system right now.  The same holds true for the Xbox--some interesting release titles, but nothing I was gushing over. 

I think I will spend my money upgrading several tv's over Christmas and then drop money on the systems in March or April. 

Who knows, I may get caught up in the hype....

My brother in law was pretty adamant that the second one was much better than the first and he recommended skipping the first game.
The second was easier to follow, story-wise, but I wouldn't skip the first. In fact, I felt the combat in the first was more fun. In the second one, they ramped up the "element" part of the battles to a ridiculous degree. It seemed like in every battle, everything was engulfed in flames or electric steam or whatnot. I almost felt like they were puzzle battles, and (especially early on) you had to "figure it out" by failing once or twice. Which isn't fun when a battle can take 30 minutes. 

It's stupid to preorder both systems right?

I’m debating the same thing lol
I preordered both from Amazon. I had Xbox 360 but never owned Xbox One, and none of the launch titles really thrill me, so I told myself I wasn't going to preorder an Xbox. But Amazon makes it too easy, and I won't get charged until it ships, so I figured I could cancel anytime with nothing to lose. 

I preordered both from Amazon. I had Xbox 360 but never owned Xbox One, and none of the launch titles really thrill me, so I told myself I wasn't going to preorder an Xbox. But Amazon makes it too easy, and I won't get charged until it ships, so I figured I could cancel anytime with nothing to lose. 
Would you keep the Xbox or sell it? I don't think I would keep it so I decided not to order one. I know I might be able to make some money but will just assume that the one I ordered is going to someone who actually wanted it. 

Would you keep the Xbox or sell it? I don't think I would keep it so I decided not to order one. I know I might be able to make some money but will just assume that the one I ordered is going to someone who actually wanted it. 
I wouldn't sell it for profit. I'll likely just cancel the order, but I also might ask friends if any of them were looking to order one for Christmas and then just sell it to that person at cost.

I didn't try for an xbox. My xbox one is only a couple years old so I'll probably do the same thing.  Stay Ps5 and xboxe one for a while then get the new series X in a couple years.   * Assuming no exclusive comes out I have to own

Looking like Mass Effect remaster may be held off until next year. Reports said it is due to the fact ME1 isn't up to the level of the other games. That is interesting, they may be giving that game a bigger work over than I expected.

Looking like Mass Effect remaster may be held off until next year. Reports said it is due to the fact ME1 isn't up to the level of the other games. That is interesting, they may be giving that game a bigger work over than I expected.
I'm worried. Yes the combat and character designs are dated but I'm worried they try to streamline the missions like they did in ME3 and worse change the story. 

Insein said:
I'm worried. Yes the combat and character designs are dated but I'm worried they try to streamline the missions like they did in ME3 and worse change the story. 
I really don't see that happening. I think they are largely cleaning up graphics and improving combat and cover. I really think we get are same game.

I really don't see that happening. I think they are largely cleaning up graphics and improving combat and cover. I really think we get are same game.
I wouldn't really mind if they changed things up, even if I'm not thrilled with the changes.  I've played those games so many times, anything different would at least be a new experience.

Gamepass had a ridiculously cheap deal last year I believe where you could convert up to 3yrs out of a prepaid Xbox Live Gold membership to Gamepass for like a dollar. I was able to play some games like Outer Worlds and Sea of Thieves for free that I would have otherwise spent money on. Hopefully they bring back some similar deals with launch of the new Series X.

Maybe this is the video game industry maturing into a closer sub-set of just the broader entertainment industry. Video games are more main stream entertainment than ever before. It feels to me like MS and Sony want to compete with Netflix for your time and monthly subscription budget as much as they are competing with each other. A lot of people think this will be the last generation of home console sales. Cloud gaming may be kind of jankey today but at the end of life of the new consoles all internet connections(even mobile) may be fast enough to solve lag issues for 99% of people. 

When that change occurs and MS/Sony just want to be digital content distributors they are trying to insulate themselves from problems Netflix had when content creators sensed they suddenly had more power in the equation. That forced Netflix to raise prices, lose some content, and eventually both. As a result Netflix now creates some of its own exclusive content for its subscribers. As does Amazon. And HBO. Disney. The real race is acquiring/creating enough good entertainment that consumers are willing to subscribe. Sounds like the direction MS(for sure) and Sony are headed. Even Nintendo will likely follow suit when budget smartphones/phablets/tablets are more powerful than the mobile hardware they designed a few YEARS ago.

It may not even be all that bad a development for consumers. It will be frustrating for hard core gamers just as it's tough for hard core streamers that probably have several subscriptions. But in a race to create differentiating content much of the "exclusives" you get from Netflix/Amazon/HBO/Disney are some of the best entertainment out there imo. Similarly, wouldn't it be great if Xbox bought an NFL license to work with EA on Madden(exclusive to their platform), and Sony bought an NFL license to work with 2K(exclusive to their platform)? That's just one example but I feel like the video game world is getting kind of stagnant in a way and it would be beneficial if some quality independent game makers had some funding to put out some new products to compete with a few of these big money franchises that get a little stale. 

Hope so. Just don't trust the industry lately. Especially Bioware.
Same here.

I just couldn't in good conscience ever purchase another Madden game simply to get updated rosters. It would feel "dirty" supporting something that is much worse than the threat of exclusive titles becoming more common. If they are actually innovative exclusive titles pushing the boundaries and competing with other exclusive titles all the better. Maybe this is just showing my age. Nintendo vs Sega was a great time in the industry even if those titles look dated now.

Maybe this is the video game industry maturing into a closer sub-set of just the broader entertainment industry. Video games are more main stream entertainment than ever before. It feels to me like MS and Sony want to compete with Netflix for your time and monthly subscription budget as much as they are competing with each other. A lot of people think this will be the last generation of home console sales. Cloud gaming may be kind of jankey today but at the end of life of the new consoles all internet connections(even mobile) may be fast enough to solve lag issues for 99% of people. 

When that change occurs and MS/Sony just want to be digital content distributors they are trying to insulate themselves from problems Netflix had when content creators sensed they suddenly had more power in the equation. That forced Netflix to raise prices, lose some content, and eventually both. As a result Netflix now creates some of its own exclusive content for its subscribers. As does Amazon. And HBO. Disney. The real race is acquiring/creating enough good entertainment that consumers are willing to subscribe. Sounds like the direction MS(for sure) and Sony are headed. Even Nintendo will likely follow suit when budget smartphones/phablets/tablets are more powerful than the mobile hardware they designed a few YEARS ago.

It may not even be all that bad a development for consumers. It will be frustrating for hard core gamers just as it's tough for hard core streamers that probably have several subscriptions. But in a race to create differentiating content much of the "exclusives" you get from Netflix/Amazon/HBO/Disney are some of the best entertainment out there imo. Similarly, wouldn't it be great if Xbox bought an NFL license to work with EA on Madden(exclusive to their platform), and Sony bought an NFL license to work with 2K(exclusive to their platform)? That's just one example but I feel like the video game world is getting kind of stagnant in a way and it would be beneficial if some quality independent game makers had some funding to put out some new products to compete with a few of these big money franchises that get a little stale. 
Microsoft is 100% going this route. It’s being said they don’t give a crap about selling consoles, that’s just a gateway to get people interested in Gamepass. Which is also working cross-platform on PC and may eventually be on PlayStation too. They are pre-emptively doing what Netflix did as they want to be the content provider but also don’t want to get locked out of the content creation so buying up the publishers.

Amazon just announced Luna not long ago, their response to Gamepass. They see what’s going on and want to get in on it too.

Users who are viewing this thread