What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vince Young not ready to be an NFL QB (1 Viewer)

doughboydeluxe

Footballguy
An interesting article, and he makes some very valid points.

Young not ready for prime time

By Jason Whitlock

Special to Page 2

You have to wonder whether Vince Young knows what job he's applying for, or if he even realizes that he is "applying" for a job.

The NFL doesn't recruit starting quarterbacks. It's not the Marines out looking for a few good men. When it comes to picking its quarterbacks, The League is Halle Berry on Oscar night. She can pick any designer she pleases, and the world's most renowned designers are just grateful for the opportunity to be considered.

Vince Young doesn't get this. He thinks joining the NFL will be similar to joining the NCAA. He mistakenly believes he's holding all (or most of) the cards, and that come April's draft some lucky GM is going to feel like a lottery winner when Vince Young stands next to Paul Tagliabue and pulls on a Saints or Texans or Titans cap.

Vince Young is clueless. And I'm not talking about his score on the Wonderlic test. I'm talking about his understanding of what it takes to make it in the NFL as a quarterback.

Humility is the No. 1 ingredient.

The most prestigious and most difficult job in all of sports -- NFL quarterback -- is played at a high level by the men willing to humble themselves and prepare like each Sunday is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

This isn't the NBA, and Young isn't Shaquille O'Neal. You don't get the first half of the season to play your way into shape. It's not Major League Baseball, and Young isn't Roger Clemens. You don't get to stay at home with your family on certain road trips.

This isn't the University of Texas, and Young is no longer able to rely on his superior athleticism and instincts to outduel his competitors.

Young's success in the NFL will hinge almost exclusively on his willingness to prepare. And that's exactly what Young's Wonderlic score and other curious decisions call into question -- his will to prepare and his level of humility.

The fact that Young had to take the Wonderlic twice in order to score a 16 is an indication to me that Young did not prepare for the test, particularly the first time. That speaks to Young's arrogance. So does his choice in representation and his decision to visit the president and the White House sans sports coat and tie.

Are you following me?

When you have a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, securing a $25 million signing bonus and landing one of the 32 most important jobs in professional sports, you don't pick a family friend and local criminal defense attorney (Major Adams) to head up your campaign.

That's not keeping it real. It's foolish and arrogant. It raises questions about your decision-making and maturity.

Now, had Young wanted to give Major Adams a break, Young could've easily stipulated to any experienced potential agent that Adams work as co-counsel. A deal such as this would've provided Adams with a tremendous learning experience and protected Young's interest.

It would've given Team Vince, the loosely formed management posse representing Young, some much-needed professionalism. A seasoned agent might be able to explain to Young the difference between being an NFL quarterback and an NBA small forward.

Small forwards travel with posses decked out in white T's, bling bling and agents in sweat suits. NFL quarterbacks don't.

When Young hit radio row at Super Bowl XL with posse and Major Adams in tow, that was the first time I sensed that Young might not grasp that the rules are different for QBs and DBs. When I learned that the leader of Young's posse (and the man calling the real shots for Team Vince) is a longtime friend and Houston nightclub owner who goes by the nickname "Black," that's when I told a friend to keep an eye on Young's draft stock.

"It's gonna dip."

A starting NFL quarterback is the face of a billion-dollar corporation. He is one of the three or four highest-profile individuals in his city and perhaps in his state. His every move is cussed, discussed and analyzed by millions of people who don't have a clue about playing the position.

It's impossible to exaggerate just how much more important the NFL is than every other sport in this country. Vince Young foolishly thinks that the Texas Longhorns and Mack Brown are more important than the Houston Texans and Gary Kubiak. Young thinks playing USC for the national championship was real pressure.

Playing quarterback in the NFL is the equivalent of getting in the sack with Jenna Jameson. Oh, everybody wants to do it, but it can be an incredibly humbling and "short" experience.

Just ask Ryan Leaf or countless other can't-miss prospects. Michael Vick is in the process of getting humbled. He was supposed to reinvent the position. I don't believe the position will ever be reinvented. The guys who have consistent success will always be the guys who prepare the hardest.

Before any NFL owner gives Young a bunch of guaranteed dollars, the general manager better make sure Young is going to hit the film room and practice field just as hard as Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady. The GM also should make sure that the head coach and offensive coordinator -- not some let's-hit-the-strip-clubs posse member -- have the ear of the quarterback.

Playing QB in The League is a different animal.

It's an honor. So far, Vince Young isn't treating it like an honor. He's treating it like it's his right, granted to him by an MVP performance in the Rose Bowl. You can be a fool and argue that Young proved all he needed to prove in Texas' upset of USC. Hmm. Didn't Redskins running back Tim Smith and Cowboys cornerback Larry Brown have big games on football's biggest stage and later prove to be frauds? And what don't people understand about the concept that NFL quarterbacks have to prove themselves week to week?

Right now Young is proving that he doesn't have the necessary intangibles to thrive as a starting QB. He carries himself like a wide receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing quarterback in the NFL is the equivalent of getting in the sack with Jenna Jameson. Oh, everybody wants to do it, but it can be an incredibly humbling and "short" experience.
:lmao:

I think Jason Whitlock has demonstrated amply in the past that he isn't very good at understanding football, and that his main attribute which apparently keeps him employed as a sportswriter is to write outrageous columns that no one holds him accountable for.

This appears to be yet another instance of same.

This from a guy who still thinks Jeff George can still be a difference for a team on the border of making it to the Super Bowl. Whitlock is for shock value only. He's notorious here in the KC area. Even had a tirade on the sports radio station here right before he walked out on them!

I think Jason Whitlock has demonstrated amply in the past that he isn't very good at understanding football, and that his main attribute which apparently keeps him employed as a sportswriter is to write outrageous columns that no one holds him accountable for.

This appears to be yet another instance of same.
He has a very good football knowledge, but I agree he is prorbably a much better writer than a prognosticator.I still enjoy reading all of his articles... he's my favorite sports writer.

At the least, he brings up subjects that perhaps haven't been debated before and tries to get the reader to thinkcritically about them.

Clearly, he accomplishes his goal here, and I don't think you can really knock him for it.

You ought to go yell at him on AIM. He's on there sometimes.

Last edited:
So his argument is that Vince Young isn't "humble" enough? That is looking for things to nitpick. Call him out on his delivery or intelligence, but humility? Humility isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when someone says the name Marinio or Elway or most good NFL QBs. I don't think Vince Young has shown the lack of a work ethic. Anyone that saw him progress as a QB from year-to-year would understand that it took hard work and study. He didn't improve because his athleticism improved, he improved because his understanding of the game improved--and that came through effort. Sure, he doesn't have the understanding of the mental aspects of the position like Lineart has, but to argue that he isn't going to succeed as an NFL purely because he isn't humble is :tinfoilhat:

Vince Young is clueless. And I'm not talking about his score on the Wonderlic test.
Yet
Young's success in the NFL will hinge almost exclusively on his willingness to prepare. And that's exactly what Young's Wonderlic score and other curious decisions call into question -- his will to prepare and his level of humility.
And
The fact that Young had to take the Wonderlic twice in order to score a 16 is an indication to me that Young did not prepare for the test, particularly the first time. That speaks to Young's arrogance.
This guy is an idiot. VY was ill prepared for the Wonderlic so...............he's arrogant? :rolleyes: Let's see Young is clueless but I'm not talking about his score on the Wonderlic test, but the main point of my article is about the Wonderlic. What ever dude!

This could be true, at least to a degree, but nothing about Vince says he's arrogant. Now about "Black", ok that's not the best of ideas.

When I learned that the leader of Young's posse (and the man calling the real shots for Team Vince) is a longtime friend and Houston nightclub owner who goes by the nickname "Black,"
That's if it's the same Black that I know. :unsure:

Yeah, it's a little over the top, but I can guarantee that GM's are scratching their heads over Vince Young. He's very athletic, has star quality, but could be set up to fail like Ryan Leaf.

So do you take a chance on him or not?

Well, at some point in the draft you do, but I think Vince Young's actions have caused him to drop significantly, and that will have cost him millions.

So his argument is that Vince Young isn't "humble" enough? That is looking for things to nitpick. Call him out on his delivery or intelligence, but humility? Humility isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when someone says the name Marinio or Elway or most good NFL QBs. I don't think Vince Young has shown the lack of a work ethic. Anyone that saw him progress as a QB from year-to-year would understand that it took hard work and study. He didn't improve because his athleticism improved, he improved because his understanding of the game improved--and that came through effort. Sure, he doesn't have the understanding of the mental aspects of the position like Lineart has, but to argue that he isn't going to succeed as an NFL purely because he isn't humble is :tinfoilhat:
Hey gudes,I see Whitlock as taking issue with Young's decision making, not his humility. And you know what? He makes some excellent points. For all the talk of measurables, etc...what really makes guys like Brady & Manning great? Preparation, maturity, devotion to his craft. If you're a GM, you can't afford to get a top 3 QB pick wrong, you just can't. So things that look beyond someone's athleticism and speak to his maturity, preparation and focus are keys to avoiding a big mistake.

I'm no fan of Whitlock generally, but I will say this...the fact he wrote this column about a prominent black QB prospect speaks volumes. Whitlock isn't exactly known for taking other black athletes and people to task.

So his argument is that Vince Young isn't "humble" enough?  That is looking for things to nitpick.  Call him out on his delivery or intelligence, but humility?  Humility isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when someone says the name Marinio or Elway or most good NFL QBs.  I don't think Vince Young has shown the lack of a work ethic.  Anyone that saw him progress as a QB from year-to-year would understand that it took hard work and study.  He didn't improve because his athleticism improved, he improved because his understanding of the game improved--and that came through effort.  Sure, he doesn't have the understanding of the mental aspects of the position like Lineart has, but to argue that he isn't going to succeed as an NFL purely because he isn't humble is  :tinfoilhat:
Hey gudes,I see Whitlock as taking issue with Young's decision making, not his humility. And you know what? He makes some excellent points. For all the talk of measurables, etc...what really makes guys like Brady & Manning great? Preparation, maturity, devotion to his craft. If you're a GM, you can't afford to get a top 3 QB pick wrong, you just can't. So things that look beyond someone's athleticism and speak to his maturity, preparation and focus are keys to avoiding a big mistake.

I'm no fan of Whitlock generally, but I will say this...the fact he wrote this column about a prominent black QB prospect speaks volumes. Whitlock isn't exactly known for taking other black athletes and people to task.
:thumbup:

Eh, I don't agree. The only volumes the article spoke to me was that Jason Whitlock cared more about writing an article that would get people to discuss it than he did writing an article worth discussing.There are nuggets of truth in there. There's enough that someone could even write a really good article on the topic. Maybe someone will, because this surely wasn't it.

:thumbup: on the topic.

:thumbdown: on sensational journalism trying to oversell the topic.

Here is a slightly different opinion of Vince Young. It's from Jason Whitlock.

Once things settled down Wednesday night, once all the participants shook their early-game jitters and elevated their play to Vince Young status, the 92nd Rose Bowl was everything we wanted.

Texas-Southern Cal, a clash of two college football heavyweights, turned into an amateur version of Ali-Frazier, a Killa Thrilla.

The inclination is to call Young the Muhammad Ali of Wednesday’s BCS title tilt. Young floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee, passing for 267 yards and running for 200 yards and three scores.

But the truth is he was Frazier, the underappreciated, talented superstar with something to prove. And just like Frazier, Young battered the team considered the “greatest of all time,” brought out the best in USC (and rival quarterback Matt Leinart), and the Texas QB shook up the world..............

.................Yeah, Young was Joe Frazier in “The Fight of the Century,” the first Ali-Frazier clash. Frazier whipped the “people’s champion” after months of being disrespected by Ali and sports writers overly impressed with Ali’s flair and speed.........

............On a night filled with pressure, hype and anticipation, Young was about the only person involved in the game who didn’t crack in the first half.

Playing quarterback in the NFL is the equivalent of getting in the sack with Jenna Jameson. Oh, everybody wants to do it, but it can be an incredibly humbling and "short" experience..
All I want is the opportunity to prove him wrong. :D

So his argument is that Vince Young isn't "humble" enough?  That is looking for things to nitpick.  Call him out on his delivery or intelligence, but humility?  Humility isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when someone says the name Marinio or Elway or most good NFL QBs.  I don't think Vince Young has shown the lack of a work ethic.  Anyone that saw him progress as a QB from year-to-year would understand that it took hard work and study.  He didn't improve because his athleticism improved, he improved because his understanding of the game improved--and that came through effort.  Sure, he doesn't have the understanding of the mental aspects of the position like Lineart has, but to argue that he isn't going to succeed as an NFL purely because he isn't humble is  :tinfoilhat:

I don't disagree with much of what you said about the importance of maturity, however, the article IMO, didn't make a persuasive case. He argued that "You don't get the first half of the season to play your way into shape...You don't get to stay at home with your family on certain road trips" and so on. VY has never, shown a lack willingness to prepare and I think the year-to-year improvements in his game prove this, so those comments are completely baseless. In fact, he looked to be in pretty good shape for the OSU game--so the preponderance of evidence is against Young using the first half of the season to get in shape and that was one of many baseless assertions/conclusions that the article made. Whitlock took some tidbits of information and then leapt to the conclusion, for instance, that Young would listen to "some let's-hit-the-strip-clubs posse member" over his head coach and OC when there is nothing in his past that would suggest this. However, I think all of this goes back to the wonderlic score. Those that believe that he didn't prepare for the test and bombed it are likely to believe the stuff in this article. Those that think the wonderlic screw up was the outside of Young's control are going to believe otherwise.

:lmao:
No matter what you think of Whitlock, Young, or the article you HAVE to love that line.That is good stuff

A starting NFL quarterback is the face of a billion-dollar corporation. He is one of the three or four highest-profile individuals in his city and perhaps in his state. His every move is cussed, discussed and analyzed by millions of people who don't have a clue about playing the position.
I thought this was a good line that Whitlock should read again and again!!!

I think the article actually addresses a decent point, assuming you agree with the premise that he's acting arrogant or without humility. The NFL and its fan base is very different from the NBA and its fan base. If a team is investing that many millions of dollars, they want a face of the franchise that won't offend the fans. That doesn't mean that teams won't go for talent, but in deciding between two even candidates, I think a team will draft the QB who will favorably represent the franchise.

I saw this "Humility is the No. 1 ingredient." and then it appeared to me that he was trying to prove that VY was extremely deficient in that department. Why do you think he put that in his article, as a single sentence paragraph for emphasis, if he wasn't talking about that?

Yeah, it's a little over the top, but I can guarantee that GM's are scratching their heads over Vince Young. He's very athletic, has star quality, but could be set up to fail like Ryan Leaf.

So do you take a chance on him or not?

Well, at some point in the draft you do, but I think Vince Young's actions have caused him to drop significantly, and that will have cost him millions.
Not if you want to keep your job.

:goodposting: although the fact that I come even close to agreeing with anything Whitlock writes is a bit scary

:unsure:

I don't know what's worse...if VY's wonderlic score came WITH preparation or due to lack thereof
A person can dedicate themselves to something a lot easier than they can get over being so mentally slow that they couldn't score as many as you expect if he'd randomly guessed at the multi-choice questions.If he did prepare and still did that bad, and I'm an NFL GM, he better convince me there is a good reason for the score, like his answers were off by 1 number with the questions, or he just freezes up on intellectual tests.

The assertion the VY does not work hard or prepare or has a bad work ethic is just plain silly. If Whitlock really believes VY went 30-2 as a starter without working hard or preparing, then VY must be SUPER athletically talented and should be picked high for that reason alone.

But in reality, VY was one of the hardest workers on the team. It was VY who wrote on the Texas Chalkboard "Everyone who wants to beat Ohio State, be at the practice field on June __" The whole team showed up and followed his lead. He organized the most intense off-season 7-on-7 practices the team had ever had and even got the O-linemen and D-linemen to show up and turned them into 11-on-11 drills when the linemen had never participated in those before. The coaches and players credited those informal summer practices with giving them a huge step forward for fall practices and the start of the season. The improvement in the Texas passing game was quite evident, and it was in large part due to VY's hard work and leadership.

While I'll agree that VY hasn't made the best moves since the Rose Bowl, to jump to the conclusion that he's not a hard worker and isn;t willing to prepare is just assinine.

I don't know what's worse...if VY's wonderlic score came WITH preparation or due to lack thereof
...or the National Football Scouting screwed up the administration or scoring of the test. The key issue to me is that he was given a second test. The only explanation given for the re-test in Bryant's thread was that the NFL wants to market Young and they are trying to cover-up the poor score.

1. The NFL doesn't handle the combine--NFS--an independent scouting agency handles the combine.

2. The average fan won't care about Young's Wonderlic score--only us dorks that are on this board in March will care. Therefore, any ability to market Young isn't going to be diminished because of a Wonderlic score.

3. If he is as dumb as a 6 Wonderlic would suggest the NFL would want to address that before he becomes an NFL player--not deal with the consequences later.

4. National Football Scouting would presumably have legal liability if they mis-represented Young's scores.

I've heard the conspiracy theories and I don't think the NFL would have the motivation to cover this up, nor do they have direct control over the testing process. I think the NFL has taken enough hits to its reputation from idiot football players and I don't see why they would have a motivation to go to these lengths to cover-up Young's deficiencies--especially since he isn't yet an NFL player. The NFL is very image conscious and they aren't going to build a marketing campaign around a 6 Wonderlic QB--they are going to cut bait as fast at they can. Therefore, the notion that the NFL pressured NFS to coach up Young so that he would score a 16 on a re-test so that they could market him to a fan base that doesn't care about Wonderlic's is a bit of a stretch to me.

The fact that Young had to take the Wonderlic twice in order to score a 16 is an indication to me that Young did not prepare for the test, particularly the first time. That speaks to Young's arrogance. So does his choice in representation and his decision to visit the president and the White House sans sports coat and tie.Are you following me?When you have a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, securing a $25 million signing bonus and landing one of the 32 most important jobs in professional sports, you don't pick a family friend and local criminal defense attorney (Major Adams) to head up your campaign.That's not keeping it real. It's foolish and arrogant. It raises questions about your decision-making and maturity.Now, had Young wanted to give Major Adams a break, Young could've easily stipulated to any experienced potential agent that Adams work as co-counsel. A deal such as this would've provided Adams with a tremendous learning experience and protected Young's interest.It would've given Team Vince, the loosely formed management posse representing Young, some much-needed professionalism. A seasoned agent might be able to explain to Young the difference between being an NFL quarterback and an NBA small forward.
Why is everyone hating on VY's agent choice? Yes the dude is light on experience, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to negotiate or handle endorsements. Every agent has to get his first client somewhere.If someone is handling my millions, I want to make sure it's someone I trust. Yao Ming did a similar thing by going with friends/family at the University of Chicago I believe, and he hasn't missed a beat...

The fact that Young had to take the Wonderlic twice in order to score a 16 is an indication to me that Young did not prepare for the test, particularly the first time. That speaks to Young's arrogance. So does his choice in representation and his decision to visit the president and the White House sans sports coat and tie.

Are you following me?

When you have a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, securing a $25 million signing bonus and landing one of the 32 most important jobs in professional sports, you don't pick a family friend and local criminal defense attorney (Major Adams) to head up your campaign.

That's not keeping it real. It's foolish and arrogant. It raises questions about your decision-making and maturity.

Now, had Young wanted to give Major Adams a break, Young could've easily stipulated to any experienced potential agent that Adams work as co-counsel. A deal such as this would've provided Adams with a tremendous learning experience and protected Young's interest.

It would've given Team Vince, the loosely formed management posse representing Young, some much-needed professionalism. A seasoned agent might be able to explain to Young the difference between being an NFL quarterback and an NBA small forward.
Why is everyone hating on VY's agent choice? Yes the dude is light on experience, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to negotiate or handle endorsements. Every agent has to get his first client somewhere.If someone is handling my millions, I want to make sure it's someone I trust. Yao Ming did a similar thing by going with friends/family at the University of Chicago I believe, and he hasn't missed a beat...
Good point. They had an article in the Wall Street Journal today about NFL players getting bilked by fraudulent hedge funds.

There's only been a short period of time between upsetting USC and today. It's an unfamiliar period of time for a lot of college athletes, who are receiving much more attention, contemplating receiving much more money, and doing less work than at any time during their college careers. Naturally not all of them know what to do or handle it well. I'm not sure that extrapolates into a problem-filled career, personality flaws, or anything that major. For most it's just a learning time.

And writers just need something to write about to grab attention during slow periods.

There's only been a short period of time between upsetting USC and today. It's an unfamiliar period of time for a lot of college athletes, who are receiving much more attention, contemplating receiving much more money, and doing less work than at any time during their college careers. Naturally not all of them know what to do or handle it well. I'm not sure that extrapolates into a problem-filled career, personality flaws, or anything that major. For most it's just a learning time.

And writers just need something to write about to grab attention during slow periods.
:goodposting:

Why is everyone hating on VY's agent choice? Yes the dude is light on experience, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to negotiate or handle endorsements. Every agent has to get his first client somewhere.
true, but your first (or 2nd in this case) client probably shouldn't be the potential 1st pick in the draft. bad choice.:cough:Master P:cough:

Vince Young didn't have the decency to wear a coat and tie to visit the president and the White House. That should be enough to drop him down at least three rounds for a lack of class and respect and I don't care what your political views are.

Vince Young didn't have the decency to wear a coat and tie to visit the president and the White House.  That should be enough to drop him down at least three rounds for a lack of class and respect and I don't care what your political views are.
Just another twisting of stories by Whitlock. VY did not "decide" not to wear a suit to the Whitehouse, the airline lost his luggage and his uncle was supposed to get a suit and meet up with him but did not make it on time. Vince was CLEARLY very embarrased about it and tried to stay hidden. When Bush called him to the front, he even stood kind of behind Mack Brown. Vince and Mack said something to Bush to let him know why VY didn't have his suit. Bush obviously didn't care.

I think what Whitlock is getting at is that Vince Young is a clone of Akili Smith and Kordell Stewart with the brains 'Carl' from Slingblade...

MMMM-HHHHMMMMMMMMM

Are you following me?

Yes, you're right about this.But, as was stated (properly, I believe) in the article:

Column by San Antonio writer Buck Harvey I thought had some good points. He's obviously on Young's side and blames most of the problems on his agent.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columni...ck.d6270da.html

Buck Harvey: First slip by Young happened before test

Web Posted: 02/28/2006 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

I believe Vince Young scored a 6, all right. He seemingly always does in the open field.

I believe Young's football IQ overrides any multiple-choice test. I believe if the Wonderlic means so much, then USC should have started one at middle linebacker. And I believe if Dan Marino can do badly on this test, as he once did, then there's a chance Young will have a pro career.

But I also believe Young has been careless, and I believe his biggest mistake wasn't on a test. It came when he left the protective umbrella of the University of Texas.

Then he hired an agent whose great claim was being a family friend.

Either the UT program coddles its players too much, or it hides their weaknesses while they are there. No one saw the cracks in Ricky Williams, either, when he was in Austin.

His image changed as soon as he left Texas and chose Master P as his agent, and Young has followed. Without a support staff to suggest otherwise, Young pulled up in a white limo to tell Mack Brown he was going pro.

Since then, there have been other stories. When Young hasn't been buying cars (he has four, according to one count), he's been ignoring companies who want to talk to him about endorsements.

None of it is damning, and appearing at the White House without a suit is as irrelevant. At least Young didn't wear flip-flops.

But if Young had still been part of the Texas program? A coach would have made sure he understood proper dress when meeting the president. Young did wear a suit later, albeit at NBA All-Star parties in Houston.

These are just pieces to the puzzle NFL scouts try to fit together. And the Wonderlic is another small piece. NFL teams ask players to answer 50 multiple-choice, non-football questions in 12 minutes, and the results don't determine who can play. Alex Smith, the 49ers' top pick last year, got 40 answers right, and he's been a bust so far.

The test instead flags those who might struggle with what is often a complicated game, though some questions wouldn't challenge a third-grader. They are asked if they know, for example, if September is the ninth month of the year.

Some questions are harder, but many are as elementary. And that's why the buzz around the combine last weekend in Indianapolis was so strong.

Did Young really get a 6?

League execs could think of only one starting quarterback in history with a single-digit Wonderlic score (Vince Evans in the 1970s). Recently drafted quarterbacks include Michael Vick (20), David Carr (24) and Eli Manning (39). Matt Leinart had a 35 this year, and Marino somehow made do with a 15.

So Young's number was as crazy as his Rose Bowl numbers, and there were varying explanations. A prevalent one is that Young's test was incorrectly graded, and he retook the test. He scored a 16 then, which is passable.

But a source says the 6 really happened and that Young never took the test a second time. The league was so embarrassed by this leak that it invented a story. After all, why humiliate a player over something that is supposed to be private?

I don't know what happened, but I know this to be true: Vince raised more questions last weekend than he answered.

Many scouts already wondered about his throwing motion, and others question how well he will adjust to the pro game. Young will be able to prove everyone wrong. Again, I think he will.

But just as Marino scared off scouts and fell to the bottom of the first round, Young risks the same. This began months ago, when he chose a man named Major Adams to represent him.

Adams knows Young's uncle, but a veteran agent would know more. He would have understood the importance of the Wonderlic, and he would have given him sample tests to get a feel for the tone and speed. Such samples are available on ESPN.com right now.

An agent should have told Young that the NFL gossips about everything, and scouts will hear about the cars and the endorsement snubs and the White House. He would have stressed that these months before the draft mean a lot, that All-Star parties don't matter, and that tests come in all forms.

So forget Young's 6.

I believe the zero he hired means more.

Vince Young didn't have the decency to wear a coat and tie to visit the president and the White House. That should be enough to drop him down at least three rounds for a lack of class and respect and I don't care what your political views are.
Just another twisting of stories by Whitlock. VY did not "decide" not to wear a suit to the Whitehouse, the airline lost his luggage and his uncle was supposed to get a suit and meet up with him but did not make it on time. Vince was CLEARLY very embarrased about it and tried to stay hidden. When Bush called him to the front, he even stood kind of behind Mack Brown. Vince and Mack said something to Bush to let him know why VY didn't have his suit. Bush obviously didn't care.
The airline didn't lose it, he forgot it and one of his family members couldn't get there in time. Just more evidence on how immature he is.

Playing quarterback in the NFL is the equivalent of getting in the sack with Jenna Jameson. Oh, everybody wants to do it, but it can be an incredibly humbling and "short" experience..
All I want is the opportunity to prove him wrong. :D
All I want is the opportunity to prove him right.

Just more evidence on how immature he is.
I agree with this, but in the context of how he picked his agent. Young is how old, 20 or 21, and hasn't had to do anything on his own for years. I imagine the UT athletic department did everything for him. So any shortfalls in preparedness, at least as it relates to off the field issues is more likely the fault of his agent and bloodsuckers-in-tow, than a failure of his that might translate to less than solid on-the-field performance in the NFL.

I agree with this, but in the context of how he picked his agent. Young is how old, 20 or 21, and hasn't had to do anything on his own for years. I imagine the UT athletic department did everything for him. So any shortfalls in preparedness, at least as it relates to off the field issues is more likely the fault of his agent and bloodsuckers-in-tow, than a failure of his that might translate to less than solid on-the-field performance in the NFL.
And you know that Young has never had to do anything on his own how exactly?

Exactly Jason.Anyway, reading the article, I don't know about some of his points, but it is really earth shattering to say that Vince Young is not ready to be an NFL QB?

Are there really many people around here who thinks he's ready right now to be a starting NFL QB? If there are, you'd be wrong. He's not ready. Extremely few guys at this point ARE ready. This isn't to say he won't be a superstar in the NFL. He very well might be. But that has almost nothing to do with if he's ready right now.

Clearly, he has things that he must work on in order to succeed. The only exception right now is Leinart. Again, though, that doesn't mean at the end of the day Young won't be a much better NFL QB than Leinart. It only means that Leinart is ready today to be an NFL starter. Young is not.

The airline didn't lose it, he forgot it and one of his family members couldn't get there in time. Just more evidence on how immature he is.
Actually, he was doing a segment with Fox and they ran late and he had to rush to catch his flight to the white house. Poor support by the people around him but I've probably made bigger mistakes in my life so I don't think this is any evidence to how dumb or idiotic people want to make him out to be.

Exactly. Young improved by learning to depend less on his athleticism and more on improved knowledge of his offense, the defenses he played against, and how they'd react.I laughed at this, though:

When you have a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, securing a $25 million signing bonus and landing one of the 32 most important jobs in professional sports
So...the 32 NFL starting QB jobs = the "32 most important jobs in professional sports"? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Maybe a few, but certainly not all 32.

This guy's hilarious.

Hey gudes,

I see Whitlock as taking issue with Young's decision making, not his humility.
Really? Did you read the whole article? Specifically, this part?

The most prestigious and most difficult job in all of sports -- NFL quarterback -- is played at a high level by the men willing to humble themselves and prepare like each Sunday is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

This isn't the NBA, and Young isn't Shaquille O'Neal. You don't get the first half of the season to play your way into shape. It's not Major League Baseball, and Young isn't Roger Clemens. You don't get to stay at home with your family on certain road trips.

This isn't the University of Texas, and Young is no longer able to rely on his superior athleticism and instincts to outduel his competitors.

Are you following me?

And you know that Young has never had to do anything on his own how exactly?
I don't know about "anything" on his own, but he was a super star athlete since high school (and probably before) who has been coddled by people who want to benefit from his athletic ability. His decision-making since leaving Texas, where he was very protected by everyone around him, has been poor to say the least.

Eh, I don't agree. The only volumes the article spoke to me was that Jason Whitlock cared more about writing an article that would get people to discuss it than he did writing an article worth discussing.There are nuggets of truth in there. There's enough that someone could even write a really good article on the topic. Maybe someone will, because this surely wasn't it.

:thumbup: on the topic.

:thumbdown: on sensational journalism trying to oversell the topic.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread