What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vince Young's fav target? (1 Viewer)

49ersFan

Footballguy
Now that Young is the Titans solid starter who does everyone think will be his favorite target, David Givens or Brandon Jones?

There's a little Brandon Jones buzz going around the forum. I think that any VY's favorite target is only going to be a low WR3 anyways...

what a bunch of junk. they should have gone after meachem or bowe. they also need to be looking for some kind of vetern presence.

Jones seems like the best bet - he caught HUGE 4th quarter TDs in the stirring wins over the Giants, Indy, and Buffalo.

Ben Troupe
He's not even the favored target at tight end.I'll go with a darkhorse: Chris Davis - he's the only guy on the roster who looks like a natural fit in the slot.
He'll fill Wade's role well.You want a real darkhorse? Jonathan Orr. He's got the physical ability, and the team has liked him enough to keep him around. Ill be listening very closely for minicamp and training camp reports about him.

If Givens is healthy, I would expect him to be the favorite, but I imagine his ADP will be lower than Jones.

Too many options, not enough yards to go around. I'm staying away from this mess.

If Givens is healthy, I would expect him to be the favorite, but I imagine his ADP will be lower than Jones.Too many options, not enough yards to go around. I'm staying away from this mess.
Givens is not on track to be ready for camp. Lots of options though.

what about Roby, or Roydell Williams. or are those guys just fodder cause they just drafted a bunch of 3rd round bumms to replace these 3rd round bumms???

Ben Troupe
He's not even the favored target at tight end.I'll go with a darkhorse: Chris Davis - he's the only guy on the roster who looks like a natural fit in the slot.
He'll fill Wade's role well.You want a real darkhorse? Jonathan Orr. He's got the physical ability, and the team has liked him enough to keep him around. Ill be listening very closely for minicamp and training camp reports about him.
My favorite observation from when we scouted Orr at the '06 Shrine Game: 'At one point, a coach who couldn’t strip him clapped his hands and shouted, “Ooooh! Strong hands on this one, boy!”'He was hot-hot-hot in practices at the Shrine Game, and if he's healthy and a bit better at running routes after a year of practice work, I like Orr's chances to contribute.

what about Roby, or Roydell Williams. or are those guys just fodder cause they just drafted a bunch of 3rd round bumms to replace these 3rd round bumms???
I do not know what happened with Roby. That kid had a pretty impressive resume coming out of college. Williams was very, very, very raw and was going to need a lot of extra work to develop at the pro level. Williams not making it is not so shocking. Roby, well, that is a moderate bust. Wish each the best in camp but it is not looking good. Young will be the hottest FF topic this year. You either like the guy or you do not. The discussion has been ongoing since his junior year at UT but no need to digress. Depending on your feelings about Young, either get B. Jones or Scaife or do not draft a Titan WR.Jones' rookie season coming along nicely before he hurt himself against the Cardinals. He had just caught about a 40-50 yard score in that game. If memory serves, he got hurt within the next 2 offensive series. Considering he was only a year removed from a knee injury, Jones did not look half bad late last year with a rookie QB. (As a sidenote, keep tabs on M. Bradley in Bears camp. His injury was far worse but he made a slight recovery last year too. He should take another step forward this season.) Jones will play over the middle. He will do the dirty work. He has decent...not great hands...and he is an above average route runner. He can used in multiple ways in the passing game. For an opposite think about a player with poor to bad hands with great straight line speed that can essentially run the post; skinny post, fade and fly...your D. Stallworth, Lelei types. Jones' game is deeper than that and he will have a better year than expected. Due to Young's maturation or lack thereof in the passing game, I think Scaife might be a nice choice in a TE mandatory league especially if there is a bonus for PPR. B. Troupe...Biggest tease at TE this side of the homecoming queen?

If Givens is healthy, I would expect him to be the favorite, but I imagine his ADP will be lower than Jones.Too many options, not enough yards to go around. I'm staying away from this mess.
I agree, I won`t have a Titan WR on my team this year. Unless Jones is there real late.

Hope not yet, I still have one more dynasty rookie draft coming up. :o
any particular reason you love Williams?
Isn't it obvious? Because we drafted him! :tfp:
Who's this "Bloom" guy? Is he new around here? :nerd:

Fluid athlete with great body control, catches with his hands well, has great timing on jump balls and ability to get position vs DBs in traffic, very good speed to stretch the field, better explosion after the catch, good size at 6'2". Had he not missed so much time last year I think he would have been drafted in the 2nd round, possibly late 1st. Make no mistakes, this is an elite athlete. If it was not for the death of his brother (died from a football injury), we maybe talking about him as one of the top 3 WR prospects in this draft. Williams is athletic enough to play CB in the NFL not just WR. Unfortunately, that may be where he would rather play as a matter of fact. The death of his brother still looms. If he can get things right emotionally and in his head, he has the potential to be a WR1 in the NFL IMO. Great cheap buy with insane potential.Paul Williams

Fluid athlete with great body control, catches with his hands well, has great timing on jump balls and ability to get position vs DBs in traffic, very good speed to stretch the field, better explosion after the catch, good size at 6'2". Had he not missed so much time last year I think he would have been drafted in the 2nd round, possibly late 1st. Make no mistakes, this is an elite athlete. If it was not for the death of his brother (died from a football injury), we maybe talking about him as one of the top 3 WR prospects in this draft. Williams is athletic enough to play CB in the NFL not just WR. Unfortunately, that may be where he would rather play as a matter of fact. The death of his brother still looms. If he can get things right emotionally and in his head, he has the potential to be a WR1 in the NFL IMO. Great cheap buy with insane potential.

Paul Williams
I agree with everything you said about Williams athletically - he does look like a first round WR athlete. His effort and execution was so spotty that I just wonder whether that can change dramatically now. You speak about his brother's death as the source of his "head" problems - do you have any firsthand knowledge of this? I've heard it speculated as the cause, and even speculated myself, but I haven't found any place where Paul himself talks about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fluid athlete with great body control, catches with his hands well, has great timing on jump balls and ability to get position vs DBs in traffic, very good speed to stretch the field, better explosion after the catch, good size at 6'2". Had he not missed so much time last year I think he would have been drafted in the 2nd round, possibly late 1st. Make no mistakes, this is an elite athlete. If it was not for the death of his brother (died from a football injury), we maybe talking about him as one of the top 3 WR prospects in this draft. Williams is athletic enough to play CB in the NFL not just WR. Unfortunately, that may be where he would rather play as a matter of fact. The death of his brother still looms. If he can get things right emotionally and in his head, he has the potential to be a WR1 in the NFL IMO. Great cheap buy with insane potential.

Paul Williams
I agree with everything you said about Williams athletically - he does look like a first round WR athlete. His effort and execution was so spotty that I just wonder whether that can change dramatically now. You speak about his brother's death as the source of his "head" problems - do you have any firsthand knowledge of this? I've heard it speculated as the cause, and even speculated myself, but I haven't found any place where Paul himself talks about this.
I've never heard him saying anything 1st hand. Only that just about everyone seems to speculate that this is the reason he at times seems to have a disconnect for football at times. Having played football several years of my life, I can understand how he would feel this way, but really I'm only offering my opinion. The great thing about Williams is that he can be had so cheap. So really, it shouldn't matter if he "bust" or not. I recently drafted Williams at 2.13 in a 14 team rookie draft. College players are held in this league, so in reality that is like 3.13 or about player 35-40 overall (when you add in the other college players drafted).

:banned:

I love the guy because he has the physical talent to do anything he wants. The only question I had was if he head was in the right place. You gave some good words about him, and I heard a few interviews (one that you directed me to and one recently on NFL radio) that makes me think he really wants to excel as a Titan.

Paul Williams
I've never heard him saying anything 1st hand. Only that just about everyone seems to speculate that this is the reason he at times seems to have a disconnect for football at times. Having played football several years of my life, I can understand how he would feel this way, but really I'm only offering my opinion. The great thing about Williams is that he can be had so cheap. So really, it shouldn't matter if he "bust" or not. I recently drafted Williams at 2.13 in a 14 team rookie draft. College players are held in this league, so in reality that is like 3.13 or about player 35-40 overall (when you add in the other college players drafted).

:banned:
Well VY has a track record of getting the best out of his teammates, so this is not a bad bandwagon to be driving. Paul mostly seemed like a good kid at the Shrine Game and Senior Bowl, although he did celebrate in practice once and also showboated on a TD in the Shrine Game, so there's some immaturity there.Also, I'll reiterate Cecil's point that I echo - at the Shrine Game, next to guys like Filani, Jarrett Hicks, and Jerard Rabb, he looked amazing, but he looked more ordinary next to the WRs at the Senior Bowl.

Hope not yet, I still have one more dynasty rookie draft coming up. :lmao:
I love him (and drafted him in Red Dog) because he's usually the only WR left on the draft boards by the late 2nd round who has the potential to be an elite fantasy WR. He could obviously end up a flop, but with that potential why not take a shot?

It wasn't just Paul Williams' brother, but also both parents. Here is an article I found.

In the midst of his preparations for the 2007 NFL Draft, Fresno State wide receiver Paul Williams has heard scouts question whether or not he is truly committed to playing on offense. An amiable and fun-loving sort, Williams has probably found it funny that they would be so…specific.

You see, it wasn’t long ago that Williams questioned his own desire to play football at all, regardless position.

It was a natural and understandable reaction. Williams was a junior at Avenal High School in tiny Avenal, California when his brother, Curtis Williams, suffered a horrible accident while playing for the University of Washington Huskies. Paul was actually in the stands to witness Curtis attempt a goal-line tackle on Stanford fullback Kerry Carter only to sustain a spinal-cord injury that would leave him paralyzed. Nineteen months later, Curtis Williams died of complications from that injury.

Paul, the youngest of five boys and three girls in the Williams clan, was devastated, of course. His family had a long athletic history – older brother J.D. played cornerback on the Buffalo Bills’ four Super Bowl teams – but Curtis was the closest brother to him in age. That injury to Curtis in October of 2000 almost made Paul give up the game.

“At first it did,” he admitted. “But after talking with him when he was paralyzed, he wanted to watch me play. So I’ve been playing ever since. I didn’t want to play at first; in my senior year I was going to call it quits. But he was like, ‘No, I love to watch you play.’ So he’s watching me play now.”

Paul eventually chose Fresno State, where J.D. played, over Washington, where he would have felt as if he were accepted for the wrong reasons. It didn’t necessarily click for the youngest Williams player at FSU, either; he languished on the depth chart, played some at safety and cornerback and gave off the impression that he wasn’t interested in offense.

But he is at heart an upbeat guy, which shined through at his interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine in late February. He has reasons to have a heavy heart – just months after Curtis’ death, Williams mother passed away due to Alzheimer’s disease and his father died of a heart attack – but he still smiles big and says he “loves to have fun.”

And he still loves the game. He wants to follow J.D.’s path into the NFL in order to fulfill the dreams that were stripped from Curtis on one fateful play.

“[Curtis’ death] inspired me to go on and make it this far,” said Williams. “Not a lot of people make it even this far. As long as I know he’s up there still watching, I can do anything.”

Most especially, Paul Williams can deal with adversity. Maybe that’s why he seemed so at ease at the combine podium, despite the fact that he was in the middle of a week that could determine his draft position and earn or cost him millions of dollars. When you have one brother who has already traversed the NFL landscape and can offer the ultimate level of advice, and another who taught you how quickly everything can be taken away, you have an easy understanding of both ends of the football spectrum.

“I’ve learned to take everything in stride,” said Williams. “You can’t control what happens, so just deal with it to the best of your ability.”

http://www.buccaneers.com/draft/draftmain....amp;newsid=5691

Otis said:
Brandon Jones by a good margin.
Sell high.As for the Paul Williams love? It seems such a good situation for a rook WR to go to, but his draft profile on nfl.com is pretty damning on the kid.

For those who couldn't be bothered with the whole thing, it concludes with:

Compares To: Ken Lucas, Carolina -- Williams just does not impress as a receiver, as you can plainly see he is not happy on offense … With his previous experience and family bloodlines on defense, he would be better served playing cornerback, but needs to sit down and do a gut-check to see if he has the heart to play the game.
After hearing about his troubles I really hope he makes it though.

Brandon Jones.

He's had time to fully recover from the injury. Tenn. went after Givens for a reason. Played well at the end of 06/07 just as VY was taking off. Has the opportunity.

:banned: Talking to him I can say I only sensed a good kid. When I flat out asked him how he would answer his critics, he said they have every right to criticize him for being inconsistent and that he was hurt last year, and the team was losing... they have every right.

Thats why we grimaced when we saw him just tune out on a play. He has transcendent ability and he knows how to use it, but his lapses will be inexcusable at the next level. There's a fundamental inner focus that is not there, we'll see if he finds it.

rabidfireweasel said:
grind said:
Ben Troupe
I don't see Troupe getting many more targets per game than Scaife, just as he rarely got more targets per game than Kinney.
Seems to me that Scaife and Troupe are the top receiving targets this year. If one gets injured, the other will excel.

rabidfireweasel said:
grind said:
Ben Troupe
I don't see Troupe getting many more targets per game than Scaife, just as he rarely got more targets per game than Kinney.
Seems to me that Scaife and Troupe are the top receiving targets this year. If one gets injured, the other will excel.
I make you mostly correct (although I'd substitute "become preferred" to "excel"), though I think that Davis will have something to say about that. From what I've heard of him (and the little bits that I've seen), he'll need to work more on terminology than route running in the Titans offense, and he seems slippery enough to find the holes from the slot.But, then, I'm only concerned in the Titan's results, not FF. :hide:

:popcorn: Talking to him I can say I only sensed a good kid. When I flat out asked him how he would answer his critics, he said they have every right to criticize him for being inconsistent and that he was hurt last year, and the team was losing... they have every right.

Thats why we grimaced when we saw him just tune out on a play. He has transcendent ability and he knows how to use it, but his lapses will be inexcusable at the next level. There's a fundamental inner focus that is not there, we'll see if he finds it.
It seems as though that is the concensus, but if he does find it what are the chances of him ditching offense and playing D?That was a pretty solid statement in the draft profile.

:rolleyes: Talking to him I can say I only sensed a good kid. When I flat out asked him how he would answer his critics, he said they have every right to criticize him for being inconsistent and that he was hurt last year, and the team was losing... they have every right.

It seems as though that is the concensus, but if he does find it what are the chances of him ditching offense and playing D?That was a pretty solid statement in the draft profile.
I asked Bloom that same question, and he said he was confident he'd play offense. here's the post

:yawn: Talking to him I can say I only sensed a good kid. When I flat out asked him how he would answer his critics, he said they have every right to criticize him for being inconsistent and that he was hurt last year, and the team was losing... they have every right.

I asked Bloom that same question, and he said he was confident he'd play offense. here's the post
:thumbdown: Cheers dude.

PFW scout book reported he has been diagnosed as clinically depressed (only place i found that)...

very sad story about his brother...

maybe drive to success to honor & as tribute to his brother's memory can be a positive source of motivation...

physically, he is impressive enough that coyle chose chad johnson as his comp player in his scouting guide...

his highlights really jumped out at me during draft coverage... on some of his plays he reminded me of what the hoopster larry johnson looked like when he was a man among boys at UNLV, & would sometimes be head & shoulders above his opponents before snatching the ball out of the air on rebounds... innate timing & hops to effortlessly highpoint the ball, & seems to have that jordan-esque, gravity-defying ability to hang in the air... i think fisher said he had the longest arms in the draft, but maybe he meant for his position, among WRs...

may be no more than a WR3-4, if that, but if things break right, he has the natural athleticism & talent to be more...

there is a risk that he could end up at DB... no idea how big, i'm guessing not very...

Users who are viewing this thread