What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vincent Jackson (2 Viewers)

Another thing to consider. With Sproles down (dag nab it), the coaches are talking about having Parker return punts. Parker is somewhat frail to begin with. Having him return punts seems like a sure fire way to hasten his yearly soujurn on IR, possibly having him make multiple trips.

That means stock up for Jackson.

Think about it.

Vincent Jackson has been hospitalized since Saturday night with a bruised chest.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer wouldn't expand on Jackson's condition. Jackson was injured in Saturday night's exhibition win over the Green Bay Packers.

``He is still in the hospital but everything seems to be going smoothly and he should be out of the hospital no later than tomorrow,'' Schottenheimer said. ``He has some type of compression injury to his chest, but they expect him to be back and not be any long-term consequence.

Jackson, who caught three passes for 59 yards as a rookie last year, is being penciled in as the No. 3 receiver behind Keenan McCardell and Eric Parker. Neither McCardell (hamstring) nor Parker (thumb) practiced Tuesday, leaving the Chargers thin at wideout.

Vincent Jackson has been hospitalized since Saturday night with a bruised chest.Coach Marty Schottenheimer wouldn't expand on Jackson's condition. Jackson was injured in Saturday night's exhibition win over the Green Bay Packers.``He is still in the hospital but everything seems to be going smoothly and he should be out of the hospital no later than tomorrow,'' Schottenheimer said. ``He has some type of compression injury to his chest, but they expect him to be back and not be any long-term consequence.Jackson, who caught three passes for 59 yards as a rookie last year, is being penciled in as the No. 3 receiver behind Keenan McCardell and Eric Parker. Neither McCardell (hamstring) nor Parker (thumb) practiced Tuesday, leaving the Chargers thin at wideout.
This scares the hell out of me. Sounds more like a bruised lung or heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Rivers at QB I wonder if any receiver in S.D has any fantasy life left? Remember Eli's first year as a starter? Shockey was only usefull receiver that year in NY and he had a bad year.

I am downgradeing all S.D offense for this year.

My biggest question is L.T holding a top 5 RB rank and Gates being able to maintain top TE rank. My thoughts are both are in jeapordy.
Eli was a rookie and Rivers is in his 3rd year.
I want to elaborate a little bit on that, because I think a lot of message boarders have the same sort of misconception Buckeyedawgs has.When a QB is a rookie, everything is new. It's not just a matter of not having started a game. The speed of the NFL game is a hard thing to get used to for rookie QBs, as well as the complexity of the defenses, a playbook which is generally more extensive than at the college level (even if it isn't, it is certainly new), adjusting to new coaches and WRs, and a whole lot of other things.

A 3rd year QB, even if he hasn't been starting, has had an opportunity to adjust to many of these changes. Rivers hasn't been in a closet for the last two years just because we haven't seen him in a game. An actual game is 3 hours once a week. NFL players live football 6 days a week. While Eli Manning had the benefit of a few months to learn the plays, adjust to the speed of play, adjust to defenses, work with his teammates, etc., Rivers will have had two additional years of mini-camps, and training camps, and preseason games, and in-season practices/classroom/film study, to become ready. I find it odd that many fans don't seem to grasp this difference.

While game experience certainly brings the education to a new level, Rivers is in no way at the same level as a rookie. Most QBs who sit their rookie year come in and do fine their 2nd year (if they are going to be any good at all). Palmer was a recent example. Rivers, with 2 years' experience, should be just fine in 2006 if he is NFL starter material. If he fails miserably, it will be because he is someone who can't cut it at this level, not because it's his first year starting.
On that note as well, Alex Smith has been looking like a new man in his 2nd year (although this is preseason). He's been playing much better against first team defenses than he has all of last year, which is encouraging.

Out for the rest of the preseason with scratched lung. It apparently happened on his first touchdown catch that was overturned.

Too bad, he appeared to be on the verge. I view Rivers as the type of QB that will throw for a ton of yardage/TD's, maybe not this season, but in the near future. Who is going to step up now?

Out for the rest of the preseason with scratched lung. It apparently happened on his first touchdown catch that was overturned.
Seems like he's fine and could play the last preseason game.Full story:Lung scratch scratches JacksonChargers WR likely to sit out exhibitionsBy Kevin AceeSTAFF WRITERAugust 17, 2006Receiver Vincent Jackson returned to the Chargers' facility yesterday, declaring his scratched lung “is not that serious” but acknowledging he could well miss the rest of the preseason.“It's possible we're looking at (playing) the last preseason game,” he said. “If the coaches think I don't have anything to gain or too much to lose, I'll just be ready for (the season opener at) Oakland.” Jackson was released from the hospital Tuesday after two nights there. He said a device was placed down his throat to stimulate healing where the scratch was. His voice retained a nasal sound yesterday, a result of the excess air remaining in his throat, he said.“There will be no long-term effects, no breathing problems,” Jackson said. “It's just sore.”Jackson suffered the scratch in Saturday's exhibition opener when his rib hit his lung. But he still doesn't know how it happened.“It could have been on that dolly,” he said, referring to the hand truck he mowed down after making a reception just outside the end zone in the first quarter.Initially ruled a touchdown, that reception was negated by a replay review. Jackson made a diving catch in the end zone two plays later and finished the night with four receptions for 46 yards. He did not leave the game until the end of the first half, when the rest of the starters also departed.He said he left the field after the touchdown catch and complained of a sore shoulder. But he decided to continue playing. He made two third-down catches on the Chargers' 18-play touchdown drive in the second quarter. Jackson said he was not aware of any injury until seeing his neck in a mirror after the game.“I'm on the sideline chilling (during the second half),” he said. “I went in the locker room after the game was over. My neck was a lot bigger than normal. I was like, 'What the hell?' ”Team medical personnel suggested he be taken to the emergency room.Jackson is expected to be a significant part of the offense this season. His performance Saturday was considered a strong stride toward that end, as he missed much of last season recovering from nagging leg injuries.“I don't think he'll be set back at all,” coach Marty Schottenheimer said of Jackson missing the next few weeks. “I think it was evident the other night; he's made really good progress. He's learning how to focus on one play and not get ahead of himself. . . . He's matured as a player.”

Users who are viewing this thread