What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Volek (1 Viewer)

higgins

Footballguy
I’m assuming that VYoung gets drafted by Tennessee, and that McNair stays on for a couple more years to groom the kid. Has there been any word on what happens with Volek? I believe he’s signed thru next year –has there been any trade speculation?

Jets make a ton of sense with heimerdinger there and volek already having experience in his offense.

Bloom has a point, and I have been saying the same for a while too.Additionally, the Miami Dolphins are a possibility seeing as how they've made no secret about their desire to upgrade that position.Edited to add:Also, the Arizona Cardinals have been mentioned before as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll throw this out even though I don't think it makes a lot of sense. Dallas. There has been some mention in the media. But again, I don't think it makes much sense. :shrug:

Bloom has a point, and I have been saying the same for a while too.

Additionally, the Miami Dolphins are a possibility seeing as how they've made no secret about their desire to upgrade that position.

Edited to add:

Also, the Arizona Cardinals have been mentioned before as well.
Detroit has also appeared in the rumor gravy.

Additionally, the Miami Dolphins are a possibility seeing as how they've made no secret about their desire to upgrade that position.

Edited to add:

Big talk on Volek for the Lions. If they do not want to pay the price for Phily Simms Jr. then Volek is a reasonable option. Plus he will be a great addition to a solid franchise kind of like adding gravy to a bowl of soup.

Edited to add:

Big talk on Volek for the Lions. If they do not want to pay the price for Phily Simms Jr. then Volek is a reasonable option. Plus he will be a great addition to a solid franchise kind of like adding gravy to a bowl of soup.
Although I agree Volek would be a nice addition to the Lions, I just can't bring myself to agree with adding gravy to soup.That's just plain wrong.

:D

Edited to add:

Although I agree Volek would be a nice addition to the Lions, I just can't bring myself to agree with adding gravy to soup.That's just plain wrong.

:D
I thought the same thing.

IF the Titans get a QB -- and frankly, that is becoming more questionable as the rumors have HOU taking Young and NO taking Leinart -- then it is almost a certainty that Volek will be traded. If a new contract gets done for McNair in addition to drafting a QB it will make it a sure thing that Volek is dealt.I wish the Titans could pull off a draft day scenario of giving up the #3 and Volek for a quality LB/Safety and that teams mid teen first rounder. (Then draft Cutler).Edit to say: That would be like adding gravy to mashed potatos.

I cant wait to see the disappointment on the face of the fans who's team trades for Volek.
The Lions probably will and Volek will pull another "Scott Mitchell" on them... Top of the league one year and then too fat to move the next. (That's what a big paycheck does for those back-ups who become starters in Detroit)

I cant wait to see the disappointment on the face of the fans who's team trades for Volek.
The Lions probably will and Volek will pull another "Scott Mitchell" on them... Top of the league one year and then too fat to move the next. (That's what a big paycheck does for those back-ups who become starters in Detroit)
I've been over this in many threads, but Volek has never been close to "above average" let alone "top of the world".I don't know how much non-Titans fans have seen of him, but hes not a guy Id want starting for any length of time.

IF the Titans get a QB -- and frankly, that is becoming more questionable as the rumors have HOU taking Young and NO taking Leinart -- then it is almost a certainty that Volek will be traded. If a new contract gets done for McNair in addition to drafting a QB it will make it a sure thing that Volek is dealt.

I wish the Titans could pull off a draft day scenario of giving up the #3 and Volek for a quality LB/Safety and that teams mid teen first rounder. (Then draft Cutler).

Edit to say: That would be like adding gravy to mashed potatos.
:thumbup:

Edited to add:

Hey, I know. Detroit can take Marcus Vick in the 1st to convert him to a WR and continue THAT thread. When that doesn't work, they can put him back at QB. Build a decent O-line, and wish they still had Harrington.

I’m assuming that VYoung gets drafted by Tennessee, and that McNair stays on for a couple more years to groom the kid. Has there been any word on what happens with Volek? I believe he’s signed thru next year –has there been any trade speculation?
:thumbdown: so, what you are saying, is that just because steve mcnair tutors vince young, that Tenn is automatically going to draft young, that they'll throw their millions of dollars around on a guy that steve mcnair swears by or recommends?? lol..

get real, man. Tenn will take what THEY feel is in their best interest, NOT in steve mcnair's best interest. I think Jeff Fisher knows a bit more about football than steve mcnair does..

McNair has 1 year left most likely, and then what? does he stay around and coach for the next 10 years, tutoring Young, or does Mcnair pack up his things, and move out of state, say, to Florida?? I f McNair stays around, how much money is he going to cost the Titans as a backup? is it financially possible to fit him under the cap ???

then what happens next? does McNair say "great job, you've done well and selected Vince Young, I'm outta here next year!!" and then retires and disappears..

Tenn needs a RB, they also need a LB that can stop the run, AJ Hawk would be perfect. They could also use a bookend LT like Brick Ferguson..

With the Titans OC being Norm Chow, who has actually COACHED players like White, Bush, Leinhart, I'd bet the farm that Tenn tries to listen to Chow more than McNair, and select either of the three in the first round..

but to think they'll take Young simply because an aging has-been QB was tutoring him for the past two years, is senseless...

:thumbdown: so, what you are saying, is that just because steve mcnair tutors vince young, that Tenn is automatically going to draft young, that they'll throw their millions of dollars around on a guy that steve mcnair swears by or recommends?? lol..

get real, man. Tenn will take what THEY feel is in their best interest, NOT in steve mcnair's best interest. I think Jeff Fisher knows a bit more about football than steve mcnair does..

McNair has 1 year left most likely, and then what? does he stay around and coach for the next 10 years, tutoring Young, or does Mcnair pack up his things, and move out of state, say, to Florida?? I f McNair stays around, how much money is he going to cost the Titans as a backup? is it financially possible to fit him under the cap ???

then what happens next? does McNair say "great job, you've done well and selected Vince Young, I'm outta here next year!!" and then retires and disappears..

Tenn needs a RB, they also need a LB that can stop the run, AJ Hawk would be perfect. They could also use a bookend LT like Brick Ferguson..

With the Titans OC being Norm Chow, who has actually COACHED players like White, Bush, Leinhart, I'd bet the farm that Tenn tries to listen to Chow more than McNair, and select either of the three in the first round..

but to think they'll take Young simply because an aging has-been QB was tutoring him for the past two years, is senseless...
No kidding?!?!? Thanks for adding to the conversation, ool – please feel free to add some value to a thread whenever you feel the need to impress us with your acumen.If you notice from my original post, I was assuming that IF the Titans drafted Young ( which they are rumored to be very interested in doing), and IF McNair re-signs (which he is rumored to be very interested in doing), then what may happen to Volek? You see, for dynasty leagues in the offseason, that may be interesting to some.

ool…

IF the Titans get a QB -- and frankly, that is becoming more questionable as the rumors have HOU taking Young and NO taking Leinart -- then it is almost a certainty that Volek will be traded. If a new contract gets done for McNair in addition to drafting a QB it will make it a sure thing that Volek is dealt.

I wish the Titans could pull off a draft day scenario of giving up the #3 and Volek for a quality LB/Safety and that teams mid teen first rounder. (Then draft Cutler).

Edit to say: That would be like adding gravy to mashed potatos.
:goodposting: I guess??? I'm a Nashvillian who watched several Vandy games.. and I have concerns about Cutler, Not because of his ability but don't franchise quarterbacks make their teams better or even their Wrs better?? I think Cutler won around 17 games for his career..not certain of actual won/loss record but I wouldn't get excited because his decision making is suspect. Good Arm, good pocket awareness, good size..good qb??????????????? but I am a UT fan..Tennessee that is :D

Fisher does not make the decisions either...Floyd Reese does.They do not "need" an RB...especially not in the 1st...unless Bush somehow falls to that 3rd pick.

And it is not only McNair around here who is high on Young. Even before the Rose Bowl those rumors were around here flying with much talk about McNair involved.

I do not see Hawk coming here with Bulluck already firmly entrenched. Need a safety more than an LB...OT is a big one as well. If Young was not coming out, I expected them to take Brick...

But senseless is assuming that anyone thinks they will take Young just because of McNair. Nobody is saying that at all.

It's nice that you all have big aspirations for Volek, but I'm not so sure that "real" football does.He was a free agent last year and essentially got no interest from other franchises for a starting job. His best option became going to Buffalo as a backup to Losman with a chance to perhaps compete for the job (a role later filled by Kelly Holcomb).Having no other options, he re-signed with the Titans.Since 31 other teams could have had him for a song without giving anything up to get him, I can't see how a year later he is so in demand and a great option to other franchises when now they would have to part with something to get him, especially since Volek didn't get a chance to do much on the field this year.

It's nice that you all have big aspirations for Volek, but I'm not so sure that "real" football does.

He was a free agent last year and essentially got no interest from other franchises for a starting job. His best option became going to Buffalo as a backup to Losman with a chance to perhaps compete for the job (a role later filled by Kelly Holcomb).

Having no other options, he re-signed with the Titans.

Since 31 other teams could have had him for a song without giving anything up to get him, I can't see how a year later he is so in demand and a great option to other franchises when now they would have to part with something to get him, especially since Volek didn't get a chance to do much on the field this year.
David, Nothing about the above post is correct.

Volek was a FA two years ago, and got interest from the Bills as a backup to DREW BLEDSOE, and from ATL as a backup to VICK.

He opted to sign a 3(iirc) year deal to remain with the Titans instead.

No one had a chance to pursue him this past offseason as a FA, and the Titans were unwilling to trade him.

It's nice that you all have big aspirations for Volek, but I'm not so sure that "real" football does.

He was a free agent last year and essentially got no interest from other franchises for a starting job.  His best option became going to Buffalo as a backup to Losman with a chance to perhaps compete for the job (a role later filled by Kelly Holcomb).

Having no other options, he re-signed with the Titans.

Since 31 other teams could have had him for a song without giving anything up to get him, I can't see how a year later he is so in demand and a great option to other franchises when now they would have to part with something to get him, especially since Volek didn't get a chance to do much on the field this year.
David, Nothing about the above post is correct.

Volek was a FA two years ago, and got interest from the Bills as a backup to DREW BLEDSOE, and from ATL as a backup to VICK.

He opted to sign a 3(iirc) year deal to remain with the Titans instead.

No one had a chance to pursue him this past offseason as a FA, and the Titans were unwilling to trade him.
Either way, Volek was not getting much play for being a starter. Volek had already had several big games for the Titans. I'moff by a year, and Buffalo couldn't sign Volek and almost a few weeks later drafted Losman instead.Maybe he is more in demand this time around, but he really had a hard time geting a team to think of him as starter material back then.

Volek was a FA two years ago, and got interest from the Bills as a backup to DREW BLEDSOE, and from ATL as a backup to VICK. He opted to sign a 3(iirc) year deal to remain with the Titans instead.
I cannot remember all the specifics, but I seem to remember that Volek opted to resign with TN rather quickly, and there was a lot of people scratching their heads as to why he didn't hang around a bit longer on the market to see if something opened up stater wise. I could've sworn TN threw a lot of dough his way to backup McNair, and I think the prevailing theory at the time was that they wanted him to succeed McNair, which is why he stayed.Now Volek might not turn out to be that great, sure, but he's an interesting fantasy prospect in the right situation.

From another thread:
Chow prefers mobile QBs. He had Steve Young at BYU and a host of very agile QBs through the years. He preferred Cassel to Leinart in a very public competition post Palmer at USC. Cassel was the better athlete. He was even quoted saying Booty had the best camp and the best all-around QB skills. Carroll insisted they go with Leinart because Matt was the most familiar with the system. That was a history changing QB competition in retrospect.

BUT, the idea of Young is Chow's system is very very interesting. He really loves the mobile guys. He rolled out Palmer all the time. Leinart just isn't very good on the move.

The big caveat here is I expect Chow to petition the Titans HARD for Reggie Bush, who he calls the best football player he has ever known. Of course, Chow as an OC couldn't pick his starter at SC, and he isn't going to make draft decision for the Titans either, but Bush or Young make a lot of sense to me if they are in position.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...=211683&hl=chow

From another thread:
Chow prefers mobile QBs. He had Steve Young at BYU and a host of very agile QBs through the years. He preferred Cassel to Leinart in a very public competition post Palmer at USC. Cassel was the better athlete. He was even quoted saying Booty had the best camp and the best all-around QB skills. Carroll insisted they go with Leinart because Matt was the most familiar with the system. That was a history changing QB competition in retrospect.

BUT, the idea of Young is Chow's system is very very interesting. He really loves the mobile guys. He rolled out Palmer all the time. Leinart just isn't very good on the move.

The big caveat here is I expect Chow to petition the Titans HARD for Reggie Bush, who he calls the best football player he has ever known. Of course, Chow as an OC couldn't pick his starter at SC, and he isn't going to make draft decision for the Titans either, but Bush or Young make a lot of sense to me if they are in position.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...=211683&hl=chow
This statement is just not true and an example of misleading statements as fact. Chow selected Leinart and was public about his choice. Chow made positive comments on all of his QB's that preseason to probably instill a sense of competition for the job. It was a tough battle and Matt won. To think Chow was not on board is simply naive.

Users who are viewing this thread