What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Volkswagen lease? Never again (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will you be paying sales tax on the buyout value and if so, how much?

I'm curious if the sales tax is $1800.  If so, I bet that was factored into the VW quote to Carmax and Carmax didn't want to get stuck paying it.  By you buying the car from VW, you take care of that problem for them.  Would Carmax up their bid to you in a private sale to help offset the tax hit?
$6XX is the tax. Carmax won't up the offer. The problem was not Carmax, VW was asking for an insane amount.

Geez, what a mess.   Leases and car payments are stupid.

Buy new or slightly used in cash, hold ten to fifteen years, repeat.

Seriously. Used cars have never had better value.  All the latest tech is baked in and nothing is out on the horizon for a decade (automatic driving).  Car styling has gotten homogeneous as well.  

Buy a car off some sucker that traded in his lease too soon.

10-15 years? Sounds boring and miserable
it's 4 wheels and an engine.   As long at the car moves safely, efficiently, reliably and looks clean, who cares?

I'm on year 15 in my car,  my wife is on year 9.

The only time i think about my car is when I take it to the wash or when it needs an oil change or tire rotation

Wife just test drove an Atlas over the weekend.  What a POS. 

VW will never be getting a dime of my money.
So i'm in a position where i'm going to be finally acquiring a few newer vehicles in the year year or two..  I've never done a test drive in my life.

What can you actually look for and tell in a car in a 10-15 minute drive?

it's 4 wheels and an engine.   As long at the car moves safely, efficiently, reliably and looks clean, who cares?

I'm on year 15 in my car,  my wife is on year 9.

The only time i think about my car is when I take it to the wash or when it needs an oil change or tire rotation
  :lmao:  yeah, all cars are built exactly the same.  

So i'm in a position where i'm going to be finally acquiring a few newer vehicles in the year year or two..  I've never done a test drive in my life.

What can you actually look for and tell in a car in a 10-15 minute drive?
I would suggest going to Carmax first. I did for the SUV I ended up with (bought there as well). I sat in every type of SUV they had and I loved the feel of the RX 350. Some were just awful seats or too small. It was nice to narrow it down to the ones I’d be comfortable in and had the right room (oldest son sat in all the backs as well). Then I narrowed it down to that car and figured out what year (test drove a few), color (figured that out at Lexus dealer) and options I wanted. I’m glad I gave myself time because Carmax is good with their pictures. You could actually see which ones’s seats and dash were in great condition. I found exactly the one I wanted in Alabama and ordered it online with a PenFed loan. Easy. Some sucker leased it (I ignored anything that was in an accident) and spent $20k for 2 years and I spent 75% more and I’ve already had it for over a year and at 35k miles, I’ll have it for many more.

I also highly recommend selling your cars if you can. I always got a good amount more than trade in (like $8k instead of $4k on an Explorer). 

Some sucker leased it (I ignored anything that was in an accident) and spent $20k for 2 years and I spent 75% more and I’ve already had it for over a year and at 35k miles, I’ll have it for many more.
Do people realize that a lot of people who lease don't give a #### about $10-15k?

That's a great deal for you, but that amount of money means different things for different people.

:lmao:  yeah, all cars are built exactly the same.  
oh com'on.. i didn't say that.  obviously some car brands have a reputation for higher reliability.. such as Toyota

Some have a reputation for higher levels of opulence/comfort which might be a benefit to you if you have an unfortunate long commute or have to keep up with the Jones due to emotional insecurities.

But once you get some safety and reliability.. from there who cares

touche..  i drive such a ####ty car now that I can't imagine a test drive would sway me.. they are all going to feel nice
Yeah.  My wife gets the new cars in our house and I live with the hand-me-downs.  I could give two ####s but it does feel nice to drive the show car.

I bought my CR-V in late December and have about 4500 miles on it. Very happy I didn't lease this time around.

oh com'on.. i didn't say that.  obviously some car brands have a reputation for higher reliability.. such as Toyota

Some have a reputation for higher levels of opulence/comfort which might be a benefit to you if you have an unfortunate long commute or have to keep up with the Jones due to emotional insecurities.

But once you get some safety and reliability.. from there who cares
:lmao:  at emotional insecurities.  Do you only hang out with people who have a personality as boring as yours?  Do you not have any friends willing to let you ride in their high performance car?

I can't wait for Dentist to say that the driving experience in a 2018 M5 is exactly the same as his 2005 Accord.  The only reason people would choose the former is because they are emotionally insecure :lmao:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Volkswagen Group includes vehicles from Audi, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini and Ducati motorcycles. So, why is Volkswagen itself such a trainwreck?
Maybe it was because we had just left an Acura dealership prior, but the VW just felt cheaply made.  It was a new car and the arm rest in the back was already broken. 

Because he can?
$13k down to finance $10k seems odd to me.

36 payments of $286.32, that's why. It will be paid for in the middle of its warranty.
There are probably better auto rates from some manufacturers but I can get a PenFed rate of 2.49% for 3 years and there are 3 year CD rates over 3%. That’s over $100 per year in safe interest on $23k. Yes, I know it has to get paid each month, just showing some rates because I have no idea what your income is, etc. Also, some CDs do allow penalty free withdrawals. With that much money I’d likely find some stocks I liked but anyway, just seemed odd to put down anything on a car, especially over half, if you aren’t just paying for the whole thing in cash.

All that said, very much respect your decision because it says to me you’re being smart with your money. Most people aren’t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do people realize that a lot of people who lease don't give a #### about $10-15k?

That's a great deal for you, but that amount of money means different things for different people.
What a ##### response. My net worth is just fine right now and I can walk into a BMW dealership and buy a brand new 7 series in cash right now, can you? If you don’t care about throwing away money that’s fine, don’t be one of those idiots that tries to fake it. Most people that lease those brand new cars do it to make themselves look richer than they are. Smart wealthy people didn’t become wealthy by throwing money away, lol.

:lmao:  at emotional insecurities.  Do you only hang out with people who have a personality as boring as yours?  Do you not have any friends willing to let you ride in their high performance car?
I never thought I'd see Dentist referred to as "boring".  That's hilarious.

many of my friends are dentists.. as a species we're pretty boring.

I have a dentist friend with a camaro and one with a professionally race modified Mustang.  I've ridden in both.. it was cool.

@Dentist

1.  Do you hate being a dentist?  I think from other threads you are miserable and desperate to retire because of that.

2.  If you did something you truly loved to earn the same exact money, would you buy more expensive cars?

3.  How much money does someone need to be worth or save each month for it to be okay for them to buy a $50k car? $100k car?

10-15 years may not be optimal. 

Depending on your mileage driven this could put you in the hole.

Lately you see economists dictating a sweet spot of 2 years to 6 years old maintaining a total average of 15kmi a year.  You can hold a car to 10 years at 10kmi a year on average.  

Once you push outside that zone you are playing with fire with respect to maintenance costs eating you alive.

What a ##### response. My net worth is just fine right now and I can walk into a BMW dealership and buy a brand new 7 series in cash right now, can you? If you don’t care about throwing away money that’s fine, don’t be one of those idiots that tries to fake it. Most people that lease those brand new cars do it to make themselves look richer than they are. Smart wealthy people didn’t become wealthy by throwing money away, lol.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  ok buddy

@Dentist

1.  Do you hate being a dentist?  I think from other threads you are miserable and desperate to retire because of that.

2.  If you did something you truly loved to earn the same exact money, would you buy more expensive cars?

3.  How much money does someone need to be worth or save each month for it to be okay for them to buy a $50k car? $100k car?
1)  At one time I did.. i really did.  In fact i would say i did from 2004 to 2015 - this definitely coincides with me wanting to retire as early as possible.  Then I really got things turned around and was in a pretty great spot from 2015-early 2018.. loving my work, doing the best work I'd ever done by a long shot (and my old stuff from when i hated it was very clinically solid).    This year has kind of sucked though.. but more from a business/HR perspective.. i still am really enjoying fixing teeth.

2) I get your angle..  if I loved every minute of it and didn't equate money spent to additional days having to work would i spend more?   doubtful

3)  If you max out your 401k, backdoor roth IRA, HSA,  have NO mortgage or CC debt, can write a check for the 50-100k car, and still have a 12 month emergency fund, then knock yourself out.  I think that defines about 0.5% of people.

10-15 years may not be optimal. 

Depending on your mileage driven this could put you in the hole.

Lately you see economists dictating a sweet spot of 2 years to 6 years old maintaining a total average of 15kmi a year.  You can hold a car to 10 years at 10kmi a year on average.  

Once you push outside that zone you are playing with fire with respect to maintenance costs eating you alive.
I drive 9k a year, my wife less.

If maintenance costs were eating me alive, i'd bolt.   My maintenance costs have been less each year than 2 months of most people's car payments.

the insurance premium savings is awesome as well.

If maintenance costs were eating me alive, i'd bolt.   My maintenance costs have been less each year than 2 months of most people's car payments.

9k miles a year is fine for your approach.  

Insurance costs are nice, but at least in Texas liability is a massive portion of the bill along with Uninsured Motor provisions.   

touche..  i drive such a ####ty car now that I can't imagine a test drive would sway me.. they are all going to feel nice
Observe the small things like finishes. Cheap plastic, things that don't feel solid, cheap looking materials, etc. Check trunk space. Sit in the back seat to make sure if you take friends somewhere that there's room. Pay attention to where controls are located and make sure they're not awkward. If it has an infotainment system, make sure using it isn't a huge PITA.

Observe the small things like finishes. Cheap plastic, things that don't feel solid, cheap looking materials, etc. Check trunk space. Sit in the back seat to make sure if you take friends somewhere that there's room. Pay attention to where controls are located and make sure they're not awkward. If it has an infotainment system, make sure using it isn't a huge PITA.
good ideas.  I watch a great youtube channel called Alex on Autos to see what a car looks like and drives like and what the infotainment looks like to see which cars are even candidates

It was on par with yours, just fewer words.

I am surrounded by some of the most affluent areas in America.  I assure you $10-15k doesn't mean #### to a lot of people.
That’s awesome, how many of your friends with performance cars lease them? I’m betting most people who don’t give a #### about that kind of money can buy their cars in cash. It’s the people who can’t afford that who also want the same cars and lease them.

That’s awesome, how many of your friends with performance cars lease them? I’m betting most people who don’t give a #### about that kind of money can buy their cars in cash. It’s the people who can’t afford that who also want the same cars and lease them.
:lmao:  you have no clue what you are talking about.  

If you are only driving ~15k year total, your position makes more sense. I don't think that's realistic for most people.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread