What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Voter Suppression (3 Viewers)

Regarding North Carolina ... this is a doozy. From pages 39-40:

“The record evidence is clear that this is exactly what was done here. For example, the State argued before the district court that the General Assembly enacted changes to early voting laws to avoid ‘political gamesmanship’ with respect to the hours and locations of early voting centers. J.A. 22348. As ‘evidence of justifications’ for the changes to early voting, the State offered purported inconsistencies in voting hours across counties, including the fact that only some counties had decided to offer Sunday voting. Id. The State then elaborated on its justification, explaining that ‘[c]ounties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black’ and ‘disproportionately Democratic.’ J.A. 22348-49. In response, SL 2013-381 did away with one of the two days of Sunday voting. See N.C. State Conf., 2016 WL 1650774, at *15. Thus, in what comes as close to a smoking gun as we are likely to see in modern times, the State’s very justification for a challenged statute hinges explicitly on race -- specifically its concern that African Americans, who had overwhelmingly voted for Democrats, had too much access to the franchise.

“The record evidence is clear that this is exactly what was done here. For example, the State argued before the district court that the General Assembly enacted changes to early voting laws to avoid ‘political gamesmanship’ with respect to the hours and locations of early voting centers. J.A. 22348. As ‘evidence of justifications’ for the changes to early voting, the State offered purported inconsistencies in voting hours across counties, including the fact that only some counties had decided to offer Sunday voting. Id. The State then elaborated on its justification, explaining that ‘[c]ounties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black’ and ‘disproportionately Democratic.’ J.A. 22348-49. In response, SL 2013-381 did away with one of the two days of Sunday voting. See N.C. State Conf., 2016 WL 1650774, at *15. Thus, in what comes as close to a smoking gun as we are likely to see in modern times, the State’s very justification for a challenged statute hinges explicitly on race -- specifically its concern that African Americans, who had overwhelmingly voted for Democrats, had too much access to the franchise.
Nothing bigoted or racist about that. 

Sound like a bunch of whiny liberal activist judges. 

Everything I disagree with is Ray Siss.

They blame blacks not voting for Hillary on evil white men rather than the fact that Obama was a likeable black guy and Hillary was an insufferable white woman.

And my favorite lefty talking point "blacks are too __________ to figure out how to obtain a photo ID. 

Gimme a break. 

Maurile you are better than this. 

About those Georgia voters being "supressed"

The ‘Pending’ list (as of 10/17/18) was 75,105:

-9,224 are ‘pending’ because the person is 17.5 

-2,935 used a fake address 

-3,393 are ‘pending’ because citizenship could not be verified 

-5,842 are ‘pending’ because they match another active voter file 

After you remove underage, fake addresses, duplicates, and non-citizens, you have roughly 46,000 ‘pending’ on the list, not 53,000. 

-75% are on the list because they failed Social Security Number verification. Stacey Abrams' group New Georgia Project is responsible for 23% of those, or 11,024 voters. 

Those 11,024 voters had their registration filed in 2014 by the New Georgia Project. None of those 11,024 voters have ever attempted to vote or contact a local board of elections to provide the correct social security number. 

In other words, 75% of the people provided the wrong last four digits of their purported social security numbers and 23% were actually filed not by the voter, but by a group associated with Stacey Abrams

Last edited by a moderator:

They blame blacks not voting for Hillary on evil white men rather than the fact that Obama was a likeable black guy and Hillary was an insufferable white woman.

And my favorite lefty talking point "blacks are too __________ to figure out how to obtain a photo ID. 

Gimme a break. 

This post is pretty awful all around...but the boldest, nobody makes that claim except

peoppe trying to excuse suppressing votes.  The argument always revolves around the statistical facts of who is less likely to have ID and who is likely to have a harder time obtaining one.  

Its mot “everything I disagree with is “”Ray Sis’s”” (And seriously what in the world is that?). It’s that these attempts (primarily by the right) have typically been about suppressing the minority and poor vote. 

NFL2DF said:

Gimme a break. 

Facts are bad now?

The narrative in the quote I provided, including the portion I bolded, was undisputed. It wasn’t a case of the ACLU making an allegation and the State of North Carolina denying it. It was the State of North Carolina itself, in a court of law, explaining its rationale for closing certain polls on Sundays. It was because they wanted to suppress the black vote. From the horse’s own mouth.

I’m not better than posting undisputed facts ... because nobody is.

SoBeDad said:
It wasn't enough for Rick Scott to spend 8 years making it almost impossible for over 1 million felons to get their voting rights restored. He tried to prevent early voting on college campuses but a judge overturned the Scott administration: https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/07/24/judge-faults-state-and-approves-early-voting-on-college-university-campuses/.

Yesterday, thousands of college students participated in early voting at college campuses around the state.
The surest way to motivate people to do something is to tell them they can't. 

NFL2DF said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

Gimme a break. 

The bold came from the State's explanation for why they did what they did.  Do you think they were lying in court?

By the way...this is as good a place as any to say, I think all voting should be by mail.  This is the first time I've ever had the opportunity to vote by mail, and it was freakin awesome.  I can have the ballot sitting in front of me.  I can look up issues/candidates I am not familiar with and do a little reading and inform myself.  It was great.

By the way...this is as good a place as any to say, I think all voting should be by mail.  This is the first time I've ever had the opportunity to vote by mail, and it was freakin awesome.  I can have the ballot sitting in front of me.  I can look up issues/candidates I am not familiar with and do a little reading and inform myself.  It was great.
Yeah, even if you are required to go to the polls to actually cast your vote (to try to deter people from filling out other people's ballots) it seems to make a lot of sense to let people fill out their ballots at home first.

A racist robocall that refers to Andrew Gillum as a "negro" and a "monkey" is making the rounds in Florida, prompting a furious response from the Democratic gubernatorial candidate's campaign.

Florida voters who receive the call — audio of which was obtained by NBC News — hear a man impersonating the African-American politician.

"Well hello there. I is the negro Andrew Gillum and I'll be askin’ you to make me governor of this here state of Florida," the voice says.

“My state opponent, who done call me monkey, is doin' a lot of hollerin’ about how ‘spensive my plans for health care be,” the voice says. A chimpanzee noise is played during the word “monkey.”

A spokesperson for Gillum's campaign blasted the robocall as "disgusting" and "abhorrent."

"These disgusting, abhorrent robocalls represent a continuation of the ugliest, most divisive campaign in Florida's history," Gillum spokesman Geoff Burgan said in a statement. “We would hope that these calls, and the dangerous people who are behind them, are not given any more attention than they already have been."

A racist robocall that refers to Andrew Gillum as a "negro" and a "monkey" is making the rounds in Florida, prompting a furious response from the Democratic gubernatorial candidate's campaign.

Florida voters who receive the call — audio of which was obtained by NBC News — hear a man impersonating the African-American politician.

"Well hello there. I is the negro Andrew Gillum and I'll be askin’ you to make me governor of this here state of Florida," the voice says.

“My state opponent, who done call me monkey, is doin' a lot of hollerin’ about how ‘spensive my plans for health care be,” the voice says. A chimpanzee noise is played during the word “monkey.”

A spokesperson for Gillum's campaign blasted the robocall as "disgusting" and "abhorrent."

"These disgusting, abhorrent robocalls represent a continuation of the ugliest, most divisive campaign in Florida's history," Gillum spokesman Geoff Burgan said in a statement. “We would hope that these calls, and the dangerous people who are behind them, are not given any more attention than they already have been."
They wouldn’t do this if they didn’t think it would work to some extent.

I wonder why?

This sounds like a Democrat operative's outdated idea of what an outdated Republican operative would come up with.

Brian Kemp leaked audio from fundraiser regarding voter suppression

Brian Kemp, Georgia Secretary of State and the Republican nominee for Georgia governor, expressed at a ticketed campaign event that his Democratic opponent Stacey Abrams’ voter turnout operation “continues to concern us, especially if everybody uses and exercises their right to vote,” according to audio obtained by Rolling Stone.

An attendee of the “Georgia Professionals for Kemp” event says they recorded 21 minutes and 12 seconds of the evening, held last Friday at the Blind Pig Parlour Bar near Atlanta’s Buckhead neighborhood. As proof of their attendance, the source shared with Rolling Stone a receipt of their donation, which granted access to the gathering.

It is fairly typical for a political candidate expressing confidence in his campaign to lament his opponent’s efforts to increase turnout. But Kemp’s position as Georgia’s Secretary of State clouds his statements. While it is not uncommon for someone in such a position to be on a ballot during an election that he or she oversees — they do have to run for re-election, after all — the state’s top elections official speaking of “concern” about increased early and absentee voting raises further questions about a conflict of interest.

Kemp’s recent decision to suspend more than 53,000 voter applications, 70 percent of which were filed by black residents, for violating the state’s “exact match” verification standard has drawn attention to his penchant for restrictive voter laws and purging of voter rolls. American Public Media reported last week that Kemp purged an estimated 107,000 voters last year simply because they didn’t vote in the prior election. He is also being sued for leaving more than 6 million Georgia voting records open to hacking.

http://fortune.com/2018/10/22/lyft-voto-latino-gotv-dodge-city/?fbclid=IwAR3TFUCyXSRmGTFODVBM7HtDUoAg9SbdwFP05ml9Qrdj5UWcMlCcXgb4uyw

Less than a week after the sole polling place in Dodge City, Kansas was moved outside city limits, corporate sponsors are pledging to help voters get to the polls.

Since 2002, Dodge City had one polling place for its 27,000 residents: at the civic center. But ahead of next month’s election, officials moved it outside of the city, to a location that is more than a mile from the nearest bus stop.

The city is 60% Hispanic, a group which has historically low voter turnout rates, but is even lower in Dodge City. In a state where Hispanic voters, who tend to vote Democratic, could play a key role in the governor’s race, poor turnout could have wide implications.

NFL2DF said:
After you remove underage, fake addresses, duplicates, and non-citizens, you have roughly 46,000 ‘pending’ on the list, not 53,000. 

-75% are on the list because they failed Social Security Number verification.
Can you explain this one? I don’t think I gave my SS# to register and I don’t think you should have to.

This is an example of technicality. Look further up in your post, the SOS had already excluded everyone for being underage, having fake addresses or being non-citizens. 

Well the RNC is about to fire up the fear and anger to get out the vote.   

They are going to run on "Did you see what those libs did to Kavanaugh?"   

Those libs are going to ruin this country by letting all those caravan people Guatemala and places come into our country.  They are gonna steal our jobs, our women, rob and pillage.   

You have got to get out and vote to save America, your job, and your family.   

https://twitter.com/i/status/1054825191036125184

The left has lost the working class that they once had in their pocket. So now they are attempting to re-up with new voters. 

The bold came from the State's explanation for why they did what they did.  Do you think they were lying in court?
Was that the state's argument that African-Americans were given too much access or is that the appeals court characterizing the argument as such?  Not having read anything but the pages quoted, I would assume the State was actually arguing that Group A was given more access than Group B, thus it potentially violates the equal protection clause.  That nuance makes the argument different than how the appeals court stated it.

Was that the state's argument that African-Americans were given too much access or is that the appeals court characterizing the argument as such?  Not having read anything but the pages quoted, I would assume the State was actually arguing that Group A was given more access than Group B, thus it potentially violates the equal protection clause.  That nuance makes the argument different than how the appeals court stated it.
Read it for yourself.  It's better that way :shrug:  

The surest way to motivate people to do something is to tell them they can't. 
Nate Silver had a comment on his podcast the other day, that he is unsure if voter suppression tactics have any effect on individual races because of what you wrote. When the public hears of these tactics, and while some people may not be able to vote, it may increase turnout from others who are like wtf!

He didn't have any numbers, and he was saying that long term these tactics certainly have a negative result, but it was interesting to hear his thoughts

The state officials literally said African-Americans had too much access so they were gonna try to restrict it via legislation. Here's an article about the case.

It's weird to me that conservatives often refuse to accept that there are a ton of racists in GOP leadership despite the overwhelming evidence.

The state officials literally said African-Americans had too much access so they were gonna try to restrict it via legislation. Here's an article about the case.

It's weird to me that conservatives often refuse to accept that there are a ton of racists in GOP leadership despite the overwhelming evidence.
He's already been given the filed appeal record.  It's the raw data.  Let him read it for himself if he genuinely cares.  I don't know how you guys aren't tired of this game.

Need a subscription.  What was the literal statement and context of it.  

Need a subscription.  What was the literal statement and context of it.  
From the article:

Most strikingly, the judges point to a "smoking gun" in North Carolina's justification for the law, proving discriminatory intent. The state argued in court that "counties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black" and "disproportionately Democratic," and said it did away with Sunday voting as a result.

"Thus, in what comes as close to a smoking gun as we are likely to see in modern times, the State’s very justification for a challenged statute hinges explicitly on race — specifically its concern that African Americans, who had overwhelmingly voted for Democrats, had too much access to the franchise," the judges write in their decision.
That's the article, quoting the court, quoting the state.

Black and white, dude. Pretty simple to read what the State did there. You obviously aren't interested in removing your blinders.
You are reading into what was said.  The more logical reason is that one group is being given more opportunity to vote than another group which is unfair.   Taken to extreme, if group A is given 365 days to vote and group B is given a one-hour period to vote would that not be discriminatory?  That is black and white. 

You are reading into what was said.  The more logical reason is that one group is being given more opportunity to vote than another group which is unfair.   Taken to extreme, if group A is given 365 days to vote and group B is given a one-hour period to vote would that not be discriminatory?  That is black and white. 
Not "reading into" anything. I read the printed words of the exact statements of the State in an official court document. You?

Oh nevermind. I know what your reply will be.

Not "reading into" anything. I read the printed words of the exact statements of the State in an official court document. You?

Oh nevermind. I know what your reply will be.
Then you are not being very honest.  You are reading into what was said.  The headline was a lie.  

Users who are viewing this thread