What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire DEF's for week 1 (1 Viewer)

Marvin88

Footballguy
Looking for a waiver wire DEF for week 1 as I was virtually last to grab a DEF in the draft. Looking at the Steelers week 1. Any thoughts?

I'm going with Tampa week 1. Colts might be a decent option and might be able to get 2 weeks out of them (Mia week 2). Cleveland at home vs Miami week 1 doesn't sound awful to me.

I like the Colts because, as Steveski said, they also get Miami at home week 2. Bucs are close, but my tie breaker went to the Colts because of the week 2 matchup and the fact they are playing at home. I usually prefer to use a defense playing at home when I am going just by matchups.

Pats, Bucs, colts, then steelers.
Pats are on the wire?

Get out of the guppy leagues. I'm in 13 leagues, not one league has the pats on the wire.

Read the title, then post is what I say.
Probably not, but I got them as the 9th and 10th defense respectively in the second to last round in my two drafts this week since the Tuel news came out. I'd take them 3rd behind San Fran and Seattle right now. I will probably drop them after week 2, maybe 3, but I expect a very strong start.

I happen to think the Bucs are a top-10 fantasy defense this year, so of course I'm all over them against the circus that is the New York Jets.

Another underrated waiver wire defense to keep an eye on this year are the Carolina Panthers. New DC with an aggressive mindset has been causing loads of turnovers and touchdowns and you also get the return game of Ted Ginn to boot.

I happen to think the Bucs are a top-10 fantasy defense this year, so of course I'm all over them against the circus that is the New York Jets.
They might be, but they will be difficult to justify starting often. They will have to accumulate most of their points in just a few games. A lot of offense throughout that division plus New England, Seattle, San Fran, Detroit, and Philly on the schedule. They have significantly upgraded their defense, but in the end are they a dominant unit? or a good unit? Just a good unit will get exposed against stronger offenses.

Week 1, week 4, then consider using them as a second defense from week 10 to week 16...if they're available anyway.

Another underrated waiver wire defense to keep an eye on this year are the Carolina Panthers. New DC with an aggressive mindset has been causing loads of turnovers and touchdowns and you also get the return game of Ted Ginn to boot.
Their secondary is still awful and while I love Star and think they got a steal, he is still just a rookie. DT is a problem until proven otherwise. Like Tampa, in that division, it will be tough to utilize them much.

Their secondary is still awful and while I love Star and think they got a steal, he is still just a rookie. DT is a problem until proven otherwise. Like Tampa, in that division, it will be tough to utilize them much.
Lots of new faces on the defense. Granted playing in that division is difficult for any defense but they also play 10 games outside the division. There will be some very good matchups that I would be willing to roll the dice with the Panthers and that includes week 2 at Buffalo.

Lots of new faces on the defense. Granted playing in that division is difficult for any defense but they also play 10 games outside the division. There will be some very good matchups that I would be willing to roll the dice with the Panthers and that includes week 2 at Buffalo.
I won't trust them week 2, but I'll be watching. My problem is most of their 'good matchups' are road games. Mediocre defenses are not usually stream worthy in road games. The only game on the entire schedule that sticks out is week 15 vs. the Jets at home.

I'm rolling with the Bucs for game one. I also really like the idea of looking at the Panthers throughout the season. They'll be on a lot of waiver wires and their divisional games excepted, they might be a good value.

Well Rex Ryan took care of that problem (Sanchize) for us.
Did they announce a starter yet?
Well their choices are Sanchez who just suffered an undisclosed injury to his throwing shoulder, Greg McElroy or a rookie who looked like a deer in headlights the last time out. Personally I seriously doubt well see Sanchez week one and if we do, it could be really ugly for him as defenders will take every opportunity to "test" that shoulder to see if its really healthy. Any way you slice it, its manna for whatever defense they'll be playing for a while. I really don't think people should overthink this.

Pats, Bucs, colts, then steelers.
Pats are on the wire?

Get out of the guppy leagues. I'm in 13 leagues, not one league has the pats on the wire.

Read the title, then post is what I say.
Settle down tough guy. Pats haven't been a great defense in years past. The only reason they wouldn't be on the wire is because people drafted them knowing they'd drop them after week 2.

Tempted to pick Colts vs. Raiders but ended up drafting the Bucs (league gives bonuses for buttfumbles-returned-for-touchdowns).

Users who are viewing this thread