What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Gems - Week 10 (1 Viewer)

Not sure if this is a good move or not, but Josh  Rosen has a pretty good schedule up until week 16. It looks like they are still going to have him chuck it.  For those of us in super flex leagues who got Winstoned... Also maybe Kirk at WR. 

Josh Adams is intriguing! I'm contemplating grabbing him.

Tex

I think the Philly backfield is one to completely avoid at this point unless your in bye week hell and desperate. 4 backs now and no one is a true starter.
Totally agree. Even if Sproles wasn't returning it felt crowded. Now it's even worse. You never know who is going to have a decent week and the odds of anyone of them having a dominant #1 RB week are even slimmer now. And even if that happens you have to guess which one its gonna be and that guy will probably change week to week.

Avoid.

Totally agree. Even if Sproles wasn't returning it felt crowded. Now it's even worse. You never know who is going to have a decent week and the odds of anyone of them having a dominant #1 RB week are even slimmer now. And even if that happens you have to guess which one its gonna be and that guy will probably change week to week.

Avoid.
If Sproles returns, it’s very possible that one of Smallwood, Clement and Adams are inactive. Might still keep it a 3-legged stool,  but hardly clearer.

A late season "free-roll type play" has dawned on me and there is several of them each year, the best ones are usually on a Thursday/involving the Thursday night games.

If you guys want a free chance at a possible difference maker............... pick up  C.J. ANDERSON today if you have a bench spot available.

Its a rare situation where you get a "free gamble" at a potential difference maker late season on a Thursday night game. I usually notice a handful of them every season.

The play here is, snag C.J. ANDERSON tonight before the game starts if he is available in your league. (and you have a bench spot to sacrifice) Anderson is 11% owned in Yahoo leagues.

In the event of a CMC injury in tonight's game, you have landed a potential very strong RB play going forward.

Realize this is essentially a free shot.  If CMC doesn't get injured (and I never like for players to get hurt), then you simply drop Anderson Friday or Saturday, and snag someone else going into the weekend that may help your team, or you pick up yet another end-of-bench RB dart throw.

Note the Carolina Panthers fantasy playoff schedule.

WEEK 14 - @ CLE

WEEK 15 - vs. N.O. SAINTS

WEEK 16 - vs. ATL

One would guess CJ Anderson would be heavily utilized in the event of something happening to McCaffrey. Its not like Anderson hasn't been a good player in the past, and he is a solid pass catcher too.

Should nothing happen to McCaffrey tonight, then you can just drop Anderson, and pick up someone else for the weekend.

I do want to add, I think if you are a McCaffrey owner, now is the time to acquire Anderson in case something happens down the stretch.  But this is a good play for anyone (even non CMC owners) that has a bench roster spot to burn for the next 24-48 hours.

These plays come up a handful of times a year, I like to think of it as "the ultimate fantasy play".  It costs you essentially nothing and it rarely works out, but when it does, you might have possibly acquired yourself someone ahead of the weekend that can be a true difference maker late season for a possible playoff run. (or help you get to the playoffs)

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Most leagues you can't drop someone who already played
 Plenty of leagues you can........... provided like habsfan above said, they can't have been started. 

If they were started, then they must be held on to.

(I do realize everyone's leagues are different though)

TZM 

habsfan said:
With some you can, provided they were on your bench versus starting line-up.
The problem with the MFL software is they don't have a setting where you can allow drops and not adds once the setting do not allow add/drops after a player's game has started.  I used to allow drops of players that weren't in starting lineups after their game started but I got tired of having to manually monitor those who add players after their game has started.  Wasn't worth it.

Just grabbed Terrelle Pryor off waivers.  Yeah, he’s a shot in the dark, but Allen will be back soon and BUF figures to be playing a lot of catch up.  Someone has to catch passes and he has has a 1000+ yd season just 2 years ago.  BUF just rostered him and he led all WRs on the team in snaps last week.

Chaka said:

Avoid.
Well, it is looking like Sproles "aggravated his hamstring" and will miss Week 10.... 

So with Bye & Injury issues, is it worth a grab at Adams?  I have him, but not sure if I want to start him.... 

TZMarkie said:
 A late season "free-roll type play" has dawned on me and there is several of them each year, the best ones are usually on a Thursday/involving the Thursday night games.

If you guys want a free chance at a possible difference maker............... pick up  C.J. ANDERSON today if you have a bench spot available.

Its a rare situation where you get a "free gamble" at a potential difference maker late season on a Thursday night game. I usually notice a handful of them every season.

The play here is, snag C.J. ANDERSON tonight before the game starts if he is available in your league. (and you have a bench spot to sacrifice) Anderson is 11% owned in Yahoo leagues.

In the event of a CMC injury in tonight's game, you have landed a potential very strong RB play going forward.

Realize this is essentially a free shot.  If CMC doesn't get injured (and I never like for players to get hurt), then you simply drop Anderson Friday or Saturday, and snag someone else going into the weekend that may help your team, or you pick up yet another end-of-bench RB dart throw.

Note the Carolina Panthers fantasy playoff schedule.

WEEK 14 - @ CLE

WEEK 15 - vs. N.O. SAINTS

WEEK 16 - vs. ATL

One would guess CJ Anderson would be heavily utilized in the event of something happening to McCaffrey. Its not like Anderson hasn't been a good player in the past, and he is a solid pass catcher too.

Should nothing happen to McCaffrey tonight, then you can just drop Anderson, and pick up someone else for the weekend.

I do want to add, I think if you are a McCaffrey owner, now is the time to acquire Anderson in case something happens down the stretch.  But this is a good play for anyone (even non CMC owners) that has a bench roster spot to burn for the next 24-48 hours.

These plays come up a handful of times a year, I like to think of it as "the ultimate fantasy play".  It costs you essentially nothing and it rarely works out, but when it does, you might have possibly acquired yourself someone ahead of the weekend that can be a true difference maker late season for a possible playoff run. (or help you get to the playoffs)

TZM
Let me first say I think this is bushleague and shouldn't be allowed, but in the end the fault is with the software/rules and not with the owner.

With that disclaimer out of the way, if you're willing to roster two players in the same spot in the same week, then why not 4 or 5?

Pick up Anderson today, drop for a player in the 1 PM Sunday game.  Drop that player for a guy in the 4 PM game. Drop that player for a guy on SNF. Then another on MNF.

If two dart throws are better than one, then surely five are better than two.

On yahoo afaik this only works for Thursday night games. I agree it shouldn’t (but don’t believe taking advantage of the fact that it does places an owner in the wrong).

Let me first say I think this is bushleague and shouldn't be allowed, but in the end the fault is with the software/rules and not with the owner.

With that disclaimer out of the way, if you're willing to roster two players in the same spot in the same week, then why not 4 or 5?

Pick up Anderson today, drop for a player in the 1 PM Sunday game.  Drop that player for a guy in the 4 PM game. Drop that player for a guy on SNF. Then another on MNF.

If two dart throws are better than one, then surely five are better than two.
It’s not bush league to abuse the rules as they are laid out. Everyone and their brother will ##### at you but hey, they know the rules as well as you do and it’s not your fault that you put in the extra effort.

I, without shame, do exactlyas you posted above. If I have a spot to burn, I cycle it with each slot of games. It rarely works out but when it does, you end up with say, Gio Bernard after Mixon got hurt this year or Deangelo Williams after Bell got hurt a few years ago. No reason not to do this if it’s allowed

It’s not bush league to abuse the rules as they are laid out. Everyone and their brother will ##### at you but hey, they know the rules as well as you do and it’s not your fault that you put in the extra effort.

I, without shame, do exactlyas you posted above. If I have a spot to burn, I cycle it with each slot of games. It rarely works out but when it does, you end up with say, Gio Bernard after Mixon got hurt this year or Deangelo Williams after Bell got hurt a few years ago. No reason not to do this if it’s allowed

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do it.  Absolutely bush league, but hey I’m sure your leaguemates love having a FF lawyer as a fellow owner.  That everyone and their brother are #####ing at you ought to provide you with some kind of clue as to how inappropriate your behavior is.  But you really just don’t care, do you?

Well as I said, the fault lies mainly with the rules/software that permit this action in the first place.

But you said it correctly: it's an abuse of the rules.

While it is not "bush league", it is just a push to have the league ByLaws amended to remove this misapplication of the intent of the WW process.   I would not fault anybody that does it, but during the off season, that ability should be removed.  However, it is not a dictatorship, my view is only 1 of the 12 in the league.  Our league requires 7 of 12 Owner to amend the  ByLaws, but 9 of 12 to amend the scoring rules.   A properly run league should address issues that come up as the league matures.  Our league is on year 15 ... but we only have 4 of the original 12 owners, but 10 have been with it > 5 years.  

It is just a loop-hole that needs to be closed.

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do it.  Absolutely bush league, but hey I’m sure your leaguemates love having a FF lawyer as a fellow owner.  That everyone and their brother are #####ing at you ought to provide you with some kind of clue as to how inappropriate your behavior is.  But you really just don’t care, do you?
Wow did I strike a nerve? That is a pretty heated response for what amounts to a series of moves that are well within the rules of that league. I have personally done this with this league for 5 years now and you know what? I’m still in the league and I still do it. Every single year the same 2 people cry and propose rules to limit moves, charge for moves or change league platform to disallow this. I abstain from the vote every year as I know it is directed at me and it has never gotten close to passing anyway.

Rule lawyering is not something to be ashamed of, I would recommend that every player know their league settings inside and out and use those rules to the fullest to gain whatever advantage is necessary. The goal is to have fun and win. Having the knowledge gives you and advantage so, no, I feel no shame nor do I care how my league mates feel about it. Winning is fun and this helps you win if it’s allowed and you are motivated to do it 

On yahoo afaik this only works for Thursday night games. I agree it shouldn’t (but don’t believe taking advantage of the fact that it does places an owner in the wrong).
It actually works for any game not being played yet. If you add someone prior to the noon game (and he's playing), you can still drop him prior to the late games (provided he didn't start) to add one of those players who haven't played yet. 

As far as the subject itself goes, I can see why some might think it's bush league, I'm not sure I really feel that strongly 1 way or the other. A great example FOR it is Gronk/ Michel  last week. No news of them officially being out was made until after the late afternoon games started. In leagues with a limited bench, had players been locked your options to drop would only be limited by players on a bye, MNF, or others in that same SNF game. 

I had Gronk personally, also had Engram on bye, and limited bench spots, so I couldn't afford to simply drop someone on the "chance" he wasn't playing. Once officially ruled out, I was forced to drop a player who played at noon for J. Smith who was playing in the MNF game. 

Again, the above is just 1 example and I'm sure there's reasons people are completely against it, but of all the ways people can be jerks in a league, I don't see this as being as egregious of an offense. 

Just my $0.02

As long as everyone is aware of the rules/setup and has equal opportunity then it's all fair game. Your rules and structure may differ from mine and that's ok, but that doesn't make them wrong or immoral, and it's breathtakingly ignorant to suggest otherwise. 

Whilst I never said I thought it was necessarily the "right thing to do, or did I say it was ethical", it is part of the game on Yahoo settings in many leagues, and I am sure it may be that way on other hosts as well.

@EthnicFury -  Hit it straight away, in many Yahoo settings it works only for Thursday night settings, and although it probably shouldn't be allowed, you can not say an owner is "wrong" (Or shouldn't do it??) just for following the rules and taking advantage of certain little nuances.

@Davearm - What you are saying is correct, you could actually do that if you wanted I believe, and without repercussion. Even though i know you were laying out an extreme case to essentially say you didn't agree it should be allowed. (Maybe thats just the way I interpreted it) 

There are  other responses, and I won't address them all specifically.

I generally write about things that I think are advantageous to the casual FF player, or more often than not its something that interests me from a strategy standpoint. This "free play" is something I just happened to notice years ago in the yahoo leagues I play in. Just not ALL my leagues are set up this way.

Several years ago, I noticed something (and I'm fairly sure I mentioned it elsewhere on the board here) about the waiver wire in our leagues as well.

It just so happens someone else pointed it out here in the last few days in a new thread. Look here ~~~~~~> https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/772194-question-about-ww-on-yahoo/

Essentially, about 45 minutes before waivers "run" on yahoo, there is a bit of a dark period. If someone is fast enough or lucky enough to catch it during that period, they can pick up and add  players before waivers "run" or so it appears at first glance.  During this small window, you can add and drop players, before the players that have been claimed are awarded to their owners that made their successful claims.  (Note - you can not pick up someone who has been claimed, he is "locked in" and you can't acquire him, only unclaimed players) You literally have to be fortunate enough to be aware and notice it right as it is happening, as sometimes the waivers run at slightly different times of night on a week to week basis.

When you look at the free agents list, you can acquire players before any players that have been claimed are doled out.  I think this is another area which is technically within the rules, but I can see where a few players don't agree with this. But realistically, how is this any different than me being awake at 5:00 a.m. (earlier than most owners ) and making moves, before you wake up for work and are awarded your claimed player? Anyone who is up can notice and act accordingly. Just because some may not agree that it is "right" in their opinion, doesn't mean another owner should or shouldn't do it.

Leagues have different criteria on IR spots, number of waiver wire maneuvers, different ways of vetoing trades, different settings, different rules like "you MUST play an active player in all positions" (essentially forcing owners to occasionally drop strong players to acquire a defense or kicker on a given week)  different ways of "tanking" (Do you think throwing a game in the final week of the regular season to allow a much-worse team into the playoffs, all for your benefit of playing said team in round 1 of those playoffs should be allowed???).  This last one is an issue I don't think people will EVER uniformly agree on. Just because it is often allowed or within the rules, doesn't necessarily mean its the right thing to do. 

That is probably the case in my "free play" example about CJ Anderson.  Just because one can do it, should an owner be able to or should he??  I don't know personally, if I'm qualified or even smart enough to judge it on exactly how "right or wrong" this is...... but I won't condemn someone else if they made this play. Hell, I made it myself in 2 leagues. (technically I haven't dropped Anderson yet, and its not really a "bad play", unless I drop him before the weekend is it?)  Oddly enough, I own McCaffrey in one of those leagues, and I probably will not drop Anderson there and keep CMC handcuffed for a playoff run.  But in my other league I will consider dropping Anderson if CMC doesn't get injured tonight.

The more points a couple of you guys bring up, the more it gets me to thinking on exactly how "right or wrong" this move may be.

TZM

I think the dark period issue has been addressed somewhat at this point. The players with a claim on them now show up as on waivers during this period, though you can pick up as FAs any with no claims.

i don’t want to hijack this player suggestion thread too much more with ethics debates though. Your CJ Anderson suggestion is a good one for those able and willing to take advantage of such a setting. IMO the “are you a jerk for doing so” discussion probably belongs elsewhere

The last thing that I’ll say on that other subject is in regards to the dark period. In my friends league, I discovered it before the rest of my league mates because I happened to be awake at that time and by chance figured out how it all works. I got ribbed badly for it and explained the process to anyone who asked. Then a majority of the league wanted to take an emergency vote to change the time waivers open. Passed unanimously, myself included, only for the commish to find out it is yahoo wife and can’t be changed. Now everyone who wants at the free agents sets an alarm and hits the wire at 5 am wednesdays. Point being, the type of free play TZM suggested is just part of how that particular platform works. There’s nothing inherently wrong with doing it and if it bothers others so much, the league can pass a vote to change platforms, the player can do it themselves, or the player can leave the league. My guess is that options A and B are taken 95% of the time.

On topic, Courtland Sutton was dropped in one of my leagues, the owner was really tight with byes and needed the roster spot. He could be on some of your waivers

because last year he gave me a awesome 5-6 game stretch along with Lewis that was amazing 
It was a two game stretch followed by getting lucky enough to fall into the endzone twice on 9 total carries over the next two games 

And the latter is the best you can hope for and that only happens if Michel gets hurt, which seems to be a legitimate possibility. Then again considering it's Burkhead we're talking about it feels like a race to see who gets hurt first.

He's an injury dependent (and injury prone), TD dependent long shot at best.

I have no idea why people are so enamored of this guy.
This point in the season we're all looking for an end of the bench guy who can play big.  Burkhead has done that in the past. He's on the same team. Same system.  Sure, he has guy ahead of him.....but I'd take a flyer on him as a 5th/6th guy...just so someone else who might need an RB more than me doesn't get him. 

I have no idea why people are so enamored of this guy.
This isn't about being "enamored" with Rex Burkhead, but rather it's about a FREE waiver wire pick up for playoff bound teams that need depth or just want to prevent another playoff bound team the chance of grabbing a RB who could be a difference maker in weeks 13 through 16.

The league should charge a fee for player acquisitions.  If it doesn't curb the behavior, at least it sweetens the pot.

Lamar Jackson if Flacco's "hip injury" keeps him out. Oh man, that playoff schedule...
There are a LOT of articles from the early part of the season that while Jackson would be the #2 QB as long as Flacco is healthy, that's only the case because they want him on the field to be able to run his running plays. Robert Griffin III is the actual backup QB.

According to all of those articles, in the case of a Flacco injury, it's likely that Robert Griffin III would get the call as the starting QB.

Lamar Jackson if Flacco's "hip injury" keeps him out. Oh man, that playoff schedule...
Just grabbed him in both leagues, one being a keeper league where we keep 1 rookie each year.

The Vick comparisons are just too tantalizing to pass up!

Tweet

From this tweet:

"Andy Dalton has basically played 13 career games without AJ Green. The Bengals are 5-7-1 in those matches. Dalton has completed 284 of 468 passes (60.7%) for 3,148 yards (6.7) with 12 TDs and 10 INTs. That's all good for an 80.3 passer rating."
Is this where you say I told you so? 

I don't need him after this week. Good riddance to hot garbage

Users who are viewing this thread