What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WAIVER WIRE PICK-UPS AFTER WEEK 1 (1 Viewer)

here's how I rank the top guys (in tiers)

Best combination of high and realistic upside

Ronald Jones

High Floor

Chris Thompson

Look to be a big part of the offense

John Ross (probably higher for me since I own Green, so kind of a reverse handcuff.  high upside, high variability)

Terry McLaurin  (probably safer, lower ceiling)

High Ceiling/High Risk/Better Chance to Hit

Hollywood Brown

Mecole Hardman

High Ceiling/High Risk/Low Median Outcome due to dumb or uncertain offenses

AJ Brown

DJ Chark

DK Metcalf  

Handcuffs with a good chance of starter missing time and ability to contribute even if not

Gio Bernard

Malcolm Brown  

We know who and what you are and apparently you still have something but how can I get that excited?

Amendola

Still Sleepers but maybe worth grabbing if you want free/low cost/post-waiver claims

Ito Smith (50% snap count)

Alexander Mattison (10 touches)

Gus Edwards (17 touches)

Trey Quinn (97% snap count & 6 targets)

Damiere Byrd/Keesean Johnson (88% & 7 targets/76% snap count & 10 targets)

Deebo Samuel (88% snap count)
This was an outstanding post, it has clear tiers and I understand all of your logic and yes I made some adjustments to what I'm doing tonight. 

Ronald Jones

High Floor

Chris Thompson

John Ross (probably higher for me since I own Green, so kind of a reverse handcuff.  high upside, high variability)

Hollywood Brown

Mecole Hardman

AJ Brown

DJ Chark

DK Metcalf  

Handcuffs with a good chance of starter missing time and ability to contribute even if not

Gio Bernard

Malcolm Brown  

We know who and what you are and apparently you still have something but how can I get that excited?

Amendola

Still Sleepers but maybe worth grabbing if you want free/low cost/post-waiver claims

Gus Edwards (17 touches)

great post -thank you!

Lots available as FA now in my son's league, too many choices, would you drop any of:

Tyler Lockett, Duke Johnson, Austin Hooper, DJ Moore

For any of:

D Waller, Devin Singletary, Hollywood Brown, John Brown, Malcolm Brown, Michael Gallup, Metcalf, MVS, Marvin Jones, Matt Breida, Will Fuller, Christian Kirk, Phillip Dorset

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots available as FA now in my son's league, too many choices, would you drop any of:

For any of:

D Waller, Devin Singletary, Hollywood Brown, John Brown, Malcolm Brown, Michael Gallup, Metcalf, MVS, Marvin Jones, Matt Breida, Will Fuller, Christian Kirk, Phillip Dorset
I'd drop Hooper for Waller in a heartbeat, assuming Hooper is your only TE

I'd drop Hooper for Waller in a heartbeat, assuming Hooper is your only TE
Already dropped Rudolph for Hockenson, so have him and Hooper.

I think he's set but just tempted by more available players in his 10 team league.

If you can start two TE, Waller all the way.   If not, Hooper for any of those guys you listed would be an upgrade. depends on your roster needs.
QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex, K, D

Has D Watson, L Jackson, N Chubb, C Carson, A Ekeler, D Hopkins, D Adams as main guys

Flex will prob always be a 2nd RB.

For any of:

Drop Hooper for Singletary before someone realizes he's there.

This ranking doesn't fit with most of the WW rankings I can find (or what's been discussed in this thread).  Here's my thinking:  McLauren played a lot of the snaps for Was (90+, I think), the 'skins don't have a WR1, so the role is there to be claimed, he looked good with Keenum & if/when the QB change happens, he already has chemistry with Haskins from college, and the skins will likely be playing catch-up quite often this year.  With Ross, from what I've read, his production was somewhat fluky (flea-flicker, lucky 2nd TD), when Green comes back, he's relegated to possibly WR3 in Cincy, he has a two year history of not producing.  The Browns are both on offenses where I feel the passing volume will be low, and while they both had big games, neither of them played a lot of snaps or had a high volume of work.

I also have DJax on my roster, so the boom/bust element he offers, seems to resemble the boom/bust potential I see for Ross and the Browns, while I feel like McLauren could end up the WR1 in Was & be a more consistent WR.

Is my thinking wrong here?  Am I letting my Redskins fan-dom interfere with rational thinking?
I really kind of like this. I tend to agree with the idea of identifying a consistent no. 1. And Keenum has some capacity. My concern is when Haskins comes in he actually may be overwhelmed, and I am not sure that the Buckeye connection will be enough.

Drop Hooper for Singletary before someone realizes he's there.
I want to but he can only start RBs in 2 spots and already has Chubb, Carson, and Ekeler.  Seems like he has more use for the TE than another RB.

Singletary also available in my older son's 12 team league but same problem, only 2 RB spots (with the flex) and he's got Zeke, J Jacobs, Ekeler, and Duke Johnson.

Didn't see the game, Singletary good enough to drop Duke Johnson for? Cal Ridley?  MVS?  He doesn't have a great WR2. (Lockett right now).

I want to but he can only start RBs in 2 spots and already has Chubb, Carson, and Ekeler.  Seems like he has more use for the TE than another RB.

Singletary also available in my older son's 12 team league but same problem, only 2 RB spots (with the flex) and he's got Zeke, J Jacobs, Ekeler, and Duke Johnson.

Didn't see the game, Singletary good enough to drop Duke Johnson for? Cal Ridley?  MVS?  He doesn't have a great WR2. (Lockett right now).
Ekeler has a high chance to lose value mid season if Gordon comes back so an extra back for byes/injuries doesn't seem like a bad idea. Bills have a nice offensive line this year and Singletary looks good.

For any of:

I would consider dropping Duke for BOLD.  Depends on your squad.

QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex, K, D

Has D Watson, L Jackson, N Chubb, C Carson, A Ekeler, D Hopkins, D Adams as main guys

Flex will prob always be a 2nd RB.
I think Waller for Hooper at least if you're replacing TE is a no-brainer. Singletary should also be owned. I'd personally drop DJ Moore for him. Lockett missed practice today with a bad back and is questionable for this week, too.  

I listen to a podcast where the guy watches film on all the hot waiver guys.  He stated that of this week's waiver talent, Ron Jones played great and should be the number one pick up. 

You should grab him on the cheap before tomorrow night's game.  He might play well tomorrow night with the defensive line of Carolina but you can probably get him for free now.

Here's his vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2VRDeZeo4

I am sold and glad I bought.

I listen to a podcast where the guy watches film on all the hot waiver guys.  He stated that of this week's waiver talent, Ron Jones played great and should be the number one pick up. 

You should grab him on the cheap before tomorrow night's game.  He might play well tomorrow night with the defensive line of Carolina but you can probably get him for free now.

Here's his vid

He is nowhere available in no league of mine. Word's out. 

I should have posted that clip yesterday.  He looked good.
That's what people are saying. I watched a bit of preseason and that game and Barber looks like he's running in Boston molasses. I have a short bench league that is WR and Flex/Superflex dominant and he was drafted in a deeper bench league, so there was no chance I really had at him, though I tied for winning bid in one. Come to think of it, now I know what I need to bid in the future to win in that league. 

High Stakes waivers (12 teams, 20 man rosters- $1,000 FAAB budget):

$451  John Ross (League 1)

$359  John Ross (League 2)

$328  Terry McLaurin (League 1)

$301  Raheem Mostert (League 2)

$281  Raheem Mostert (League1)

$188  Demaryius Thomas

$168  AJ Brown

$135  Chris Conley

$133  Ted Ginn Jr.

Got Hollywood at 20% and Ross at 15% along with Danny Amendola for a $1 in both league. I just see a big big year for Amendola  (if healthy) and Gronk 2.0 there. Stafford continuous targets the slot and Hockenson is their most talented offensive player. Reason I was not as high on Golladay (he can still have a decent TD year....I just don't see the steady targets with Amendola/Hockenson healthy).

I was actually surprised to get Hollywood at that TBH.

I always handcuff my RBs so most my aggressive bids are on WR in Week 1.

Mr. Landry said:
High Stakes waivers (12 teams, 20 man rosters- $1,000 FAAB budget):

$451  John Ross (League 1)

$359  John Ross (League 2)

$328  Terry McLaurin (League 1)

$301  Raheem Mostert (League 2)

$281  Raheem Mostert (League1)

$188  Demaryius Thomas

$168  AJ Brown

$135  Chris Conley

$133  Ted Ginn Jr.
In my league(FFPC) McLaurin $448 was the highest.

Ross around $250.

The rest on your list are pretty close(Mostert was drafted).   1st real free agent week are usually pretty high numbers for these leagues.

The Dude said:

Here's his vid

I've been trying to tell people this in here. Tonight is going to be very interesting.

For any of:

Id drop Hooper for pretty much any of those guys

Christian Kirk and Rex Burkhead fell to the wire. 

Really think Kirk is talented, but ARI will spread the ball and Hockensen is a target drain.

Burkhead also had a fairly solid game with involvement in the passing game, but will also be subject to a team that spreads the ball around, and potentially moreso if AB is allowed to play.

Really think Kirk is talented, but ARI will spread the ball and Hockensen is a target drain.

Burkhead also had a fairly solid game with involvement in the passing game, but will also be subject to a team that spreads the ball around, and potentially moreso if AB is allowed to play.
If Damien Harris is inactive again this week i could see Burkhead having a huge game. NE should annihilate Miami

What does Kirk have to do with Hockensen?

Not much interest in Dorsett.  I paid more than I needed to.
I missed out on every single player in my bidding, but no one put in a claim for Dorsett so I grabbed him for free.

I may end up dropping him but if Brown doesn't play, he's got a tempting matchup and I may play him ahead of Ridley.

I ended up dropping Anthony Miller for Malcolm Brown. Might be good trade bait to the Gurley owner in the future (or RB1 if Gurley misses some time).

Dropped Coutee to tandem my defenses between MN and CAR. I'm keeping an eye on him--the Stills TD catch worries me. AJBrown is still out there (as well as McLaurin) and I'm holding Pettis one more week to see what emerges. So, Week 2 I'll probably decide between Coutee, AJBrown and Pettis.

Barber looked competent on TNF. The coaches clearly trust him. 
He looked like they'd game planned and scripted around him. He was still a bit pedestrian, though useful for fantasy. One or two nice runs, but Carolina aren't world beaters on D.  Yeah, despite being fed he went 23-86 for 3.6 YPC. Pedestrian. 

He looked like they'd game planned and scripted around him. He was still a bit pedestrian, though useful for fantasy. One or two nice runs, but Carolina aren't world beaters on D.  Yeah, despite being fed he went 23-86 for 3.6 YPC. Pedestrian. 
Absolutely agree, my point being that despite Jones looking good in Week 1, they gave him almost no meaningful touches this week from what I saw. 

Absolutely agree, my point being that despite Jones looking good in Week 1, they gave him almost no meaningful touches this week from what I saw. 
We saw this with Arians in Arizona with a very pedestrian Chris Johnson and David Johnson tearing it up every time he touched the ball, which was infrequently.

Peyton Barber approximates a busted up Chris Johnson but Ronald Johnson is no David Johnson.

Ronald Jones

High Floor

Chris Thompson

Hollywood Brown

Mecole Hardman

AJ Brown

DJ Chark

DK Metcalf  

Gio Bernard

Malcolm Brown  

Amendola

Gus Edwards (17 touches)

Nice post! You should do this every week for us 👏

i grabbed Edwards for free 👍

Havent read the full thread, but has Demarcus Robinson been mentioned?  Cheap way to get a piece of that KC offense.  Everyone will rush to grab Hardman, and that may be the right pickup but it is possible that Robinson is the WR2 in that offense for the next 4-8 weeks - then by the time Hill returns Sammy will probably be hurt so you could get a full season in that starting lineup.
Great call

Havent read the full thread, but has Demarcus Robinson been mentioned?  Cheap way to get a piece of that KC offense.  Everyone will rush to grab Hardman, and that may be the right pickup but it is possible that Robinson is the WR2 in that offense for the next 4-8 weeks - then by the time Hill returns Sammy will probably be hurt so you could get a full season in that starting lineup.
Wish I had held off claiming Hardman, even if it cost me a buck. Had I read this I might have gone in the Robinson direction. Then again, Hardman had a long one called back in A Shady holding call, so maybe next week will be his turn.

Users who are viewing this thread