What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Targets heading into week 5 (1 Viewer)

Got Darnell Washington in a throw in trade last week and picked him off waivers this week. I don't expect much and won't start him, but I do want to see if he can show something before Freiermuth comes back. It's definitely a dynasty move. In redraft I probably wouldn't bother.

Got Darnell Washington in a throw in trade last week and picked him off waivers this week. I don't expect much and won't start him, but I do want to see if he can show something before Freiermuth comes back. It's definitely a dynasty move. In redraft I probably wouldn't bother.
I just made the same move. Nothing to lose really, and TE has been a mess for me this year. Thanks for the reminder.

Wound up going rivers over Mason for my last spot. Figure there’s more paths to success—there’s an outside shot rivers is as good as or better than Kyren whereas we know Mason isn’t better than CMC. Also they have kyren returning punts I guess?

Both decent flyers though for sure.

Mitchell was a higher priority for me than either because you can stash him on IR and also get whichever of the other two

Wound up going rivers over Mason for my last spot. Figure there’s more paths to success—there’s an outside shot rivers is as good as or better than Kyren whereas we know Mason isn’t better than CMC. Also they have kyren returning punts I guess?

Both decent flyers though for sure.

Mitchell was a higher priority for me than either because you can stash him on IR and also get whichever of the other two
Mitchell tape is fun to watch but I don't think his path to opportunity is clear. He's a rookie who hasn't practiced in for forever and a day. Even if both Edwards and Hill go down I think Melvin is the clear lead back and Mitchell may be the CoP IF they don't decide to bring in another retread first.

They're 3-1, the offense is playing well, defense is strong and they just gave Lamar a bazillion dollars, their priority is protecting the franchise. If the 5'9", 179 lb rookie can do that better than Gus, Hill & Melvin he'll see action. If not...

So Drake London just got rage dropped. Kenneth Gainwell is also on the WW.

Do I drop any of these for one of the above?
RB Jaylen Warren Steelers
RB Tyjae Spears Titans
WR Michael Wilson Cardinals

I've been holding Spears as a lottery ticket versus Derrick Henry, but Gainwell could also be a lottery ticket versus Swift. Swift has missed 3 games in each of his first 3 years.

The way Washington used Samuel this week mitigated a lot of Phillys pass rush. It might be something Bienemy keeps trying since they let up a ton of sacks. Quick hits to Samuel and the end around at the end zone worked well to slow the rushers.
3-34 and a TD tonight. As a desperate add during a bye week, not bad.

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I've been holding Spears as a lottery ticket versus Derrick Henry, but Gainwell could also be a lottery ticket versus Swift. Swift has missed 3 games in each of his first 3 years.
If that’s All you have to drop I would drop Wilson for London. Leave Gainwell on the wire. Don’t you have anyone else to drop?

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

If that’s Al you have to drop I would drop Wilson for London.
Thanks, but I don't have Gainwell. I could drop Warren, Spears or Wilson for London.

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

Thanks, but I don't have Gainwell. I could drop Warren, Spears or Wilson for London.
Yeah I saw that and corrected it while you were posting. Who else do you have?

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I drop Wilson without question.

Why do we believe Wilson may be sustainable?

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I could do Dotson, but he's locked since he's playing tonight. We have a short bench - only five spots.

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I could do Dotson, but he's locked since he's playing tonight. We have a short bench - only five spots.
Tough. I suppose Wilson, but he is trending up.

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I absolutely know this will come off as argumentative and that is 100% not my intent but is one game a trend?

A lot of people are asking about this guy in the WSIS thread and I keep looking at his college and pro numbers and wonder what the argument in favor of this guy is. Who is his potential comp that makes thinking about last week anything other than an aberration?

Stash? Sure, 100% why not?
Start? Help me understand.

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I absolutely know this will come off as argumentative and that is 100% not my intent but is one game a trend?

A lot of people are asking about this guy in the WSIS thread and I keep looking at his college and pro numbers and wonder what the argument in favor of this guy is. Who is his potential comp that makes thinking about last week anything other than an aberration?

I honestly don’t think I would drop Wilson for London in redraft

I’m probably very biased as Wilson was my number one sleeper this off-season but the change of direction metrics are elite (#1 deceleration in the draft class iirc) and he was drawing some davante adams comps from people who seem to know a lot more than I do. He was hurt a lot so his overall production isn’t great but opened a lot of eyes at the senior bowl and was getting super positive buzz all season.

Imo if he stays healthy (big question) he will produce

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I’m probably very biased as Wilson was my number one sleeper this off-season but the change of direction metrics are elite (#1 deceleration in the draft class iirc) and he was drawing some davante adams comps from people who seem to know a lot more than I do. He was hurt a lot so his overall production isn’t great but opened a lot of eyes at the senior bowl and was getting super positive buzz all season.

Great response. Thank you.

First question: what is a "deceleration" metric? Is it a shuttle or 3-cone thing?

I have heard the injury aspect before vis-a-vis his relative lack of productivity in college.

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

First question: what is a "deceleration" metric? Is it a shuttle or 3-cone thing?

I have heard the injury aspect before vis-a-vis his relative lack of productivity in college.
Like going from sprint to stopping as a change of direction I think? Idk how they measure it, it was a senior bowl thing someone linked in the thread from Jim Nagy but it sounded relevant to getting open https://twitter.com/jimnagy_sb/status/1651195599062982674?s=46&t=pTLniXq02GsdrjhNoGNf7w

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

Like going from sprint to stopping as a change of direction I think? Idk how they measure it, it was a senior bowl thing someone linked in the thread from Jim Nagy but it sounded relevant to getting open https://twitter.com/jimnagy_sb/status/1651195599062982674?s=46&t=pTLniXq02GsdrjhNoGNf7w
That feels like a shuttle or 3-cone test. It's good data but, ultimately about as predictive as Christine Michael's SPARQ score. You were here for that, right?

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

That feels like a shuttle or 3-cone test. It's good data but, ultimately about as predictive as Christine Michael's SPARQ score. You were here for that, right?
I was.

Very different investment levels required between Michael and this guy though. And Wilson is by all accounts a guy who truly loves the game and has an insane work ethic. I’m not concerned at all that he won’t maximize whatever tools he has for headcase type reasons.

Again, I think the two outcomes here are the guy is good or his body fails him. Obviously with the potential to be limited somewhat by however the offense as a whole goes

ETA: the scouts were raving about how much separation he was creating at the senior bowl and his highlights through the first few games bear that out. Is he a lock to be the next Davante Adams? Of course not, but I will be shocked if the outcome is he stays healthy but sucks

Last edited:

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I didn't say anything about starting Wilson. I too was very high on Wilson as a sleeper after the draft if you want to go search. I was hesitant about telling him to drop Wilson for London, thus the reason why I asked who else does he have to drop besides the players he listed. I think Wilson will continue to look good in his rookie season.

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

It's not one game. His points in my league are 2, 7, 9, 23

That's trending up

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I’m one of the people who asked about whether to start Michael Wilson (I’m in a bind at WR) and I’m thankful for your earlier response.

To answer your question, one game isn’t a trend, but Wilson’s production has increased with each game. The only thing that wasn’t trending was the target volume.

Week 1: 2/19/0 on 4 targets
Week 2: 3/56/0 on 3 targets
Week 3: 2/86/0 on 2 targets
Week 4: 7/76/2 on 7 targets

Wilson can’t be trusted as a must start yet because we don’t know if the concentration of targets to him is a trend or not. It could very well go back down to 3 targets this week for all we know. But I also think it’s fair to say the arrow has been steadily pointing up for Wilson early in the season, with last week being the first spike. His college numbers suffered because of injury reasons, not for talent reasons. I’m with you though in supporting stashing but not starting unless truly desperate (for example, I’d start him over someone like Bourne but not over someone like Wilson’s teammate Hollywood Brown).

RB Tyjae Spears Titans

I’m one of the people who asked about whether to start Michael Wilson (I’m in a bind at WR) and I’m thankful for your earlier response.

To answer your question, one game isn’t a trend, but Wilson’s production has increased with each game. The only thing that wasn’t trending was the target volume.

Week 1: 2/19/0 on 4 targets
Week 2: 3/56/0 on 3 targets
Week 3: 2/86/0 on 2 targets
Week 4: 7/76/2 on 7 targets

Wilson can’t be trusted as a must start yet because we don’t know if the concentration of targets to him is a trend or not. It could very well go back down to 3 targets this week for all we know. But I also think it’s fair to say the arrow has been steadily pointing up for Wilson early in the season, with last week being the first spike. His college numbers suffered because of injury reasons, not for talent reasons. I’m with you though in supporting stashing but not starting unless truly desperate (for example, I’d start him over someone like Bourne but not over someone like Wilson’s teammate Hollywood Brown).
So some of my thoughts on the two

Wilson - I had heard that the two WR that stood out the most at the Senior Bowl were Wilson and some JAG with a funny name called Puka Nakua. So good company there. He did look extremely good last week. He apparently does have an injury history - I don't know what the injuries were, but I don't think he has missed any time since coming to camp in Arizona. Has a tougher scheduled coming up for the next few weeks:
6 at LA Rams
7 at Seattle
8 Home vs Baltimore
9 at Cleveland
10 Home vs Atlanta
11 at Houston
12 Home vs LA Rams
13 at Pittsburgh
14 BYE
15 Home vs San Francisco
16 at Chicago
17 at Philadelphia

London - was very successful as a rookie. His current QB (Ridder) looks to be much worse than Wilson's (Dobbs, with Kyler Murray possibly on the horizon). But Taylor Heinecke could take over from Ridder, and I think that would be an upgrade over Ridder, at least in terms of passing quality. London averaged 6.9 targets per game in 2022, and leaving out Week 1, is averaging 6.7 targets per game in weeks 2-4 of 2023, so about the same overall pace. And he has not missed any time in the NFL due to injury. His near term schedule looks much nicer:
6 home vs Washington
7 at Tampa Bay
8 at Tennessee
9 Home vs Minnesota
10 at Arizona
11 BYE
12 home vs New Orleans
13 at NY Jets
14 home vs Tampa Bay
15 at Carolina
16 home vs Indianapolis
17 at Chicago

Atlanta's coach would prefer to run as much as possible, and with Bijan Robinson on the field that's actually a good idea, so that could limit London's volume. Arizona also likes to run, and with Conner healthy that is a good idea too. But Conner isn't an iron man, so that could change.

According to Fantasy Life (based on PFF data),
Arizona - Dropback Over Expectation: -2%
Atlanta - Dropback Over Expectation: -7%

Wilson being a rookie has more room to grow, especially with less college experience than most guys. London should have that "second year breakout" except for the poor QB play and coach's love for ground game.

I think they are pretty close.

Users who are viewing this thread