What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 0: Waiver Wire Pickups (1 Viewer)

Hartliner

Footballguy
Think of this as the precursor to the weekly waiver wire thread. Taking account of preseason/injuries here are some players worth the add before the regular season. For those of us that may have already drafted earlier in August. I can say all these names were on my waiver wire of a 12 person ppr league. Any names missed?

• QBs:
  1. Dak Prescott: I'd give him top priority if you want to take a shot on him as a lowend QB1/backup/tradebait. I expect his beginning of season performance to be better than after the NFL figures him out and then gameplans for him.
  2. RG3: Doesn't cost you much ,but if there is a renaissance in Cleveland he'll definitely prosper.

• RBs:
  1. Robert Kelly: Looks like Matt Jones is not going to be ready for week 1. JAG but it's a "Shanigan" offense. RBs here are opportunity based and then can be the guy for the season.
  2. CJ Spiller: I'm surprised too, but I have picked him up as a possible flex starter I know he has the talent, but I'm thinking the offense starts to click for him and he is healthy and the preseason momentum is encouraging.  
  3. Chris Thompson: He has gone undrafted in all of my leagues this year. I play with a lot of guppies but he should be in that ppr valuable role. I like!
  4. James White: Dion Lewis lite

• WRs:
  1. Chris Hogan: preseason darling on a prolific offense. His owner rate is rising could be a steal of the season.
  2. Kenny Stills: Kind of a forgotten man by most this season but preseason is showing a connection between himself and Tannehill. 

• TE
  1. Vance McDonald: Maybe more of a wait and see but, my chips would be on him this year. 

• DST
  1. Eagles: Got them on all of my teams because of that Browns Matchup followed by Bears. Plus this D could be underrated this year.Why? due to last years Chip Kelly run team, the defense was gassed from the speedy 3 n outs of the offense. 

Nice thread!

I think I prefer Chris Thompson in a Jay Gruden offense over Robert Kelly but I haven't given it much thought yet.

PIT WR Eli Rogers - His potential role as the Steelers slot wideout bubbled up during the preseason.  He may be available in leagues that had early drafts and/or closed waivers during the last month.

DEN TE Virgil Green - Some were looking at Jeff Heuerman not that long ago, but that has certainly changed.  Green seems like a high floor option for those that punted on the TE position or were relying on the other TE named Green (Ladarius).

Or second string behind Ingram or Hightower

He has looked good this PS

Unlike last year hasn't missed time with a injury

Could be relevant 
I dropped him & no one has picked him up in PPR dynasty. With the Gaffney injury, maybe I'll drop him & pick Spiller back up since the WW is thin.

• WRs:
  1. Chris Hogan: preseason darling on a prolific offense. His owner rate is rising could be a steal of the season.
I dropped Hogan, last round draft flyer, last night, and picked up Spencer Ware.

Brady spread the ball around way to much last night.

I dropped him & no one has picked him up in PPR dynasty. With the Gaffney injury, maybe I'll drop him & pick Spiller back up since the WW is thin.
Spiller would have to have multiple big games for me to roster him.  I know that would prob be too late, but the guy hasn't produced consistently in a long time.  Not worth the spot and I think hightower is the better player

Too bad he plays for the stinky browns
I know, that team is cursed.  But I am a believer.  The Browns can not suck for the rest of eternity can they?  Hell even the Cavs won a championship!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my dynasty league I'm taking flyers (fliers?) on Dwayne Washington and Jalen Richard. Both are sitting third right now but have had impressive preseasons. 

WRs I'm going with Tyrell Williams, Pryor and maybe Rogers.

Ware shouldn't be on any WW unless you play with a bunch of guppies 
Yeah that sale ended Wednesday am

I dropped Dixon for Pryor Monday and Treadwell for Ware two days later. Think I'm done until after Week 1.

Best thing on our WW:

QB - Osweiler, Smith, Siemian

WR - Rogers

RB - Spiller, Hightower, Booker, Howard, CJ2K

TE - Walford, Cameron, Gilmore

K - Janikowski, TB (R), Whocares

DST - DAL JAX NYG TB TEN

Cook & Vance got drafted in s lot of leagues, no?
I'm just going to use as my yardstick "guys owned in 25% or less of CBS leagues". YMMV but I've found CBS stats to be fairly reliable predictors of "owned/not owned". I'm making one exception, which I'll lead off with:

QB: RG3 (36%) - Should be owned in every league of every size. He's the perfect bench QB IMO: either he's going to be terrible and/or get injured in the first few weeks of the season (in which case you drop him, no harm, no foul), or he's gonna break out huge, in which case you get QB1-level stats for free or nearly so. That's exactly what you want out of your QB2! I've targeted him in every 12-team and deeper league I play.

RB: Chris Thompson (25%) - Should be owned in all PPR leagues. He'll get his regardless of whether Jones or Kelley is getting the bulk of the carries. Carries significant injury risk but that's not the thing you need to be worried about from your RB5 or RB6.

WR: Rishard Matthews (25%) - Tajae Sharpe is the new, sexy name on the block; but when it's all said and done, Matthews is going to be the team leader in receptions on a team that's going to be playing from behind fairly frequently. He was a quietly productive performer in a Miami offense that we're quickly learning not just any random dude can come in and succeed on (cough, Parker, cough). 

(Also, inexplicably, DGB's ownership percentage is only 31%. Sprint, don't run, to the WW if he's available in your league and grab this guy. You're welcome.)

TE: Vance McDonald (12%) - Mentioned by the OP. Year 1 of Chip Kelly's last coaching gig literally won people fantasy titles - I'm willing to bet that at least a bit of that magic gets carried over to the Bay Area. Plus, Gabbert doesn't have any good intermediate WRs and wouldn't know how to use them if he did.

Virgil Green (11%) - We have no evidence that Siemian can be effective in the intermediate-to-deep passing game - none. Sell Sanders and buy Green, as the TEs are likely to get a significant bump in targets this year.

• DST
  1. Eagles: Got them on all of my teams because of that Browns Matchup followed by Bears. Plus this D could be underrated this year.Why? due to last years Chip Kelly run team, the defense was gassed from the speedy 3 n outs of the offense. 
Eagles D should be owned in every league.  I also own the Seattle D and will have a hard time starting them over the Eagles in Week One, and probably the rest of the season as well.

DJ Foster - remember how Dion Lewis came out of nowhere last year?  Foster isn't the same type of talent, but I feel like James White is a 'filler' type talent at a key role in BB's offense.  You get him now, you get him before any possible/potential explosion.

PIT WR Eli Rogers - His potential role as the Steelers slot wideout bubbled up during the preseason.  He may be available in leagues that had early drafts and/or closed waivers during the last month.

DEN TE Virgil Green - Some were looking at Jeff Heuerman not that long ago, but that has certainly changed.  Green seems like a high floor option for those that punted on the TE position or were relying on the other TE named Green (Ladarius).
I already pulled the trigger on V Green as a back up TE with upside potential.

Ware shouldn't be on any WW unless you play with a bunch of guppies 
Wondering if Ware has flex appeal or simply a stash? Perhaps early on he has flex appeal. Long term perhaps 6-10 carries per game? Charles still the guy, correct? No one could possible predict Spencer Ware being the starter once Charles returns, unless of course, Charles goes down. Then Ware is a potential top 15 RB? Then I might place him in over J Hill...

DJ Foster - remember how Dion Lewis came out of nowhere last year?  Foster isn't the same type of talent, but I feel like James White is a 'filler' type talent at a key role in BB's offense.  You get him now, you get him before any possible/potential explosion.
Looked pretty good last night.

TE: Vance McDonald (12%) - Mentioned by the OP. Year 1 of Chip Kelly's last coaching gig literally won people fantasy titles - I'm willing to bet that at least a bit of that magic gets carried over to the Bay Area. Plus, Gabbert doesn't have any good intermediate WRs and wouldn't know how to use them if he did.
Something has to give in this situation: Kelly + Gabbert + Hyde.... then what? McDonald, TSmith, Patton. Then it really gets sketchy. Snaps are going to be way up and I suspect Kelly likes these no-name, left for dead types better than star names to tell you the truth. I think there will be WW value from this whole group in varying degrees.

Wondering if Ware has flex appeal or simply a stash? Perhaps early on he has flex appeal. Long term perhaps 6-10 carries per game? Charles still the guy, correct? No one could possible predict Spencer Ware being the starter once Charles returns, unless of course, Charles goes down. Then Ware is a potential top 15 RB? Then I might place him in over J Hill...
 I personally think that Ware does have flex appeal (but that also depends on starting lineup requirements) in general.  There is another thread that was titled something like  "One Name" where the premise was that you name the one player that you think might be a dark horse fantasy difference maker. I said Spencer Ware a few days before the Charles news came out. My prediction is that Kansas City will most likely not be a high volume passing team.  I see a few games where they could be playing from behind--but I think their tough defense should keep their running game very relevant in most games.  I could see them running the ball a ton--which should leave enough meat on the bone for both Charles and Ware when healthy.    Also--looking at their division--there is no reason to believe that they can't be contenders to win it--which means that they probably would prefer to keep Charles healthy and fresh for a potential playoff run.  With that being said--I've heard that Ware is shooting up drafts in regards to ADP. I've heard as early as the 6th and as late as the 8th.   While he still may end up being a value there--I certainly preferred his price a week ago.  I got him in the late 13th in a draft that was on Sunday night.  

Isn't Spiller 3rd string, though, behind Hightower?
My thoughts: CJ Spiller is the 3rd down ppr RB you'd want. Compare him to a Chris Thompson, Darren Sproles type role player. In fact last year spiller's adp was high like 4th to 6th rd for the role he still seems to have. Now you see the flash in preseason of it working. He's also still iat a good age and is healthy. Just think if his disappointing last year didn't happen. Take a shot on him is all I'm saying you can always cut a player like this within that 3 week opening to the season. 

Looked pretty good last night.
Foster - I pretty much hate playing on yahoo as much as the next guy/gal, but one of my league is on yahoo unfortunately. It looks like Foster is listed as a RB/WR in the Yahoo system.  That comes in handy as a RB or WR toggle piece if he does end up having some use this season.  Crazier things have happened with BB and the Pats.

Foster - I pretty much hate playing on yahoo as much as the next guy/gal, but one of my league is on yahoo unfortunately. It looks like Foster is listed as a RB/WR in the Yahoo system.  That comes in handy as a RB or WR toggle piece if he does end up having some use this season.  Crazier things have happened with BB and the Pats.
Thanks for heads up on that

My thoughts: CJ Spiller is the 3rd down ppr RB you'd want. Compare him to a Chris Thompson, Darren Sproles type role player. In fact last year spiller's adp was high like 4th to 6th rd for the role he still seems to have. Now you see the flash in preseason of it working. He's also still iat a good age and is healthy. Just think if his disappointing last year didn't happen. Take a shot on him is all I'm saying you can always cut a player like this within that 3 week opening to the season. 
Would you rather have Spiller or CJ Thompson if you had to choose just one?

I'll throw Dwayne Washington out there as well. Remains to be seen if he'll have a role off the bat, but when Waldman highlights a RB I tend to listen and he's looked very good in the preseason with a whole bunch of "meh" and "maybe" ahead of him on the depth chart.

Thompson is a higher floor/consistency, Spiller is higher ceiling/upside. I go with ceiling in most of these situations... so it's spiller for me as my last RB on my bench. 

Dwayne Washington's three primary roles will be breaking up the wedge on KRs, gunner on PRs and grabbing Gatorade for the three RBs who will see offensive snaps.

Stash him if you got room but otherwise wait for an injury. Guy fumbled 10 times in 227 college carries. Good athlete to be sure, but he has already exceeded expectations for this year. 

For those who want some hope, Kyle Meinke, beat writer for MLive, had this today:

Trending up: RB Dwayne WashingtonThe rookie earned his first start with Ameer Abdullah and Theo Riddick sitting out, and squashed whatever uncertainty remained about his roster chances by housing a 58-yarder to open the game. He finished with just 10 yards on his other six carries, but that's not really telling us anything we don't already know. He's a rookie seventh-round pick. He's obviously not a well-rounded player -- and rushing behind that hodge-podge line, lanes were hit and miss anyway. But he's got the home-run ball, and that's something you can't teach. Like Rudock, Washington has done more than enough to make the team, and the only ambiguity concerning him is whether he's caught Zach Zenner for an actual game-day role.

Users who are viewing this thread