What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 14: I'm sitting my "STUD" for _____________. (1 Viewer)

So this is where we're at now?
You should listen to Harris' breakdown of Jimmy G to Goodwin (think it was yesterday's podcast.)

The 49ers may not always get the soft Cover 2 they were facing last week, but a couple things that game did highlight: 1) Goodwin is not just JJ Nelson (straight line speed & not much else), and 2) Jimmy is really precise on some throws that are a challenge to most starting QBs.

Contrast with Duck Hands Evans. OK, I'm not a dynasty guy, but he's always like 1st/2nd/3rd ranked WR, right? Ton of things to love about his career trajectory. For this year, for this week, in redraft? Well, where do you want to start? 12th in targets, 52% catch rate, 17th in yards, still looking for his first 100 yard game of the season.

It's like saying "I drafted Dez as my WR1 and I don't bench my studs." No, what you're actually saying is "This guy hasn't carried my team for a single game all season but doggonit I drafted him to be a stud and sooner or later I'm recapturing that Sunk Cost."

Good luck with that.

Right now I have Drake over Freeman and i'm nervous. Freeman getting some touches but not TDs. Williams probably out again. 

DocHolliday said:
Considering sitting Mike Evans for Goodwin. 
Didn't mean to cause panic with my decision making process.  I was only considering it but I will not have the stones to sit Evans.  I am also considering sitting Robby Anderson for Goodwin as well. Anderson will likely draw Talib while Goodwin faces a weak pass D. 

Anderson is not even a "stud" even though he has been my best WR for the last few weeks.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I have Drake over Freeman and i'm nervous. Freeman getting some touches but not TDs. Williams probably out again. 
That seems like a good call to me based on volume. The Falcons are just not using their RBs in the passing game the way they were a year ago.

The only possible problem is the somewhat predictable game flow. NE has been playing soft Cover 2 all season in the first half and they're basically saying "Oh, you're sticking with your run game. Good luck keeping up.", and then inevitably they start to pull away so teams give up on the run. Drake is a 3 down back with Williams out (likely) but by then they'll probably be trying to go vertical with Stills or throwing incompletions to Parker.

But then again, fantasizing game flow is not the best predictive tool for basing lineup decisions on; there are times when the most obvious answer is the correct one. I think KD is a lock for 25 carries + targets, and he's got some nice juke in him.

Didn't mean to cause panic with my decision making process.  I was only considering it but I will not have the stones to sit Evans.  I am also considering sitting Robby Anderson for Goodwin as well. Anderson will likely draw Talib while Goodwin faces a weak pass D. 

Anderson is not even a "stud" even though he has been my best WR for the last few weeks.   
To me, Anderson has put up "stud like numbers" since week 8:

6 - 104 - 1 TD

4 - 48 - 1 TD

4 - 85 - 1 TD

6 - 146 - 2 TD

8 107 - 0 TD

I would roll with that dude vs. Denver...

To me, Anderson has put up "stud like numbers" since week 8:

6 - 104 - 1 TD

4 - 48 - 1 TD

4 - 85 - 1 TD

6 - 146 - 2 TD

8 107 - 0 TD

I would roll with that dude vs. Denver...
He has performed like a stud but does not have the "stud" name.  Unfortunately, Anderson pulled a hammy in practice today so my decision at WR has been made for me. 

Same delimma. Not sure what to think. If Williams doesn't play I feel better but no way to know before tonight's Atl game

I'm seriously considering putting Mike Davis in over Jordan Howard. The Bears are a dumpster fire, something tells me Howard's shoulder isn't right and now their best lineman (Long) is out for the year. Last week, even with a positive game flow and a juicy matchup, Howard killed me. As he has several weeks this year. This week, it could end my season. 

I scored him with a mid-2nd round pick and expected him to be my bellcow. While he's had his weeks, he's hurt me more than helped me. Sounds like many here in the same boat.

Davis is unproven and Jacksonville on the road is not ideal, but his arrow is heading up while Howard's is heading down. Really struggling with this one though...

You should listen to Harris' breakdown of Jimmy G to Goodwin (think it was yesterday's podcast.)

The 49ers may not always get the soft Cover 2 they were facing last week, but a couple things that game did highlight: 1) Goodwin is not just JJ Nelson (straight line speed & not much else), and 2) Jimmy is really precise on some throws that are a challenge to most starting QBs.

Contrast with Duck Hands Evans. OK, I'm not a dynasty guy, but he's always like 1st/2nd/3rd ranked WR, right? Ton of things to love about his career trajectory. For this year, for this week, in redraft? Well, where do you want to start? 12th in targets, 52% catch rate, 17th in yards, still looking for his first 100 yard game of the season.

It's like saying "I drafted Dez as my WR1 and I don't bench my studs." No, what you're actually saying is "This guy hasn't carried my team for a single game all season but doggonit I drafted him to be a stud and sooner or later I'm recapturing that Sunk Cost."

Good luck with that.
For gods sake can we please stop calling him Jimmy G? There is only one Jimmy G and he only plays in SF once per year (if healthy).

For gods sake can we please stop calling him Jimmy G? There is only one Jimmy G and he only plays in SF once per year (if healthy).
I'm not a very good speller  :lol:

On the day of the trade, the thread title was something like "49ers give up 2nd Rounder for Jimmy G." I was like wow, they really overpaid for an oft-injured guy on the wrong side of 30 at a not terribly important position. But hey, this is the team that gave us Jim Tomsula.

:lmao:

I'll check back in a few days to see how that turns out. I am in set it and forget it mode in general. I couldn't possibly do what you are planning on doing.
It could still end up being the wrong move but with a 6-83-1 line from Sanu, I’d sign up for that and I feel better about the move.

I originally had Hyde and Drake in over Freeman. 

Swapped Freeman in last second and got lucky. 

Now I still have Drake in over Hyde. 

You don't really know if it's ballsy or stupid until after the games are played. 
Does it have to be "or"?  Can't it be "and"?   :)   Not sure if my decision really qualifies as either, but I'm sitting Russell Wilson for Philip Rivers this week.

Does it have to be "or"?  Can't it be "and"?   :)   Not sure if my decision really qualifies as either, but I'm sitting Russell Wilson for Philip Rivers this week.
Seems like a sound decision.  That doesn't mean it is correct.   

I have Stafford and Cam.  If Stafford can’t go, myfbg says I should play Kizer off the waiver wire.  That’s crazy, right?   Right!?!?
I wouldn't start him over Cam. But I did pick him up and I am starting him over Goff and Carr. I don't think that's such a ballsy call, though.

I also grabbed Bernard off waivers and I'm starting him (ppr). But he's starting over Emmanuel Sanders (or Mike Davis), so again, not exactly sitting a "stud."

It does feel odd to be starting two guys fresh off waivers in the playoffs, though.

I wouldn't start him over Cam. But I did pick him up and I am starting him over Goff and Carr. I don't think that's such a ballsy call, though.

I also grabbed Bernard off waivers and I'm starting him (ppr). But he's starting over Emmanuel Sanders (or Mike Davis), so again, not exactly sitting a "stud."

It does feel odd to be starting two guys fresh off waivers in the playoffs, though.
Interesting, because I would be fairly happy to be playing Goff  over Cam, and feel like Carr has a much higher floor than Cam.

Benching Mike Evans for Goodwin.  Not sure if Evans qualifies as a "stud" anymore, but I just have no confidence in him at all for fantasy right now, and definitely like Goodwin's upside.

Pigskin P said:
I'm seriously considering putting Mike Davis in over Jordan Howard. The Bears are a dumpster fire, something tells me Howard's shoulder isn't right and now their best lineman (Long) is out for the year. Last week, even with a positive game flow and a juicy matchup, Howard killed me. As he has several weeks this year. This week, it could end my season. 

I scored him with a mid-2nd round pick and expected him to be my bellcow. While he's had his weeks, he's hurt me more than helped me. Sounds like many here in the same boat.

Davis is unproven and Jacksonville on the road is not ideal, but his arrow is heading up while Howard's is heading down. Really struggling with this one though...
no vontaze burfict......

I've spent more time debating this Cam vs Wilson decision than I have over any lineup decision in years.  I looked at numerous projections and a bunch of statistical research (SEA/CAR last 4 games on offense, JAX/MIN last 4 games on D, all JAX/MIN opponents in the last 4 games, etc.) -- everything points to Wilson as the choice.  Cam has a slightly better matchup (still not good) but he's been performing much worse that Wilson and all of Cam's weapons are hurt.

So I picked up J. McCown :D   I'm still not comfortable with starting Wilson as I see a lower floor than most other scoring system - this league favors passing yards above all other statistical category and JAX allows the fewest yards through the air.  SEA and NYJ both play in the 4 o'clock window so I will assess the situation at around 3:30 on Sunday - if I'm winning the game based on the 1 o'clock action I'll stick with the safer play in Wilson.  If I'm losing I'll go wit the boom-bust option McCown at DEN.

I know you all couldn't wait for my update ;)

Putting a lot of consideration into starting Dalton over Cam in a 2qb league.  

Dalton has been consistent the past couple of weeks and Cam has a tough matchup with MN and Funchess and Olsen less than 100%.

Why? Diggs is going to get about 5 targets. You think he might blow up on those numbers or is he suddenly going to get a huge number of passes? Do you have some reasons behind this besides a gut feeling? 
5-70 and a TD is 18pts. I'll take it

Thinking about Gabbert over Cousins. At least they both play in the late game so if I need a home run, I'll go Cousins. If I'm looking OK and need something solid, I'll go Gabbert. Heaven help me.

Thinking about Gabbert over Cousins. At least they both play in the late game so if I need a home run, I'll go Cousins. If I'm looking OK and need something solid, I'll go Gabbert. Heaven help me.
I also have cousins, I see his floor at 190, 2tds but possible 2 int.  gabbert available but leaning cousins

Good reasons for benching studs for lesser players have been listed here, but in the end I can live with losing playing my studs in the FF playoffs over playing a lesser player and the studs go off.  That would bother me more than losing.  I guess the definition of studs is debatable too.

He has performed like a stud but does not have the "stud" name.  Unfortunately, Anderson pulled a hammy in practice today so my decision at WR has been made for me. 
Not pulled...practiced Friday and now isn’t in the injury report.

I have both Goodwin and Anderson as well and have gone back and forth in them this week because of that injury Thursday.

With news that Abdullah is being benched today, I'm benching Hunt (not really a stud these days) for Riddick or Tion Green in PPR.  

Thankfully, I decided I’d rather lose with Howard in my lineup than lose with him blowing up on my bench. He’s scored 27.5 points with the clock still running and it looks like I’m going to win my first playoff game handily.

So, yeah. Always start your studs.

Pigskin P said:
Thankfully, I decided I’d rather lose with Howard in my lineup than lose with him blowing up on my bench. He’s scored 27.5 points with the clock still running and it looks like I’m going to win my first playoff game handily.

Benched Howard and now find myself wishing a torturous death on him.  I need some time out time to cool down 

Pigskin P said:

Unless the stud is no longer a stud.   I'm talking about you Mike Evans.  Shame on me for knowing not to start him but starting him anyway.  

Unless the stud is no longer a stud.   I'm talking about you Mike Evans.  Shame on me for knowing not to start him but starting him anyway.  
I did the same thing. Everything told me to sit him but I started him anyway. Never to be trusted again.

I had D. Lewis and Bernard queued up and at the last minute chickened out and put Fournette and Gordon back in.

So far, looks like the wrong choice.  Always too conservative with my start/sit choices.

I had D. Lewis and Bernard queued up and at the last minute chickened out and put Fournette and Gordon back in.

So far, looks like the wrong choice.  Always too conservative with my start/sit choices.
TD from Gordon helps

With news that Abdullah is being benched today, I'm benching Hunt (not really a stud these days) for Riddick or Tion Green in PPR.  
I benched Hunt for Riddick. It worked out, but it reflects that studs can bounce back even when they've been down lately. 

seriously considered benching Howard or Hyde for Burkhead after reading this thread last night. I stayed put and Burkhead could still go off, but looking like I get past my first round playoffs.

on a side note, i have a tendency to fall in love with specific players i drafted and root for, often to the detriment of my season. these two guys -- hyde and howard -- fall into that category. i got lucky this week obviously, hyde had a bad matchup and no way you can expect this kind of a performance from howard regularly. but i can't be the only one who make decisions based on a certain sense of loyalty to specific players, especially in keepers and dynasty. right?

Benched Howard for Gio. :(

Hung on to win thanks to Brown and Boswell Sunday night. (NOT you, Brady!)

Have a similar "stud" in Hilton... :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread